All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

Yowie just does not get in anyone's way on defense, and she does not like to bang inside. She has some toughening up to do.

Assuming you're talking about Zahui, am I missing the sarcasm emoticon?

Let's remember this roster is down to the bare bones. Players must stay out if foul trouble or this team has no chance. Some of the problems with post defense might hinge on players who are told not to foul unless you must. This might mean giving up an open shot or allowing a player to go to the basket rather than risking a foul. A more regular roster this wouldn't be the issue it is right now but lack of depth hurts in many areas.

I agree with the TV crew - Wisconsin played not to lose.

Yowie just does not get in anyone's way on defense, and she does not like to bang inside. She has some toughening up to do.

Zahui -- 19 rebounds and 6 blocks in 38 minutes as a freshman. Doesn't like to bang inside obviously

Zahui -- 19 rebounds and 6 blocks in 38 minutes as a freshman. Doesn't like to bang inside obviously

In the games I've watched she seems to be engaged only part of the time. When she is she is totally dominating.

I thought Hirt and Noga really stepped up late in the game. Noga played the last few minutes like a senior who didn't want her season to end, (short of a NCAA bid), and Hirt was supplying a lot of energy and leadership when things weren't going well.

Still will be surprised if they get a bid if they lose to Nebraska. Gophers have zero wins vs. the upper-tier teams in the Big Ten (Iowa, MSU, Nebraska, PSU, Purdue). Basically the Gophers beat up on the teams below 'em in the standings. Wouldn't bank on getting a bid with that as your calling card. If they lose tonight & Borton says she fully expects to get a bid, she's hallucinating. They may get in, but considering their lack of quality wins the gals should feel pretty fortunate if they do.

I thought Hirt and Noga really stepped up late in the game. Noga played the last few minutes like a senior who didn't want her season to end, (short of a NCAA bid), and Hirt was supplying a lot of energy and leadership when things weren't going well.

Still will be surprised if they get a bid if they lose to Nebraska. Gophers have zero wins vs. the upper-tier teams in the Big Ten (Iowa, MSU, Nebraska, PSU, Purdue). Basically the Gophers beat up on the teams below 'em in the standings. Wouldn't bank on getting a bid with that as your calling card. If they lose tonight & Borton says she fully expects to get a bid, she's hallucinating.

That seems to be epidemic on GopherHole, SS.

#8 Ohio State is hammering #1 Penn State 75-50 in the 2nd half. Maybe the start of a few upsets today. :rolleyes:

Still will be surprised if they get a bid if they lose to Nebraska. Gophers have zero wins vs. the upper-tier teams in the Big Ten (Iowa, MSU, Nebraska, PSU, Purdue). Basically the Gophers beat up on the teams below 'em in the standings. Wouldn't bank on getting a bid with that as your calling card. If they lose tonight & Borton says she fully expects to get a bid, she's hallucinating. They may get in, but considering their lack of quality wins the gals should feel pretty fortunate if they do.

I don't follow Women's basketball that closely, but isn't that pretty common? There seems to be a greater separation between the good and average teams. If UConn and Lousville go a combined 31-1 in conference, none of the Big East buble teams are going to have many wins against the top teams. Same with Duke, UNC and Maryland in the ACC, etc.

Everything I've read, seems to think that last night made them a lock. 20 wins. 9-9 in conference if they lose tonight, and an RPI in the 30's. IIRC, they had at least two BCS non-conference wins and I believe one was against Kansas.

She did battle on the defensive board, I will give her that. Don't get me wrong, I love her freshman year. It's just that, going off last night with post-season intensity, I would have liked to see her doing a little less floating around out away from the paint than what I saw.

She did battle on the defensive board, I will give her that. Don't get me wrong, I love her freshman year. It's just that, going off last night with post-season intensity, I would have liked to see her doing a little less floating around out away from the paint than what I saw.

Once again, a one game scouting report that shows she's not a good player.

I don't follow Women's basketball that closely, but isn't that pretty common? There seems to be a greater separation between the good and average teams. If UConn and Lousville go a combined 31-1 in conference, none of the Big East buble teams are going to have many wins against the top teams. Same with Duke, UNC and Maryland in the ACC, etc.

Everything I've read, seems to think that last night made them a lock. 20 wins. 9-9 in conference if they lose tonight, and an RPI in the 30's. IIRC, they had at least two BCS non-conference wins and I believe one was against Kansas.

Good point. I didn't think of that and just applied the way the men select the field to the women. Women's basketball is so top heavy (no pun intended) that there probably are a lot more crappy bubble teams than the men. ... and that's saying something.

2nd upset (albeit mild) in the books. #5 Iowa 87, #4 Purdue 80.

Good point. I didn't think of that and just applied the way the men select the field to the women. Women's basketball is so top heavy (no pun intended) that there probably are a lot more crappy bubble teams than the men. ... and that's saying something.

I was kind of blown away during last night's telecast when they showed the Gophers' RPI (good) and their record against the good teams (way not good). Sort of dissonant. I think if their RPI were shaky, the poor record against the top 50/100 would knock them out. As it stands, though, I'm optimistic.

Once again, a one game scouting report that shows she's not a good player.

Alright, alright!! I want to take her home and kiss her all over! Is everybody happy now?

I don't think any Gopher was a world beater in that game. Saving it for tonight.

Alright, alright!! I want to take her home and kiss her all over! Is everybody happy now?

I don't think any Gopher was a world beater in that game. Saving it for tonight.

I hope so. It'll be a challenge, though, with a short bench after an overtime game. Fatigue is likely to be a factor.

Gophers playing pretty well so far this game. However, it's very apparent that Michaella Riche has no idea what she's doing out on the basketball court. Her basketball IQ and athleticism make her an unbelievably incompetent player. Need to keep Zahui out of foul trouble from here on out.

Nebraska pulling away now up 70-59 under 4 minutes. Theriot has 17 assists and Hooper has 29 points.

For the most part, I thought the team played pretty well in their loss tonight, but they just fell apart at the end. But, good riddance to the seniors (Noga, Riche). From a basketball perspective, them leaving makes this team a whole lot better. I'm ready for Wagner and Johnson to be a massive improvement over them next season.

What's with Banham playing so mediocre/awful the past month or so?

A game effort, but Riche absolutely needed to make those bunnies and get a few more rebounds to keep her team in it.

Dang, you see the talent there, but they don't operate with enough of a plan. Funny, I thought Pam ran some nice offense when Whalen and McCarville were there, but in retrospect I think those were just two creative players who were making their own offense out of nothing.

Gophers were the last team in today's Bracketology but if there was any hope of a NCAA berth still that likely went down the drain as #5 seed USC just upset #1 Stanford in the Pac-12 semifinals.

MN Daily: Column: Credit Borton on a strong regular season finish, ya feel me?

Banham and Zahui B. will be back next year, forming the premier one-two punch in a conference that’s graduating some of its top players.

The Gophers will also add incoming freshman guard Carlie Wagner next season — a high-scoring guard who could be the third scoring option the team has so desperately needed.

Minnesota’s future seems bright.

And Borton may have done just enough to ensure she’ll stick around to see it.

Ya feel me?

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/women...orton-strong-regular-season-finish-ya-feel-me

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily: Column: Credit Borton on a strong regular season finish, ya feel me?

Banham and Zahui B. will be back next year, forming the premier one-two punch in a conference that’s graduating some of its top players.

The Gophers will also add incoming freshman guard Carlie Wagner next season — a high-scoring guard who could be the third scoring option the team has so desperately needed.

Minnesota’s future seems bright.

And Borton may have done just enough to ensure she’ll stick around to see it.

Ya feel me?

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/women...orton-strong-regular-season-finish-ya-feel-me

Go Gophers!!

I still get the feeling Borton is gone. Seems to be the tone that has been set for quite a while. It sure will be an interesting end of the season recap meeting with the AD.

Tubby was let go after one victory in the tournament.

Be consistent Norwood.

The cupboard is pretty full for next year and I would be surprised if she were let go. Women's basketball is not and never will be a huge money maker, as witnessed by the empty seats in Indy last week. Hopefully they make the tourney this year and win a game with a deeper run next year.

Women's team has outperformed the mens team this year.

The cupboard is pretty full for next year and I would be surprised if she were let go. Women's basketball is not and never will be a huge money maker, as witnessed by the empty seats in Indy last week. Hopefully they make the tourney this year and win a game with a deeper run next year.

So?

Difference is Borton is in her 12th year of her program and Pitino his 1st. No comparison there. Women's basketball is popular in this state (see Lynx once they started winning) and we'd draw a lot more fans if our team competed for titles (see volleyball). Borton is a Maturi kind of coach, ho hum doesn't rock the boat. I'm hoping we shoot for a rock star (or a to be one).

Top Bottom