All Things 2012 Howard Pulley Summer Pro-Am Update Thread

@NSandell: Joe Coleman led with 28 points in Howard Pulley League tonight. Rodney Williams scored 22. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

I thought both looked Ok. Considering they were playing a Tyus Jones-less Howard Pulley squad, their numbers and such weren't overly impressive. Although Coleman hit some very nice shots and Williams had tons of sweet dunks, but if we need Rodney to do more than that, we might be in trouble. Haha I think they'll both come around.

Was I missing something or did none of our players who were supposed to play in game 1 show up?

Marcus Fuller:
I also heard Mo Walker hopes to play in the Pulley Pro-Am maybe next week. His ankle isn't 100 percent but he's practicing and scrimmaging.

Different injury than the knee. Same reason he was in a boot towards the end of last season. Hopefully he gets a little court time this summer.

I thought both looked Ok. Considering they were playing a Tyus Jones-less Howard Pulley squad, their numbers and such weren't overly impressive. Although Coleman hit some very nice shots and Williams had tons of sweet dunks, but if we need Rodney to do more than that, we might be in trouble. Haha I think they'll both come around.

Was I missing something or did none of our players who were supposed to play in game 1 show up?

I believe Austin and Buggs were to play in the first game, and yes they were absent. It was my first time attending these games and I thought it was pretty entertaining. Rodney and JC played exactly how I would have expected them to play. Rodney missed everything that wasn't a dunk or a free throw, Coleman made some nice moves early on that led to some good looking mid-range jump shots, etc. As mentioned above they were playing against 16 yr old kids + Eric Coleman of Tartan/NIU. I was pretty impressed with the way the young guys hung around after being down big early. Rodney must have been 0-4 from beyond the arc which is no big surprise but of course he also created some "Oooo Ahhhh" moments as well.

It would have been fun to see Austin and even more so the new guy Buggs. Next time I guess!

Per Monter, Gophers' Austin Hollins and Buggs did not play due to a summer school test.

Thanks for the report. It's fun to watch Rodney in these games. I hope Coleman's been working hard on his mid-range game. In my opinion, that's the biggest thing for him to work on, even more than his outside shooting.

You never know what your going to see/get at pulley

Thanks for the report. It's fun to watch Rodney in these games.QUOTE]

Aside from the Gophers players, I look foward most to watching Rundels. That guy puts on a show and plays extreamly hard on both ends of the floor.

Big man had four fouls with a few minutes left in the first half, was pissed at the refs so he left and told his coach he quit the league. Maybe he will be back, who knows. His quote while leaving "Some ******* look foward to Pully, I do this *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# for a living."

Agreed. Rundles is great to watch, or rather, listen to on the floor.

A full roster probably wouldn't be all that helpful, as it's kind of a crap-shoot from game to game as far as who shows up.

If the guys all show up it should be a fun 8:30 match up between An.Hollins/Ingram vs Rodney/JC

Mo Walker and Charles Buggs also making their debuts tonight.

Okay, I went tonight. Here's an update -

In the first game, the high schoolers of Pulley were pitted against Charles Buggs, Austin Hollins, and Mo Walker. Some thoughts:

- First, Buggs, the guy I was most excited to see. He did not disappoint. He's a legit 6'9, and probably two inches taller than Trevor (who was there, moving around well, and watching the game). He's skinny, but he's strong, you can tell. He is going to be a great defender. He moves his feet well, he explodes off the court on blocks, and he's got a nasty streak. He rejected Kyle Washington and yelled "UH-UH!" at him, which was funny. He uses his body very well. He bumps guys, and is not afraid of contact. On the offensive end, his game looked pretty good. He finished strong with both hands around the basket, even through contact. He looked for and was hitting his jumpers as well, including a pretty one off the bounce. He's a very good passer, though he goes for the no-look too often. He has some okay jump hooks as well. I really like the aggressiveness he showed. Now, the downsides. He looked a bit lazy at times, losing his man on boxouts, not getting back quickly enough on D, and not always being aggressive enough in the passing lanes. All in all, though, I think that he's a kid who could potentially contribute a little this year. He's not going to be a starter, or anything, but he'll contribute with some D, some hustle, some grit, and even potentially some scoring, though he does need to bulk up. He's the same size, and looks similar, including in his game, to Kyle Washington.

- Austin was his normal self, quietly racking up the points, and playing solid D. Nothing much new here. Jumper wasn't great all the way through, but he played hard.

- Mo looked like he did before the injury ... before an injury. He looked like he hurt his foot, and he was limping around out there at the end, though he didn't seem too concerned, and actually played on it for a while. His jumper looks okay, and he still is great at using his body to shield people on rebounds, layups, and post moves.

- However, the HPA high-schoolers really dominated the Gophers (plus PJ Hill and a UNI guard), mostly because they could not miss from 3. Broman was hitting every shot, from all over the court. Renard Suggs also was looking good, taking it right at Hill and the UNI guys, and even Austin, hitting shots in the lane, and from 3. And, of course, Kyle Washington looked good. He seems like a great character guy, always encouraging his teammates, yelling out assignments, playing tough D, and seeming to be in the right place at the right time. He still has the same smooth stroke, good rebounding eye, and touch around the hoop that makes him an important get for the Gophers (though less essential because of Buggs, IMO).

The second game pitted Andres Hollins and Ingram against Rodney Williams and Joe Coleman.

- Andre Hollins was ice cold. He remarked loudly that he was 0-10, before missing at least two more badly. I'd love to see him take it hard to the basket when he's missing, but Rodney spiked one of his layups in a way I've never seen before, which may have dissuaded him. He did not look very good, but I'm not overly concerned.

- Andre Ingram looked very good. Blah, blah, blah, it's just Pulley, but he's obviously in much better shape than last year. He looks quicker, stronger, and more explosive. He was getting rebounds all over the place, making strong moves around the basket and jump hooks with both hands, and even his jumper looked okay,, even if it wasn't going in. If he works this hard next year, he'll be able to contribute in the (hopefully) limited minutes in which Trevor needs a breather.

- Joe Coleman played like he usually does in Pulley. He shot a LOT. In the first half, he had some spectacular dunks, and was awful from the field, missing badly. In the second half, his fading jumper started going in, which was encouraging. If he can make one dribble moves and drain jumpers, it opens up his drives to the basket. However, just like Andre Hollins (and unlike Buggs and Julian Welch), his layups and shots around the basket are affected a lot by contact, because he doesn't always have the best body control in the air. Joe also really needs to work on his ballhandling more. Guards can take him out of his game. Jordan Taylor was on the other team, and he and others could get the ball out of Joe's hands by pressuring him.

- Rodney looks stronger, and even more athletic, if possible. His jumper looked good... it just wasn't going in. I think he's worked on it though. He still have problems not being aggressive enough to look for his shot, but he did have some strong drives to the hole, and he obviously has the freakish athleticism on defense and finishing around the rim. Not much new with Rodney.

All in all, it was a hopeful night, I think. Pulley can't tell you when a guy's going to be great (see Bostick, Devron), but it can tell you when a guy's going to be not so great, at least right away (see Ahanmisi, Maverick). So far, it's clear that both Buggs and Ellenson need seasoning, but I don't see any reason they couldn't both contribute if needed this year. Plus, the other guys are clearly working very hard this summer. Everybody is in fantastic shape. Plus, the team clearly loves each other. They come out to support each other at Pulley, they pal around with each other, and that's a great sign. As always, Pulley has made me hopeful.

Coleman was 16-30 for 41 points including 2 NBA threes and a series of other jumpers. That's a tough review for those numbers.

Coleman was 16-30 for 41 points including 2 NBA threes and a series of other jumpers. That's a tough review for those numbers.

Didn't mean to give the wrong impression that Coleman was terrible. In the second half, his mid-range jumpers were going in, and of course, with his aggression, he was getting a lot of dunks and layups. However, I'm calling them like i see them. If he's shooting like he did in the second half, we're great, and he'll be fine. But he was missing in the first half, and he's going to need jumpers, because those easy buckets off the bounce aren't going to be there for him in the Big Ten unless he improves his dribbling.

I'm almost positive PJ Hill was not playing last night. Also Mo could hardly move so I would not say "Everybody is in fantastic shape." I agree with you assessment of Andre Hollins and Rodney, but I thought Buggs looked lost at times. He is at least 15lbs away from being able to play PF in the B1G. He is skinnier than Austin, but won't be able to get away with it playing down low where he will need to be. I thought JC had the best night of any of the guys. Seemed the most excited to be there and I thought played better than what I saw last week. Not red shirting Buggs would be a huge mistake, IMO, and I expect he and Wally will both do so this season. I can't find the minutes to justify not doing so.

A full roster probably wouldn't be all that helpful, as it's kind of a crap-shoot from game to game as far as who shows up.

It's still nice to know if there could be up to 6+/- gophers or zero for each game. Thursday night; no gophers and probably the worst turnout of spectators I've seen in the last 7 years.

I noticed Elliot Eliason wasn't there again tonight. Anyone know what's up with that? And will he be at/in any of the games? He's the only player left I need on my team signed floorboard.

Ryan James quoted Ken Lien as saying that Elliot and Oto won't be playing in the summer league. No reason was given.

Ryan James quoted Ken Lien as saying that Elliot and Oto won't be playing in the summer league. No reason was given.

That's odd, because Oto showed up to watch one night, and it looked like he was in good shape, no injuries or anything. Maybe he just wasn't planning on being in town all summer or something.

Ken Lien‏@mrbasketballmn

“@talkgophbuckets: Pro City League tonight? http://tiny.cc/uqiigw ” ......both Elliott Eliason and Oto Osenieks are NOT playing this summer.

Oto is playing for the Latvian National Team this summer.

Alright. Thanks guys. Hopefully he'll be at a game watching and I can catch him. Would love to get everyone on my floorboard before the season starts.

great report - thanks.

charles is a quiet kid but he definitely has some attitude in him. if he can harness that with his skill level...he can be really good.

Okay, I went tonight. Here's an update -

In the first game, the high schoolers of Pulley were pitted against Charles Buggs, Austin Hollins, and Mo Walker. Some thoughts:

- First, Buggs, the guy I was most excited to see. He did not disappoint. He's a legit 6'9, and probably two inches taller than Trevor (who was there, moving around well, and watching the game). He's skinny, but he's strong, you can tell. He is going to be a great defender. He moves his feet well, he explodes off the court on blocks, and he's got a nasty streak. He rejected Kyle Washington and yelled "UH-UH!" at him, which was funny. He uses his body very well. He bumps guys, and is not afraid of contact. On the offensive end, his game looked pretty good. He finished strong with both hands around the basket, even through contact. He looked for and was hitting his jumpers as well, including a pretty one off the bounce. He's a very good passer, though he goes for the no-look too often. He has some okay jump hooks as well. I really like the aggressiveness he showed. Now, the downsides. He looked a bit lazy at times, losing his man on boxouts, not getting back quickly enough on D, and not always being aggressive enough in the passing lanes. All in all, though, I think that he's a kid who could potentially contribute a little this year. He's not going to be a starter, or anything, but he'll contribute with some D, some hustle, some grit, and even potentially some scoring, though he does need to bulk up. He's the same size, and looks similar, including in his game, to Kyle Washington.

- Austin was his normal self, quietly racking up the points, and playing solid D. Nothing much new here. Jumper wasn't great all the way through, but he played hard.

- Mo looked like he did before the injury ... before an injury. He looked like he hurt his foot, and he was limping around out there at the end, though he didn't seem too concerned, and actually played on it for a while. His jumper looks okay, and he still is great at using his body to shield people on rebounds, layups, and post moves.

- However, the HPA high-schoolers really dominated the Gophers (plus PJ Hill and a UNI guard), mostly because they could not miss from 3. Broman was hitting every shot, from all over the court. Renard Suggs also was looking good, taking it right at Hill and the UNI guys, and even Austin, hitting shots in the lane, and from 3. And, of course, Kyle Washington looked good. He seems like a great character guy, always encouraging his teammates, yelling out assignments, playing tough D, and seeming to be in the right place at the right time. He still has the same smooth stroke, good rebounding eye, and touch around the hoop that makes him an important get for the Gophers (though less essential because of Buggs, IMO).

The second game pitted Andres Hollins and Ingram against Rodney Williams and Joe Coleman.

- Andre Hollins was ice cold. He remarked loudly that he was 0-10, before missing at least two more badly. I'd love to see him take it hard to the basket when he's missing, but Rodney spiked one of his layups in a way I've never seen before, which may have dissuaded him. He did not look very good, but I'm not overly concerned.

- Andre Ingram looked very good. Blah, blah, blah, it's just Pulley, but he's obviously in much better shape than last year. He looks quicker, stronger, and more explosive. He was getting rebounds all over the place, making strong moves around the basket and jump hooks with both hands, and even his jumper looked okay,, even if it wasn't going in. If he works this hard next year, he'll be able to contribute in the (hopefully) limited minutes in which Trevor needs a breather.

- Joe Coleman played like he usually does in Pulley. He shot a LOT. In the first half, he had some spectacular dunks, and was awful from the field, missing badly. In the second half, his fading jumper started going in, which was encouraging. If he can make one dribble moves and drain jumpers, it opens up his drives to the basket. However, just like Andre Hollins (and unlike Buggs and Julian Welch), his layups and shots around the basket are affected a lot by contact, because he doesn't always have the best body control in the air. Joe also really needs to work on his ballhandling more. Guards can take him out of his game. Jordan Taylor was on the other team, and he and others could get the ball out of Joe's hands by pressuring him.

- Rodney looks stronger, and even more athletic, if possible. His jumper looked good... it just wasn't going in. I think he's worked on it though. He still have problems not being aggressive enough to look for his shot, but he did have some strong drives to the hole, and he obviously has the freakish athleticism on defense and finishing around the rim. Not much new with Rodney.

All in all, it was a hopeful night, I think. Pulley can't tell you when a guy's going to be great (see Bostick, Devron), but it can tell you when a guy's going to be not so great, at least right away (see Ahanmisi, Maverick). So far, it's clear that both Buggs and Ellenson need seasoning, but I don't see any reason they couldn't both contribute if needed this year. Plus, the other guys are clearly working very hard this summer. Everybody is in fantastic shape. Plus, the team clearly loves each other. They come out to support each other at Pulley, they pal around with each other, and that's a great sign. As always, Pulley has made me hopeful.

Has anyone else heard that Wally and Welch already quit HP Summer League? Not sure if it's just temporary or for the summer, and not sure that it matters either way as I tend to think the only real value for the Gophers in the HP league is to satisfy us die-hards. I have to imagine that the daily pick-up games they have at the U provide a much better opportunity for improvement. But hopefully they at least show up once or twice more this summer so we can get more updates from folks.

Go Gophers!!

What the hell is a floorboard?

A 12X12 piece of flooring. Looks like this....
486562_3781504427762_245615485_n.jpg

Not from the old Williams arena floor, just a cheap one I got at Home Depot. I wish it was the old Williams arena floor though. Haha

Top Bottom