All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Huge weekend with Martin and Lachance visiting and Tum Tum taking his last visit. I have a feeling our first commitment is right around the corner.

he canceled the Baylor visit

MN is probably a better opportunity if he's comfortable there. A lot of Brookfield kids go to MN, it's in the B10, a chance to get some early PT and be close enough to home where his family can see him. He didn't even have a high major offer as of this spring, so finding a high-level program in his backyard to play at with the potential to have a role as an underclassmen should be pretty attractive to him. Pitino's system should offer flexibility to play as a 1 or 2 guard. I like him as a deadly shooter and 4-year player, but his physical limitations will keep him as role player throughout his career.

MN is probably a better opportunity if he's comfortable there. A lot of Brookfield kids go to MN, it's in the B10, a chance to get some early PT and be close enough to home where his family can see him. He didn't even have a high major offer as of this spring, so finding a high-level program in his backyard to play at with the potential to have a role as an underclassmen should be pretty attractive to him. Pitino's system should offer flexibility to play as a 1 or 2 guard. I like him as a deadly shooter and 4-year player, but his physical limitations will keep him as role player throughout his career.

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on the situation. I do think we are at a place with roster construction where Pitino can really only afford one more player (it might be Riley) who has physical limitations if he is set on pushing the pace. Very tough to force turnovers consistently with inferior athletes.

I would assume Baylor was looking at Riley as Brady Heslip's heir apparent. Heslip is listed at 6'2 180 and has attempted about SIX 3's a game for Baylor during his two year career. Heslip takes just about one shot a game from inside the arc.

I'd be very happy with LaChance. Really, would their be much difference between him and Macura? At least LaChance can handle the ball, a skill that is valuable in any system. Rated 97 on ESPN (4 star) and 147 on Rivals. It also listed a visit to Michigan St last week (no offer) but the fact is, he can play. Martin and LaChance would be a nice start, then pushing for one of the big names to fill the class out..

It might seem odd to think about as beggars can't be choosers, but if LaChance tries to verbal this weekend, we might hold it off until we hear from Tum Tum (probably in next week).

I'd be just as happy with LaChance as I would with Macura.

I agree that you can't take two guys like him, need athletes to play Pitino ball. Josh Martin is an athlete.

After waiting so long for a commitment, we may have two in short order. Fill out the class with Vaughn and either Tum Tum or Cunningham, and that would be a great start despite all the misses we've experienced this fall.

I'd be just as happy with LaChance as I would with Macura.

I agree that you can't take two guys like him, need athletes to play Pitino ball. Josh Martin is an athlete.

After waiting so long for a commitment, we may have two in short order. Fill out the class with Vaughn and either Tum Tum or Cunningham, and that would be a great start despite all the misses we've experienced this fall.

I too think Martin and LaChance would be a good start. Pitino has said he likes to shoot the three ball alot in his system. LaChance is one if the best shooters in the class so he would be a nice fit. I really like the way Martin has improved his ball handling, and he can also step out and hit a jumper. I'm just trying to figure out if Martin is a SF or PF. He's about the same height as Reid, but he gives up about 25lbs to him as well. Size isn't that important in college though as we all know with Rodney playing the 4. I just don't want to miss out on Reid if we sign Martin, but I guess that is the risk you have to take when you don't have any commitments for 2014 yet.

I'd be very happy with LaChance. Really, would their be much difference between him and Macura? At least LaChance can handle the ball, a skill that is valuable in any system. Rated 97 on ESPN (4 star) and 147 on Rivals. It also listed a visit to Michigan St last week (no offer) but the fact is, he can play. Martin and LaChance would be a nice start, then pushing for one of the big names to fill the class out..

It might seem odd to think about as beggars can't be choosers, but if LaChance tries to verbal this weekend, we might hold it off until we hear from Tum Tum (probably in next week).

Yes. Macura has 2-3 inches on him and is a better athlete. He can also play the 2 or the 3 while Riley can play the 1 or the 2. LaChance would probably struggle a lot more in the press too. Not really the same player. If we can't get Tum Tum then I'd be happy with LaChance, but Nairn would be a much better get.

I too think Martin and LaChance would be a good start. Pitino has said he likes to shoot the three ball alot in his system. LaChance is one if the best shooters in the class so he would be a nice fit. I really like the way Martin has improved his ball handling, and he can also step out and hit a jumper. I'm just trying to figure out if Martin is a SF or PF. He's about the same height as Reid, but he gives up about 25lbs to him as well. Size isn't that important in college though as we all know with Rodney playing the 4. I just don't want to miss out on Reid if we sign Martin, but I guess that is the risk you have to take when you don't have any commitments for 2014 yet.

Pretty confident he would be playing the 4. Pitino wants PFs who can put the ball on the floor and shoot while also being athletic enough to press. Martin fits that pretty well. Really hoping we get him.

Yes. Macura has 2-3 inches on him and is a better athlete. He can also play the 2 or the 3 while Riley can play the 1 or the 2. LaChance would probably struggle a lot more in the press too. Not really the same player. If we can't get Tum Tum then I'd be happy with LaChance, but Nairn would be a much better get.

Not same player, but to me more valuable. He can shoot just like JP. JP won't add anything in terms of ballhandling. I would hope we have athletic wings through recruiting. I guess I was thinking in terms of value. I doubt LaChance would struggle much in the press, he likely would struggle guarding quick guys though. He is smart and would manage just fine. Would rather have a below average athlete as a ball handling 1/2 that can shoot than a 2/3 player that can shoot grades out average in terms of athleticsm (hes not bad, but not going to grade higher than any other 2/3 recruit).

Either would be a fine addition. JP is not coming and I'm not trying to slam him, just saying I wouldn't mind us taking LaChance (in addition to Tum Tum) and its not a bad get.

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 14h

2014 Phelps (PA) SF Terry Larrier has verbally committed to VCU. Major 4-star pickup for Shaka Smart.

Not sure how actively we were still recruiting him, but another Gopher offer off the board.

Pretty confident he would be playing the 4. Pitino wants PFs who can put the ball on the floor and shoot while also being athletic enough to press. Martin fits that pretty well. Really hoping we get him.

+1

Athletic big, who can run The floor and play a little perimeter game. That's what Pitino's system wants in a PF (we think).

Post from 247 staff Kyle Goblirsch:

Riley LaChance visiting this weekend according to Amelia. I shot him a txt and will try to get more from him.

She spoke with his coach and says that location to home is something that's very important. With Riley and Josh Martin both on officials this weekend, Pitino could potentially grab his first in the 2014 class...

When LaChance was a Freshman, I was told by a student at his game that UW-Milwaukee had offered him. His Sophomore year, I heard that he was going to UWM. When I watched his Junior year, I was told his recruitment was open. I'm not sure how credible that path is, but I was always interested in asking people in the Brookfield crowd where his recruitment stood. I've just always had the impression he was interested in staying in the Midwest. Hoping we get him.

Not sure if this was posted, but didn't want to review past posts.

247sports has Milik Yarbrough visiting (official) on 9/21

STrib: Recent Big Ten interest intrigues Gophers PG target Riley LaChance

Before the Michigan State trip, LaChance told me his short list of favorites included Creighton, Vanderbilt, Butler, Baylor, Minnesota and Michigan State. Now, Baylor is obviously crossed off that list and Adams assures me that Iowa is firmly in the mix. Vanderbilt, Butler and Creighton have put in the most time, with the latter jumping in first, LaChance said. But with Big Ten interest percolating in the last two weeks, LaChance is extremely interested in those options, Adams said – particularly Iowa and Minnesota, with their proximity to home.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/224103441.html

Go Gophers!!

Not sure if this was posted, but didn't want to review past posts.

247sports has Milik Yarbrough visiting (official) on 9/21

He isn't visiting this weekend. He still might at some point though.

From a post from @JoshMartin_206 earlier today. Josh has been adding some muscle this summer and could add more without slowing him down. Does anyone know what the Midrange and 3 Point numbers mean?

Today's stats...
Height: 6'9
Weight: 230
Body fat percentage: 6%
Midrange: 422/500
3 pointers: 87/100

The more I read about this kid, the more I feel like he would be a perfect fit for us. Athletic. Can run floor. Can shoot from long range.

Lets hope Pitino can close. Big weekend.

Agreed. We need a PF something fierce. Travis is the first option, but Martin is a close second, and frankly, a better fit with what Pitino wants to do. Would be thrilled if we can close the deal this weekend.

Does this mean that if Pitino locks up Martin, he is saying so long to Travis or would Pitino take both?

Agreed. We need a PF something fierce. Travis is the first option, but Martin is a close second, and frankly, a better fit with what Pitino wants to do. Would be thrilled if we can close the deal this weekend.

I think Pitino wants to win, so there's not much of a comparison - Reid is very good. ;)

I'd think the Gophers have a good chance with Martin (and Lachance), but can't downplay the fact that Reid Travis is a very good basketball player.

Does this mean that if Pitino locks up Martin, he is saying so long to Travis or would Pitino take both?

Good question. I'd say take both. Their game seem completely different. At least in terms of PF.

From a post from @JoshMartin_206 earlier today. Josh has been adding some muscle this summer and could add more without slowing him down. Does anyone know what the Midrange and 3 Point numbers mean?

Today's stats...
Height: 6'9
Weight: 230
Body fat percentage: 6%
Midrange: 422/500
3 pointers: 87/100

It means in his workout today he made 422/500 midrange shots and 87/100 3 pointers.

I always thought he looked bigger than the 6'7" and 215 Ibs the major sites listed him at. My guess is the 6'9" might be an exaggeration (or maybe in some thick shoes) but he sure looks like his frame could hold 230+.

To the other questions, I would bet we keep recruiting Reid Travis, yes. He's a different sort of player than Martin and, if we were so lucky, we could take both. Let's not get ahead of ourselves though. Right now we just need some talent to commit.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2m
.@Isaiah_W15 will announce his college choice Thursday at 2:30, per the school AD

Retweeted by Kyle Goblirsch

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2m
.@Isaiah_W15 will announce his college choice Thursday at 2:30, per the school AD

Retweeted by Kyle Goblirsch

My guess is one of the local schools, St. Johns or Seton Hall. We're out of it, he didn't even visit.

Top Bottom