All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

Same here.

This would be a little odd. Personally felt our needs were PG and PF/C. Will trust Pitino here though.

I think Pitino is just looking to add bodies at this point. He is likely seeing that the roster is depleted of ball handlers and people that can run (obviously we have 4 guys that we KNOW fit the mold of being able to run) and this 1 year rental wouldn't hurt the program at all nor his ability to recruit a high number of "his players" in year 2.

How about Allerik Freeman who is backing out of his commitment to UCLA, he was recruited by the big boys but at this late date they may not have room for him, big athletic wing that can play multiple positions.

@RyanJamesMN: Isaiah Whitehead had Minnesota Coach Richard Pitino in to see him today a source just told me.

@RyanJamesMN: Isaiah Whitehead is a 2014 5 star shooting guard out of Brooklyn wanted by the majority of the schools in the nation.

You have got to love Richy's ambition as a recruiter! Keep going after the best coach!

@RyanJamesMN: Isaiah Whitehead had Minnesota Coach Richard Pitino in to see him today a source just told me.

@RyanJamesMN: Isaiah Whitehead is a 2014 5 star shooting guard out of Brooklyn wanted by the majority of the schools in the nation.

You have got to love Richy's ambition as a recruiter! Keep going after the best coach!

There's that NY/NJ connection we keep hearing about. Kimani Young was there as well, and he has developed relationships with the Juice All Stars (Whitehead's AAU team) while working in that area in the past.

There's that NY/NJ connection we keep hearing about. Kimani Young was there as well, and he has developed relationships with the Juice All Stars (Whitehead's AAU team) while working in that area in the past.
Gotta love that. Get as many connections as we can

Coach K and several assistants then met Tuesday in Memphis with Memphis transfer Tarik Black, sources confirmed to SNY.tv after Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com first reported it.

San Diego State also visited with him last week, sources told SNY.tv.

The 6-9 Black averaged 8.1 points and 4.8 rebounds last season for the Tigers.

“I will not be conducting any interviews during this process,” he said by text.

http://zagsblog.com/duke/grayson-allen-to-duke-coach-k-meets-with-tarik-black/

Go Gophers!!

@GaryParrishCBS: The latest to visit Tarik Black in Memphis? Kansas coach Bill Self. Last night, according to a source

Go Gophers!!

@GaryParrishCBS: The latest to visit Tarik Black in Memphis? Kansas coach Bill Self. Last night, according to a source

Go Gophers!!

This is starting to remind me of the line from Forrest Gump: "So I went to the White House AGAIN, and I met with the President AGAIN."

Lots of attention for Mr. Black.

GopherHole tweet: #Gophers going after 5-star SG from NYC => RT @AdamZagoria: Steve Lavin and Richard Pitino both saw Isaiah Whitehead today, he tweeted

Go Gophers!!

GopherHole tweet: #Gophers going after 5-star SG from NYC => RT @AdamZagoria: Steve Lavin and Richard Pitino both saw Isaiah Whitehead today, he tweeted

Go Gophers!!

Not a very jaw dropping highlight package for a 5-star kid. Seems like his best strength is passing which is interesting for a SG. Maybe he could transition to a PG, which would be interesting since he's 6'4. He also seems like a good shooter. Doesn't have the crazy athleticism based on that highlight, lots of layups.

Gary Parrish: How Tarik Black went from a reserve to the nation's most desirable big

Mike Krzyzewski and Bill Self are battling over Tarik Black.

The idea that that sentence could've ever been typed would've seemed laughable at pretty much any point during Black's high school career or first three seasons of college. But it's a factual sentence now because supply is low, demand is high and there are games that must be won in seven months.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-at-memphis-to-the-nations-most-desirable-big

Go Gophers!!

Not a very jaw dropping highlight package for a 5-star kid. Seems like his best strength is passing which is interesting for a SG. Maybe he could transition to a PG, which would be interesting since he's 6'4. He also seems like a good shooter. Doesn't have the crazy athleticism based on that highlight, lots of layups.

Good body control and balance. He looks strong. No left hand, though. I agree, not eye-popping like you'd expect a 5-star to look. To coin a phrase, he's no Seventh Woods.

The "what if's" of recruiting the next 3 years can leave you drooling:

2013-14
C Tarik Black
PF Rakeem Buckles
G Daquien McNeil
PG Dre Mathieu

2014-15
C Jalil Okafor
PF Reid Travis
W Rashad Vaughn
SG Isaiah Whitehead
PG Tyus Jones

2015-16
C/F Alex Illikainen
C/F Henry Ellenson
PG Jarvis Johnson

2013-14
C Tarik Black
PF Rakeem Buckles
G Daquien McNeil
PG Dre Mathieu

2014-15
C Jalil Okafor
PF Reid Travis
W Rashad Vaughn
SG Isaiah Whitehead
PG Tyus Jones

2015-16
C/F Alex Illikainen
C/F Henry Ellenson
PG Jarvis Johnson

I just wrote this lost out and tried figuring out depth charts for the next few years... Wow. That's the only word if we get all of those guys.

2013-14
C Tarik Black
PF Rakeem Buckles
G Daquien McNeil
PG Dre Mathieu

2014-15
C Jalil Okafor
PF Reid Travis
W Rashad Vaughn
SG Isaiah Whitehead
PG Tyus Jones

2015-16
C/F Alex Illikainen
C/F Henry Ellenson
PG Jarvis Johnson
McNeil isn't a "what if" he has actually signed his National letter of intent already.

If you go back and forth with him for several pages about that argument even though it really isn't that important, then you will be in full dpo mode.

I'm up for that. Sitting on a plane, waiting... but you're right, it's barely relevant if at all that McNeil couldn't sign an NLI with the Gophers. Wondering where Reusse is with his selective outrage on this.

Josh Perkins vs D1 Minnesota... coming up!

GW, my understanding is this...he can not sign a new letter of intent, but he can sign a "scholarship agreement". They are same to me, but is that how the terminology works?

Gophers senior associate AD Mike Ellis tweet:

@MikeVCU: Coach Pitino and staff are taking recruiting at UM to new levels. :) #greattimetobeagopher

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom