All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

You get 13 schollys not 12, so we can definently add a player or two still. That being said I think if we're adding JUCOS I could see MO and Oto being asked to leave, to make room to bring more guys in 2014 and to not have to turnover half the roster in 2015. Mo and Oto would've been in the program for four years, they'll have their degrees, they could transfer anywhere they want.

Idealy adding one more four year and a Buckles or Black would be the ideal, then you would fill a need but have scholerships available for next year.

Rick always said when he's out recruiting that he tells the kids they will play because pressing all game requires a deep bench, specifically a deep guard rotation. We have some guards and wings that will be able to work in Pitino's system, but we need more. If we bring in one more post player we'll be fine with him, Buggs, Oto, and EE. If Mo gets in shape then he could even help out. I see lots of instances where we have 4 guards/wings with just one big (Buggs/EE or even Oto).

Can you give me one?

You get 13 schollys not 12, so we can definently add a player or two still. That being said I think if we're adding JUCOS I could see MO and Oto being asked to leave, to make room to bring more guys in 2014 and to not have to turnover half the roster in 2015. Mo and Oto would've been in the program for four years, they'll have their degrees, they could transfer anywhere they want.
Thanks couldn't remember if it was 12 or 13. The best case scenario would then probably be adding Black or Buckles for 1 year and adding Freeman or a juco pg like Mathieu.

You couldn't see a lineup of Dre, Austin, Coleman and another guard like McNiel or Freeman (if we got him of course)?

Not in the B1G unless it was all over except for the crying. I wouldn't play Coleman and McNeil together unless someone had to make a beer run.

Can you give me one?

Make your own!

PG, wing, wing, wing or wing/post hybrid, post player

PGs
McNeil
Dre
Mav

Wings
Austin
Joe
Dre
Wally
Freeman (another '13 recruit)

Wing/Post Hybrid
Oto
Buggs

Buggs
Mo

Not in the B1G unless it was all over except for the crying. I wouldn't play Coleman and McNeil together unless someone had to make a beer run.

Interesting, considering you've never seen McNeil play. You are getting close to going on my ignore list.

I can't really speak to how well those player's chemistry would work on the court at the same time, especially since McNeil isn't even here yet, but Villanova showed years ago that 4-guard lineups can work at the major conference level.

All of this is aside from the fact that it isn't really a 4-guard lineup if Coleman is included. He might be listed as a guard, but he's really a 4 with a 2 build. I'd have no problem with PG X-Hollins-Hollins-Coleman-Eliason on the floor at times, especially in an uptempo offense.

All of this is aside from the fact that it isn't really a 4-guard lineup if Coleman is included. He might be listed as a guard, but he's really a 4 with a 2 build. I'd have no problem with PG X-Hollins-Hollins-Coleman-Eliason on the floor at times, especially in an uptempo offense.

Agreed. If Pitino utilized the pick and roll more (and teaches the kids to set actual screens) then I think Coleman could be one of the more improved Gophers in terms of offensive production.

Which is a big part of why I think it could work well. Regardless of Coleman's skill set, I would still consider that to be a 4-guard lineup.

Which is a big part of why I think it could work well. Regardless of Coleman's skill set, I would still consider that to be a 4-guard lineup.

+1

You are what you can guard, not what you do on offense. We are going to need a lot of fast, athletic, guards and wings to run Pitino's press.

To me, rule #1 in running is you have to control the boards. I don't believe that group can do it for any length of time in the B1G. Having McNeil at the point gives you a good rebounding guard, but even Bobby Knight would consider a very tight zone with McNeil and Coleman on the floor at the same time.

Coach P. is going to need time to get his type of players on campus. Freeman looks ideal, but to get this thing cranked up he needs 1 or 2 more like him. Control the boards, defense is your offense, and put up the 3. Several current players who run the floor well, I don't believe will excel at off ball defense. It's going to take some time and hopefully the neighborhood kid and Vaughn.

Top 2013 Targets

Dre Mathieu (Jr.)
Alerik Freeman (Fr.)
Tarik Black (Sr.)
Rakeem Buckles (Jr.)
Joseph Uchobo (Jr.)

Anyone else?

@DRIIIIIZZZZZYYY: Wheels up to Minnesota

Go Gophers!!

Top 2013 Targets

Dre Mathieu (Jr.)
Alerik Freeman (Fr.)
Tarik Black (Sr.)
Rakeem Buckles (Jr.)
Joseph Uchobo (Jr.)

Anyone else?

Ahmad Starks from Oregon State I believe we have offered, if not we have shown interest

Uchebo will be a Sophomore, not a Junior for eligibility purposes as he received a medical red shirt at his JUCO(per St Johns message board)

The other kid you are missing is Frazier, the JUCO guard from Florida.

It seems pretty clear to me that Pitino badly wants to move 'Dre off the ball for next season. It seems like adding a PG for 2013 has been more of a focus than adding a PF although that might just be due to more talent being available at the PG position.

per Shooter:

New Gophers men's basketball coach Richard Pitino has four recruiting prospects visiting this weekend, making it unlikely he'll be able to attend Saturday's Kentucky Derby, where his father, Rick, coach of NCAA basketball champion Louisville, owns 5 percent of Goldencents. The thoroughbred is a 5-to-1 choice to win from the No. 8 post at Churchill Downs.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23155274/shooter-now-minnesota-wilds-charlie-coyle-is-living

Go Gophers!!

Who all is visiting? I know Mathiew and Uchebo are, who are the others?

Who all is visiting? I know Mathiew and Uchebo are, who are the others?

He may have also been referencing Al Freeman who was in today, but is now on his way to Xavier.

Go Gophers!!

The idea of Coleman defending a 4 makes me cringe. Please no.

I would assume we would play zone on defense in this situation. Either a 2-3 or a 1-3-1 could work with a 4 guard line-up as long as everyone has active hands.

Also I think it is funny how everyone seams to know what we need that we don't have "for Pitino's system". While I know we can judge a little based on his 1 year at FIU I would say we need to wait and see what he does with the current team before making such assessments. I would also highly doubt we bring in someone, except maybe the PF spot, who will play right away. I think that Coleman showed good signs at times(seriously he was a better HS recruit than many we are talking about now), while needing to improve his shooting, and neither Hollins will be bumped by a spring recruit(Unless Andrew Wiggins shocks everyone, hahaha).

Next years line-up will probably look very familiar to us with all players we had last year except maybe PF but without Buckles or Black(we could still get them) it'd probably be oto or Buggs.

I look forward to these spring 2013 recruits for mostly what they can offer in terms of roll players around the loaded 2014 and 2015 classes.

@driiiiizzzzzyyy: Dre my host this is gone be a night of who you talking too? And which one? Haha

Go Gophers!!

Does Google translator work for quotes like this?

Essentially he said: "Dre's my host for my official visit. This is going to be a night of 'Who you talking too?' and 'Which one?' Haha"

Top Bottom