All Things 2020-2021 College Basketball Coach Hire/Fire Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
UC Riverside is first out of the gate:

David Patrick played a key role in helping LSU land two top-10 recruiting classes during a three-year span under former Tigers' coach Johnny Jones. Now Patrick is leaving a Division I head coaching job in order to return to the SEC.

Arkansas coach Eric Musselman announced Wednesday that Patrick will be the Razorbacks' new associate head coach after he spent the last two seasons orchestrating a major turnaround at UC Riverside. It's an impressive hire for Musselman that positions the Razorbacks to become a national recruiting power. Arkansas landed the No. 8 class in the country in 2020 during Musselman's first recruiting cycle. But all four freshmen in the class are in-state prospects.

Hiring Patrick, who was key in the recruitment of former No. 1 overall prospect Ben Simmons at LSU, should give the Hogs more in-roads nationally on the recruiting scene. That will be key for Musselman, who relied heavily on transfers during his time at Nevada.

Patrick's departure left UC Riverside with a job to fill, and the Highlanders acted quickly by promoting associate head coach Mike Magpayo. The move could help the program find continuity after it finished with a winning record last season for just the second time since it joined Division I for the 2001-02 season. Magpayo previously worked on the staffs at San Francisco, Campbell and Columbia.

"We are thankful for coach Patrick and the work he and our staff have done to turn our men's basketball program around," UC-Riverside athletic director Tamica Smith Jones said in a statement. "He and his team have provided a solid foundation for where we want to take this program and by all accounts, we are ahead of schedule. We wish coach Patrick and his family all the best at Arkansas and I am fully confident coach Magpayo will keep this team on the upward trajectory it is on."

Go Gophers!!

Gregg Marshall/Wichita State chime in:

Go Gophers!!

Didn't find one started yet.

But you know what has started? The firing.

7 years there and NO NCAA Tournaments? OMG. I can only imagine what this board would be like in that scenario.

Good place for Pitino to land, start at a catholic college like daddy did, build from there.

Maybe BC hires Rick Pitino and he brings Richard along as an assistant.

Porter Moser should be near the top of any AD’s coach wish list. He knows what he’s doing.

For nearly 7 full seasons, most fans gave RP every chance. Every chance.

Definitely not true. For that to be true, it would mean the complaints from the 20% who are extremely vocal just began this season. We both know that is not the case.

Definitely not true. For that to be true, it would mean the complaints from the 20% who are extremely vocal just began this season. We both know that is not the case.
Nope. There were a few very vocal a few years ago. Nearly all of those that, today, feel a change is needed, and have seen enough as of this year, have been supportive of rp.
Until this year. I said it after last season.

University of Portland chimed in a few weeks ago and let go of local legend Terry Porter:

Go Gophers!!

Wow! Talk about an attitude of "What have you done for me lately?" 7 NCAA tournaments in 12 years (probably would have been 8 without the pandemic). 7 years of ending the season ranked including 3 top ten rankings. 4 seasons of 30 or more wins. 9 seasons of 20 wins or more in the first 11 years. Doesn't have 20 wins this year but no other power conference team does either at this point.

Wow! Talk about an attitude of "What have you done for me lately?" 7 NCAA tournaments in 12 years (probably would have been 8 without the pandemic). 7 years of ending the season ranked including 3 top ten rankings. 4 seasons of 30 or more wins. 9 seasons of 20 wins or more in the first 11 years. Doesn't have 20 wins this year but no other power conference team does either at this point.
Last three seasons not a promising trend.

Was also caught red-handed, like Will Wade, on the expose released on HBO (great documentary, by the way).

Last edited:

Miller is one of the biggest cheaters out there, it's amazing he hasn't been fired already.

Binghamton chimes in:

Binghamton University announced Monday that men's basketball coach Tommy Dempsey is out and assistant Levell Sanders has been named interim coach for next season.

Athletic director Patrick Elliott said in a news release that Dempsey's contract would not be renewed after his nine years at the helm. Sanders, a former star at Seton Hall, joined Dempsey's staff in June 2019. The school said a search for a permanent replacement would be conducted next year.

Go Gophers!!

Denver chimes in:

Rodney Billups is out as basketball coach at the University of Denver after five seasons.

Billups finished 48-94 at the school where he once was a standout player. The Pioneers were 2-19 overall this season and 1-13 in Summit League play. Denver didn't qualify for the conference tournament in two of the past three seasons.

"We are thankful for Rodney's service and dedication to the program and its student-athletes," vice chancellor for athletics Karlton Creech said in a statement Monday. "We wish him and his family the best in his future endeavors."

Go Gophers!!

Albany chimes in:

University of Albany men's basketball coach Will Brown is out after two decades.

Brown said in a news release issued Monday that he and the school had agreed "to mutually part ways." The 2020-21 season was the final year of his contract extension.

"Anyone who knows me knows this decision was extraordinarily difficult," Brown said in the release. "But I leave the University at Albany with an enormous sense of pride in the positive impact that my staff, my family and, most important, the student-athletes I had the honor of coaching, have had on UAlbany basketball and the greater Albany community."

Go Gophers!!

Per The Athletic:
Arizona State associate head coach Rashon Burno has accepted the head-coaching job at Northern Illinois. Official announcement should come soon.

Burno has been Bobby Hurley's right-hand man over the last six seasons and has had a big hand in shaping the roster.

Top Bottom