All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Guess we are seeing Pitano realizes we need ball handlers and quickness. Everyone who thought he would sign just one guard and were thinking power forwards underestimate how important guards are in the college game.You have been around Tubby too long. One position fives are a thing of the past.

GopherHole tweets:

Looks like Memphis also recruiting Dre. #Gophers RT @DRIIIIIZZZZZYYY: Memphis and Minnesota head coaches be here tomorrow #blessed

Dre Mathieu reportedly has offers from #Gophers, Memphis, UCLA, Mississippi, Washington State

Go Gophers!!

DeAndre Mathieu
5'9
160 lbs

Last year's stats at Central Arizona College
17.1 points // 6.1 rebounds // 6.5 assists // 2.0 steals // 2.9 turnovers // 52% FG // 29% 3pt // 72% FT

FGs: 213-410
3FGs: 12-42
FTs: 142-196

More of a "get to the rim" type of player, but looks to be more of a truer PG when compared to McNeil (obviously he must be at 5'9)...and this kid looks like he's got some hops.

DeAndre Mathieu
5'9
160 lbs

Last year's stats at Central Arizona College
17.1 points // 6.1 rebounds // 6.5 assists // 2.0 steals // 2.9 turnovers // 52% FG // 29% 3pt // 72% FT

FGs: 213-410
3FGs: 12-42
FTs: 142-196

More of a "get to the rim" type of player, but looks to be more of a truer PG when compared to McNeil (obviously he must be at 5'9)...and this kid looks like he's got some hops.

Strong rebounder for a 5-9 guy. Is he really 5-9?

Guess we are seeing Pitano realizes we need ball handlers and quickness. Everyone who thought he would sign just one guard and were thinking power forwards underestimate how important guards are in the college game.You have been around Tubby too long. One position fives are a thing of the past.

Thank God you're here.

Strong rebounder for a 5-9 guy. Is he really 5-9?

On the Tennessee board someone lists him as 5-11, but Central AZ College lists him at 5-9. Maybe he was slouching when getting measured at CAC.

Still think we'll be hearing about a power forward in the near future. We need a big. If not one that can score, at least one that can serve as a windex man. Can't get out and run if you can't control the boards.

Still think we'll be hearing about a power forward in the near future. We need a big. If not one that can score, at least one that can serve as a windex man.

I agree. Though if we sign this JUCO and McNeil I think it means we'll lose a guy like Joe Coleman. I know Pitino said he doesn't expect a transfer, but even if we get a one year PF, we'd only have two scholarships for next year, assuming we sign the two guys we've offered who aren't seniors.

I agree. Though if we sign this JUCO and McNeil I think it means we'll lose a guy like Joe Coleman. I know Pitino said he doesn't expect a transfer, but even if we get a one year PF, we'd only have two scholarships for next year, assuming we sign the two guys we've offered who aren't seniors.
No.

Joe Coleman isn't going any where. I'm sick of people speculating about kids transferring out despite multiple reports stating that it isn't going to happen.

We have 2 scholarships next year no matter what. Plus any banked / 1 year scholarships. Plus any potential transfers / NBA draft declares (save any comments - just listing ways we get scholarships lol) I think we will be okay for 2014.

We would have 4 schollies. 2 left over from this year and Mav and Austin's.

No we will have 6 scholarships in the next two classes (4 graduating seniors this past season, 2 next season in Hollins and Mav). McNeil, JUCO and a pf will leave 3 scholarships assuming they aren't seniors.

Also, McNeil and a 5-9 PG aren't going to drive a starter like Coleman out of the program. I don't think either one are a real threat to his minutes (presumably at the 3 again).

Though if we sign this JUCO and McNeil I think it means we'll lose a guy like Joe Coleman.

Coleman isn't going anywhere. I'm not sure why everyone's so desperate to get rid of a Gopher with dyed-in-the-wool bloodlines who's started a lot of games for us. Aside from him likely getting better due to age and experience anyway, he is a much better fit for an uptempo system than he was in Tubby's half-court-heavy offense.

I know Pitino said he doesn't expect a transfer, but even if we get a one year PF, we'd only have two scholarships for next year, assuming we sign the two guys we've offered who aren't seniors.

Your math is off. If we sign McNeil, and if we signed Mathieu, we'd be at 4 available scholarships for the 2014 signees. Signing one more multi-year player (presumably a frontcourt player) would bring us down to 3.

Coleman isn't going anywhere. I'm not sure why everyone's so desperate to get rid of a Gopher with dyed-in-the-wool bloodlines who's started a lot of games for us. Aside from him likely getting better due to age and experience anyway, he is a much better fit for an uptempo system than he was in Tubby's half-court-heavy offense.

Your math is off. If we sign McNeil, and if we signed Mathieu, we'd be at 4 available scholarships for the 2014 signees. Signing one more multi-year player (presumably a frontcourt player) would bring us down to 3.

You are correct, my math is wrong. My bad. I'm not dying to get rid of anyone. I like Coleman.

Thanks for piling on though. The first 3 posts in response to mine weren't enough.

You are correct, my math is wrong. My bad. I'm not dying to get rid of anyone. I like Coleman.

Thanks for piling on though. The first 3 posts in response to mine weren't enough.

I was typing while theirs were posted. Sorry, I don't have clairvoyant powers.

Don't take it too personally. You're no where near the only person they're addressing.

Dpo makes a great point, though, that Coleman should be more comfortable in the new offense. I'm excited to see how he does.

Don't take it too personally. You're no where near the only person they're addressing.

Dpo makes a great point, though, that Coleman should be more comfortable in the new offense. I'm excited to see how he does.

I think that the best thing for Coleman isn't necessarily going to be the scheme or the system but instead the emphasis on player development. In all honesty Joe has a lot to work on. If he can become a more well rounded player, look out.

I think that the best thing for Coleman isn't necessarily going to be the scheme or the system but instead the emphasis on player development. In all honesty Joe has a lot to work on. If he can become a more well rounded player, look out.

Amen to that. Individual player development is something I rarely heard discussed when it came to Tubby. I liked the dude, but that was severely lacking. If Pitino can come in and really put an emphasis on that and get these guys really grinding on their weaknesses, we could have something here.

I agree we will get a PF and I am hopefull that it ends up being Tarik Black, I disagree about Coleman and think he will fit with Pitino's style of play a lot better than he did Tubby's and I really think the up-tempo style gives him the best chance to be successful.

I agree we will get a PF and I am hopefull that it ends up being Tarik Black, I disagree about Coleman and think he will fit with Pitino's style of play a lot better than he did Tubby's and I really think the up-tempo style gives him the best chance to be successful.

I agree with this. I don't see why anyone would expect Coleman to do anything but flourish in this type of play. He's quick up the court and has good instincts getting to the rim in full-court situations. He also seems to be in excellent shape

If Doogie is accurate, this one makes me scratch my head a little, although I'll admit I know nothing about him other than looking at his stats. He barely played last year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61683/vincent-garrett

If Doogie is accurate, this one makes me scratch my head a little, although I'll admit I know nothing about him other than looking at his stats. He barely played last year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61683/vincent-garrett

Same here.

This would be a little odd. Personally felt our needs were PG and PF/C. Will trust Pitino here though.

Same here.

This would be a little odd. Personally felt our needs were PG and PF/C. Will trust Pitino here though.

Agreed. There is little risk in signing a one year player anyways. Even if it's for depth, the scholarship is back open for 2014.

ZagsBlog article on him:

Vincent Garrett, a 6-foot-6 wing from Lee College (TX), has committed to Rutgers.

The former Chicago Marshall star, who visited Rutgers two weeks ago, had offers from Oregon State, UNLV and Iowa and interest from UConn, according to Lee assistant Marcus King. He will have two years of eligibility remaining.

“Signing Vincent was a priority for us this recruiting period, and we are thrilled to welcome him into the program,” said head coach Mike Rice. “He is a very gifted athlete with the ability to score the ball at many levels. Vincent is also a mature young man who has developed and excelled due to a tremendous work ethic.”

“He’ll be an impact player for Rutgers,” King told SNY.tv, adding that Garrett had the potential to compare to Marquette’s Darius Johnson-Odom and Jae Crowder, both former junior college players.

“He has the opportunity to do something special, in the same lines as the Marquette junior college transfers have done. He will be learning and adapting [in the Big East], but if he makes that transition he can make an impact.”

King said Garrett possessed “freak athleticism” off the wing.

Garrett averaged 16.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists to earn All-Region XIV South Zone First Team honors in 2011-12 under head coach Roy Champagne.

“He was our leading scorer and rebounder and led the team in blocked shots for two years,” King said. “He has an opportunity to earn a starting job.

“Coach Rice gave him the opportunity and it will be up to him mentally to see what he wants to do with that.”

@memphisroar: Word is that Kansas will be in soon as well RT @TheDevilsDen: Duke visiting Tarik Black tonight for visit

Go Gophers!!

@prepxtra: DRE MATHIEU UPDATE: changed his visit to #Memphis from 4/27 to after his visit to #Gophers (5/3). Still visit Ole Miss (4/25).

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom