All of Brews staff fired

We also play Wisconsin at home (two years ago we should have beaten them).

You mean the game where Wisconsin racked up 450+ total yards (100 more than us), ran the same two running plays the entire second half, and where we were only in the game because they brought in their backup RB who fumbled to give us a late TD?

Yeah, we totally had that one in the bag!

Rushing offense in the Big Ten the past 3 years

10th, 11th (99.5 yard per game), 11th

Do not confuse the issue with facts!

On a side note: It's painful to see a team go from being consistently in the top 3 in the Big Ten down to the bottom in 2-short years.

Holy Jesus Martha, or for Khaliq's sake, Holy Allah Martha, let the guy get on with business and get off his ass. I will give him 4 years to start proving himself. We gave Loser Brewster damn near that much so back off the Kill negativism with your inexperienced opinions. I mean the theme of the youngsters of today is: I WANT IT, AND I WANT IT NOW!!!

Go Gophers!!!

I know Kill has taken over programs before. Did he fire everyone in the past? It sure seems to me it would be helpful to have a couple people who know the players. "What's wrong with so and so?" "Don't know." "Is this how he always acts?" Etc

"The way we motivated so and so was...." You may figure these things out before they transfer or before they graduate but it would be really helpful to have insight how to coach individual players. Each kid is different. Is his attitude better or worse than it was? Is he playing better or worse than he was? So much of sports is mental!!!

Kill needs to win 6 games next year or it is going to get away from him. In addition, black culture is a real thing. You can't ignore it and be successful.

You are an idiot !!

As for firing the past staff - that is SOP for a HC change. At least the release was done quickly so all can find new gigs for next year. We haven't even had bowls yet so they'll be in perfect position to jump on up coming openings and there are always a lot after Jan 1.

Man, the life of a college assistant coach must really suck at times. The brother of one of my business acquaintances was a college assistant for a few years. He was married and his wife finally said, "No more of this moving every two years." He started teaching high school and now coaches at that level.

I suppose if you're single and have a lifetime membership at Rent-a-Center, it's not such a big deal, but I can only imagine that for those who are semi-established how difficult this is.

Next year's team will have the most talent of any during Kill's tenure. He damn well better get six wins out of it or he'll be exposed faster than the last coach.

You are an idiot as well....you can not put expectations on new coach his first year...I don't care how much potential talent he is coming into.....It's a transition year and it will take time for people to buy in to the process...

Whoa, hold it right there.

We're really on to the minimum 6 wins thing already? That's kind of ludicrous to expect a new head coach coming into a 3-9 team to pull 6 wins out of his hat with a tough schedule. Being bowl-eligible in his first year would mean two things: Jerry Kill is an AMAZING coach and Tim Brewster got basically nothing out of this team.

we know one of two is true.

The Hammock issue is kind of dicey. I would have liked for him to be around but where? I don't know if he would have come back at RB Coach after he finished the season calling plays. Maybe he would've, but Kill's RB coach has been one of his most best assistants over the years. RB has consistantly been one of their better positions.

Kill wasn't going to move Hammock to OC, his OC coordinator has been with him for years and has been an integral part of his success.

The Hammock issue is kind of dicey. I would have liked for him to be around but where? I don't know if he would have come back at RB Coach after he finished the season calling plays. Maybe he would've, but Kill's RB coach has been one of his most best assistants over the years. RB has consistantly been one of their better positions.

Kill wasn't going to move Hammock to OC, his OC coordinator has been with him for years and has been an integral part of his success.

It wouldn't be to surprising if he ended-up at Northern Illinois.

Maybe Hammock didn't want to stay if the situiation wasn't right. I have no problems with not bring any coaches back. This is Kill's staff and he wants guys he knows is going to buy into the way he does things.

Man, the life of a college assistant coach must really suck at times. The brother of one of my business acquaintances was a college assistant for a few years. He was married and his wife finally said, "No more of this moving every two years." He started teaching high school and now coaches at that level.

I suppose if you're single and have a lifetime membership at Rent-a-Center, it's not such a big deal, but I can only imagine that for those who are semi-established how difficult this is.

There are coaches who choose the stability of being a head coach at a lower level over the risk of moving up to a higher level and bouncing from jon to job. Bemidji State's HC Jeff Tesch took over a Bemidji State team that was Wacker-level bad, it they hadn't had a winning season in 10 years and now they have winning records nearly every year. He could move up, but seems content there, he's been there since 96.

The coaches on your staff have to adhere to your philosophy, maybe the existing coaches weren't a fit.

A new coach might not want to retain anyone that has relationships with the players that could turn into a conflict in the future, not saying it would but the possibility exists if you retain existing coaches.

Those coaches were responsible for some of the most embarrassing Gopher seasons I've witness. Good riddance.

I understand where those who say you can't put an "or else" on a first-year coach are coming from...but, Jerry, beat NDSU next year, "or else".

I would let the smoke clear and see what happens. Hiwayman is right, releasing all the coaches might be necessary to clear the contracts, especially if a coach is taking a demotion.

Been waiting to use this for a while:

donald%20trump%20you%27re%20fired.jpg

I understand where those who say you can't put an "or else" on a first-year coach are coming from...but, Jerry, beat NDSU next year, "or else".

I can't believe some of the statements on this board saying that Kill needs to produce x wins in year one. Where was this sentiment when Brew went 1-11 in year one, including a loss to NDSU?

Though letting go of all the former coaches might be a tough thing, everyone needs to remember that they all were contributors to the debacle that was the Brew Era. I don't know Hammock or whether or not he was a good guy. But his coaching on offense and RBs didn't necessarily produce a juggernaut, regardless of how much talent some on this board believe is present.

It is time to start fresh, including going back to fundamentals!

There are coaches who choose the stability of being a head coach at a lower level over the risk of moving up to a higher level and bouncing from jon to job. Bemidji State's HC Jeff Tesch took over a Bemidji State team that was Wacker-level bad, it they hadn't had a winning season in 10 years and now they have winning records nearly every year. He could move up, but seems content there, he's been there since 96.

Wasn't Tesch a finalist for both the Mankato and St. Cloud jobs a couple of years ago? Maybe he is content at BSU because they are a solid program AND he couldn't land either of the higher profile jobs.

Besides, a "6 wins or else!" expectation gives us little opportunity to exceed expectations. Let the expectations be low, and that way when we exceed them, it really looks good. But if expectations get raised too much, then the same number of wins becomes less impressive. Perception does matter, exceeding it can energize fans and entice recruits.

As long as we have posters giving the coach an ultimatum, why don't we use it on this board?

I'm calling out, "Breakin' The Plane" and "60's Guy" for posting stupid things. In order to atone for this, you must now make 4 good posts in a row....or else.

There is a reason the team stunk....well more than one....why would we want to keep around any of the guys coaching this team?
Time for a fresh start.

I understand hammock is a good recruiter, but let's see if the new guys can recruit. We know one thing for sure, the Brewster guys didn't coach em up very well.

I think Hammock would be good in some sort of recruiting coordinator position. I gotta agree with the comment concerning the Gopher running game. Pretty hard to argue with that, though the OL did not always help the situation.

Horton was, for the most part an emotional favorite. He did get 2 big wins at the end of the year. He will always have a special place in Gopher nation (oops, it slipped) for that. I think logically it is probably best for the team he goes elsewhere. Minimize the loyalty issues in the locker room. Otherwise, as a position coach, he would have had to accept a demotion.

Not sure on Davis. Though he seems to have the resume, at the same time I was not overly impressed with the job the OL did this last year. Given it was his second year working with essentially the same guys, I did expect a little better.

As for the rest, maybe the WR coach.

I can't believe some of the statements on this board saying that Kill needs to produce x wins in year one. Where was this sentiment when Brew went 1-11 in year one, including a loss to NDSU?

Kill isn't inheriting a program that needs to be rebuilt.

Re: Hammock, he was a decent coach. Sure the numbers sucked but its not like he had a lot to work with. He was the RB coach and I think most would have to agree that he got the most out of Eskridge and Bennett, 2 backs that don't have a ton of natural talent but they both run hard, catch the ball, and block well and don't fumble much. What else can we expect an RB coach to produce? Neither back has great size, speed, strength, quickness or vision but they got the most out of what was there playing behind terrible to mediocre OLs with an erratic QB

Kill's comments when he go the job lead to the belief that few if any coaches would be retained. He commented how all the players were going to get a fresh start. Some would love him and some would hate him. Some who under performed might get new life.

Re: Hammock, he was a decent coach. Sure the numbers sucked but its not like he had a lot to work with. He was the RB coach and I think most would have to agree that he got the most out of Eskridge and Bennett, 2 backs that don't have a ton of natural talent but they both run hard, catch the ball, and block well and don't fumble much. What else can we expect an RB coach to produce? Neither back has great size, speed, strength, quickness or vision but they got the most out of what was there playing behind terrible to mediocre OLs with an erratic QB

If you are saying that Hammock got the best out of the talent he had to work with, could it then be said that he failed then at not recruiting better talent at the RB position? After all, RB is a position where a talented athlete could come in and compete right away.

Top Bottom