All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

@RyanJamesMN: Joseph Uchebo said he may decide between Minnesota and Pittsburgh this week. Could possibly take another visit (Ok St). He's not sure yet.
Uchebo's rivals profile says that he had a visit already scheduled to Ok St. on the 9th. If that was cancelled or he just took them out of the running then I feel relatively optimistic about our chances. Im not sure if he projects as a F or C but Pitt already has 2 F recruits signed this year and he has a much better shot here of playing significant minutes right away.

Im not sure if he projects as a F or C but Pitt already has 2 F recruits signed this year and he has a much better shot here of playing significant minutes right away.
He's listed at 6'11", 240 lbs. He's a center.

He's listed at 6'11", 240 lbs. He's a center.

I've seen him listed from 6-9 to 6-11, from 240 lbs. to 260 lbs. Early on he was always listed as a center, lately as a forward in several tweets. He missed last year due to a microfracture of his kneecap suffered during his freshman season, but is believed to be 100%. I can't get a feel for him at all.

Looks like Uchebo cleans the glass very well on both ends of the floor and is efficient from the floor. Not much of a leaper or a shot blocker, I'd be interested to see how well he runs the floor.

I've seen him listed from 6-9 to 6-11, from 240 lbs. to 260 lbs. Early on he was always listed as a center, lately as a forward in several tweets. He missed last year due to a microfracture of his kneecap suffered during his freshman season, but is believed to be 100%. I can't get a feel for him at all.
Considering the two year gap between when he originally committed to NC State and now, the varying H/W listings should be expected. However, I'm inclined to believe he got taller in those two years rather than shorter.

Even still, at the lower end of that is still center size, especially in the Pitino system.

Seton Academy 2013 power forward Alex Foster is the top remaining unsigned senior in the state. Foster who originally committed to Minnesota left after the dismissal of Head Coach Tubby Smith. The skilled four-man opened up his recruitment and this past weekend he took an official visit to Texas Tech. Foster broke down the visit.

“The campus atmosphere was great and the people there are great also. The Big 12 is a tough conference and they have the right coach to help turn it around. They are in a rebuilding process, but the opportunity to play there is tremendous.”

He discussed continuing to get to know Red Raiders Head Coach Tubby Smith while on the visit. He originally committed to Coach Smith at Minnesota.

“I was with Tubby the whole time, but the people I met seem like they are good because the past coach was released. But I mean Tubby is a great coach!”

Foster also plans to visit San Jose State and Rhode Island next week.

-Wow, I hate to say this about a young man who wanted to play here and commited to the school... BUT, glad we showed him the door.

From what I have heard, Joseph Uchebo's visit went well. However, he seems completely different from our current players. He is more calm and quiet. The players I have met are completely opposite. For that reason, I feel like he might not come here, but I sure hope he does. He would fit well within Pitino's system.

ESPN Rumors- Minnesota in Driver's Seat for Freeman?
The recruitment of former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman is very tight-lipped and difficult to forecast, but from what we can tell the ESPN 100 shooting guard is strongly considering Minnesota.

Freeman reportedly visited the Golden Gophers at some point last week. Evan Daniels of Scout.com reports that he also visited Xavier and is getting strong interest from Baylor, where he may visit this week.

We'll let you know when other candidates emerge in the Freeman sweepstakes, but for now be sure to check out what Finkelstein wrote about Minnesota's recruiting approach under Richard Pitino.

ESPN Rumors- Minnesota in Driver's Seat for Freeman?
The recruitment of former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman is very tight-lipped and difficult to forecast, but from what we can tell the ESPN 100 shooting guard is strongly considering Minnesota.

Freeman reportedly visited the Golden Gophers at some point last week. Evan Daniels of Scout.com reports that he also visited Xavier and is getting strong interest from Baylor, where he may visit this week.

We'll let you know when other candidates emerge in the Freeman sweepstakes, but for now be sure to check out what Finkelstein wrote about Minnesota's recruiting approach under Richard Pitino.

Wow that is great news. If Coach P can land Freeman, Mathieu, and Uchebo that would be one incredible late signing class. A big if, but let's hope for the best!

Wow that is great news. If Coach P can land Freeman, Mathieu, and Uchebo that would be one incredible late signing class. A big if, but let's hope for the best!
This is my semi-realistic, semi-dream classes for the next few years-
2013- McNeil, Mathieu, Freeman, Uchebo
2014- Vaughn, Travis
2015- Illikainen, Ellenson, Jarvis

I legitimately think that could happen.

2014- Vaughn, Travis

I would've called you crazy two months ago for that, but they both seem to be leaning in our direction now, at least if the interviews can be believed. These gets would be all Pitino. EDIT: McNeil committed already.

I would've called you crazy two months ago for that, but they both seem to be leaning in our direction now, at least if the interviews can be believed. These gets would be all Pitino. If we could get Black instead of McNeil that be my dreamy addition.

Yeah I agree, Pitino has been great with them.

2014- Vaughn, Travis

You might not be that far away. Very balanced group. I wouldn't mind finding room for J.P. Macura.

I wouldn't either, it's just we would only have 2 schollies for 2014

We could have five depending on how heartless Pitino wants to be with Mo, Elliot, and Oto. Also, it would be dependent on them having finished their degrees and pursuing a graduate degree elsewhere. I have met all three, and it would be sad to see them go and not finish up their career here. However, we could fill their spots with the talent that is coming up in the next few years.

It is all up to Pitino and the direction he wants to take the program

@darrenwolfson: Baylor working hard to get Allerik Freeman to visit. 1 person connected thinks it'll be them or the #Gophers in end. Be a great get for MN.

Go Gophers!!

@darrenwolfson: Baylor working hard to get Allerik Freeman to visit. 1 person connected thinks it'll be them or the #Gophers in end. Be a great get for MN.

Go Gophers!!

Doogie with good news on Gophers. The sun must be shining today!

We could have five depending on how heartless Pitino wants to be with Mo, Elliot, and Oto.

I'd say Elliot will be fine, the kids hustles his ass off and runs the floor pretty well for a guy his size. I don't know about Mo, I love his touch around the basket, hope Coach P can find a roll for him.

We'll see if they can coach Oto up, his confidence must be pretty bad at this point.

Just because he is hustling on the court doesn't mean he is working hard off the court. I'm pretty sure that Pitino will demand both from his players. Also, I have heard Mo is losing weight. My roommate tells me that he is trying to get down around 250 or 260 over the the off season.

Just because he is hustling on the court doesn't mean he is working hard off the court. I'm pretty sure that Pitino will demand both from his players. Also, I have heard Mo is losing weight. My roommate tells me that he is trying to get down around 250 or 260 over the the off season.

Would be great if he can make that happen. Does your roommate know Mo or someone else on the team?

We could have five depending on how heartless Pitino wants to be with Mo, Elliot, and Oto. Also, it would be dependent on them having finished their degrees and pursuing a graduate degree elsewhere. I have met all three, and it would be sad to see them go and not finish up their career here. However, we could fill their spots with the talent that is coming up in the next few years.

It is all up to Pitino and the direction he wants to take the program

If you want to run, you don't get rid of your best rebounder, best outlet passer, and last line of defense. I'm surprised at how many posters feel you need the 7 dwarfs to run.

If you want to run, you don't get rid of your best rebounder, best outlet passer, and last line of defense. I'm surprised at how many posters feel you need the 7 dwarfs to run.

I agree. Getting rid of Elliot would be a terrible choice. He has shown significant improvement and an ability to run the floor as a big man, which will fit well in Pitino's faster system.

Yeah EE ain't going any where. He'll be our starting center from day one next year. He'll just be in a hell of a lot better shape and hopefully dunking the ball instead of settling for layups.

I'd say Elliot will be fine, the kids hustles his ass off and runs the floor pretty well for a guy his size. I don't know about Mo, I love his touch around the basket, hope Coach P can find a roll for him.

We'll see if they can coach Oto up, his confidence must be pretty bad at this point.

I agree....love Big Mo but just don't see how he would fit into Richie's fast-paced style. Elliot works his butt off even if that style doesn't suit him the best. Oto is a great team player but I just think he's in over his head at this level.

My roommate is a manager for the team.

My best friend's cousin was the manager for the Gophers at one time. Only thing we could get out of him was, to get some privacy, they had to lock the door on Sid sometimes.

There goes one of our options in the front court. Pitt was always the favorite though.

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 2m
Im hearing that Joseph Uchebo is signing with Pitt.

Kyle Goblirsch ‏@Gobie247 2m
Hearing from #Pitt247 site that #Gopher basketball target Joseph Uchebo is believed to have sent in his LOI to Pitt. #Gopher247

RT @mattsteinbrink: Joseph Uchebo definitely signed his letter of intent to Pitt today.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom