All Things 2020-2021 College Basketball Coach Hire/Fire Thread

I wouldn't be surprised if Romeo Langford was at the core of his failures. He came in looking to me like he was in it for his own shots rather than for Indiana wins. Sometimes the big star will kick start you and sometimes they will do damage.

Paging Kris Humphries!!

Even less experience than Ben Johnson.

He played in the NBA for 12 seasons, played in the finals, and almost won a NBA championship.

Then he worked as an college assistant at a blue blood program, under a HOF head coach, recruiting and coaching for 9 seasons. He was an assistant in two NCAA championship games, where they won one of them. They lost the other on a last second shot.

Yeah Ben Johnson's resume is not even in the same stratosphere as Hubert Davis. Davis' resume is a more college geared version of Juwan Howard's.

Not a head coaching hire, but pretty big assistant coach switch within the Big 12, as Jerrance Howard is moving from Kansas to Texas. As I understand, Howard is one of the top recruiters in the assistant ranks-and he’s leaving his former coach at Illinois to join Beard in Austin. I also see that the Longhorns have two other assistants who gave up head coaching jobs at UTEP and UT-Arlington to join Bears on the sidelines.

The Big 12’s going to be all sorts of fun to watch over these next few years-the Baylor v. Texas clashes should be something to behold.

Not a head coaching hire, but pretty big assistant coach switch within the Big 12, as Jerrance Howard is moving from Kansas to Texas. As I understand, Howard is one of the top recruiters in the assistant ranks-and he’s leaving his former coach at Illinois to join Beard in Austin. I also see that the Longhorns have two other assistants who gave up head coaching jobs at UTEP and UT-Arlington to join Bears on the sidelines.

The Big 12’s going to be all sorts of fun to watch over these next few years-the Baylor v. Texas clashes should be something to behold.

Texas also getting former UTEP HC Rodney Terry.

So in 5 days, Chris Beards priority at Texas has been to fill out his staff apparently. Not that people will care, but Pitino added two assistants last week.

From a strategy perspective as the HC at a new school, I wonder why these former coaches who are now coaches at new school focused on the staff first.

And if UT doesn't win and win big Beard will be gone in short order. Texans do not tolerate losing especially the UT fans.

Texas also getting former UTEP HC Rodney Terry.

So in 5 days, Chris Beards priority at Texas has been to fill out his staff apparently. Not that people will care, but Pitino added two assistants last week.

From a strategy perspective as the HC at a new school, I wonder why these former coaches who are now coaches at new school focused on the staff first.
Experience.

Experience.
also found this:

Former Utah State coach has also hired two assistants — Eric Peterson and DeMarlo Slocum — and has made the rounds with local media outlets to pump up the program he inherited from fired coach Larry Krystkowiak.

Craig Smith already got two assistants in also.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

also found this:

Former Utah State coach has also hired two assistants — Eric Peterson and DeMarlo Slocum — and has made the rounds with local media outlets to pump up the program he inherited from fired coach Larry Krystkowiak.

Craig Smith already got two assistants in also.
I've been wondering how things have been going in SLC, but I've been afraid to look. I presume there hasn't been a mass exodus of players, at least yet?

University of Nebraska men’s basketball coach Fred Hoiberg announced the hiring of former Chicago Bulls assistant Nate Loenser (pronounced Lenzer) to the Husker coaching staff on Tuesday (April 6).​

He asked all the players to stay, but I didn't look or see any transfer/portal news when i googled craig smith and utah basketball.
If I'm looking in the right place, I see five Utes in the portal, one or two of which are original 3-star recruits, the rest lower. Just for comparison, we have, by my count, four 4-star recruits plus Robbins in the portal.

Last edited:

If I'm looking in the right place, I see five Utes in the portal, one or two of which are original 3-star recruits the rest lower. Just for comparison, we have, by my count, four 4-star recruits plus Robbins in the portal.

Interesting. If he asked them all to stay, wondering where else these players for Utah might be looking. Hopefully by this time next week we'll have a clear picture of who is here and who went elsewhere.

the Baylor v. Texas clashes should be something to behold.
The battle off the court, between their two hoards of boosters pushing over small children to force wads of cash into the hands of recruits and their families, will be another interesting battle.

(doesn't matter if Beard wants nothing to do with it ... the boosters will do it of their own accord, any way, and there's nothing he can do to stop them)

Not a banner year in the Miller family. With only 1 year left on the contract and likely "just cause" I am guessing that Archie has bragging rights in the Family Buyout Sweepstakes.

Not a banner year in the Miller family. With only 1 year left on the contract and likely "just cause" I am guessing that Archie has bragging rights in the Family Buyout Sweepstakes.
I think Reggie does, he's been getting free Wendy's every day the last month or so

The battle off the court, between their two hoards of boosters pushing over small children to force wads of cash into the hands of recruits and their families, will be another interesting battle.

(doesn't matter if Beard wants nothing to do with it ... the boosters will do it of their own accord, any way, and there's nothing he can do to stop them)

Not really. Probably more about Beard is a great coach, has a great eye for proper fits/talent and hustles his tail off on recruiting front, as does Drew. Not like either of them landed the Mobley brothers or other head scratchers.

hustles his tail off on recruiting front, as does Drew.
I see. That's how you do it.

You just have to "hustle" when recruiting. Yeah, yeah, that must be it.

It's amazing that no one else chooses to do this.

An article from cbs sports that pretty much captures my puzzlement about how Arizona handled the Sean Miller situation over the years. Interesting to see Eric Musselman's name tossed into the conversation; like his father, one wonders if any place can hold him for long.

An article from cbs sports that pretty much captures my puzzlement about how Arizona handled the Sean Miller situation over the years. Interesting to see Eric Musselman's name tossed into the conversation; like his father, one wonders if any place can hold him for long.
There's no way Musselman will go to Arizona to take over that mess. He and his wife love Fayetteville and their giant Walmart annuities!

I see. That's how you do it.

You just have to "hustle" when recruiting. Yeah, yeah, that must be it.

It's amazing that no one else chooses to do this.
Hustling is easier if you have a ready supply of cash to dispense

Top Bottom