All Things 2020 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

With Taylor Rogers - he used to have a real "wipe-out" slider that broke across the zone from about 10 to 4 on a clock face.

Now, he's throwing some type of breaking ball that has a lot smaller break and it's a lot flatter. if you hang one of those, it has "hit me" written all over it.

he just doesn't look like the same pitcher.

I would seriously consider using Duffey as the closer, unless they like Romo better in that role.

I'm fine not having a designated "closer" but the order of use in high leverage should be Duffy, Romo, Rogers right now. With May and Clippard not far behind.

In shocking news, Buxton has been put on the injured list with a sore left shoulder. So has Mitch Garver, though he's hitting so poorly it's probably just as well.

Good to see Berrios' breaking ball being so effective last night. When he's got that going he is a really good pitcher.

I feel like the Twins have not looked very good overall this year, yet they are still tied for the 4th highest winning percentage in MLB.

Good to see Berrios' breaking ball being so effective last night. When he's got that going he is a really good pitcher.

I feel like the Twins have not looked very good overall this year, yet they are still tied for the 4th highest winning percentage in MLB.

they have a deep roster, and there is a huge divide right now in baseball talent wise

And yet the Indians are right on their tail. If the play-offs were today, the Twins would be the #2 seed and play Chicago. The Indians would be #5 and play the Yankees. All that separates them is 0.5 game.

The Jeffers kid looks pretty good at catcher. Garver might find himself Wally Pipped.

The Jeffers kid looks pretty good at catcher. Garver might find himself Wally Pipped.
Apropos of nothing, does anyone else have this scene in Dazed & Confused run through their mind whenever they read/hear Mitch Garver's name? Or have I just seen these movie too many damn times?

Apropos of nothing, does anyone else have this scene in Dazed & Confused run through their mind whenever they read/hear Mitch Garver's name? Or have I just seen these movie too many damn times?
My wife and I watch it every year on the last day of school. Been doing it for at least 15 years.

While listening to the Dodgers/Giants Game 1 of twin-bill it was pointed out that if the home team wins before their last at bat, there is no 7th inning stretch. Talk about shortchange, except there are no fans in the stadium to stretch, so I guess it's a moot point.

Also, Twins-Tigers have postponed their game tonight.

Twins deciding to boycott the game. What an absolute shame of a decision.

9 pages on this thread about the Twins and this is your first post-LOL. You really need to find a good therapist, dude.
You looked thru 9 pages to see if I had posted before. Maybe you should take your own advice.

I guess Rob Manfred and the owners have some stroke in setting law enforcement standards?
Maybe somebody more enlightened than me can explain it to me, because I don’t get the point. They postponed today so they could have a double header tomorrow. That hurts who? Mostly the players. TV contract probably isn’t affected, as I’m sure they’re still televising it, so it isnt hurting ownership. Fans can still watch the game, so it doesn’t hurt them. Besides, didn’t the Pohlads donate a bunch of money to “social justice” or whatever the buzzword cause is? I understand this is all rhetorical, as they’re just following the NBA and don’t want to look racist. Such is the world we live; it doesn’t have to make sense, just so long as you don’t look racist or offend the “wokes”.

I don’t know if it’s me getting older, or what the reason is, but I find myself caring less about pro sports than I used to. I still listen to almost every game on the radio, but if they (or another pro league) wanted to protest or strike for a longer period of time for any reason, I think I’d just shrug and say “have at it”.

as we approach 1pm Central time, (Friday, 8-28) Twins-Tigers DH has not started. Raining in Detroit, tarp on the field. They are supposedly meeting to see if they can maybe get one game in. Twins and Tigers are scheduled to play 10 games before the end of the season, so they could make some of those dates a DH.

Weird baseball question.. I heard an announcer say something the other day that got me wondering. If a pitcher loses control of a pitch and the ball hits the dirt but bouncs high enough over the plate, can it still be called a strike?

as we approach 1pm Central time, (Friday, 8-28) Twins-Tigers DH has not started. Raining in Detroit, tarp on the field. They are supposedly meeting to see if they can maybe get one game in. Twins and Tigers are scheduled to play 10 games before the end of the season, so they could make some of those dates a DH.
DH tomorrow. No word on making up the other game, as I doubt they play back-to-back DH on Sunday.

Now website is saying second doubleheader will be Sept. 4 in Mpls. Tigers lose a home game, but I suppose not quite as important as it used to be.

my concern - the Twins are already doing at least one "bullpen game" every turn through the rotation. If they get some DH's stacked up, things could get messy. Now, they'll have DH's on the 4th and again on the 8th.

Clock is ticking for this squad to figure things out. They need to recognize that the ball isn't flying like it was last year. An offensive strategy that doesn't involve everyone swinging for the fences on every pitch is probably in order.

At some point Rocco needs to lay into the guys or get thrown out of a game. We need more emotion/passion/will to win on this squad. It's great to follow the analytics, but at some point there's an emotional level you need to dig in to.
I like the Indians more than us just because of the workman-like attitude. We have the talent and the players, but they have the "it" factor that I think starts with Francona.

At some point Rocco needs to lay into the guys or get thrown out of a game. We need more emotion/passion/will to win on this squad. It's great to follow the analytics, but at some point there's an emotional level you need to dig in to.
I like the Indians more than us just because of the workman-like attitude. We have the talent and the players, but they have the "it" factor that I think starts with Francona.
He's been on my poop list since last year when someone (I think it was Polanco) bunted in a questionable spot and when Baldelli was questioned about it, he said that Polanco would have to answer that because it wasn't Baldelli's call. They won last year in spite of him, not because of him. Kepler pretty clearly half-assed a ball as they were getting pummeled yesterday and I'd be shocked if the manager said anything about it.

And the classic Twins' response - "We think when we get all the injured players back from the IL, that will make more difference than anyone we could add in a trade."

And the classic Twins' response - "We think when we get all the injured players back from the IL, that will make more difference than anyone we could add in a trade."
They'd have a point if Donaldson and Garver hadn't been absolute horsepoop to this point in the season.

Top Bottom