2024-25 Gopher Hockey Season

81 has looked the same for like 25 games. It's not just running into good goalies.

Away sweeps at WCHA rivals are fun
Have you adjusted your rankings in terms of team tiers yet? Because the eye test so far sure says you should. Watching umd fans stream out early two nights in a row coupled with some great Duluth weather made for a perfect hockey weekend

Have you adjusted your rankings in terms of team tiers yet? Because the eye test so far sure says you should. Watching umd fans stream out early two nights in a row coupled with some great Duluth weather made for a perfect hockey weekend
Not really. As of 8/28 I had this:
BC
big gap unless Leonard signs
BU/DU
tiny, almost non-existent gap
UND
UMN
UM

And now I'd say more like this:
BC
DU/BU (Eiserman domination hurts)
UMN
UND
MSU (replaces UM but under UMN/UND)

Last edited:

#5/5 Gophers (3-1-0) vs. UST (1-1-1)
Friday, October 25 at 5:30 at Mariucci - Fox9
Saturday, October 26 at 8:00 at the Xcel - Fox9+

A few thoughts. Early game on Friday, might be a late arriving crowd. I enjoyed the UST "home" game at the X last year but decided to go to the first Mariucci game of the year instead this time around.

Despite what some Big Ten apologists think, I think this will evolve into a solid rivalry for the fans quickly. Outside of close games, which might not happen too often (last year went to OT, though...), there are other keys to rivalries developing.
1. Visiting fans at home games or the other way around. This series allows that and the atmosphere in the X last year was solid despite a huge arena.
2. Local kids on both teams. Players that you've seen at local rinks and at the state tournament. UST has 21 Minnesotans. It used to be that UMD was second in Minnesotans. UST stole that quickly.
3. Competing over recruits: Again this may not happen for a bit but UST is going to the NCHC, getting a new arena, and is a private school in the Cities. With the way the U is trending, I think a lot of well-off parents will like to see their kids go to UST (or ND, DU, etc.) instead of the U. They'll start to get some solid players.
4. Co-workers/friends that support the other school to talk trash with. This just doesn't happen for all the Big Ten teams other than uw and maybe a Notre Damer here and there.

If you were to ask me, I'm already more excited for these games than playing OSU, PSU, and Bemidji.

As far as the games, this should be a sweep. I think Souliere might end up winning the starting job.

#5/5 Gophers (3-1-0) vs. UST (1-1-1)
Friday, October 25 at 5:30 at Mariucci - Fox9
Saturday, October 26 at 8:00 at the Xcel - Fox9+

A few thoughts. Early game on Friday, might be a late arriving crowd. I enjoyed the UST "home" game at the X last year but decided to go to the first Mariucci game of the year instead this time around.

Despite what some Big Ten apologists think, I think this will evolve into a solid rivalry for the fans quickly. Outside of close games, which might not happen too often (last year went to OT, though...), there are other keys to rivalries developing.
1. Visiting fans at home games or the other way around. This series allows that and the atmosphere in the X last year was solid despite a huge arena.
2. Local kids on both teams. Players that you've seen at local rinks and at the state tournament. UST has 21 Minnesotans. It used to be that UMD was second in Minnesotans. UST stole that quickly.
3. Competing over recruits: Again this may not happen for a bit but UST is going to the NCHC, getting a new arena, and is a private school in the Cities. With the way the U is trending, I think a lot of well-off parents will like to see their kids go to UST (or ND, DU, etc.) instead of the U. They'll start to get some solid players.
4. Co-workers/friends that support the other school to talk trash with. This just doesn't happen for all the Big Ten teams other than uw and maybe a Notre Damer here and there.

If you were to ask me, I'm already more excited for these games than playing OSU, PSU, and Bemidji.

As far as the games, this should be a sweep. I think Souliere might end up winning the starting job.
I just don’t see it unless 1 of 2 things

The games mean something (ie they meet postseason a few times) OR
Some bad blood occurs.

It may turn into one for a few fans who want to shit talk, but proximity alone doesn’t make a rivalry if you play 2 meaningless non conference games a year. The facilities and resources are still what they are and will be for the foreseeable future. Was in Duluth this weekend and it was overall very tame with only a few half hearted f the gophers chants. Think the only prior one that’s maintained that steam is UND because of the prior bad blood, but even that has receded quite a bit as compared to when I was in college.

With the pairwise the NC games are often more important than 2 games against, say, PSU.

Top Bottom