All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

Just looked at Women's Bracketology. The Gopher's are the 1st team out. The men are 2nd team out. If that's how it goes, it would be the most Gopher day ever.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

SDSU is also in the first 4 out. It would be fitting for the WNIT to send Pam and the Gophers to Brookings to face her possible replacement in AJ and the Jacks , especially since Borton will no longer schedule them since losing in Williams a few years ago.

She has been pretty successful at Northland(JUCO) as I believe they have been to nationals the last 4 or 5 seasons. I would think she would have a chance to move up to a D2 or D3 job soon if she wanted it.

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Former Marshall & U of M WBB player Shannon (Bolden) Nelson is coach for NCTC in Thief River Falls & just led team to National Championship.</p>— MN Buckets (@mnbuckets) <a href="https://twitter.com/mnbuckets/statuses/445028017220251648">March 16, 2014</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Knew about Wagner but didn't know there was another Gopher player on the team. Anyone seen her play and know what type of player she is?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NHREG SRs Jade Schultz & Carlie Wagner will be playing for MN Gophers WBB team next year. Panthers also have 58 game win streak <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23statenotes&src=hash">#statenotes</a></p>— MN Buckets (@mnbuckets) <a href="https://twitter.com/mnbuckets/statuses/445225167652794368">March 16, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jade Schultz was just recently offered by Pam to be a Gopher.

Such a typical week in Minnnesota sports... When does anything good ever happen for the fans here?

How does a top 15 player in the country not make the tourney in three seasons in division one women's basketball?

How does a top 15 player in the country not make the tourney in three seasons in division one women's basketball?

Two words...PAM BORTON.

She took Freese's team to a final four...think just about anybody with Whalen and McCarville could have done that

When there is only one other slightly above average college player on the team and the rest can start for Hopkins.

I would imagine that Dre and Rachel are having a tough week.

Well Borton has to be gone now...Gophers do not make Tourney

I thought they'd squeak in, especially after their decent showing against the eventual conference tournament champs.

I don't think Pam can survive this. She's already lasted longer than she's deserved or that I thought she would. Now, would Maturi quick extend her contract so we can get this process underway?

Still will be surprised if they get a bid if they lose to Nebraska. Gophers have zero wins vs. the upper-tier teams in the Big Ten (Iowa, MSU, Nebraska, PSU, Purdue). Basically the Gophers beat up on the teams below 'em in the standings. Wouldn't bank on getting a bid with that as your calling card. If they lose tonight & Borton says she fully expects to get a bid, she's hallucinating. They may get in, but considering their lack of quality wins the gals should feel pretty fortunate if they do.

SS is right again. Even when he's not trying. Lesson learned: never question him.

It was nice knowing ya, Pam (sort of). Happy trails.

SDSU is also in the first 4 out. It would be fitting for the WNIT to send Pam and the Gophers to Brookings to face her possible replacement in AJ and the Jacks , especially since Borton will no longer schedule them since losing in Williams a few years ago.

I predict our friend T. Denny Sanford will come up with some big money (to help SDSU retain him).

Not sure where the ladys will be playing but since tickets won't be in high demand for either, why not have a double header with the men's and women's games?

Not sure where the ladys will be playing but since tickets won't be in high demand for either, why not have a double header with the men's and women's games?

Only if the play that double header at the Alexandria Civic Center.

Only if the play that double header at the Alexandria Civic Center.

We don't have a civic center.

We open a new high school next year though. Gymnasium is 1,000 seats smaller than the present one.......sad.

We don't have a civic center.

We open a new high school next year though. Gymnasium is 1,000 seats smaller than the present one.......sad.

The no problem filling the Gymnasium with a 2 for price of 1 tickets?

The no problem filling the Gymnasium with a 2 for price of 1 tickets?

I haven't been there for years so I have no idea.

Kind of sad going from 2,500 to 1,500 seats in a new school. No one goes to high school games anymore I guess.

Oh yah???

Littlejohn or whatever her name is was the coach Whalen's frosh year, I think McCarville came in the next year. Since Frese was only here for a year you could argue Borten took her recruits to the FF

Looking at the stats from the final four year...the five leading scorers (and five starters) were either Frese or Littlejohn recruits - Whalen, McCarville, Anderrson, Schoenrock and Bolden.

Followed by Roysland, Broback and Podominick who were Borton recruits and in fairness played quite a bit.

Looking at the stats from the final four year...the five leading scorers (and five starters) were either Frese or Littlejohn recruits - Whalen, McCarville, Anderrson, Schoenrock and Bolden.

Followed by Roysland, Broback and Podominick who were Borton recruits and in fairness played quite a bit.

Weren't Broback and Podominick two of the ones that left the team?

I am now believing that the Gophers need new blood at the top but I applaud you for helping to remind folks the actual story. People tend to have selective memories and think Oldfield actually had anything to do with the recruitment or success of Whalen and McCarville. Oldfield DID change the culture from the oppressive Littlejohn era in 2001-02. The players started to have fun and the offense picked up dramatically in a 22-8 season. After Oldfield bailed, Borton added the much needed defensive acumen and the team flourished and made it to the Sweet Sixteen with a 25-6 record. Finally, the team made it to the Final Four despite losing Whalen to injury near the middle of the Big Ten season. In all, Borton made it to the tournament 6 out of her first 7 years before falling off dramatically. Whether it was the mass exodus and ensuing scramble for players, poor recruiting, or poor player development, the mojo just wasn't/isn't working anymore. I just hate that people point to Oldfield as the reason for the Gophers success. She played a part but a MUCH smaller one than the chemistry and talent of two players named Whalen and McCarville. Oldfield only recruited two nice players to add to the mix in Shannon Bolden and Shannon Schonrock and another in Hannah Garry. All three were Minnesotans so it was not much of a stretch to get them.

Top Bottom