25 year season ticket holder

If you consider 2013 a better season than 2019 you should get your head checked.
Specifically said that 2019 was the best overall season since 2003. Those two probably the best since 1967, when Gophers shared the title with Indiana and Purdue. Strange thing about the Sixties is that nearly every team won a conference championship at least once. That was before the Ohio St-Michigan dominance that followed.

Well this hurts season ticket sales for next year, fans want to puke watching this passing game, and recruits at skill positions are watching this circus. We need big winning seasons to get the better recruits.

There is a lot not to like here.
And seeing the lawlessness in Minneapolis.

I have you by 14 years. Love the Gophers and seen it all. From day 1, the first year I had tickets, the answer to getting to the Rose bowl was to beat Iowa and Wisconsin. Those programs are light years ahead of us and this staff is no closer than those before them. Good coaches do not talk culture and rowing and other nonsense.
People say Wisconsin sucks, Iowa sucks and Frost sucks. Guess what, we have sucked since 1962. Ill renew I guess but it is getting closer to handing it over to the new disappointed. Wisconsin will go to the Rose bowl again. Iowa will play in Florida and we should decline.
To what do you attribute the dramatic change in Gopher FB post 61?

OP is having a whiplash knee-jerk reaction and doesn't have any faith in PJ. Adios! I see this happen a lot to MN fans. They get emotionally invested and are ultimately disappointed. The sadness and anger are too much for them to process. This results in them becoming fair weather fans (FWF), this town the majority of people are FWF. They just don't have the emotional intelligence and bandwidth. Football is entertainment and if you're not enjoying the product then don't watch, there is plenty of other things to do with your time.

I love going to the games and tailgating with my friends. Before the game starts I have already had hours of fun. I stay the whole game no matter what and sometimes I regret it! I have been to enough great wins at the bank to make the trade off for sticking it out through the deflating losses.

there is always room on the bandwagon when the team is doing well. You just have to live with the fact that you're a FWF

Life's so short that you are using your time to tell us how you are cancelling your tickets so that you can establish the new hobby of bitching about the team that you are cancelling your ticket for.

Let us know how that goes.
Spot on.

If we are face to face, this is the point of the conversation where you look at them dead in the eye and tell Ron "I'm a big deal" Burgundy that nobody gives a shit. The reaction is usually priceless. You can almost hear their fragile sense of self-worth shattering when you call them out on their prima donna possum act.

I've never understood the self-absorbed obsession with some people getting on a forum to proclaim to everyone that they are taking their toys and going home. It is like they are fishing for sympathy from strangers to tell them, "Oh no! Please don't leave! We can't do this without you!" Here is a better idea: No need to announce anything - just leave. :)

Specifically said that 2019 was the best overall season since 2003. Those two probably the best since 1967, when Gophers shared the title with Indiana and Purdue. Strange thing about the Sixties is that nearly every team won a conference championship at least once. That was before the Ohio St-Michigan dominance that followed.
Got it. I misread what you wrote

Paid way less than that for essentially the same results in the four years preceding him.
Tracy Claeys in two years was 5-7 and 9-4

fleck has been 5-7, 7-6, 11-2, 3-4(pandemic), 6-4

we have not been on outside the lines lately.
Going to disagree that we have the same results.
You can feel free to disagree with me.

so are you saying we can’t get a better coach for 5.1 million?
Or are you saying that we should pay 3 million to get the same results?

Spot on.

If we are face to face, this is the point of the conversation where you look at them dead in the eye and tell Ron "I'm a big deal" Burgundy that nobody gives a shit. The reaction is usually priceless. You can almost hear their fragile sense of self-worth shattering when you call them out on their prima donna possum act.

I've never understood the self-absorbed obsession with some people getting on a forum to proclaim to everyone that they are taking their toys and going home. It is like they are fishing for sympathy from strangers to tell them, "Oh no! Please don't leave! We can't do this without you!" Here is a better idea: No need to announce anything - just leave. :)

Yup. People cancel their tickets every year. And new people purchase tickets every year. Fleck and company aren't looking at GopherHole....saying...."harley_gopher and torres aren't renewing!?" We've got to improve our best.....for these two.....our best fans.

Yup. People cancel their tickets every year. And new people purchase tickets every year. Fleck and company aren't looking at GopherHole....saying...."harley_gopher and torres aren't renewing!?" We've got to improve our best.....for these two.....our best fans.
“Wait some guy who may or may not have season tickets is claiming to cancel them online? AND they are a troll. We better fire the coach”

I'm sticking with this squad and PJ. That being said, can someone close to him (Heather?) tell him how moronic it is to end every interview with RTB, SkiUMN, GoGophers? It's maddeningly ridiculous and embarrassing.
I don't disagree, but umm yeah, good luck with that.

Claeys was actually 2-4, took over interim, combined with 2016 he was 11-8.

Claeys was actually 2-4, took over interim, combined with 2016 he was 11-8.
Yeah and that doesn’t really change anything in my evaluation.

Claeys was a good interim coach who screwed himself by proving to be the worst media relations coach of all time (until the Washington and Washington state coaches topped him this year)

He wasn’t fired for product on the field.

I said "essentially". Every team went through the pandemic 2020 year, so level playing field. Could have also said "almost" the same results. Not talking absolutes like the choices you present here. I'm saying that the U has certainly overpaid for these results. Fleck is what, the 17th highest paid HC in College FB?

Are you saying that there isn't a better HC below him who wouldn't require that level of salary to hire? I'm not saying replace Fleck.

Next year there is not a starting QB in the wings that Fleck trusts enough to replace a faltering Morgan.
There has to be an open QB competition this spring, no matter what.

We walked out of the Illinois game last week in the 3rd Q. Let me put this into a perspective before you react. I've sat through some poor performances and terrible seasons over the 25 years. I've seen it all...I mean I've really seen some poor seasons...but what I saw on the field last week vs Illinois was pervasive to what I saw today. There is something functionally wrong within this program and/or perhaps the entire Athletic Department. Seriously. The coaching staff needs to be evaluated. I'll give this years Football staff an 'F'. Even Jeff Horton's team had some fire and were fun to watch. PJ needs to get his sh*t together....he's not all that special. 2019 was an aberration.

This team has some talent...but the coaching doesn't seem to mesh with the talent. The current QB is awful. Just plain and simple to see. I'm sorry...I'm just being honest. Loosing to Iowa again just highlights what is wrong. Bench him. Gophers will loose to both Indiana and Wis.

Long Story short..I'm tired and no long care..today was our last hooray. I'll probably will spend my money somewhere else other than Gopher Football season tickets. I've seen enough. DONE.
I am not sure what your end game was in posting. Hoping for a pat on the back or "attaboy you tell 'em!" Perhaps you were looking to be talked of the ledge. Whatever.

I am at 23 seasons, so pretty much the same boat as you. Not a PJ reference.

So you hung tough through:

- Northwestern Hail Mary,
- Purdue kicking a FG after starting at their 1 yd line in the waning moments to tie the game
- Iowa ripping down the goalposts at the Dome
- Michigan Friday night comeback
- Punter dropping the ball against Wisconsin
- Northwestern INT return in regulation
- Losing to NDSU twice
- Tim Brewster
- Michigan Halloween goal line stand
- Gophers defense getting steamrolled early in the Fleck tenure

But you draw the line after an Illinois clunker and losing a hard fought game in Iowa where they haven't won since pretty early your tenure as a Gopher's ticket holder. Previously the Gophers had a 4 game Big 10 winning streak. How many times has that happened in the past 50 years? Probably can count on 1 hand. 18 game non-conference winning streak leading into the Bowling Green game. Granted not murderers row, but tops in the country or close to it. Plus game day pregame atmosphere has been about as good as I can remember it as far as tailgate.

Everyone has their breaking point. Personally, my crossroads was that Wisconsin game I referenced and in 2018 when they gave up 55 to Illinois. The next week against Purdue I can't think of a game I was looking forward to less. They throttled the Boilers that day and my crisis of faith had passed.

Good luck to ya.

- Losing to NDSU twice
Should've lost in 2006 with Mason, too. Sorry, but had to call a spade a spade.

They drove down and got in reasonable position to kick the game winning FG. Got blocked.

Yeah and that doesn’t really change anything in my evaluation.

Claeys was a good interim coach who screwed himself by proving to be the worst media relations coach of all time (until the Washington and Washington state coaches topped him this year)

He wasn’t fired for product on the field.
Probably. I do think if they had won the Jug in his debut things may have been different to buy himself another year or two. Attendance was lagging during his first full season, maybe beating Michigan would have built a little more fan support.

Beating either Iowa or Wisconsin in 2016 may have also been enough to get through the PR nightmare.

I'm with Harley_Gopher and gopherjay. I saw my first Gopher game in 1959 and had season tickets most years from the early 70's to a couple of years past the opening of the new stadium. Finally gave them up due to age and health. Sad to say, based on 60 years of following the Gophers, when the Gophers are faced with a program turning game, I expect them to lose and they almost always do. I thought 2019 might be a turning point, but even then we lost to Wisconsin and Iowa. I guess my point is, Harley_Gopher and gopherjay have earned the right to express their disappointment with the program. This bulletin board isn't meant just for Gopher cheerleaders and Fleck apologists.

Just to clarify, I'm not implying the Fleck is a bad coach and should be fired. I think he has improved the program and he just might take us to the next level. But he has made some questionable decisions and is open to being criticized.

Should've lost in 2006 with Mason, too. Sorry, but had to call a spade a spade.

They drove down and got in reasonable position to kick the game winning FG. Got blocked.

That always poses an interesting "what if" in my opinion. That season was already on the brink, they were 2-5 at that point, with games @ Oh St-L, Ind-W, @ Mich St-W and Iowa-W. A loss there blows their chance of Bowl eligibility thus would not have had the Insight Bowl debacle vs Texas Tech (I should have mentioned that one as well).

Without that stench, perhaps Mason gets another year. Who is to say...I guess only Joel Maturi knows. Maybe just losing to the Bison then would have been enough to get axed.

That always poses an interesting "what if" in my opinion. That season was already on the brink, they were 2-5 at that point, with games @ Oh St-L, Ind-W, @ Mich St-W and Iowa-W. A loss there blows their chance of Bowl eligibility thus would not have had the Insight Bowl debacle vs Texas Tech (I should have mentioned that one as well).

Without that stench, perhaps Mason gets another year. Who is to say...I guess only Joel Maturi knows. Maybe just losing to the Bison then would have been enough to get axed.
I'm pretty sure Mason said something about likely losing his job if they had lost the game.

Your same scenario though was just recently brought up by another poster (the guy with the Deadwood guy as avatar, sorry can't recall name) as a what if about avoiding Brewster

Probably. I do think if they had won the Jug in his debut things may have been different to buy himself another year or two. Attendance was lagging during his first full season, maybe beating Michigan would have built a little more fan support.

Beating either Iowa or Wisconsin in 2016 may have also been enough to get through the PR nightmare.
True

I think kill would’ve survived PR nightmare if it was him with the exact same record

I'm pretty sure Mason said something about likely losing his job if they had lost the game.

Your same scenario though was just recently brought up by another poster (the guy with the Deadwood guy as avatar, sorry can't recall name) as a what if about avoiding Brewster
Even NDSU, would Maturi pulled the trigger right there, mid-season? Not very common then, or even when he let Brewster go. I guess in that respect he was a trend setter.

If they had lost to NDSU, without the Bowl incentive who knows if they win their last 3. Get's to be more confusing then a Christopher Nolan movie with alternate time lines.

We walked out of the Illinois game last week in the 3rd Q. Let me put this into a perspective before you react. I've sat through some poor performances and terrible seasons over the 25 years. I've seen it all...I mean I've really seen some poor seasons...but what I saw on the field last week vs Illinois was pervasive to what I saw today. There is something functionally wrong within this program and/or perhaps the entire Athletic Department. Seriously. The coaching staff needs to be evaluated. I'll give this years Football staff an 'F'. Even Jeff Horton's team had some fire and were fun to watch. PJ needs to get his sh*t together....he's not all that special. 2019 was an aberration.

This team has some talent...but the coaching doesn't seem to mesh with the talent. The current QB is awful. Just plain and simple to see. I'm sorry...I'm just being honest. Loosing to Iowa again just highlights what is wrong. Bench him. Gophers will loose to both Indiana and Wis.

Long Story short..I'm tired and no long care..today was our last hooray. I'll probably will spend my money somewhere else other than Gopher Football season tickets. I've seen enough. DONE.
In the last 25 years we've had an 11 win year, a ten win year, a nine win year, three eight win years, four seven win years, six six win years, two five win year, one four win year, four three win years (one of them the 3-4 2020 covid season) and one disastrous 1-11 season. This year we have six wins with three to play, my gut say we finish with eight, but will see. Point is if you think these last 25 years have been bad, to put in perspective, the previous 25 years from 1972-1996 we won six games six times, seven games twice and never won more than seven, a lot of three and four win campaigns in that era. I get it, we blew an opportunity to take that next step, but step away from the ledge, we are a lot closer than we have been as a program

He's an apologist. The exact reason the twins have an 18 game postseason losing streak, the reason the wolves suck every year, the reason the vikings haven't been to a super bowl since the 1970s, the reason the wild don't have a cup and the reason the Gophers programs can't beat their rivals in all the major sports. He, like many others, love to pat these horrible GM/ADs and head coaches on the head and make them think they're good. Participation Trophy losers.
You're one of those delusional people that thin
W Hockey is a shit show relative to their standards, too.

Minnesota sports are just a joke.
How do you feel about Bonin's betrayal sending his kid to Hill instead of WBL?

In the last 25 years we've had an 11 win year, a ten win year, a nine win year, three eight win years, four seven win years, six six win years, two five win year, one four win year, four three win years (one of them the 3-4 2020 covid season) and one disastrous 1-11 season. This year we have six wins with three to play, my gut say we finish with eight, but will see. Point is if you think these last 25 years have been bad, to put in perspective, the previous 25 years from 1972-1996 we won six games six times, seven games twice and never won more than seven, a lot of three and four win campaigns in that era. I get it, we blew an opportunity to take that next step, but step away from the ledge, we are a lot closer than we have been as a program
Yes. I think there is a large disconnect between three groups of fans

Group 1
Started following the team post-Brewster. Extremely high expectations and extremely frustrated right now.

Group 2
Started following the team Brewster era and before and get really annoyed by fleckisms so want to blow it up right now

Group 3
Started following Brewster and before and are disappointed but not calling for anyones heads

Group 4
Non existent group who think this is a great season.

group 1 and 2 are yelling at group 3 accusing them of being group 4

Everyone has their breaking point. Personally, my crossroads was that Wisconsin game I referenced and in 2018 when they gave up 55 to Illinois. The next week against Purdue I can't think of a game I was looking forward to less. They throttled the Boilers that day and my crisis of faith had passed.
Off topic, but just goes to show how big a difference a different coordinator can be. It was a much different team with Rossi as the DC following the Illinois loss.

Man that is a lot of thinking over football. You either win or loose. We lost. It feels better to win.

Real fans don’t walk out during the third quarter of a close game of importance, or disown their team.
I guess real fans blindly accept and pay for mediocrity and incompetence year...after year...after year and attack anyone else who doesn't? Good for you.

Top Bottom