All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

So which is it? 315 or 240? That's an incredible huge difference between the two sites.

Plus, he doesn't exactly seem like he'd fit in Pitino's run n' gun style.

There was also a site that listed him at 290.

His Sr year was slightly more huge.

I am very skeptical that a player who averaged 8 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in his best year in high school could play in the Big Ten.

According to his youtube highlights. . . he averaged 10 points, 6 rebs and 4 blocks. It's still not an eyepopping stat line.
His highlights are a little strange because he looks pretty impressive, so it's surprising that he didn't have a glitzier stat line. He is unquestionably athletic, he seems to have a decent tough and he doesn't play passive. I mean, Ralph Sampson's highlights in HS showed a guy who was skilled and tall, but he looked passive in HS (which carried over to college). This kid's highlights are impressive, but they're strange in light of his stat line. I expected to see a rawer athlete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leWnzrhvyT

Not sure if anyone else has posted this but...
Nkosi Ali, a 6-11 forward out of NE Oklahoma A & M, will take an official visit to Minnesota on Memorial Day weekend. Ali’s visit will begin on May 26th, which is the first day after the current dead period.

Ali is an agile forward who can run the floor and finish in transition. He is a good shot blocker when rotating from the weak side and rebounds the ball well. He averaged 10.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and nearly 2 blocks per game this season while shooting 55% from the field. Ali, who is originally from Atlanta, spent his freshman year of college at Highline CC in Washington. At Highline he averaged 16.5 points and 10.5 rebounds while shooting 55% from the field.

Along with the interest from Minnesota, Ali has interest from Pitt and Kansas State.
http://www.jucorecruiting.com/nkosi-ali-to-visit-minnesota/

@darrenwolfson: It might be too late, but told the #Gophers are doing their due-diligence on 2013 top-100 big Dominic Woodson. Just decommitted from Baylor.

Go Gophers!!

@darrenwolfson: It might be too late, but told the #Gophers are doing their due-diligence on 2013 top-100 big Dominic Woodson. Just decommitted from Baylor.

Go Gophers!!

Is it true that Woodson averaged 5.8 PPG his senior year in high school? Does anyone know the story with this guy?

Is it true that Woodson averaged 5.8 PPG his senior year in high school? Does anyone know the story with this guy?

Pretty sure they were talking about Ali when they posted that, but I'm not 100% sure either.

Go Gophers!!

The update from Doogie is that we did our homework on Woodson and aren't interested.

• Plans are still on for Nkosi Ali, a 6-foot-11 forward from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M Junior College, to visit the Gophers on Sunday. He also has interest from Kansas State, Pittsburgh and Murray State.

• Plans seem to be off for forward Derrick Randall, a 6-foot-8 Rutgers transfer, to visit the Gophers this weekend. According to his high school coach, Randall's mom passed away earlier in the week.

• Rutgers transfer Vincent Garrett was hoping to be, but isn't in the Gophers' mix. The 6-foot-5 Garrett recently visited Wisconsin-Green Bay.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...ossible_trade_to_move_up_from_No_9_pick052313

He Weighs How Much?

per Shooter:

New Gophers men's basketball coach Richard Pitino was to receive recruiting visits this weekend from 6-11, 205-pound Nkosi Ali of Northeastern Oklahoma A&M junior college and 6-9, 240-pound Rutgers transfer Derrick Randall.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ers-expect-leaner-meaner-minnesota-twins-2015

I looked all over and can't understand why we are recruiting this kid. At PF possibilities are Buckles, Joey King and Ali. Coach P. knows Buckles so I assume he's fine, in a pinch I would take King. The 2 minutes of current team film I saw of Ali, I could barely tell which one he was. There were all of 150-200 at the game. If I were a Mav or Oto basher, I would tone it down a bit.

per Shooter:

New Gophers men's basketball coach Richard Pitino was to receive recruiting visits this weekend from 6-11, 205-pound Nkosi Ali of Northeastern Oklahoma A&M junior college and 6-9, 240-pound Rutgers transfer Derrick Randall.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ers-expect-leaner-meaner-minnesota-twins-2015

I looked all over and can't understand why we are recruiting this kid. At PF possibilities are Buckles, Joey King and Ali. Coach P. knows Buckles so I assume he's fine, in a pinch I would take King. The 2 minutes of current team film I saw of Ali, I could barely tell which one he was. There were all of 150-200 at the game. If I were a Mav or Oto basher, I would tone it down a bit.

he at least had a Pitt offer FWIW

Amelia Rayno -

Joey King's former HS coach, Mark Gerber tells me he's been in contact w/ #Gophers' staff, but that MN wants to wait on other recruits first

Bruce Weber at Kansas State offered, so there must be something there. I just looked quickly, but I think Pitt might be down to taking warm bodies as long as they're tall.

Bruce Weber is a lousy recruiter. Him offering a player is meaningless to me. K-State is going to regret hiring him five years from now.

Amelia Rayno -

Joey King's former HS coach, Mark Gerber tells me he's been in contact w/ #Gophers' staff, but that MN wants to wait on other recruits first

I like what that means. Joey King is a nice basketball player. So to tell him to wait means to me: A) Buggs is looking good and B) We have a real good shot at other recruits. I doubt Buckles plays into it too much since he is one and done so we could have Buckles and King.

per Sid:

Pitino likes recruits

New Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino describing the three recruits he recently signed: “The thing I love about [Florida International transfer] Malik [Smith] is he’s as fearless a shooter as there is in the country. He had games where he hit eight threes one time in the conference tournament. He believes every shot is going in, that’s what I love about him.

“Daquein McNeil is a kid that we signed who has great potential. He had a very good high school career and prep career at Vermont Academy. A great kid, and his best basketball is ahead of him. He’s the type of guy who can play multiple positions.

“The last guy is Dre Mathieu, we really don’t have a guy like him on our team. He’s fast, he can get up the court as quick as anyone in the country, very good passer, rocket athlete. I think he brings a different dimension as well.”

Asked if these players will be able to step in right away, Pitino said: “It’s hard to say right now just because when you watch a kid in high school and junior college it’s a different environment. Malik is the one guy where I know what I’m getting with him and I anticipate he’d play right away.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/209811831.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Joey King to the U is official. Also this from Darren Wolfson:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know a lot of people think it's Rakeem Buckles or bust and that they'd rather bank a scholarship than take Derrick Randall, but Rutgers fans seem to really like Randall. Almost all of them want him back. http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=641&tid=164478420&mid=164478420&sid=988&style=2

The fact that Randall is still at RU may be an encouraging sign for us. Lets hope it stays that way.

Would love it if he stays.

I really like Randall. I realize he's probably gone, but it would be great if he stays.

Agreed... Randall was really developing. I hope he stays. Anyone know if there is still a dialogue between him an Eddie?

Randall was becoming the player I had hoped he would be at the end of the year. I think his request bothered me the most because I really believed we had an inside game developing. I hope he does decide to stay. We would have the balance on the court that we need to get to the post season. EJ could make a nice run if he returns. This year's schedule will be far better for that run than last years.

Big men don't grow on trees, not to mention he was probably the best offensive rebounder on the team.

"Not sure what you all saw in him, but he is very easily replaceable."
Not that easy. If it were, we would have replaced him already. Still keeping my fingers crossed that this kid sees the light and returns to the banks next season.

"Not sure what you all saw in him, but he is very easily replaceable."
respectfully disagree
he had a knack for getting tough rebounds. if he develops into a guy who converts those rebounds into points on the offensive end, he could be a solid 10+ pts and 6+ rebounds a game guy. not all conference good, but hardly a guy we couldnt use here at RU

I like his game, too. Hope he stays.

He's probably the strongest player on the team. Good offensive rebounder. Doesn't take bad shots. His footwork showed improvement this year which should help keep him out of foul trouble. He'd be getting a fresh start without having to leave the program, without having to sit out a year. I think he has good potential and this is the year he would hopefully show it on the court.

I know a lot of people think it's Rakeem Buckles or bust and that they'd rather bank a scholarship than take Derrick Randall, but Rutgers fans seem to really like Randall. Almost all of them want him back. http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=641&tid=164478420&mid=164478420&sid=988&style=2

Interesting. Just goes to show that you can't always judge a guy on his stat line. Pitino must like Randall enough for him to be his fall back option if Buckles isn't able to transfer.

If Tubby recruited like this for 2013, he'd ripped mercilessly and for good reason. This 3 man class of McNeil, Mathieu, and King reminds me so much of the 2010 group of Maverick, Oto, Mo, and Chip. Their was one guy in each group (McNeil for Pitino, Walker for Tubby) that you could make a strong case for as a future B1G player and a bunch of question marks that were lightly recruited and off the radar. That 2010 class was the beginning of the end for Tubby as you just can't end up with 3-4 guys who can't have an impact in conference play on your roster. I don't really count Malik Smith because his scholarship is essentially a free one in that it will be open for 2014 anyways.

I just don't understand the need to settle for King and that's certainly what Pitino did. They first wanted him to walk on, then they told him he was behind other prospects on their list, and then they decided to take him when other options fell through. If Richard Pitino can't land someone who is more highly regarded than Joey King with that scholarship in the 2014 class, then we hired the wrong guy. The only way this makes even a little bit of sense is if Oto is getting "Kevin Patyon'd" at the end of the season. If Pitino only has 3 scholarships to play with for 2014, it makes it really tough to take JP Macura. Can you have Joey, Oto, and JP on a press and run "athletic roster" ? That's really tough, especially if Mo and Elliott are still around.

This team needs impact guys, not guys who project as role players and I am not sure some on the board understand how far behind we are falling in regards to the level of recruits we are bringing in compared to our conference peers. This team needs to land at least 2 impact guys (ex Rashad and Reid in an ideal scenario) in 2014 just to hold serve and have a realistic chance at 5-6th place in the conference. If Pitino is the recruiter we hope he is, then he should have at least 4 scholarships open for 2014 and shouldn't be settling for filling out a roster in June.

If Tubby recruited like this for 2013, he'd ripped mercilessly and for good reason. This 3 man class of McNeil, Mathieu, and King reminds me so much of the 2010 group of Maverick, Oto, Mo, and Chip. Their was one guy in each group (McNeil for Pitino, Walker for Tubby) that you could make a strong case for as a future B1G player and a bunch of question marks that were lightly recruited and off the radar. That 2010 class was the beginning of the end for Tubby as you just can't end up with 3-4 guys who can't have an impact in conference play on your roster. I don't really count Malik Smith because his scholarship is essentially a free one in that it will be open for 2014 anyways.

I just don't understand the need to settle for King and that's certainly what Pitino did. They first wanted him to walk on, then they told him he was behind other prospects on their list, and then they decided to take him when other options fell through. If Richard Pitino can't land someone who is more highly regarded than Joey King with that scholarship in the 2014 class, then we hired the wrong guy. The only way this makes even a little bit of sense is if Oto is getting "Kevin Patyon'd" at the end of the season. If Pitino only has 3 scholarships to play with for 2014, it makes it really tough to take JP Macura. Can you have Joey, Oto, and JP on a press and run "athletic roster" ? That's really tough, especially if Mo and Elliott are still around.

This team needs impact guys, not guys who project as role players and I am not sure some on the board understand how far behind we are falling in regards to the level of recruits we are bringing in compared to our conference peers. This team needs to land at least 2 impact guys (ex Rashad and Reid in an ideal scenario) in 2014 just to hold serve and have a realistic chance at 5-6th place in the conference. If Pitino is the recruiter we hope he is, then he should have at least 4 scholarships open for 2014 and shouldn't be settling for filling out a roster in June.

Tubby had a fall 2009 where Pitino did not have a fall 2012....

Not even worth the time reading this drivel....

Tubby had a fall 2009 where Pitino did not....

Not even worth the time reading this drivel....

Tubby did not have fall 2009 to find replacements for Justin Cobbs and Paul Carter, who were still on the team at the time and probably expected to be back the next season. They were scholarships that opened up in the spring, and they were filled with spring recruits. I think the two situations are comparable.

Tubby did not have fall 2009 to find replacements for Justin Cobbs and Paul Carter, who were still on the team at the time and probably expected to be back the next season. They were scholarships that opened up in the spring, and they were filled with spring recruits. I think the two situations are comparable.
..... No. You are crazy

..... No. You are crazy

Pitino is filling needs in the spring that he did not have in the fall, because he was at Florida International.

Tubby was filling needs in the spring that he did not have in the fall because players he probably expected to return transferred.

Pitino is filling needs in the spring that he did not have in the fall, because he was at Florida International.

Tubby was filling needs in the spring that he did not have in the fall because players he probably expected to return transferred.

Still not remotely the same.

This 3 man class of McNeil, Mathieu, and King reminds me so much of the 2010 group of Maverick, Oto, Mo, and Chip.

How so? McNeil, as you mentioned, should make an impact in the future. Dre Mathieu should also play a role right away - he had offers from Memphis, UCLA, Ole Miss, and other high-majors. Why you are frustrated that Pitino brought in a highly-regarded JUCO? As for King...Joey's a guy that fills a need (PF). Yes, he's not your ideal recruit, but it's June.

Can you have Joey, Oto, and JP on a press and run "athletic roster" ? That's really tough, especially if Mo and Elliott are still around.

That's two years from now; you're thinking way too far ahead.

This team needs impact guys
Every team wants impact guys.

This team needs impact guys, not guys who project as role players and I am not sure some on the board understand how far behind we are falling in regards to the level of recruits we are bringing in compared to our conference peers.

Let's compare our 2013 recruiting class to our rivals' classes. Pitino really hasn't done that bad considering when he arrived and how much time he's had.

Wisconsin
Vitto Brown - good, but his offer list isn't any better than Mathieu or McNeil's.
Riley Dearring - Tubby didn't even look at Dearring hard. Meh.
Nigel Hayes - only high-major offers were Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Minnesota - not any better than Mathieu or Mcneil's offer list.
Jordan Hill - second and third best offers were Lehigh and Florida Gulf Coast. Yikes.
Bronson Koenig - very talented and the gem of Wisconsin's class

All in all, I'd say McNeil, Mathieu, King, and Smith make up a class about equal to Wisconsin's.

Iowa
Peter Jok - Iowa and Drake were Jok's only offers. However, Jok is pretty talented; he certainly lit up Roseville at the T-Wolves Shootout.

Top Bottom