All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

What the hell is wrong with this man? Even if you consider this rather benign and acknowledge that names aren't mentioned, he states that a trade(s) was close to happening and would have happened if the other teams hadn't backed out of the deals. Why? Why would you say this? The only statement that an owner or GM should make is something along the lines of, "we had some discussions, but we didn't like what was being offered". No deals were done Glen, so what's the purpose of planting in any player's head the possibility that he was on the brink of being shipped out, particularly in a season where we've seen the first baby steps towards success and chemistry in what feels like forever.
Glen is beyond stupid when it comes to keeping his trap shut. He will never learn.

What the hell is wrong with this man? Even if you consider this rather benign and acknowledge that names aren't mentioned, he states that a trade(s) was close to happening and would have happened if the other teams hadn't backed out of the deals. Why? Why would you say this? The only statement that an owner or GM should make is something along the lines of, "we had some discussions, but we didn't like what was being offered". No deals were done Glen, so what's the purpose of planting in any player's head the possibility that he was on the brink of being shipped out, particularly in a season where we've seen the first baby steps towards success and chemistry in what feels like forever.

Judging by this board and the internet, bet they've been getting a LOT of complaints about not doing anything at the deadline. He also prides himself on being open. Also it's pretty doubtful that any player who could be traded wasn't aware of that.

All that saId, the unsaid could be that he'll be 81 in April.

Doogie on Skor North said the Wolves thought they had a deal made for Montrez Harrell, but at the last minute, Charlotte came in and made a better offer. Doogie did not say what the Wolves were offering, but he said the Wolves thought it was a done deal.

Still a chance they could pick somebody up who gets released or bought out by another team, but that might put the Wolves over the luxury tax, and any player has to be added by March 1st or 2nd in order to be eligible for the playoffs.

in other words, it looks like play the hand you've been dealt.

Doogie on Skor North said the Wolves thought they had a deal made for Montrez Harrell, but at the last minute, Charlotte came in and made a better offer. Doogie did not say what the Wolves were offering, but he said the Wolves thought it was a done deal.

Still a chance they could pick somebody up who gets released or bought out by another team, but that might put the Wolves over the luxury tax, and any player has to be added by March 1st or 2nd in order to be eligible for the playoffs.

in other words, it looks like play the hand you've been dealt.
Charlotte got Harrell for a 33-year old journeyman point guard and a raw, big man project in Vernon Carey, Jr., so it's not like they paid big to get him.

The Wolves (31-27) host Toronto (31-25) tonight at 7:00. Interesting to see if Edwards will play and how much if he does.

LINE: Timberwolves -2.5

BOTTOM LINE: Minnesota will try to keep its seven-game home win streak intact when the Timberwolves take on Toronto.

TOP PERFORMERS: Towns is averaging 24.4 points, 9.7 rebounds and four assists for the Timberwolves. Anthony Edwards is averaging 19.7 points over the last 10 games for Minnesota.

Pascal Siakam is scoring 22.0 points per game and averaging 8.7 rebounds for the Raptors. Gary Trent Jr. is averaging 4.1 made 3-pointers over the last 10 games for Toronto.

The Timberwolves have gone 17-10 at home. Minnesota is eighth in the Western Conference with 47.2 points per game in the paint led by Karl-Anthony Towns averaging 11.9.

The Raptors are 15-12 on the road. Toronto ranks second in the NBA with 13.2 offensive rebounds per game led by Scottie Barnes averaging 2.5.

LAST 10 GAMES: Timberwolves: 7-3, averaging 125.6 points, 43.4 rebounds, 29.2 assists, 8.2 steals and 5.7 blocks per game while shooting 48.1% from the field. Their opponents have averaged 119.7 points per game.

Raptors: 8-2, averaging 116.3 points, 45.4 rebounds, 22.2 assists, 9.6 steals and 4.5 blocks per game while shooting 46.5% from the field. Their opponents have averaged 110.9 points.

INJURIES: Timberwolves: McKinley Wright IV: out (arm), Anthony Edwards: day to day (ankle).

Raptors: Fred VanVleet: day to day (knee).

Wolves really need this All Star break. They were awful in the 4th Quarter last night. They were up 74-72 after 3, and were outscored by 14 in the 4th, and lost 103-91

Looking at the Box Score, Edwards had no business trying to play last night on that ankle either.

as much as people want the Wolves to be relevant, I'm starting to think that this is a .500 team.

just too inconsistent.

If I had to bet, I would say they wind up in the play-in tournament. even if they advance, I see them getting knocked out in the first playoff round.

as much as people want the Wolves to be relevant, I'm starting to think that this is a .500 team.

just too inconsistent.

If I had to bet, I would say they wind up in the play-in tournament. even if they advance, I see them getting knocked out in the first playoff round.
Last I checked a .500 team is better than a .300 team and a play-in/playoff team is better than a goin' home team. If they are .500 next year, you can bitch about it. For now, enjoy it. Sheesh!

just too inconsistent.

Think they will win more games than 41, but not many more. They have no depth. Though if they do end-up at 41-41 that will be their 2nd best record since 04-05.

Did people really expect them to win 20-30 more games than they did the last year?

Now 31-28
20-21 23-49
19-20 19-45
18-19 36-46
17-18 47-35
16-17 31-51
15-16 29-53
14-15 16-88
13-14 40-42
12-13 31-41
11-12 26-40
10-11 17-65
09 -10 15-67
08-09 24-58
07 -08 22-60
06 -07 32-50
05-06 33-49
04-05 44-38

Rest are at the link.

Last edited:

KAT won the only event on All-Star Saturday Night that really matters. And he won it, it was not handed to him based on poor performance of others. That was fun. The dunk contest needs a hiatus.

Agreed 100% with this. All of it.

KAT won the only event on All-Star Saturday Night that really matters. And he won it, it was not handed to him based on poor performance of others. That was fun. The dunk contest needs a hiatus.
I think it's great that he won it. Anything that gives him more stature in the league and with the refs is good for the team.

KAT used to bug me the way he played, but he is a big-time superstar and probably under-appreciated by the Wolves fanbase.

The dunk-contest last night was a disaster. I blame Cole Anthony, who started the event by taking WAY TOO long to switch his shoes to boots, and his ridiculous amount of missed dunk attempts.
The crowd, judges, and the fans got annoyed by him and his antics. He sucked the life, out of everyone who was watching.

So, I was watching the Gopher game vs Northwestern. Pete Nance plays for NW. He is one of the sons of the great Larry Nance. I looked up Larry Nance on Wikipedia, and found this item about a trade he was involved in. I noted that a couple of guys in the trade have T-Wolves connections:

Nance was involved in a trade between the Suns and the Cavaliers in 1988. Nance's stint in Phoenix came to an end on February 25, 1988, when, with the Suns struggling to a 16–35 mark, he was traded with Mike Sanders and Detroit's No. 1 pick in 1988 (used to pick Randolph Keys) to Cleveland for Kevin Johnson, Mark West, Tyrone Corbin and Cleveland's first (used for Dan Majerle) and second round (used for Dean Garrett) picks in 1988 and the Lakers' second round pick in 1989 (used for Greg Grant).[2]

Curry getting hot was cool. But the lack of real basketball during crunch time was disappointing. Not like the golden era of NBA in 80's and 90s

I think it's great that he won it. Anything that gives him more stature in the league and with the refs is good for the team.
I'm going to wait and see with this. Now that he won the 3 point competition, it would be so wolves- like that he now hangs around the 3 point line more.

I hope that is not the case.

Curry getting hot was cool. But the lack of real basketball during crunch time was disappointing. Not like the golden era of NBA in 80's and 90s

Agreed, that's been my feeling for awhile now. Though I'd say starting this century, Just ruined the game for me. The part that really bugs me is a team wide "ola!" defense. Have heard Reggie Miller, Shaq and Charles Barkley make the same argument.

That said, never looked it up before. Now have read quotes complaining about a lack of defense in the NBA All-Star game from Willis Reed in 1980, Oscar Reed in 1990 and a number of people prior to 2012.

Probably see them again next year too.

Agreed, that's been my feeling for awhile now. Though I'd say starting this century, Just ruined the game for me. The part that really bugs me is a team wide "ola!" defense. Have heard Reggie Miller, Shaq and Charles Barkley make the same argument.

That said, never looked it up before. Now have read quotes complaining about a lack of defense in the NBA All-Star game from Willis Reed in 1980, Oscar Reed in 1990 and a number of people prior to 2012.

Probably see them again next year too.
It's like there's been a progression. Defense starts getting played later and later into the all star games every year until there is none left.

It does suck though. Even if it was for a quarter, seeing the best in the world play serious basketball for 12 mins was great.

In connection with the all-star game, someone put out a new list of the 75 greatest players in NBA history.

Had time to kill, so I went through the list and that sent me on a YouTube rabbit hole to look up highlights of different players. Found clips of Wes Unseld throwing his outlet passes, and I found a video of Kareem hitting skyhooks over all of the great centers.

I remember watching NBA games on TV in the 60's with the Celtics dynasty. But I think my favorite era was the late 60's to early 70's. The Knicks with Clyde and Reed, the Lakers with Wilt & West, the Golden State teams with Rick Barry and of course the Bucks teams with Kareem. Today's players may be better athletes, but I just liked the style of play back then.

I'm going to wait and see with this. Now that he won the 3 point competition, it would be so wolves- like that he now hangs around the 3 point line more.

I hope that is not the case.
Do the arithmetic.

Seems like the Wolves haven't played in a month.

Big win tonight. D-Lo was the man. Had the feeling it was going to be a replay of the Gopher Badger game but they pulled it out.

Big win indeed. Beat the now 41-20 Grizzles, 119-114. Coming back from a 15pt deficit in the process. Ended up splitting the season series with Memphis.

Russell had 37 and was unreal in the 4th when he had 23 of them. Beasley had a bad 1st half but scored 11 of his 17 in the 3rd. Edwards was abysmal on offense, but shut Morant down when they were out there together.

Wolves are now 32-28. They host the 76ers tonight. Then out in Cleveland Monday, before coming back home to host Golden State Tuesday night.

Last edited:

76ers hammered the Wolves last night 133-102. Was watching the Gopher men beat up on Wisconsin so didn't watch or listen to the game. Apparently getting Harden out on the court fired Philly up.

Looking at the box scores since the All Star game apparently Edwards should have stayed home and rested his injury too. They get a couple of days off before another back-to-back Monday and Tuesday nights.

MINNEAPOLIS -- — James Harden had just hit a stepback 3-pointer while being fouled, a move seen countless times from the 10-time All-Star and 2018 MVP. Joel Embiid, his new teammate, raised both hands and met up with Harden at midcourt for a hug.

Philadelphia liked seeing Harden's 3-and-ones finally help the 76ers, and they enjoyed the first exposure of general manager Daryl Morey's experiment to put the two stars together.

Harden had 27 points, 12 assists and eight rebounds in his 76ers debut, Joel Embiid added 34 points and 10 rebounds and Philadelphia routed the Minnesota Timberwolves 133-102 on Friday night..

Karl-Anthony Towns led Minnesota with 25 points, and D'Angelo Russell had 21. But the Timberwolves couldn't replicate the dramatic win in Philadelphia earlier this season.

"The most costly thing tonight, and it might not be on the stat sheet, was that we were looking for shortcuts all night long," Minnesota coach Chris Finch said. "We come down, one pass, try to make a home run play on offense. And more than anything it was our offense that let us down, really."..

Timberwolves (33-29) beat Cleveland (36-25) last night 127-120, at Cleveland. A beat-up Cavaliers team. One that had lost 3 out of the last 4, but was on an 8 game Home winning streak.

Tonight the Wolves host the 43-18 Golden State Warriors. It will be Minnesota's 4th game in 6 days.

“Oh, yeah,” he said with a smile when asked if he likes shooting at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. “This building has great memories for me.”

Towns missed his first three 3-point attempts before taking a pass from guard D'Angelo Russell and calmly knocking down his winner over Cedi Osman. Towns had been surprised his first three 3-point attempts were off the mark.

“The fourth," he said, "was cash money.”

Russell scored 25 points, and Towns and Anthony Edwards added 17 apiece as Minnesota handed Cleveland its first home loss in nearly two months.

Kevin Love led the Cavaliers with 26 points, Jarrett Allen had 21 and rookie Evan Mobley had 15 and 10 rebounds.."

Nice bounce back win last night and an important win. The Philly game got ugly and with Golden State tonight, the fear of a 3+ game losing streak was real. The key to turning a corner is limiting long losing streaks.

Howl Wolves!!

Top Bottom