All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

The only recruit I've seen so far that I think would benefit by redshirting is J.P. Macura in the class of 2014. Believe he needs time to develop a B1G body. I really like McNeil, but don't believe he will ever start. McNeil is reasonably close to having a B1G body and if Coleman actually leaves, he should get fairly big minutes.
The kid has another year and a half to grow. Talking about redshirting if he came here is really getting ahead of yourself. The only way Mcneil redshirts if he gets hurt other wise it isn't happening.

@leeksmith24: Decision is final. I'm a Minnesota Gopher baby!!!!! BIG10 here I come! #Blessed #GodIsGood #Ready #gophers

Go Gophers!!

Looks like Alex Foster is following Tubby to Texas Tech.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tweet from Jeff Goodman:

Tulane transfer Josh Davis has committed to San Diego State.

Tweets from GopherHole:

"Now that #Gophers added 3 new guards, staff focused on adding size. Latest name to emerge is Nkosi Asantewa Ali, a 6-11 JUCO big man."

"Nkosi Asantewa Ali averaged 10 points and 8 rebounds per game as a sophomore at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College. #Gophers"

"Ali was scheduled to visit Pitt a little over a week ago, but that visit was canceled. #Gophers staff now showing interest in the big man."

Go Gophers!!

Is this allowed? Our we allowed to go after a big guy? Ha!

But in all seriousness, I like the position. I have no idea who the guy is so I will not comment on that.

However, I will say what I know Parski1 (or whatever) will say: Oh my god, this is where we have fallen too. This is a joke of program, and we were going places with Tubby. We are gonna finish last in the B1G for the rest of our days because we fired Tubby. This program sucks.

Anyways, in Pitino I trust. I just like that we are going after a big guy now

Tweets from GopherHole:

"Now that #Gophers added 3 new guards, staff focused on adding size. Latest name to emerge is Nkosi Asantewa Ali, a 6-11 JUCO big man."

"Nkosi Asantewa Ali averaged 10 points and 8 rebounds per game as a sophomore at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College. #Gophers"

"Ali was scheduled to visit Pitt a little over a week ago, but that visit was canceled. #Gophers staff now showing interest in the big man."

Go Gophers!!
Hopefully this is just a backup option to Black, Buckles, and King. I don't really see him as being any better than what we have now and if we can add Black, Buckles, or King we would be fine for depth imo.

Tweets from GopherHole:

Go Gophers!!

Fond some video from high school. Seems to be primarily a shot blocking big with good touch around the basket on offense.

Tweets from GopherHole:

Go Gophers!!

Unsolicited advice for Coach Pitino: Don't chase unicorns.

What are the chances that a 6'11 kid who can play is available on May 15? The big man section of the supermarket is so bare that Tarik Black (who lost his starting job on an ok Memphis team) has an offer list that resembles Andrew Wiggins'. It seems incredibly unlikely that Ali is a high major player that somehow is slipping through the cracks...at near 7 feet tall. If Coach Pitino is looking to bolster the frontcourt, my advice is too look for someone who rebounded at a great rate, but has been passed over by other high majors due to being undersized and/or under skilled. Look for a guy like J'son Stamper who was listed at 6'6, but gave the team some toughness and rebounding.

If I were Pitino, I'd bank the scholarship at this point, especially if I projected Buckles to be on the court in 2013. If you can find a guy like Stamper who could play a solid role for 2 years fine, but don't give a scholarship to a guy who is going to be taking up space for 2 (or more) years simply because he balances the roster for 2013-2014. Take your hit this year, and bring in a killer 2014 class. If he's the recruiter he's supposed to be, he can grab a much better player for 2014 than he can find at this date for 2013.

Great news! Assuming he could become eligible, what would our starting lineup look like?

G- Malik Smith
G- Andre Hollins
G/F- Austin Hollins
PF- Rakeem Buckles
C- EE

That's what I'd expect.

I wouldn't pencil Buckles in as a starter just yet, assuming he even ultimately ends up here and can play next year. I think that he would have about as good of a shot as anyone but lets not forget that the guy hasn't even played in a couple of years

Unsolicited advice for Coach Pitino: Don't chase unicorns.

What are the chances that a 6'11 kid who can play is available on May 15? The big man section of the supermarket is so bare that Tarik Black (who lost his starting job on an ok Memphis team) has an offer list that resembles Andrew Wiggins'. It seems incredibly unlikely that Ali is a high major player that somehow is slipping through the cracks...at near 7 feet tall. If Coach Pitino is looking to bolster the frontcourt, my advice is too look for someone who rebounded at a great rate, but has been passed over by other high majors due to being undersized and/or under skilled. Look for a guy like J'son Stamper who was listed at 6'6, but gave the team some toughness and rebounding.

If I were Pitino, I'd bank the scholarship at this point, especially if I projected Buckles to be on the court in 2013. If you can find a guy like Stamper who could play a solid role for 2 years fine, but don't give a scholarship to a guy who is going to be taking up space for 2 (or more) years simply because he balances the roster for 2013-2014. Take your hit this year, and bring in a killer 2014 class. If he's the recruiter he's supposed to be, he can grab a much better player for 2014 than he can find at this date for 2013.

Agreed. This guy isn't a difference maker. Do not recruit him simply because he is a big guy. Spring recruiting is dangerous because of this very scenario.

Agreed. This guy isn't a difference maker. Do not recruit him simply because he is a big guy. Spring recruiting is dangerous because of this very scenario.

If the Gophers sign Buckles we'd have 4 scholarships in 2014 and 4 in 2015. I don't think there is any need to bank a scholarship.

If the Gophers sign Buckles we'd have 4 scholarships in 2014 and 4 in 2015. I don't think there is any need to bank a scholarship.

I agree. The time to win is right now. If Coach P. can find a kid to help us no doubt he'll sign him. This board has no idea if Oto and Huge Mo will complete their eligibility here or if their 2 scholarships will be freed up for next year. I would be very surprised if Coach P. doesn't have a pretty fair idea how that's going to play out.

Also, scher215, believe we have 5 for 2015 due to Mathieu.

I'm cool with Buckles. I was referring to the JUCO mentioned earlier.

BTW this was from May 1st on Ali

"@bballTrinity: 2013 Juco 7'0" PF/C Nkosi Ali picked up offers from USC, S. Carolina, Murray State, UTPA, FIU, Stephen F. Austin, and Pittsburgh per sources"

I wonder when that offer came...

Darren Wolfson‏@DarrenWolfson1m
In his words: at least one is coming. “@JasonBriggs83: @DarrenWolfson Can you remind Richard that we might need a forward or two to compete”

Yayz

According to rivals we have offered Nkosi, so it looks like Pitino carried over his offer from FIU. They have him listed as 6'11 205. That doesn't seem right to me. It also looks like Minnesota wants him to visit memorial weekend.

Huge hs jr. year!

Nkosi Asantewa Ali (Atlanta, Ga.) is a 6'10" center who was an instrumental part of Westlake High School teams that reached at least the state semifinals in the past two seasons. After averaging seven points, four rebounds, and one blocked shot per game as a junior for a squad that finished 28-5, he helped his team post a 30-3 record and reach the state title game in his senior year by averaging eight points, five rebounds, and over two blocks per game.

"Nkosi is a 6'10" athletic post who is developing before our eyes," Dollar said. "He is a good athlete that blocks shots, rebounds, and scores in a variety of ways."

watched a high school video

of Nkosi and he is athletic and good shot blocker, probably able to run the floor well even though you couldn't tell by the clips. Dieng from Louisville ran the floor well (for his size) got back and blocked a lot of shots, this is a requirement for Pitino style of play, this is the only reason I see Walker struggling here, Pitino's style requires the C to run from end to end on each possession and essentially beat the other teams players back to the free throw line. The C in this style must be in very good shape.

@gopherhole: #Gophers have expressed interest in Rutgers transfer Derrick Randall. The 6-8, 240lb sophomore PF asked out of scholarship last week.

Go Gophers!!

"There is a late addition to the 2013 best-available recruits list.

ESPN 100 center Dominic Woodson is back on the open market after being granted a release from his Letter of Intent by Baylor. After signing with Scott Drew’s Bears in the fall, Marshall and Memphis are expected to play a big role in his next move."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=3584

Considering we are in need of bigs, I hope the gophers contact this kid, I know it would mean 1 less scholarship for next year, but this is a top100 kid, well worth it in my opinion.

Huge hs jr. year!

Nkosi Asantewa Ali (Atlanta, Ga.) is a 6'10" center who was an instrumental part of Westlake High School teams that reached at least the state semifinals in the past two seasons. After averaging seven points, four rebounds, and one blocked shot per game as a junior for a squad that finished 28-5, he helped his team post a 30-3 record and reach the state title game in his senior year by averaging eight points, five rebounds, and over two blocks per game.

"Nkosi is a 6'10" athletic post who is developing before our eyes," Dollar said. "He is a good athlete that blocks shots, rebounds, and scores in a variety of ways."

His Sr year was slightly more huge.

I am very skeptical that a player who averaged 8 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in his best year in high school could play in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom