All Things 2013 Gopher Baseball Season

Still trying to decide whether I want to head down to Target Field in order to watch the game. I am right on the border as of now.

Gophers give up three runs in the first......

4-2 Loss to Indiana for the Gophers, Snelten struggled in the 1st giving up 3 runs but settled down and pitched pretty well after that with the only other run that Indiana got being unearned. Gophers had a couple of chances to add a couple more runs leaving a runner on 3rd in the 8th and leaving guys on 1st and 2nd to end the game. I believe the Gophers now have to win 5 games to win the tournament, I believe the Gophers will play Illinois in the 1st game tomorrow with the winner playing Nebraska but I know in the past there had been some rule about how teams that have already played once can't face each other for a 2nd time until at least the 2nd game Friday but I believe that rule has been changed.

Obviously Crawford will pitch against the Illini tomorrow, but I wonder who will start game 2 if we win?

Let's say we knock out Nebraska too, does Anderson bring Windle back on Saturday?

Obviously Crawford will pitch against the Illini tomorrow, but I wonder who will start game 2 if we win?

Let's say we knock out Nebraska too, does Anderson bring Windle back on Saturday?
I would guess it would be Dalton Sawyer to start against Nebraska if we win and if we make it to Saturday I think we could see Ben Meyer starting that 1st game Saturday or maybe Ty McDevitt or a number of guys combining for a couple innings each out of the bullpen

Gophers beat Illinois 3-1 behind 1 big inning and 6.2 well pitched innings from Alec Crawford with the only run being unearned and Lance Thornvold pitching a good 2.1 innings to get the save. The Gophers need to tighten up the defense going forward as they had 3 errors in this game. The bullpen has been the big bright spot for the Gophers in the B1G tournament throwing 9 innings now and have yet to give up a run. Nebraska is next up at 3:35 today, the freshman lefty Dalton Sawyer will get the start on the mound for the Gophers.

Not looking good right now for the Gophers. down 6-0 to Nebraska top of the 5th. Gophers start the 5th with 2 big hits, 2 on and no out. We got ourself a game now. 3 run homer. 4 run 5th for Minnesota.

Gophers season come to a end at the hands of Nebraska. they loss 7-4 and are out of the Big Ten Tourney.

Gophers missed on a chance early to jump on Nebraska with a 1st and 3rd situation and only 1 out but the next 2 batters struck out. Nebraska would then take advantage of an error and misplay by the freshman pitcher which eventually lead to a 6 run inning but the Gophers battled back in the next half inning cutting the lead down to 2 after a 3 run homerun but just couldn't get over the hump and get all the way back. The Gophers lose 8 seniors: Kurt Schlangen, Troy Larson, Ryan Abrahamson, Andy Henkemeyer, JT Canakes, Kyle O'Shea, Drew Ghelfi, and Billy Soule. That lists includes 3 starting outfielders, starting 3rd baseman, and their closer. The Gophers will also have 2 starting pitchers who will very likely be drafted very high in the MLB draft and have the opportunity to turn pro if they chose in Tom Windle and DJ Snelten.

So no chance at an large bid?
Not really, too many loses to bad teams and not a real strong schedule either really hurt the RPI. Listening to the radio broadcast yeserday it sounds as if the Gophers will be playing a series at Florida State and I belive UCLA was scheduled to be in the DQ classic next season in return for our trip out there this year and I wonder if we also have a return series at Texas next year too, it could be a very challenging schedule next season.

Not really, too many loses to bad teams and not a real strong schedule either really hurt the RPI. Listening to the radio broadcast yeserday it sounds as if the Gophers will be playing a series at Florida State and I belive UCLA was scheduled to be in the DQ classic next season in return for our trip out there this year and I wonder if we also have a return series at Texas next year too, it could be a very challenging schedule next season.

The Gophers have to stop playing 3-4 games against the St. Thomas's each year. Those games are worthless. Will they still be using the dome for early games next year?

The Gophers have to stop playing 3-4 games against the St. Thomas's each year. Those games are worthless. Will they still be using the dome for early games next year?
I've heard that it will be available but I've also heard it won't so I guess I don't really know either way. Listening to the radio broadcasts they made it sound like the Gophers would be doing a lot of travelling early in the season and playing games in Arizona, Florida, and the Carolinas which would lead me to think the dome wouldn't be available but I've heard a lot of the NAIA, DII, and DIII coaches talk about scheduling earlier games there next year instead of taking a spring trip so more of the players families could watch the games which must mean they think the dome will be available, don't know who is right about this but you would think the Gophers would have the inside scoop.

Nebraska-Indiana game

What a fantastic baseball game last night. One of the best college baseball games I've ever seen. Twists and turns, clutch hitting, closer-turned reliever going 7-8 innings in a starting role. Indiana is really, really good, but Nebraska has gotten on a nice roll in the tournament. Pat Kelly of Red Wing is swinging the bat great and has been stellar in the field. He's a gamer.

How often do you see a guy 0 for the tournament (Nebraska catcher Tanner Lubach) step up to the plate in extra innings and deliver a home run to keep his team's season alive? Great theater at Target Field last night.

What a fantastic baseball game last night. One of the best college baseball games I've ever seen. Twists and turns, clutch hitting, closer-turned reliever going 7-8 innings in a starting role. Indiana is really, really good, but Nebraska has gotten on a nice roll in the tournament. Pat Kelly of Red Wing is swinging the bat great and has been stellar in the field. He's a gamer.

How often do you see a guy 0 for the tournament (Nebraska catcher Tanner Lubach) step up to the plate in extra innings and deliver a home run to keep his team's season alive? Great theater at Target Field last night.

Lubach is a local kid from Lincoln, he had been swinging a very hot bat coming into the tournament. Then goes O'fer until the home run. Nebraska's pitching has come out of nowhere.

I've heard that it will be available but I've also heard it won't so I guess I don't really know either way. Listening to the radio broadcasts they made it sound like the Gophers would be doing a lot of travelling early in the season and playing games in Arizona, Florida, and the Carolinas which would lead me to think the dome wouldn't be available but I've heard a lot of the NAIA, DII, and DIII coaches talk about scheduling earlier games there next year instead of taking a spring trip so more of the players families could watch the games which must mean they think the dome will be available, don't know who is right about this but you would think the Gophers would have the inside scoop.

The Metrodome is suppose to come down in Feb of 2014. That when the Dome is suppose to come down.

Any idea why crowds were so low for the Big Ten tourney?

I know it is in Target field but I bet there was not a 1000 people at the two games I watched (Gophers-Indiana) and (indiana-Nebraska). It looked like open seats right behind the plate and nobody anyplace else. Odd.

Any idea why crowds were so low for the Big Ten tourney?

I know it is in Target field but I bet there was not a 1000 people at the two games I watched (Gophers-Indiana) and (indiana-Nebraska). It looked like open seats right behind the plate and nobody anyplace else. Odd.

It doesn't seem that people here really knew about the tournament.

It was a long way for the fans of the top teams to travel considering the tournament began on Wednesday. The Gophers played 3 of their 4 games during the afternoon on weekdays, which definitely affected attendance.

Gopher Recruits for next season
Catcher-Austin Athmann-Roccori High School-Cold Spring, MN-6'2" 220-Bats Right-Throws Right
Pitcher/Infielder-Matt Fiedler-St. Paul Academy-Eagan, MN-5'9" 170-Bats Right-Throws Right
Pitcher/Infielder-Tyler Hanson-Burnsville High School-Burnsville, MN-6'2" 210-Bats Right-Throws Right
Pitcher-Joe Martinson-Minnetonka High School-Chanhassen, MN-6'2" 195-Bats Right-Throws Right
Pitcher-Toby Anderson-Skyview High School-Nampa, ID-6'5" 175-Bats Right-Throws Right
Pitcher-Cody Campbell-Naperville Central High School-Naperville, IL-6'3" 210-Bats Right-Throws Right
Pitcher-Brian Glowicki-Downers Grove South High School-Downers Grove, IL-6'0" 170-Bats Right-Throws Right

Don't know if this will be final or if they will look to add a couple more players if Windle and Snelten decide to sign after being drafted, I would say it is pretty likely that both will sign if they are drafted close to where most project them to be.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130530/SPORTS/130529529/0/FRONTPAGE

Perception-wise it sure would help the Big 10 if it could get a team to Omaha. The B1G hasn't had a team in Omaha since 1984 (Michigan). The Hoosiers' Super Regional schedule for their best-of-3 @ Florida State:

Game 1: Friday, 11 a.m.
Game 2: Saturday, noon
Game 3 (if necessary): Sunday, noon
I like Indiana's chances and think they can advance to Omaha. I really haven't been all that impressed with Florida State when I have watched them this year but I do think last weekend was one of the better performances I have seen from them this season.

I have no doubt Indiana's lineup will be able to hit with anyone. Not as certain IU's starting pitching will hold up, though I think they have a chance to outscore even the very best teams. With Schwarber & Travis, I'll take my chances. Those two are absolute studs at the plate.

Support your fellow rodents, the Beavers of Oregon State. Proof that northern teams can get to and win the CWS. Go Beavs!
BTW, Matt Fiedler is a great kid with a fantastic family.

I have nothing against Oregon State, but it's unfair to compare Corvallis with the typical early spring climate of any B1G school.

Congratulations to Gopher ace Tom Windle who was drafted in the 2nd round and #56 overall tonight by the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Looks like Tom Windle will sign just as most people figured.
Darren Wolfson‏@DarrenWolfson3m
Was just w/ @tomwindle38. Him/his family ran to Ridgedale for Dodgers hats. He has a Dodgers Phiten necklace too. Signs next week. #gophers

Top Bottom