All Things 2013 Bracketology Thread

Dare I suggest turning this into an all things bracketology thread?

1 difference

Joey Brackets and I have one difference at this point. He has Maryland "in", in the Terps' place I have Boise State.

1 difference

Joey Brackets and I have one difference at this point. He has Maryland "in", in the Terps' place I have Boise State.

Gophers need to win a pair this week & start moving their way back to Kansas City.

It helps that every win from here on out is a top 100 excluding Penn State. With that being said every loss is going to be to a top 100 team as well meaning they don't technically count as a bad loss.

Going against my own preaching here. Taking it one game at a time is the best way to savor a season, however. ...

I know it's well down the road, but (I'm thinking absolute worst scenario here) what if the Gophers continue to fart around at .500 or just below? The Purdue game to end the season already scares the bejeebers out of me. The Boilers are getting better & better every week. I sure as h*ll don't want the Gophers sitting at 8-9 heading into West Lafayette, needing a win to feel secure about a tourney bid. I'd advise being over .500 before we play the Boilers.

Going against my own preaching here. Taking it one game at a time is the best way to savor a season, however. ...

I know it's well down the road, but (I'm thinking absolute worst scenario here) what if the Gophers continue to fart around at .500 or just below? The Purdue game to end the season already scares the bejeebers out of me. The Boilers are getting better & better every week. I sure as h*ll don't want the Gophers sitting at 8-9 heading into West Lafayette, needing a win to feel secure about a tourney bid. I'd advise being over .500 before we play the Boilers.
Agree with you about Purdue. I think they are kind of a sleeper team and it does kind of worry me that we have to go there and play them. I do think we will already be over .500 before playing them however.

Hopefully we are 11-6 or 10-7 at worst going into Purdue, need to win At Iowa and hold serve at home who knows maybe we will beat Indiana, they seem to fall asleep at the wheel on the road

The Gophers are usually good for one upset win throughout the Big Ten season. I don't think that the Michigan State home game is going to be our best conference win of the season. I think we win at home against Indiana or beat Ohio St. on the road.

What would really help is a truly significant road win down the stretch.

Iowa would be a solid road win (like Illinois), no doubt about it, but beating either Michigan State or Ohio State would almost be like 2 wins. Beating teams like OSU or Sparty on the road is the best way to get cred with the selection committee. The committee will be more likely to look past your warts (losing @ Northwestern) if you have wins like that.

I think they need at least 9-9 to get into the NCAA tourney. If they are in that position I have to believe they will need to win 2 out of the 3 road games against Iowa, Nebraska and Purdue.

As has been pointed out if this is the worst case scenario being 9-8 going into West Lafayette is bascially a must.

Looks like Lunardi will be updating his bracketology twice a week going forward, Gophers get a #5 seed and back in Kansas City in this version.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
Right now, that's fair. However, I'd love for them not to be a 5 seed. That 5/12 matchup is a death sentence for at least one five seed each year, and knowing the Gophers' luck, I can see them falling victim to the upset.

Mentioned this in another thread, but I think the over/under for this team right now is 11 wins. If we win every game we're "supposed to" (games we're favored in), we get to 11.

I like this current draw, I really think Akron can knock Cincy off and VCU will beat Florida I think the stage is set for Minny and Ohio State to face off in the elite eight. IU should win their region, Michigan I think will have a tough game with Louisville, Duke gets a cakewalk IMO, could see three bigten teams in Atlanta. I also think UK would present problems for Bo Ryan's squad

I still have my hopes up for a 4 seed. We need to pull off an upset at MSU or OSU to get it I think though.

Five and a 4 are essential interchangeable, especially if we are the first five or the last four which seems pretty likely.

The difference would be playing the best 13 seed vs. the worst 12 seed in the first round, and then playing either the worst 4 seed or the best 5 seed in the second round.

1994 all over again, when 10-8 causes panic, but results in a 5ish seed.

wow still a 6 seed, maybe the sky isn't falling afterall, beat a ranked team at home, get a road win over the imbreds, back on track

In theory, if the Gophers win out and win the BTT they could end up with the number 1 overall seed.

Season isn't over by any means.

Hope they turn it around here with a Wisconsin win.

In theory, if the Gophers win out and win the BTT they could end up with the number 1 overall seed.

Season isn't over by any means.

Hope they turn it around here with a Wisconsin win.

I like the way you think lol. 7 losses seems like too many, but then again, if we still have a 13 RPI now, I would imagine we'd be top 3 or so if that were to happen. I say they go ahead and make that happen haha. I just hope the players can see that there is so much time left in this season and they keep working and shut out all the negative vibes around them.

I wonder what the conditions to hold on to a 5/6 seed would be. I imagine we would need at least 5 more wins this year (regular season and BTT). Four wins and we're looking more like a 7 seed IMO.

5 or 6 seems about right considering the RPI. I would think 5 wins - 4-2 in conference and 1-1 in the tourney makes the gophs 22-10 and probably at least a 5 seed. Depending on RPI I would think they might be a 4 if that happened. A lot of other teams will lose as well, and to be a 5 there has to be 16 other teams doing better...

I like ESPN's scenario more.

A Sweet Sixteen matchup with Boeheim would be a dream, we could get a really good read on Tubby's coaching competency too.

Having a week to prepare for a 2-3 zone leaves no room for excuses.

Top Bottom