25 year season ticket holder

Really? I don’t think either team is loaded there, but yeah their running back is really good in open space. Our backs ran really well yesterday and protected the ball. Wide Receivers might be a toss up.
Their wideouts vastly outperformed ours yesterday. Our backs played well.

I have been VERY critical of the team. Coaching staff in particular. But the OP isn't giving an opinion. The OP created a thread to say that they don't want to be fans anymore. A totally worthless thread.

And this.....below:
I read it twice. He said he's done with getting tickets.

You don't have tickets and are still a fan, right?

He will still watch the games. He's just sick of paying good money for the stuff that happens on the field.

And guess what, this is going to be a monumental problem going forward. We already have many empty seats. Offensive performances like Illinois and BG along with another average season is going to keep the apathy going. He ain't going to be the only one.

This sucks balls.

Last edited:

He will still watch the games. He's just sick of paying good money for the stuff that happens on the field.

I suppose I meant being a good fan. Walked out in the third quarter of the Illinois game. "Seen enough" "DONE" "no longer care".

Congratulations I say.

I suppose I meant being a good fan. Walked out in the third quarter of the Illinois game. "Seen enough" "DONE" "no longer care".

Congratulations I say.
I would willingly congratulate him for walking out in the 3rd quarter. Didn't it get worse after he walked out? He made a beautiful choice. Didn't have to watch Fat Boy coaching Illinois having fun at the end. And didn't have to watch a quarter and half of pre-historic football.

Last edited:

This is correct. I am a giant fan.....and I probably care way too much about the team.....but I became less emotionally involved quite a few years back. During the game? Yes....the emotions run a little more wild. But once the game is over.....especially in the case of a super disappointing loss....I move on. No reason to let the loss put me in a really bad mood. Won't change the result.

If anything......I look for the silver lining. There is a fundamental issue with the coaching that is absolutely fixable. Just have to hope that Fleck is willing to admit that the conservative nature of this team is a detriment to taking the next step. Head scratching losses are going to continue to be a common theme if the staff's gameplans revolve around doing the absolute minimum in order to win a game. If the gameplans are SO vanilla.....that inferior teams are allowed to hang around with an opportunity to take the lead an win at the end. If....even in games that we are trailing in....the offense runs 25-30 seconds off the play clock....limiting our opportunities to come back.

I'm betting that Fleck has people (hopefully Coyle at the very least) in his ear voicing the same concerns as we are. When the team squanders not one....but three very winnable (and in the case of BG and Illinois....expected wins) games because of a flawed coaching philosophy....something has got to change.
The fundamental philosophy Fleck brings is: shorten the game. It's a negative, deflating starting point. Great teams relish every play and never play in a shell until late in the game with a lead.

I was talking with some BG fans after that awful loss and the first comment I heard was" You need a new QB. At the time I didn't want to admit that but as things have gone on I think he's right. I know I'm beating a dead horse here but it just astounds me how much TM has regressed as a QB and wonder if something more is going on here that we don't know.
Obviously there are a ton of things going on personally with Tanner. His dad passed before the season, he's now engaged to be married. These are 2 of the most consequential things a person can go through so yes, there are many things personally contributing to what is happening to him as a person, and could be reasons for his regression.

I wonder if in Fleck's mind, these things are more reason to keep trotting Tanner out there!? Tanner is the example of what Fleck is attempting to do with his players. Taking these boys and making them into men. Tanner is a great 'person' it seems, so I think for Fleck, he really doesn't want to remove him as the starter and I'm guessing he is conflicted and continues to hope Tanner snaps out of his funk.

On the other hand, he's got a responsibility as the HC, to play (and he's said this numerous times but his actions are short of this) the best player at each position to give the 'team' a chance to win. I commented in other threads that I feel bad for the players just because I don't think they're getting the coaching they deserve AND the coaching decisions they've been told will happen based on production (and other factors obviously).

And guess what, this is going to be a monumental problem going forward. We already have many empty seats. Offensive performances like Illinois and BG along with another average season is going to keep the apathy going. He ain't going to be the only one.

This sucks balls.
Dang you’re right. We shouldn’t jump to conclusions. He was watching the Illinois game on his phone whilst walking out the stadium in the 3rd quarter.

I would willingly congratulate him for walking out in the 3rd quarter. Didn't it get worse after he walked out? He made a beautiful choice. Didn't have to watch Fat Boy coaching Illinois having fun at the end. And didn't have to watch a quarter and half of pre-historic football.
Wow what a savant. He should be a psychic. Remember those Heat fans trying to get back in after Ray Allen’s 3? Oh but if he missed that shot, they’d be justified.

This sucks balls.
Might be really good. I will have fewer idiots around me and easier access at extra seats for low dollar amounts.

don’t need drunk fans who are super negative while bringing nothing to the table around me.

We walked out of the Illinois game last week in the 3rd Q. Let me put this into a perspective before you react. I've sat through some poor performances and terrible seasons over the 25 years. I've seen it all...I mean I've really seen some poor seasons...but what I saw on the field last week vs Illinois was pervasive to what I saw today. There is something functionally wrong within this program and/or perhaps the entire Athletic Department. Seriously. The coaching staff needs to be evaluated. I'll give this years Football staff an 'F'. Even Jeff Horton's team had some fire and were fun to watch. PJ needs to get his sh*t together....he's not all that special. 2019 was an aberration.

This team has some talent...but the coaching doesn't seem to mesh with the talent. The current QB is awful. Just plain and simple to see. I'm sorry...I'm just being honest. Loosing to Iowa again just highlights what is wrong. Bench him. Gophers will loose to both Indiana and Wis.

Long Story short..I'm tired and no long care..today was our last hooray. I'll probably will spend my money somewhere else other than Gopher Football season tickets. I've seen enough. DONE.
I'm in the same boat - 43 yr season-ticket holder. The home schedule next year is weak, it will be a rebuilding year, etc. PJ is not Devaney or Alvarez or Fry. His 5th year is a disappointment, 6th looks like it will be, too. The wheels are spinning, the car isn't moving.

I'm in the same boat - 43 yr season-ticket holder. The home schedule next year is weak, it will be a rebuilding year, etc. PJ is not Devaney or Alvarez or Fry. His 5th year is a disappointment, 6th looks like it will be, too. The wheels are spinning, the car isn't moving.
What’s the best season you’ve seen in all those years?

Might be really good. I will have fewer idiots around me and easier access at extra seats for low dollar amounts.

don’t need drunk fans who are super negative while bringing nothing to the table around me.
You can be an idiot for giving up your tickets

You can also be an idiot for paying good money to watch bad football.

He said he had tickets for 25 years. That is one hell of a long time and I congratulate him for the dedication.

Why did you walk out on a nationally ranked team on a 4 game winning streak in a competitive game last week?

If our players and coaches had this attitude the Gophers wouldn't still be a winning Big Ten team.

I'm disappointed too, especially when the stats and the eye test both said the Gophers should have won today, but lighten up.
Because of who we were competitive with? We should not have been in a competitive game with Illinois.

Because of who we were competitive with? We should not have been in a competitive game with Illinois.
Yeah! You should’ve seen the Penn St stands in the 9th OT. Nobody was there because they were so embarrassed. Oh wait…

Nick Saban brought 'The Process' to Alabama. John Wooden had the 'Pyramid of Success'. Belichick and Brady had 'The Patriot Way'.

All good coaches start with 'nonsense' and build from there.

Hard-pressed to think of an example of all-time great coaches that didn't have some kind of hook like that.
So we have more nonsense than most if not all programs in the country. When do we start building?

we're paying an awful lot more for the same/less results as Kill/Clays and Mason.

we have one functional unit right now in the defense.

Special teams is a disaster and has been since Fleck took over.

The offense has regressed so far from 2019 that its incomprehensible.

This all falls on Fleck. His reaction, or complete lack thereof, is telling.

I'm just happy he managed to avoid an unsportsmanlike penalty againt Iowa for the third year in a row. I guess that's progress?

Your post is the only place that would compare our head cheerleader with coaches that have won multiple championships

So we have more nonsense than most if not all programs in the country. When do we start building?

we're paying an awful lot more for the same/less results as Kill/Clays and Mason.

we have one functional unit right now in the defense.

Special teams is a disaster and has been since Fleck took over.

The offense has regressed so far from 2019 that its incomprehensible.

This all falls on Fleck. His reaction, or complete lack thereof, is telling.

I'm just happy he managed to avoid an unsportsmanlike penalty againt Iowa for the third year in a row. I guess that's progress?

Your post is the only place that would compare our head cheerleader with coaches that have won multiple championships
What’s the best season we’ve had in the last 50 years?

You can be an idiot for giving up your tickets

You can also be an idiot for paying good money to watch bad football.

He said he had tickets for 25 years. That is one hell of a long time and I congratulate him for the dedication.
For some people the finances of a gopher ticket aren’t restrictive

I had Gopher bb season tickets for 23 years, starting in the early 90s. There were a number of reasons why I stopped, but, in general, I certainly understand fans who get tired of watching a product get worse for years with little hope in sight.

I dont understand the football fans who feel that way right now. I've only had my football tickets for 13 years, but I've been a fan for 50. If this is the year that serves as the last straw, you've lost me. You've sat through many worse seasons and far worse decades than this. This was a very disappointing season; many of us thought it was a great chance to finally win the division. It didn't happen, and I'm pissed. But it seems like a really odd time to jump ship.

What is the best season if not 2019? And how did we do the following 2 years?
What is the best season if not 2019? And how did we do the following 2 years?
And how does a debate on whether 2019 is the best season ever change that we have regressed in the past two seasons?

As a reminder, in the conference in 2019 we came in second behind Ohio State and ties with Wisconsin and Penn State. The next best conference finish was 1986 in third, behind Michigan and Ohio State tied for first and Iowa. No one is going to argue that team at 6-6 with a 0-63 loss to oklahoma and a 20-24 loss to Pacific is the second best team in the last 35 years.

We have not built on 2019. Building on 2019 would mean starting the season prepared to play and not needing luck to escape clearly inferior opponents.

building on 2019 would mean with the most experienced team under Fleck's command - some of whom have been college football players for 7 years! - wouldn't lose to Bowling Green. At home.

Building on 2019 would mean beating an unranked Illinois team. At home.

Building on 2019 would mean Fleck would have learned that Iowa is Iowa and figures out how to beat them instead of being out coached by Firentz, again.

building on 2019 would mean not pissing control of your destiny down your leg in two weeks.

none of the coaches in the pst twenty years followed up big seasons with improvements, so if your measure of success is failure to build on success, then yeah, Fleck's the best coach in the country.

if it's expecting performance to back up the talk, then all we have is a lot of slogans and a lot if money being spent and the same results.

we were better in 2019. We are heading in the wrong direction and lose a ton of experience after this season.

The recruiting has been marginally better - our team takent in 2016 was 12th in the Big Ten. This year, we're 10th according to 247 sports team talent index. The same as 2019.

Flecks going to be the coach for the foreseeable future. The trends don't look good, so no, we're not building off of 2019. And 5 years in, we've been sold a change but are gettimg more of the same in a different package.

I'm sticking with this squad and PJ. That being said, can someone close to him (Heather?) tell him how moronic it is to end every interview with RTB, SkiUMN, GoGophers? It's maddeningly ridiculous and embarrassing.

And how does a debate on whether 2019 is the best season ever change that we have regressed in the past two seasons?

As a reminder, in the conference in 2019 we came in second behind Ohio State and ties with Wisconsin and Penn State. The next best conference finish was 1986 in third, behind Michigan and Ohio State tied for first and Iowa. No one is going to argue that team at 6-6 with a 0-63 loss to oklahoma and a 20-24 loss to Pacific is the second best team in the last 35 years.

We have not built on 2019. Building on 2019 would mean starting the season prepared to play and not needing luck to escape clearly inferior opponents.

building on 2019 would mean with the most experienced team under Fleck's command - some of whom have been college football players for 7 years! - wouldn't lose to Bowling Green. At home.

Building on 2019 would mean beating an unranked Illinois team. At home.

Building on 2019 would mean Fleck would have learned that Iowa is Iowa and figures out how to beat them instead of being out coached by Firentz, again.

building on 2019 would mean not pissing control of your destiny down your leg in two weeks.

none of the coaches in the pst twenty years followed up big seasons with improvements, so if your measure of success is failure to build on success, then yeah, Fleck's the best coach in the country.

if it's expecting performance to back up the talk, then all we have is a lot of slogans and a lot if money being spent and the same results.

we were better in 2019. We are heading in the wrong direction and lose a ton of experience after this season.

The recruiting has been marginally better - our team takent in 2016 was 12th in the Big Ten. This year, we're 10th according to 247 sports team talent index. The same as 2019.

Flecks going to be the coach for the foreseeable future. The trends don't look good, so no, we're not building off of 2019. And 5 years in, we've been sold a change but are gettimg more of the same in a different package.
This all true.
Next year there is not a starting QB in the wings that Fleck trusts enough to replace a faltering Morgan.
The whole OL will need to be rebuilt.
The two freshman RBs show only promise.
The defense will lose starters.
THe SOS is unlikely to be as weak as this year's 57th in the country.
And Fleck's recruiting is not the best in the West over his tenure.

Top Bottom