All of Brews staff fired

Ducati Gopher

Reaction score
According to my source, Kill released all of Brewsters former coaches yesterday.....everyone of them.

If this is true I am a little surprised. I thought he might keep one or two. Not saying right or wrong.

If this is true I am a little surprised. I thought he might keep one or two. Not saying right or wrong.

My feelings as well and a move I question a bit. You'd like to have some continuity for the remaining players, but Kill is the boss. Interesting to see who he brings in because he likely won't be bringing everyone with him from NIU.

That's too bad. I was hoping he would at least keep Hammock to help with recruiting. But most of Kill's staff has been with him for a long time so it's not much of a surprise.

But we already heard that Kill kept Cosgrove and that he's a racist!

I don't mind the move one bit. Let Kill run this football team the way he wants too, that is how he has found success at other programs.

That's too bad. I was hoping he would at least keep Hammock to help with recruiting. But most of Kill's staff has been with him for a long time so it's not much of a surprise.

Not keeping Hammock is a mistake.

I don't mind the move one bit. Let Kill run this football team the way he wants too, that is how he has found success at other programs.

Definitely. I'm curious to see if he brings his whole staff from NIU or augments in a few "recruiters."

Not keeping Hammock is a mistake.

I would have liked for him to stay, but if the OP is accurate, we don't know anything about how it went down. Maybe they offered him to stay, but wanted a longer committment than he was willing to make. We don't know anything.

Brew did the same thing. It's not necessarily the standard for new coaches to retain previous assistants. I wouldn't have minded seeing Hammock stay but I'm not shocked.

Need to know the source or a second confirmation to believe this one right now...

Hammock is the only coach that I have not seen confirmation on. Doogy tweeted that all the rest were let go.

How'd that work out?

Brew did the same thing. It's not necessarily the standard for new coaches to retain previous assistants. I wouldn't have minded seeing Hammock stay but I'm not shocked.

I know Kill has taken over programs before. Did he fire everyone in the past? It sure seems to me it would be helpful to have a couple people who know the players. "What's wrong with so and so?" "Don't know." "Is this how he always acts?" Etc

"The way we motivated so and so was...." You may figure these things out before they transfer or before they graduate but it would be really helpful to have insight how to coach individual players. Each kid is different. Is his attitude better or worse than it was? Is he playing better or worse than he was? So much of sports is mental!!!

Kill needs to win 6 games next year or it is going to get away from him. In addition, black culture is a real thing. You can't ignore it and be successful.

I know Kill has taken over programs before. Did he fire everyone in the past? It sure seems to me it would be helpful to have a couple people who know the players. "What's wrong with so and so?" "Don't know." "Is this how he always acts?" Etc

"The way we motivated so and so was...." You may figure these things out before they transfer or before they graduate but it would be really helpful to have insight how to coach individual players. Each kid is different. Is his attitude better or worse than it was? Is he playing better or worse than he was? So much of sports is mental!!!

Kill needs to win 6 games next year or it is going to get away from him. In addition, black culture is a real thing. You can't ignore it and be successful.

Whoa, hold it right there.

We're really on to the minimum 6 wins thing already? That's kind of ludicrous to expect a new head coach coming into a 3-9 team to pull 6 wins out of his hat with a tough schedule. Being bowl-eligible in his first year would mean two things: Jerry Kill is an AMAZING coach and Tim Brewster got basically nothing out of this team.

They won 3 football games last year. A new set of eyes on these players and new ways to motivate them probably wouldn't hurt. If you are on board with coach Kill, let the guy do this his way. He's had greater success at this than anyone on this board.

They won 3 football games last year. A new set of eyes on these players and new ways to motivate them probably wouldn't hurt. If you are on board with coach Kill, let the guy do this his way. He's had greater success at this than anyone on this board.

Slow down, major assumption here.

Without question we are a six win team next year. We were a 6 win team this year, but we couldn't put it together.

Anything less than 6 wins is unacceptable. All that means is 3 Big Ten wins.

Without question we are a six win team next year. We were a 6 win team this year, but we couldn't put it together.

Anything less than 6 wins is unacceptable. All that means is 3 Big Ten wins.

I'm not putting any "or else" conditions on a coach in his first year.

As for firing the past staff - that is SOP for a HC change. At least the release was done quickly so all can find new gigs for next year. We haven't even had bowls yet so they'll be in perfect position to jump on up coming openings and there are always a lot after Jan 1.

As for firing the past staff - that is SOP for a HC change. At least the release was done quickly so all can find new gigs for next year. We haven't even had bowls yet so they'll be in perfect position to jump on up coming openings and there are always a lot after Jan 1.

It also does not mean that someone won't be hired back. This is often done in order to create a new contract situation for a retained assistant coach under a new head coach.

What about Gordy Shaw?

:D

If they didn't like Leach's drunken comments at the Insight Bowl Gordy's comments the next year won't soon be forgotten.

That said continuity is the new watchword and Kill's staff has as much of that as humanly possible. It's also a good thing to let the coaches earlier rather then later;much better chance of getting a new job.

Six wins should be the minimum goal. That would take wins against New Mexico State, Miami (OH), and North Dakota St.; and at least three from the conference.

Winnable games: home against Illinois, at Northwestern, at Purdue, Iowa at home, at Michigan.

We also play Wisconsin at home (two years ago we should have beaten them).

I'm of the belief that Brewster got absolutely nothing out of this team -- just check the South Dakota loss for that.

Next year's team will have the most talent of any during Kill's tenure. He damn well better get six wins out of it or he'll be exposed faster than the last coach.

Top Bottom