All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

Follow up tweets from Ellis

When the HC recruits like an asst good things happen. “@george_shirley: @MikeVCU I Like the way they go about the recruiting process.

So much @AndreHollins in Kevin Durant right now. Love seeing Durant in front of the offense. #Gophers

@bbaptisthoops: Tarik Black update: Confirmed that #Buckeyes had an in-home with 6-9 Memphis transfer. No campus visit scheduled yet. #buckbk

Go Gophers!!

Alex Kline
@TheRecruitScoop
St. John's, Minnesota, Providence, Penn St, Rutgers, George Mason, Seton Hall, West Virginia, Pitt & Maryland recently offered Terry Larrier1:54pm*&^!#- 29 Apr 13

Larrier is a SF from the Bronx. Class of 2014.

@gopherhole: #Gophers are interested in former UCLA signee, Allerik Freeman, who was granted a scholarship release. Freeman is 6-4, 210lb SG. Ranked #81

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

@mattsteinbrink: Joseph Uchebo will visit Minnesota this weekend

Go Gophers!!

Seems like we may have some North Carolina connections? Uchebo and Freeman are both originally from NC. I guess it could be a coincidence since Uchebo is now playing in Florida (obvious recruiting connections to Pitino) and Freeman in Nevada at Findlay Prep.

GopherHole tweets:

"#Gophers interested in Oregon St transfer Ahmad Starks who is transferring to be closer to home (Illinois). He's visiting U of Ill Thursday"

"Starks is expected to be eligible right away as he wants to be closer to his paternal grandmother who suffers from Alzheimer's disease."

"Starks is a 5-9 guard and averaged 10.4 points, 2.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.0 assists as a junior. He started 73 games in 3 seasons"

Go Gophers!!

Allerik Freeman visited campus this week, I have heard it went well. He is the recruit that got out of his letter of commit from UCLA a few weeks ago.

Freeman is a top 100 kid who had offers from Duke, Kansas, Ohio State, among others. Getting him might make people forget about Ellis pretty quickly.

Freeman is a top 100 kid who had offers from Duke, Kansas, Ohio State, among others. Getting him might make people forget about Ellis pretty quickly.

I'm one of those guys who thinks if one is good, two is better.

I'm one of those guys who thinks if one is good, two is better.

With the amount of recruiting updates and offers recently, it's very apparent that Richard and his staff are far more active than the previous regime and that is exciting. I'm very curious to see who they bring in for 2013 that are 4-year players versus 1-year "rentals". Freeman seems like the real deal if he had those types of offers before committing to UCLA.

Agree Slim, Freeman definitely sounds like he'd be a nice get. What a bonus if Lil' Ricky could get a sure-fire freshman contributor to replace Ellis this late in the spring. That would show some recruiting chops. Hard to argue with UCLA and the other offers he had.

Freeman is quick, athletic, nice shot, get this kid and add Vaughn the next year and you have two players you can mix and match, press on defense.

The one year with Dre, wow, get them to play together it would be a team that is a scoring machine.

Do we know who else is after Freeman? Sorry if it has been posted already.

Freeman could set a nice precedent?

Not big into the recruiting scene, but Freeman is the first guy I'm really, really excited about if we can get him. The Gophers need some new (or vastly improved) guys capable of contributing significantly if we want the NCAA tourney to be a realistic goal. Plus, maybe it sets a precedent that Pitino can get top-100 type studs from outside the state? Perhaps our Class of 2014 Minnesota kids (and beyond) would take notice?

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI 3h
2013 JUCO PG Dre Mathieu RT @DRIIIIIZZZZZYYY: Minnesota tomorrow for an official

We need improved talent for sure. That being said is anyone else scratching their head about all the guards we are bringing in? This team needs help up front IMO. A PF or two would be nice. Maybe they will only sign one more guard but it would be nice to see another big man because it woud seem to me a guy like Black might be a long shot at this point. Freeman would be great but he wont be filling our biggest need. I would rather keep an extra scholarship or two for next season.

Allerik Freeman visited campus this week, I have heard it went well. He is the recruit that got out of his letter of commit from UCLA a few weeks ago.

He must have left before yesterday haha

We need improved talent for sure. That being said is anyone else scratching their head about all the guards we are bringing in? This team needs help up front IMO. A PF or two would be nice. Maybe they will only sign one more guard but it would be nice to see another big man because it woud seem to me a guy like Black might be a long shot at this point. Freeman would be great but he wont be filling our biggest need. I would rather keep an extra scholarship or two for next season.

Uchebo is in the mix, and I think Buckles is still an option if he can play right away. I think he'll sign one more guard this class and a big man, and bank one for next year.

It doesn't surprise me one bit he's concentrating on guards. When you have a team with no ball handlers and only a couple three point shooters it's what you do. Also we have been too slow on defense to keep opposing guards out of the lane. We need another rebounder but you can play with four guards at times in today's game but four bigs together and you can't function. I think Pitino is looking for guys who can play three or four different spots. The days of having three guys on the floor at the same time who can't shoot or dribble are over

I'm guessing he feels to run his style we need better guards. I think Freeman would be a solid get and I would like it if Pitino thinks McNeil will see more time at PG. I think the perfect situation for adding a big man is to pick up someone like Black or Buckles that would have 1 year of eligibility left and also open up the scholarship for next year. I think Pitino has a lot of offers out to these guys but also has an order of importance of who he wants the most and some of these players might be more of fallback options if he misses on a guy that was higher on his list.

Freeman would be a great addition with McNeil already in the fold. Its great to hear all the talk about Pitino's system and all but you need to have guy who rebound because lets face it in the Big Ten you are still going to have to win games ugly. Teams like OSU, Wiscy, MSU, and the other better programs will have the guards that will hold up pretty well most games to pressure. Its not like we play against terrible guards who cant handle pressure. I like the idea of going quicker and pushing tempo but that starts with rebounding. We have guards with experience so it has just suprised me to see all the talk about guards coming in. Freeman is a no brainer dont get me wrong. The only transfer I think we could get to help his Buckles because Black I see as a long shot at this point. I hope I am wrong. The big guy we are looking at would be interesting.

I'm guessing he feels to run his style we need better guards. I think Freeman would be a solid get and I would like it if Pitino thinks McNeil will see more time at PG. I think the perfect situation for adding a big man is to pick up someone like Black or Buckles that would have 1 year of eligibility left and also open up the scholarship for next year. I think Pitino has a lot of offers out to these guys but also has an order of importance of who he wants the most and some of these players might be more of fallback options if he misses on a guy that was higher on his list.

Rick always said when he's out recruiting that he tells the kids they will play because pressing all game requires a deep bench, specifically a deep guard rotation. We have some guards and wings that will be able to work in Pitino's system, but we need more. If we bring in one more post player we'll be fine with him, Buggs, Oto, and EE. If Mo gets in shape then he could even help out. I see lots of instances where we have 4 guards/wings with just one big (Buggs/EE or even Oto).

I believe this is what our scholarship situation is at the current time so if we were to add more than 1 more graduate transfer I would have to think there would be some transfers before the 2014-2015 class because I have to think Pitino would want more than just 2 scholarships to work with for that loaded class.
Scholarships 2013-14
1.Austin(SR)
2.Mav(SR)
3.Dre(JR)
4.Coleman(JR)
5.EE(JR)
6.Mo(JR)
7.Oto(JR)
8.Ellenson(SO)
9.Buggs(R FR)
10.McNeil(FR)

2014-2015
1.Dre(SR)
2.Coleman(SR)
3.EE(SR)
4.Mo(SR)
5.Oto(SR)
6.Ellenson(JR)
7.Buggs(R SO)
8.McNeil(SO)

I believe this is what our scholarship situation is at the current time so if we were to add more than 1 more graduate transfer I would have to think there would be some transfers before the 2014-2015 class because I have to think Pitino would want more than just 2 scholarships to work with for that loaded class.
Scholarships 2013-14
1.Austin(SR)
2.Mav(SR)
3.Dre(JR)
4.Coleman(JR)
5.EE(JR)
6.Mo(JR)
7.Oto(JR)
8.Ellenson(SO)
9.Buggs(R FR)
10.McNeil(FR)

2014-2015
1.Dre(SR)
2.Coleman(SR)
3.EE(SR)
4.Mo(SR)
5.Oto(SR)
6.Ellenson(JR)
7.Buggs(R SO)
8.McNeil(SO)

You get 13 schollys not 12, so we can definently add a player or two still. That being said I think if we're adding JUCOS I could see MO and Oto being asked to leave, to make room to bring more guys in 2014 and to not have to turnover half the roster in 2015. Mo and Oto would've been in the program for four years, they'll have their degrees, they could transfer anywhere they want.

Top Bottom