All of Brews staff fired

No, we're entering the peak of the rebuild.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahaha

ahahahahahaha

ahahaha

haha

ha

ha

ha

I agree having some standard for wins the first year is silly but just so we're clear, since we went through this throughout the whole Brewster regime, at what point should we reasonably start to have some expectations for the program?

I agree having some standard for wins the first year is silly but just so we're clear, since we went through this throughout the whole Brewster regime, at what point should we reasonably start to have some expectations for the program?

I 'mpi$$ed he hasn't gone back in time won some games for us already.

If you are saying that Hammock got the best out of the talent he had to work with, could it then be said that he failed then at not recruiting better talent at the RB position? After all, RB is a position where a talented athlete could come in and compete right away.

That could be said if it weren't for a few factors
1 - almost no position coach is just responsible for recruiting that position. Its not like Hammock was in charge of getting RBs, Lewis the TEs, and Butler the LBs. They recruit their 'regions' and by all accounts Hammock was one of, if not the best, recruiter on the staff. I forget right now but I'm pretty sure he worked Ill and Florida but I may be wrong
2 - We came thisclose to landing multiple big time RBs. I know close doesn't cut it but we almost had LaMichelle James and Josh Huff, lost Eric Stephens late in the game and then Hassan Lipscomb never qualified. All 4 of those guys were big time talents coming out of high school. If Lipscomb qualified (and I guess we can add not hurting his knee his senior year) he would've been that big time guy. Also Bishop Sankey is a big time back with grade issues but has remained interested in MN despite Brew's firing.
3 - Wright, Kirkwood and Edwards are a very talented trio of true frosh RBs that could've contributed if not for injuries and academic issues. Kirkwood showed signs of being big time this year, Edwards has a ton of talent, aand I wouldn't be shocked to see Wright become a big time player in Kill's offense.

That could be said if it weren't for a few factors
1 - almost no position coach is just responsible for recruiting that position. Its not like Hammock was in charge of getting RBs, Lewis the TEs, and Butler the LBs. They recruit their 'regions' and by all accounts Hammock was one of, if not the best, recruiter on the staff. I forget right now but I'm pretty sure he worked Ill and Florida but I may be wrong
2 - We came thisclose to landing multiple big time RBs. I know close doesn't cut it but we almost had LaMichelle James and Josh Huff, lost Eric Stephens late in the game and then Hassan Lipscomb never qualified. All 4 of those guys were big time talents coming out of high school. If Lipscomb qualified (and I guess we can add not hurting his knee his senior year) he would've been that big time guy. Also Bishop Sankey is a big time back with grade issues but has remained interested in MN despite Brew's firing.
3 - Wright, Kirkwood and Edwards are a very talented trio of true frosh RBs that could've contributed if not for injuries and academic issues. Kirkwood showed signs of being big time this year, Edwards has a ton of talent, aand I wouldn't be shocked to see Wright become a big time player in Kill's offense.

I understand that positon coaches do not recruit for their position alone. They do however most of the time get to meet and interact with the players that are being recruited for their position regardless of the region. Most athletes want to talk and have interactions with their position coach prior to signing, after all that is the coach they will spend the most time with over the next 4 years. Even if he was not the primary recruiter, he could have helped seal the deal on those recruits, he didn't. You could then also say that Hammock didn't do a great job of finding and signing a star running back in his assigned recruiting territory where he was the primary recruiter if he wanted and needed more talent to work with as you suggested. I also could care less about guys we supposedly came close to landing, you have to seal the deal. At the end of the day you can only evaluate a coach on the results on the field and his results were not great. You say he did the best he could with the talent he was given, then he needed to go out and get better talent if he was such a stellar recruiter. I am sure there are and were plenty of very good RB's in his assigned recruiting territory that he failed to convince to sign here. We can only speculate that he would have gotten significantly better results out of his RB's had he recruited better talent, but we will never know. We can only go with his proven results on the field.

I suppose we could fault Hammock for not going out and recruiting a bunch of ultra talented 4 star type backs but we've only had 3 four star RBs in the last 15 years, Maroney, Lipscomb and Edwards. Guess who signed 2 of them? One didn't get the grades and one was nicked up and redshirted. By all accounts as I said, the 3 true frosh this year were all more talented than the 2 juniors. Does Hammock not get credit for that? I suppose we could point out everything he didn't do or could've done better but the point was that on some fairly dysfunctional teams, his unit was one that consistently performed decently. On the field he got the most out of his talent. Off the field he was one of our best recruiters. If that's not good enough for you then you're entitled to your opinion. I don't think he's a GREAT coach but I think he proved himself to be a solid recruiter and a solid teacher in comparison to the rest of the staff. Nobody has been complaining about the lack of production from the RBs. The problems with the offense have been from every position BUT the RBs to be honest. They block, catch, hold onto the ball and run hard. He lost 2 recruits to the #2 team in the country late in the game, lost another to his homestate school when they were #2, then signed a couple studs that haven't seen the field yet and got let go before he got to coach the 3 most talented RBs he's had.

We finished 10th, 11th & 11th in rushing in the BIG 10. I guess you could say we gave 110%!?!

Mason had built up the program to being consistently mediocre... we're still a mediocre program, which makes me see why some feel we're not in "rebuild" mode.

We're not starting from scratch; we have a solid foundation to build on. It's kind of like the story of the Foshay Tower; we bought the 2-story platform, now we're investing in building the iconic skyscraper, baby! :D

I suppose we could fault Hammock for not going out and recruiting a bunch of ultra talented 4 star type backs but we've only had 3 four star RBs in the last 15 years, Maroney, Lipscomb and Edwards. Guess who signed 2 of them? One didn't get the grades and one was nicked up and redshirted. By all accounts as I said, the 3 true frosh this year were all more talented than the 2 juniors. Does Hammock not get credit for that? I suppose we could point out everything he didn't do or could've done better but the point was that on some fairly dysfunctional teams, his unit was one that consistently performed decently. On the field he got the most out of his talent. Off the field he was one of our best recruiters. If that's not good enough for you then you're entitled to your opinion. I don't think he's a GREAT coach but I think he proved himself to be a solid recruiter and a solid teacher in comparison to the rest of the staff. Nobody has been complaining about the lack of production from the RBs. The problems with the offense have been from every position BUT the RBs to be honest. They block, catch, hold onto the ball and run hard. He lost 2 recruits to the #2 team in the country late in the game, lost another to his homestate school when they were #2, then signed a couple studs that haven't seen the field yet and got let go before he got to coach the 3 most talented RBs he's had.

I think it's a valid point Oleboy, but I really think the only way to really judge Hammock is by how our RBs have done on the field. It's hard to give Hammock much kudos for Lipscomb and Edwards because neither have done anything on the field yet for the Gophers.

As long as we have posters giving the coach an ultimatum, why don't we use it on this board?

I'm calling out, "Breakin' The Plane" and "60's Guy" for posting stupid things. In order to atone for this, you must now make 4 good posts in a row....or else.
If you're OK with a Big Ten school losing to an FCS school...at home, more power to you. I'm not, and I never will be. I don't care that Michigan and Va. Tech have lost to FCS schools. It only happened once. The Gophers should be 0-3 against the Dakota neighbors. That needs to change right now.

You mean the game where Wisconsin racked up 450+ total yards (100 more than us), ran the same two running plays the entire second half, and where we were only in the game because they brought in their backup RB who fumbled to give us a late TD?

Yeah, we totally had that one in the bag!

The Gophers were going in for a big TD in the second half when McGarry got called for holding. It would have been tough for Wisconsin to win by running the ball if Minnesota had extended its lead right there. I could be missing details here, but I recall that as a game the Gophers could have won that got away from them.

Good! Why people want to keep 2-3 guys that were a part of this mess is beyond me. I am sure that they were good guys, but let Kill hire the guys he wants. If they are such great coaches an recruiters, then why were the Gophers so horrible? Wipe the slate clean (again) and start fresh. Ski U Mah!

Wow! Talk about some rose colored glasses!

Not at all. Next year the Gophers will be in Year 4 of Brewster's 5-Year Plan. They are absolutely in a position to start winning some games. This will be the most talented Gopher team since 2003. I will be shocked if they don't qualify for a bowl game next year.

From seeing this coaching situation go down just recently with Kansas, expecting any coaches to be retained is not likely. KU fans knew they had some very good coaches on staff, but it was up to Coach Gill to bring in the people he deemed best for him and the direction he wanted to go.

Coach Kill did the exact same thing. It isn't easy for everyone, but it is the best way Coach Kill can go on with his plan for the future.

I think it's a valid point Oleboy, but I really think the only way to really judge Hammock is by how our RBs have done on the field. It's hard to give Hammock much kudos for Lipscomb and Edwards because neither have done anything on the field yet for the Gophers.
Thats valid, I just think they've performed pretty well when te line has been ok. Our RB play has yet to lose us a game but our play at QB and OL have. Let me ask you this: what unit has been consistently better than the RBs the last 2 years? They don't have pro talent but they've been all around solid

You and I are watching different teams. The wide receivers have made bigger contributions than the rb's every year of Brewsters regime. Decker was responsible for years two and three, and McKnight and Gray this year. all three are better athletes and football players than any back on the team. If we would have thrown more early this year we would have won 2-3 more games.

The key to being a Gopher fan is apparently counting games you might have won.

The past regime lost to South Dakota. Let's let someone else try.

Stpaul, you said it. There aren't any style points given, unless 3 BCS teams finish 11-0. When you go 1-11 and then 1-something three years later before they toss you out, you qualify for no style points. When you lose to a series of teams from the Dakotas, you get no style points and your assistants get no extensions. It's cold, but it's the way of big business and Big10 football is big time business. Ass't coaches get paid more than professors, but they don't get tenure.

You and I are watching different teams. The wide receivers have made bigger contributions than the rb's every year of Brewsters regime. Decker was responsible for years two and three, and McKnight and Gray this year. all three are better athletes and football players than any back on the team. If we would have thrown more early this year we would have won 2-3 more games.
Im not disagreing with that at all. In fact Im on record saying that our WRs were clearly our best players on offense before the year started. My point is that our RBs have been the most consistently well coached unit. Any weakness our RBs have is from lack of talent, not tehnique. As I said they are good in pass pro, catch out of the backfield, run hard and get the most out of their talent. Do you watch any of the. And think that they could get much better? I dont. Our WRs are talented but are all very raw and none are great route runners or have great, consistent hands so I can't say they've been coached up by Watson a great deal. Being a good coach means you get the most from your players and I think Hammock has done that as well as any coach on Brewsters staff. Disagree with me if you like and that's fine bt nobody has shown another unit that has been consistently as fundamentally sound as our RBs the last few years. Our WRs have been good but have made a lot of plays based on sheer athleticism. Our LBs were very good 2 years ago, pretty good last year, and mediocre this year

You are an idiot as well....you can not put expectations on new coach his first year...I don't care how much potential talent he is coming into.....It's a transition year and it will take time for people to buy in to the process...

Thank you for your kind words. I would instead say someone who cannot properly understand or utilize punction -- you -- is an idiot. Additionally, I would say you are an idiot for buying fully into a man who will prove to be a glorified high school coach. He will win some the next two years with the former regime's talent, then fall off because no players with discernible talent want to play for this hayseed.

I want the program to succeed as much as anyone, but you, goldcolredglasses, are as idiotic as anyone if you believe Kill can fix the program. Changes need to come from the top down, and a new coach with no real power within the university's structure will not change that. Nevertheless, goldcoloredglasses, go on believing what you want, spending as much as you can and drinking yourself into oblivion. This coach is not the solution. And, like I mentioned, if he can't win next year and the year after with the most talent he will ever have on his roster, then he'll be out of here quickly. The new president and AD will not put up with a guy who should be coaching the opponents the Gophers beat 63-3.

I understand that you, goldcoloredglasses, and all of your rube friends have something in common with the current coach and probably love the idea of him recruiting every non-BCS-caliber talent in the state, but you aren't helping the program. Get a clue and understand that derps like you are doing more harm than good.

Summary: You, goldcoloredglasses, are the idiot.

I'm glad to hear at least one coach is sticking around. Although the Brewster regime was a failure, there needs to be some continuity starting out. I think it helps the new team get better acclimated.

I am with Plinnius, this group of kids playing FB at the U have talent. If Kill can put them in places where the other players ain't we may see the quickest turnaround in BT history.

I am with Plinnius, this group of kids playing FB at the U have talent. If Kill can put them in places where the other players ain't we may see the quickest turnaround in BT history.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this team back in a bowl next year. We should temper our enthusiasm since it does take time for kids to adjust to new schemes and coaches, so we'll see some breakdowns at some point. If history is any guide, he'll have this team running like well-oiled machine in three years.

Top Bottom