All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

What could Rick possibly do to help us? "Hey Davis, it's really not that cold in Minnesota. The Barn is great, my son wore a chicken suit and it made the news for days. That practice facility issue is so overblown. They'll get one eventually. If you stay for 5 years, you might get to use it for 6 months! Go to Minnesota. The girls are a little bigger but they cover it up with sweatshirts all year so you can hardly notice! Skol!"

He's a Hall of Famer for cripes sake...it certainly cannot hurt.

The videos I saw of Martin showed three point range to go with strong athletic ability inside. I'm not sure what you mean by a great change up.

Martin has a decent jumper for a big guy, but this kid looks like a natural jump shooter. He can also shoot off the dribble very well. I see Martin banging in the post more than playing on the perimeter, at least to start. This kid looks like he'd be a little more finesse down low, but can stroke it from mid range and 3 point.

Who knows though. I haven't seen either play in person, just sharing my thoughts based on these videos.

Martin has a decent jumper for a big guy, but this kid looks like a natural jump shooter. He can also shoot off the dribble very well. I see Martin banging in the post more than playing on the perimeter, at least to start. This kid looks like he'd be a little more finesse down low, but can stroke it from mid range and 3 point.

Who knows though. I haven't seen either play in person, just sharing my thoughts based on these videos.

I like Martin's stroke from the outside but I'm not complaining either way. Let's have shooters all over the place. It seems to work well for Wiscy.

It's crazy that we could have 5 or 6 true freshman on the team next year, but also very exciting as a Gopher fan... 5 or 6 new guys to evaluate over the course of a season + they'd all be guys that Pitino brought in to fit his system.

Getting guys that fit his system thing is exaggerated quite a bit on here. He is not going to skip over highly rated player because of a system. All he is doing is going down the list of best available, like all coaches. "Missed out on Anas? ok who is the next best available big?" A lot of kids who aren't exactly that great are getting big time offers right now, and its happens every year, since the big schools start looking for guys to jump on after missing their top target. Frankly I don't understand why a kid would sign early if they aren't a top 100 kid and did not get an offer from their dream school, wait it out and let the dominoes fall. A kid like Martin would have many big time schools going after him and his rating would likely skyrocket(since most recruiting services stop caring about updating kids once they sign) if he would have held out to sign. Luckily for us he signed early. That is why some times its smart to go after guys like martin early, while letting others battle it out for the highly regarded recruits. Obviously you should go after the 5 stars when they are available, but also go after those 3 star players who you think can contribute to your team from the get go.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Richard Pitino will indeed be in Kentucky tomorrow to watch 2014 PF Jackson Davis. He's a Rice decommit. Rick also expected there. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gophers&src=hash">#gophers</a></p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/441747476718956544">March 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With Nevada's David Carter on hot seat, a recruiting name to keep an eye on for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> is Eric Cooper Jr. Originally committed to Arizona.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/441760275516358656">March 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

I'm so excited to se what our roster will look like next year!! Difficult to tell now.

Getting guys that fit his system thing is exaggerated quite a bit on here. He is not going to skip over highly rated player because of a system. All he is doing is going down the list of best available, like all coaches. "Missed out on Anas? ok who is the next best available big?" A lot of kids who aren't exactly that great are getting big time offers right now, and its happens every year, since the big schools start looking for guys to jump on after missing their top target. Frankly I don't understand why a kid would sign early if they aren't a top 100 kid and did not get an offer from their dream school, wait it out and let the dominoes fall. A kid like Martin would have many big time schools going after him and his rating would likely skyrocket(since most recruiting services stop caring about updating kids once they sign) if he would have held out to sign. Luckily for us he signed early. That is why some times its smart to go after guys like martin early, while letting others battle it out for the highly regarded recruits. Obviously you should go after the 5 stars when they are available, but also go after those 3 star players who you think can contribute to your team from the get go.
You are exaggerated.

If you're right then why wouldn't every coach offer the same list of sf if they we're looking for a sf in this years class? There is a reason when you go down the list of players on any recruiting site you see a wildly varied offer list.

Why wouldn't every team looking for a big man recruit Anas and then konote or who ever is next? Because some fit their style and some don't. They have a better sell story to certain recruits because they would fit their style.

On 247 Davis has 36 schools of interest. Quite a long list. Does anybody know who is front runners are?

You are exaggerated.

If you're right then why wouldn't every coach offer the same list of sf if they we're looking for a sf in this years class? There is a reason when you go down the list of players on any recruiting site you see a wildly varied offer list.

Why wouldn't every team looking for a big man recruit Anas and then konote or who ever is next? Because some fit their style and some don't. They have a better sell story to certain recruits because they would fit their style.

Because they don't waste time going after players they know they have no shot at. You don't think Parker or Wiggens are a good fit here, or any where for that matter? is that why they didn't get offers from us? It is wise for coaches to let "big boys" fight over those big time recruits, and go after someone before those big schools move on to them because missed out on their highly rated recruit they wanted. Yes, if there is a player that a coach thinks is a good fit for his team and is underrated, they'll go after him, but that would be early in the process, at this point teams just go down the list. Coaches go after the best players available who they have a shot at, you'll never see highly rated recruit from minnesota not get a minnesota offer because of fit, why? because they have a shot at him.

Because they don't waste time going after players they know they have no shot at. You don't think Parker or Wiggens are a good fit here, or any where for that matter? is that why they didn't get offers from us? It is wise for coaches to let "big boys" fight over those big time recruits, and go after someone before those big schools move on to them because missed out on their highly rated recruit they wanted. Yes, if there is a player that a coach thinks is a good fit for his team and is underrated, they'll go after him, but that would be early in the process, at this point teams just go down the list. Coaches go after the best players available who they have a shot at, you'll never see highly rated recruit from minnesota not get a minnesota offer because of fit, why? because they have a shot at him.

Not all coaches recruit the same. Some coaches carve out a regional niche and recruit all qualified players in that region. They will also deveop connections in one or two areas outside the region, either through specific coaches or AAU programs.
Pitino does not recruit this way. He is a program recruiter. In most cases, the recruits that we look at have connections to successful high school or prep schools. Case in point, both Morris and Mason are products of Arlington Country Day, which has produced numerous D1 players. Mahmoud from West Oaks, Konate from Sunrise, Piper from Rainier Beach, Eubanks from Our Saviors are all programs that have had success, and have players from outside where the school is located. Even Martin, when we recruited him, was at Seattle Prep.
Rarely, if ever will you see him in some obscure gym in North Dakota watching a kid averaging 40 pts a game against bad competition. The kid from Grand Rapids is an exception. I dont think we would be recruiting him though if he was from Grand Rapids, Michigan

Not all coaches recruit the same. Some coaches carve out a regional niche and recruit all qualified players in that region. They will also deveop connections in one or two areas outside the region, either through specific coaches or AAU programs.
Pitino does not recruit this way. He is a program recruiter. In most cases, the recruits that we look at have connections to successful high school or prep schools. Case in point, both Morris and Mason are products of Arlington Country Day, which has produced numerous D1 players. Mahmoud from West Oaks, Konate from Sunrise, Piper from Rainier Beach, Eubanks from Our Saviors are all programs that have had success, and have players from outside where the school is located. Even Martin, when we recruited him, was at Seattle Prep.
Rarely, if ever will you see him in some obscure gym in North Dakota watching a kid averaging 40 pts a game against bad competition. The kid from Grand Rapids is an exception. I dont think we would be recruiting him though if he was from Grand Rapids, Michigan

Good post. I was wondering if we would see subtle changes in Coach P. and staffs recruiting approach. Good stuff to know. Also, I played college ball in North Dakota, and the gyms are obscure, but the folks are very happy to see you.:)

Carlos Morris was named first team all-conference, finishing 4th in votes for player of the year.
Josh Martin was named to the Seattle Times first team all-state team

My new ideal situation for 2014: Piper/Eubanks, one of the 7 footers, and this Jackson Davis Kid. Mason, Morris, Piper/Eubanks, Martin, Davis, 7-footer would be a hell of a class and give us some interesting options next year. That is a lot of true freshmen, but I also think they are all good players that will strengthen the program both next year and over the course of their 4 year career. I could definitely see a transfer mixed in there though.

Lol. How many times have you lowered the bar since you're ideal class of Newton, Whitehead/Vaughn, Travis and Macura if we have room?

I'm just teasing, but you have said "that would be a hell of a class" with 10 different scenarios all slightly worse than the one before.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> 2014 PF target Jackson Davis had 11 pts & 10 rebs in last HS game for Lafayette (KY) in a loss in front of Pitino father and son.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/442122478718947328">March 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> 2014 PF target Jackson Davis had 11 pts & 10 rebs in last HS game for Lafayette (KY) in a loss in front of Pitino father and son.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/442122478718947328">March 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

Louisville has interest in Davis too. Rick wasn't there to pitch Minnesota, according to this article. His dad played for Rick at Kentucky. Another wild goose chase?

...Davis’ father, Johnathon, who played for U of L coach Rick Pitino at the University of Kentucky, told The Courier-Journal on Thursday morning that he spoke with U of L assistant Kevin Keatts for about 20 minutes and the Cardinals probably will have a coach on hand Friday night to evaluate Davis during Lafayette’s game against Henry Clay in the quarterfinals of the 11th Region Tournament....

....Johnathon Davis initially thought that Pitino might come to Lafayette’s game just to support and visit his own son, Richard, the coach at Minnesota, who will be at the game to evaluate Jackson Davis. But Keatts “made it clear” that the Cards “have a strong interest,” too, Johnathon Davis said, and are potentially still seeking power forwards for their 2014 class, which already has five signees and a verbal commitment from 7-2 Anas Osama Mahmoud.....

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...joins-crowd-looking-Lafayette-s-Jackson-Davis

The life of a spring recruit:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mark Fox, Mike Brey and Richard Pitino plus assistants from Boston College, Louisville & Alabama are currently watching Jackson Davis.</p>— Evan Daniels (@EvanDaniels) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/statuses/442082680642215937">March 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Louisville has interest in Davis too. Rick wasn't there to pitch Minnesota, according to this article. His dad played for Rick at Kentucky. Another wild goose chase?

So Louisville has 4 seniors on the roster , has 5 signees plus a verbal in Anas and they are still recruiting ? I've heard of over-signing and showing a current player or two the door , but shooting for 7 recruits with 4 openings is a bit over the top.

So Louisville has 4 seniors on the roster , has 5 signees plus a verbal in Anas and they are still recruiting ? I've heard of over-signing and showing a current player or two the door , but shooting for 7 recruits with 4 openings is a bit over the top.

Louisville is also recruiting the best JUCO PF left on the market. Rumor is Ware's scholarship is going away and there making room in other areas that I don't have knowledge of. Either the Rivals or Scout (I think it's Scout) Louisville site has written a recent article on this very subject. I would think the JUCO PF would be the priority for Louisville and Davis would be a fallback plan.

Didn't someone get dismissed from the team too?

So if Ware leaves than that's six. If they're gonna seven I would assume they'd want a JUCO to balance the classes

So if Ware leaves than that's six. If they're gonna seven I would assume they'd want a JUCO to balance the classes

What's wrong with ware? Is he a potential senior transfer? I know Richard had a relationship with him, didn't he visit him in the hospital when he hijacked his leg??

Edit: medical redshirt. That would keep him at junior eligibility, does the senior graduation rules apply to those that aren't seniors?

What's wrong with ware? Is he a potential senior transfer? I know Richard had a relationship with him, didn't he visit him in the hospital when he hijacked his leg??

Edit: medical redshirt. That would keep him at junior eligibility, does the senior graduation rules apply to those that aren't seniors?

I think you just need a degree to qualify for the grad transfer rule. There were talks of fans wanting Oto to use it for next year and he's a RS Junior.

[SUP][/SUP]
I think you just need a degree to qualify for the grad transfer rule. There were talks of fans wanting Oto to use it for next year and he's a RS Junior.

But oto will have one year left. Ware will have two with this medical redshirt this year.

Top Bottom