All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

Thanks for the answer, that's great. The HP facilities are nice, but kind of a hike. Hopefully Dre gets into town for at least some of these games.

Gopher Hole: When are you planning on coming up here?

Dre Mathieu: Sometime in June. Whenever summer school starts.

Gopher Hole: When are you graduating?

Dre Mathieu: I’ll graduate in the summer.

Gopher Hole: Before June?

Dre Mathieu: It will probably be in the middle of June, so I’ll probably go the second summer session.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/253904?referrer_id=388419

Go Gophers!!

If Mathieu needs the first summer session to at Central Arizona to graduate, that's not good news for (1) summer access or (2) the Pulley league.

A former MN high school PF may have just hit the market. Not sure what Minnesota's interest will be, but definitely a position of need. I'd say they should at least take a good look.

A former MN high school PF may have just hit the market. Not sure what Minnesota's interest will be, but definitely a position of need. I'd say they should at least take a good look.

Who is that?

Who is that?

Joey King was granted his release from Drake last night. Was projected to be their starting 4 and one of , if not the, best players on the team. Could get a waiver to play at MN immediately due to a situation similar to Paul Carter. Adding him and Buckles (assuming no Black) could be a nice end of the spring class.

I've always liked him as a player. A big who you have to guard outside. Goths have need for this. Hope all is well with his mom.

I've always liked him as a player. A big who you have to guard outside. Goths have need for this. Hope all is well with his mom.

Mom is fine. No worries there lol Trent Lockett had his mom with cancer. Paul carter was his younger sister. Rather not say exactly what/who the issue is, but his mom is in good health I can at least say!

Agree with your assessment of him as a player though. Almost your typical Wisconsin big, but with a better motor and more athletic. I think he'd be a very good addition to the class. Have to see where he ends up though!

I only looked very quickly, but liked what I saw. Looked to me like he would fit Coach P.'s system. Shoots the 3 also.

I only looked very quickly, but liked what I saw. Looked to me like he would fit Coach P.'s system. Shoots the 3 also.

Yeah. Definitely a hard working kid. Just hustles constantly, good defender. I know he defended McDermott a lot when they played Creighton this year.

Doesn't have the star ranking a lot of folks look for, but did commit fairly early in the process to Drake.

Yeah. Definitely a hard working kid. Just hustles constantly, good defender. I know he defended McDermott a lot when they played Creighton this year.

Doesn't have the star ranking a lot of folks look for, but did commit fairly early in the process to Drake.

Had a very solid senior year leading Eastview to a #1 ranking for much of the year

I like Joey - has some size in addition to the height. Very good shooter that can be a headache to defend outside.

Question I have when projecting him is rebounding. Drake had a few guys in the ballpark of his size (6'8 to 6'11") that brought in a lot of the defensive rebounds and Clarke is an excellent rebounder on both ends. King didn't impress on the boards, but I believe some of that is due to the roster and style of play. Still, Gophers need a forward that can rebound well this year... King probably isn't that guy.

But, I do like his game.

It would be fun watching a stretch 4 with his proven range. I can't say I have watched a single minute of his game though.

His rebounding numbers weren't real impressive for a 6'9" PF in HS either. For those who have seen him play, does he hang out on the perimeter for the most part? Over half of his attempts were from beyond the arc last year.

If we have an open scholarship and he only has one year of eligibility left, might as well bring him on. Could motivate Oto to get his *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# together. I still think we end up with Buckles though. Dre, McNeil, Buckles, and this kid would be a pretty decent spring class.

If we have an open scholarship and he only has one year of eligibility left, might as well bring him on. Could motivate Oto to get his *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# together. I still think we end up with Buckles though. Dre, McNeil, Buckles, and this kid would be a pretty decent spring class.

King was a Freshman last year. He will be a sophomore next season.

MarkEmmert @MarkEmmert
Wow. Now Joey King announces plans to transfer from #Drake.

Brian Emanuel @beman74
@MarkEmmert Any word on where he will go? I would think very few schools have open scholarships to give for next year at this point.

MarkEmmert @MarkEmmert
@beman74 Not sure. But I too am surprised by the lateness of this decision

King didn't impress on the boards, but I believe some of that is due to the roster and style of play. Still, Gophers need a forward that can rebound well this year...

Paul Carter- 6.3ppg, 3.7rbg in 15.2mpj as a junior.

Joey King- 6.9ppg, 2.9rpg in 19mpg as a freshman.

It would be fun watching a stretch 4 with his proven range. I can't say I have watched a single minute of his game though.

His rebounding numbers weren't real impressive for a 6'9" PF in HS either. For those who have seen him play, does he hang out on the perimeter for the most part? Over half of his attempts were from beyond the arc last year.

It's hard to assess whether this would be a fit or not. You can't have enough guys who can shoot, and he presents those types of match-up problems for opposing defenses, BUT, what the roster is really lacking is an active, athletic forward who can get you rebounds and tip-ins. And we don't know if Buggs is or can become that.

It's hard to assess whether this would be a fit or not. You can't have enough guys who can shoot, and he presents those types of match-up problems for opposing defenses, BUT, what the roster is really lacking is an active, athletic forward who can get you rebounds and tip-ins. And we don't know if Buggs is or can become that.

Pitino has said the Gophers run a similar offense to Florida. Three point shooters are a must and typically one "big".

If I recall correctly, Young was the only "big" on the floor. While Murphy is certainly big, he was more of a stretch 4.

I honestly think the Gophers will always have Mo/Elliot on the floor and the PF will be a Damien Johnson type. More of a 3 playing the 4. I think Buggs is more a DJ/Rodney type than a Trevor type.

The one thing I am confident about from reading about Pitino and McHale is that they will spend a lot of time on player development and fixing areas of weakness.

OK then it's time for Joey....(this will date me I know) Joey Bishop?

Pitino has said the Gophers run a similar offense to Florida. Three point shooters are a must and typically one "big".

If I recall correctly, Young was the only "big" on the floor. While Murphy is certainly big, he was more of a stretch 4.

I honestly think the Gophers will always have Mo/Elliot on the floor and the PF will be a Damien Johnson type. More of a 3 playing the 4. I think Buggs is more a DJ/Rodney type than a Trevor type.

He is definitely a match up problem with his face up game. He is not afraid to go inside and will compete at the highest level.

Extrapolating a bit....maybe Ben Johnson recruited him at Northern and knows he can play at the Big Ten level. I think he would fit the new coaching staff style, because he is versatile and can shoot.

I don't think he can afford to walk on, but I think he is worth the scholarship, especially if he can transfer without sitting out a year.

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN
My source tells me that Joey King is in fact looking to transfer to Minnesota. He will be in the Twin Cities this weekend.

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 19s
One of Joey's family members is unfortunately ill so he's looking to transfer home to be closer to family.

Ryan James Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 2m
Joey King does want to be a Gopher. Not sure at this time what the Gophers think of him but they do need depth at PF.

The Gopher Report ‏@TheGopherReport 8 May

Malik Smith listed the #Gophers as one of his five favorites. Still haven't heard if Pitino's offered him a spot, though.

@BlueDevilLair: Tarik Black graduated from Memphis yesterday and got to Durham last night. He'll be on campus until tomorrow:

Go Gophers!!

Doogie- FIU transfer Malik Smith is telling people that the #Gophers have offered. He's seeking a waiver to be eligible right away wherever he goes

Doogie- FIU transfer Malik Smith is telling people that the #Gophers have offered. He's seeking a waiver to be eligible right away wherever he goes

Good. I like this guy... A class of McNeil, Mathieu, King (walkon), and Smith I would be very happy with.

Good. I like this guy... A class of McNeil, Mathieu, King (walkon), and Smith I would be very happy with.

-Joe Coleman is going to have a lot of competition for the starting job and minutes next year.

-Mav's senior year might be the only year he doesn't average over 10mpg.

Buckles will likely be coming too. We'd be ridiculously deep in the backcourt:

Dre
Dre
Austin
Coleman
McNeil
Smith
Mav

Competition for playing time will be very very interesting.

Top Bottom