All Things 2013 Gopher Baseball Season

Goldy Gopher

Reaction score
The Gopher baseball team will get their season started this weekend as they travel to for a very tough series against the highly touted UCLA Bruins.

Hope they go into LA and win the series. Would be a HUGE start to the season for them.

I see that a couple of projected starting pitchers are out for the Gophers in Crawford and Snelten anyone know a timetable for a return time on either of them?
Also did Matt Puhl transfer or something? I thought he was on the roster when I looked during the fall semester, but don't see him know.
EDIT: I see Puhl had a knee replacement in December. I don't know if he plans to try to come back next season or if he has called it a career, I know it must be a tough situation for him and that is a very tough decison to have to make that I have been through myself.
EDIT: Looks like Puhl graduated after the fall semester and did in fact decide to call it a baseball career.

Great way to start the season for the Gophers with a very nice upset of UCLA 6-2 in 10 innings.

Very nice win! The Gophers have a fantastic program which started with the coaching philosophy of Dick Siebert decades ago. John Anderson is a brilliant baseball mind. I am one of a thousand kids who went to the Minnesota Baseball Academy every summer with all the Gophs coaches and loved it!

Great job by the team and by Coach Anderson. Nice way to kick off the season.

Gophers get beat pretty bad in the final 2 games of the UCLA series and will be back in action for a long homestand at the Metrodome next week.

14-0 and 14-1 certainly put a damper on how I was feeling after Friday night's nice win. Nonetheless, winning 1 out of 3 @ UCLA without your #2 and #3 starters is about what was a realistic expectation. Being outscored 28-1 after the Friday win does make me a little nervous though. Hoping for 2 out of 3 when the other "Blue Blood" on their schedule, Texas, comes to town!

14-0 and 14-1 certainly put a damper on how I was feeling after Friday night's nice win. Nonetheless, winning 1 out of 3 @ UCLA without your #2 and #3 starters is about what was a realistic expectation. Being outscored 28-1 after the Friday win does make me a little nervous though. Hoping for 2 out of 3 when the other "Blue Blood" on their schedule, Texas, comes to town!

Right, but there is a huge drop off in starting pitchers after Tom Windle right now due to the injuries of 2 other starters Crawford, and another MLB prospect DJ Snelten.

Wait until those 2 guys come back, and this should be a very balanced rotation. (just imagine if Oakes stayed around for another season, our rotation would be borderline dominant in the B1G)

I'm still happy to get out of UCLA with one win, and hopefully our two starters get back healthy soon!

Right, but there is a huge drop off in starting pitchers after Tom Windle right now due to the injuries of 2 other starters Crawford, and another MLB prospect DJ Snelten.

Wait until those 2 guys come back, and this should be a very balanced rotation. (just imagine if Oakes stayed around for another season, our rotation would be borderline dominant in the B1G)

I'm still happy to get out of UCLA with one win, and hopefully our two starters get back healthy soon!
I agree there is a huge drop off in experience as well as talent when comparing the Gophers #2 and #3 starters to their #4 and #5. UCLA is a very good team and I am glad to have gotten the 1st game of the series because I had a feeling the last 2 games of the series would go the way they did with the pitching situation. I think when you get Crawford and Snelten back you are looking at one of the best weekend rotations in the B1G.

Texas is definitely down this year. Nebraska plays them this weekend, hopefully they don't start the season 0-7. Should give us an idea of what to expect when the Longhorns come to town. The B1G took a beating this last weekend. Hopefully the Gophers starters get healthy soon.

A weekend rotation of Oakes, Windle, and Snelton would have had me thinking Omaha...

Texas is definitely down this year. Nebraska plays them this weekend, hopefully they don't start the season 0-7. Should give us an idea of what to expect when the Longhorns come to town. The B1G took a beating this last weekend. Hopefully the Gophers starters get healthy soon.

Took a look at Nebraska's non conference schedule. That is a SERIOUS schedule. Wow.

Tough series for Michigan at Cal. Blew one run leads in the 9th of games #1 and #2 only to lose in extra innings. Gave up a run in the 9th of game #3 to lose by one. Indiana with a nice couple of wins. Purdue, okay. The rest of the B1G...whoops.

Gophers take 3 out of 4 on the weekend against Western Michigan.

Wisconsin still hasn't won a game in years. I'm beginning to think they should pull the plug on that program.

Gophers beat NDSU 4-2 behind a Michael Handel homerun and RBI double.

Disappointing start to the Dairy Queen Classic. Dartmouth beat up on Windle and Kray in their first game of the season. Gophers were no hit through 5 last night lose 10-3.

Anyone know if the Gophers Baseball Team will be playing at Target Field at all this year? Thanks! :)

Disappointing start to the Dairy Queen Classic. Dartmouth beat up on Windle and Kray in their first game of the season. Gophers were no hit through 5 last night lose 10-3.
Pretty disappointing DQ Classic overall, Gophers went 1-2 beating Utah and losing to Darthmouth and Northern Illinois.

Gophers beat Hamline 3-1 last night, next up is Western Illinois for a 3 game set.

@gopherbaseball: Tom Windle has just pitched a no-hitter for the #Gophers! Minnesota wins the game, 3-0.

Go Gophers!!

Questionable No-Hitter

@gopherbaseball: Tom Windle has just pitched a no-hitter for the #Gophers! Minnesota wins the game, 3-0.

Go Gophers!!

Western was credited with a hit in the 6th inning on a hopper towards the hole that glanced off the tip of the Gopher third baseman's glove, but it was changed to an error immediately prior to the top of the 9th.

Kinda shady.

Go Gophers!!
Sounded like a great bounce back performance for Windle after a tough start last week against Dartmouth.

Top Bottom