All Things 2013 Gopher Baseball Season

I'll take the Gophers getting in no matter how it happens but they really have to start playing better. They aren't getting the timely hits and are wasting too many good opportunities to score runs which can't happen at this level. Need to get more solid defense and cut out the errors and get back to the good baseball they were playing earlier in the season. Hoping for a well played game from the Gophers tomorrow and a win that they can take some momentum from into the B1G tournament.

With the tournament being held at Target Field, it would be a real let down if the Gophers didn't make the tournament. I hope the Gophers settle this on the field and win tomorrow, but Michigan or Michigan State have to lose to get the Gophers in, I'll take it. Got to cut out those errors.

Thumbnail look at NCAA baseball tourney field: The Bubble

Through Friday, May 17, I come to a rough estimate of 50 NCAA bids locked up, with 30 of those being automatic bids. Conservatively (with an expanded bubble) I have 29 teams competing for those remaining 14 bids.

Teams noted with a double ** are currently projected into the tournament field by both the Baseball America and Chasing Omaha web sites.

29 for 14 Spots (RPI in parentheses)
1. San Diego (55)
2. Houston (54)
3. Notre Dame (43)**
4. FAU (37)**
5. Coastal Carolina (45)**
6. North Florida (50)
7. Michigan State (41)**
8. Austin Peay (45)
9. UCSB (51)
10. Kentucky (42)**
11. Pitt (65)**
12. Troy (35)**
13. Auburn (34)
14. Ohio State (60)
15. BYU (61)
16. Illinois (29)**
17. Oklahoma (58)**
18. UC Irvine (66)**
19. Kansas (62)
20. William & Mary (38)**
21. San Francisco (57)
22. Maryland (33)
23. Stanford (94)
24. Seton Hall (36)**
25. Baylor (64)
26. Texas A&M (40)
27. Creighton (59)
28. South Florida (53)
29. Arizona (70)

Saturday's Key Games
Pitt @ Louisville
Troy @ South Alabama
Arkansas @ Auburn
Indiana @ Ohio State
Oklahoma @ Kansas State
UC Irvine @ Cal State-Fullerton

Michigan taking care of business so far, up 4-0 on Nebraska in 3rd. Nebraska's starting pitcher looks awful. Erstad finally pilled him.

Michigan State wins 2-1; Michigan winning 10-5

Gophers may need to win to get in B1G Tournament.

Darrin Erstad needs to recruit some pitchers. Nebraska's pitching staff is positively awful.

Gophers just beat Illinois 2-0 to clinch a spot in the Big Ten Tourney.

Pairings are set:

Byes
#1 Indiana/Ohio State winner
#2 Indiana/Ohio State loser

Wednesday
12:05 p.m.: #4 Gophers vs. #5 Illinois
3:35 p.m.: #3 Nebraska vs. #6 Michigan

Good all around game from the Gophers to clinch a B1G tourney spot. Great pitching from DJ Snelten throwing 8 scoreless innings which included getting out of a 1 out bases loaded jam in the top of the 8th and then a good job by Billy Soule to close the game with 3 straight outs after Snelten walked the leadoff hitter. Gophers finally came through with some clutch hits and also played a good defensive game as well. Hopefully this win can give the team some momentum heading into the tournament and I think it will help this team playing at Target Field just because of the team pitching strength, I believe the key for this team to have success will be getting some timely hits. Looks like it will be a couple of rematches of this weekends games in the 1st round of the tournament as well which could be interesting.

Heading into Championship Week: Roughly 71 teams in the hunt for 52 bids

Will edit this daily as we wind our way toward Selection Monday. ... (updated Wednesday a.m.)

Wednesday's Projected Cutline Bubble Range: #48-51

There are 11 D-I baseball conferences that absolutely will receive only 1 bid to the 64-team NCAA Tournament. They are: America East (TBD); Atlantic 10 (TBD); Horizon (TBD); Ivy (Columbia); Metro Atlantic (TBD); MAC (TBD); MEAC (Savannah State); Patriot (Army); SWAC (Jackson State); Summit (TBD); and WAC (TBD). In addition, Cal State-Fullerton (#7 in RPI) has already clinched the Big West's automatic bid, meaning 12 bids are locked up. That leaves roughly 71 teams -- at least marginally -- in the hunt for the remaining 52 bids, 18 of which will be automatic qualifiers. All listed teams are in the RPI top 75 and have an overall record over. 500.

AUTO BIDS ALREADY EARNED (5)
Big West: #7 Cal-State Fullerton (45-8)
Ivy: #100 Columbia (27-19)
MEAC: #180 Savannah State (33-20)
Patriot: #195 Army (27-21)
SWAC: #253 Jackson State (31-20)

71 Teams under Consideration for 52 Bids (listed in order of RPI & still have games remaining)
1. Vanderbilt (SEC tournament top seed)
2. North Carolina (ACC top seed)
3. Virginia
4. Oregon State (current Pac 12 leader)
5. Florida State
6. LSU
8. Oregon
9. NC State
10. Mississippi State
11. Clemson
12. South Carolina
13. Louisville (Big East top seed)
14. Indiana (B1G top seed)
15. Virginia Tech
16. UCLA
17. South Alabama
18. Ole Miss
19. Kansas State (Big 12 top seed)
20. Miami-Florida
21. Arizona State
22. Georgia Tech
23. Cal Poly
24. Louisiana
25. NC-Wilmington (Colonial top seed)
26. Alabama
27. Mercer (Atlantic Sun top seed)
29. Illinois
30. Austin Peay
31. Troy (Sun Belt top seed)
32. FAU
33. Oklahoma State
37. Seton Hall
38. William & Mary
39. Coastal Carolina
40. Texas A&M
41. Sam Houston State (Southland top seed)
43. Campbell (Big South top seed)
45. Rice (Conference USA top seed)
46. Notre Dame
47. New Mexico (Mountain West top seed)
48. Bryant (Northeast top seed)
49. Arkansas
50. Western Carolina (Southern top seed)
51. Oklahoma
52. BYU
54. San Diego
55. San Francisco
56. North Florida
57. Houston
58. Creighton
59. Arizona
60. Ohio State
61. Florida Gulf Coast
62. UCSB
63. South Florida
64. Baylor
65. Pitt
66. Southeastern Louisiana
68. Belmont
69. Illinois State (Missouri Valley top seed)
72. Long Beach State
73. East Carolina
74. UNLV
75. Stanford

Season Completed (Locks/Squarely on the Bubble/Longshots)
Locks

Squarely on the Bubble
28. Florida (29-28, 14-17)
36. Auburn (33-23, 13-18)
34. Michigan State (33-17, 12-9)

Longshots or "No-Shots"
35. Maryland (30-25, 11-19)
42. Kentucky (30-25, 11-20)
53. Wake Forest (28-27, 9-20)
71. Texas (27-24, 7-17)

Notes
** #82 Tennessee Tech (Ohio Valley) and #93 Gonzaga (West Coast) are the top seeds in their conference tournaments but are not in the RPI top 75. Both conferences have lower-seeded teams with RPI rankings in the top 75.

** In 2012 Sam Houston State (#52) had the worst RPI among at-large selections, while Maryland (#33) had the best RPI left out of the tournament.

So I'm assuming the Gophers need to win the B1G to make the tourney??

Yes, the Gophers, Michigan, and Nebraska must win the B1G tourney to make the NCAA tourney.

Indiana is a lock, and it would behoove Illinois and especially Ohio State to do some damage @ Target Field. I don't think Michigan State can be ruled out completely, either, though I'd be quite surprised if a B1G team received an at-large bid after not playing in the conference tourney. That might happen with an ACC or SEC team, but I suspect not for one from the B1G.

Have my rain gear ready for today, but Thursday and Friday look like they'll be great days for outdoor baseball.

Great play by the Illini catcher. This will be a close finish, but I think the Gophers will win. GO GOPHERS!

Bottom of the ninth......lead off double in a tied game. Looking like the Gophers may be playing tomorrow!

Gophers got the timely hits they needed for the most part and got some great relief pitching from Meyer in the win. Windle really didn't have his best but battled and limited the damage from Illinois, but Illinois has to really be thinking about how many guys they left on base. Seems like Henkemeyer really has a flair for the dramatic adding the walk off hit today to the last homer in old Siebert and 1st hit in new Siebert as well. Would guess that Snelten would get the start tomorrow regardless of whether we face Indiana or Ohio State.

I won't be able to make a game until Saturday, so the Gophers will have to do really well for me to be able to watch. What was the attendance like? The stats don't show the attendance. The rain and being at noon on a work day couldn't have helped. Plus, Target Field is a pretty big for a college baseball game, that makes even a good crowd look thin. Still, those who were there got to see a good game. I was happy to have been able to watch the last game at Siebert Field.

With Nebraska beating Michigan 11-2 this afternoon it sets up a schedule for tomorrow of:
12:05- #6 Michigan vs. #5 Illinois ELIMINATION GAME
3:35- #3 Nebraska vs. #2 Ohio State
7:05- #4 Minnesota vs. #1 Indiana

Are there concessions open? I'm assuming I won't be able to buy a beer since it's a college event?

I won't be able to make a game until Saturday, so the Gophers will have to do really well for me to be able to watch. What was the attendance like? The stats don't show the attendance. The rain and being at noon on a work day couldn't have helped. Plus, Target Field is a pretty big for a college baseball game, that makes even a good crowd look thin. Still, those who were there got to see a good game. I was happy to have been able to watch the last game at Siebert Field.

Look like 75 or so for the Gopher game.

Pioneer Press says 731 for attendance. Not exactly stellar, but considering it was a Wednesday noon start in cold, drizzle...what do you expect.

Wednesday's game began at 12:09 p.m. despite steady rain that kept most of the small crowd -- attendance was announced at 731 -- seeking cover in the stadium's concourse area. Game-time temperature was 50 degrees.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...eball-gophers-beat-illinois-tournament-opener

Championship Week Update: Through Thursday, May 23

Will update this daily as we wind our way toward Selection Monday. ... (updated Friday a.m.)

Friday's Projected Bubble Cutline: between #40-47

There are 11 D-I baseball conferences that absolutely will receive only 1 bid to the 64-team NCAA Tournament. They are: America East (TBD); Atlantic 10 (TBD); Horizon (TBD); Ivy (Columbia); Metro Atlantic (TBD); MAC (TBD); MEAC (Savannah State); Patriot (Army); SWAC (Jackson State); Summit (TBD); and WAC (TBD). In addition, Cal State-Fullerton (#5 RPI) has already clinched the Big West's automatic bid.

I've also locked in bids for three teams already eliminated from their conference tournament, meaning 15 bids are locked up. That leaves roughly 68 teams in the hunt for the remaining 49 bids, 18 of which will be automatic qualifiers.

All listed teams are in the RPI top 75 and have an overall record over. 500.

AUTO BIDS ALREADY EARNED (5)
Big West: #5 Cal-State Fullerton (46-8)
Ivy: #104 Columbia (27-19)
MEAC: #178 Savannah State (33-20)
Patriot: #198 Army (27-21)
SWAC: #252 Jackson State (31-20)

68 Teams for 49 Bids (in RPI order & still have games remaining)
1. North Carolina (ACC top seed)
2. Vanderbilt
3. Virginia
4. Oregon State (current Pac 12 leader)
6. LSU
7. Oregon
8. Florida State
9. NC State
10. Mississippi State
11. Virginia Tech
12. Clemson
14. Indiana (B1G top seed)
15. UCLA
16. South Alabama
18. Kansas State (Big 12 top seed)
20. Miami-Florida
21. Arizona State
22. Georgia Tech
23. Cal Poly
24. Louisiana
25. Alabama
26. Mercer (Atlantic Sun top seed)
27. NC-Wilmington
28. Austin Peay
29. Troy (Sun Belt top seed)
30. Illinois
31. FAU
33. Texas A&M
34. Arkansas (SEC tournament leader)
35. Notre Dame (Big East tournament leader)
36. Coastal Carolina
40. Seton Hall
41. William & Mary (Colonial tournament leader)
42. Campbell (Big South top seed)
43. Rice (Conference USA top seed)
44. Sam Houston State
45. Oklahoma State
48. Oklahoma
49. New Mexico (Mountain West top seed)
50. San Diego (West Coast tournament leader)
51. San Francisco
52. Western Carolina
53. Houston
54. Bryant
55. Southeastern Louisiana
57. North Florida
58. BYU
59. Ohio State
60. UCSB
61. Arizona
62. Baylor
63. Illinois State (Missouri Valley top seed)
65. South Florida
67. Pitt
68. Florida Gulf Coast
69. UNLV
71. The Citadel (Southern tournament leader)
73. UC Irvine
74. Belmont
75. Stanford

SEASON COMPLETED (Locks/Squarely on the Bubble/Longshots)
Locks
13. South Carolina (39-18)
17. Louisville (46-12)
19. Ole Miss (37-22)

Squarely on the Bubble -- conference records include conference tournament
32. Florida (29-28, 14-17)
37. Michigan State (33-17, 12-9)
39. Auburn (33-23, 13-18)

Longshots or "No-Shots" -- conference records include conference tournament
38. Maryland (30-25, 11-19)
47. Kentucky (30-25, 11-20)
56. Wake Forest (28-27, 9-20)
64. Creighton (30-18, 13-10)
72. Texas (27-24, 7-17)

Notes
** #80 Tennessee Tech (Ohio Valley), #103 Oral Roberts (Southland), and #150 Sacred Heart (Northeast) are the top seeds and/or lead their conference tournaments but are not in the RPI top 75. Those conferences have lower-seeded teams with RPI rankings in the top 75.

** In 2012 Sam Houston State (#52) had the worst RPI among at-large selections, while Maryland (#33) had the best RPI left out of the tournament.

It was cold @ Target Field yesterday.

Considerig the weather, day of the week, time of day, and location, Nebraska had a nice turn-out from its fans. Not surprising. Seems like NU fans support all their teams very well. Illinois had some people there, too. Michigan maybe had 3 or 4 fans in attendance.

Should be a much nicer day to watch baseball today. Sure hope so. My father never likes to leave a game early, and he was asking out after the 4th inning of the Nebraska-Michigan game. I was in agreement with him.

Top Bottom