2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

I bet theres a few on PSU's board saying, "yeah, but at least we're not Minnesota."
I hate to admit it, but that is funny. Damn, what is happening here? Or not happening?

They already snatched up bro. At least anyone that would really improve this roster and now all they are doing is really just trying to find ANYONE who would consider coming here for this shit show ...
I don't think it is over yet- far from it. He might be a tough get but the kid from KC just popped onto the portal yesterday and he is solid. I don't want to screw up your thinking but something good could still happen.

The Gophers have three open scholarships, not counting Ramberg. How many additional external players will the Gophers sign? I'd put the odds at:

0-5%

1-50%

2-35%

3-10%
Ihnen, Payne, Mitchell, Garcia, Ola-Joseph, Christie, Fox, Betts, Wilson, Ramburg, Carrington. They are going to add two more and yes Ramberg will get a scholarship. Ben hates having too many players because he doesn't feel he can keep them all happy. If there is one thing I dislike about Ben it is his not using all of his scholarships. We've had no depth these last two years and players have had to play with injuries which just delays their healing. It is beyond stupid to not use all the scholarships on players who can help the team in some way.

Last edited:

They already snatched up bro. At least anyone that would really improve this roster and now all they are doing is really just trying to find ANYONE who would consider coming here for this shit show ...
I suspect we are witnessing a work-to-rule thing going on.

I don't think it is over yet- far from it. He might be a tough get but the kid from KC just popped onto the portal yesterday and he is solid. I don't want to screw up your thinking but something good could still happen.
You're right it is not over. But I'm not particularly optimistic we will get a guard that will be a major contributor for us. We had two guys in for visits, and they both picked "lesser regarded" schools over us after hearing the whole song and dance routine.

I'll get my hopes up again if we get Shemarri Allen to visit, but at this point I think we end up with someone closer to a Taurus Samuels type guy. Which means we are banking on development from Carrington/Christie in a major way. I know he wouldn't be ready for the B10 but I'm almost curious if they get Asuma to skip his senior year like Betts did.

Ihnen, Payne, Mitchell, Garcia, Ola-Joseph, Christie, Fox, Betts, Wilson, Ramburg, Carrington. They are going to add two more and yes Ramburg will get a scholarship. Ben hates having too many players because he doesn't feel he can keep them all happy. If there is one thing I dislike about Ben it is his not using all of his scholarships. We've had no depth these last two years and players have had to play with injuries which just delays their healing. It is beyond stupid to not use all the scholarships on players who can help the team in some way.
90% of teams (perhaps conservatively) have depth issues these days because of the portal. Guys who are destined to be role players/depth on your current squad enter the portal. And, potential transfers in want to play (and play starter-type minutes) or they'll find another team. It is not unique to MN.

Ihnen, Payne, Mitchell, Garcia, Ola-Joseph, Christie, Fox, Betts, Wilson, Ramburg, Carrington. They are going to add two more and yes Ramburg will get a scholarship. Ben hates having too many players because he doesn't feel he can keep them all happy. If there is one thing I dislike about Ben it is his not using all of his scholarships. We've had no depth these last two years and players have had to play with injuries which just delays their healing. It is beyond stupid to not use all the scholarships on players who can help the team in some way.
If Ramberg is scholarship # 13 and we get two more guards and one of them gets 25+ minutes- I am good with that. Ramberg is playable depth. He's not one of those guys that the crowd goes wild if he gets in at the end. The kid is strong and tough, a little short on natural ability but he runs the system and I would bet that he is a bear to play against in practice. He is not at all embarrassing to put on the floor and he understands his role completely.

Last edited:

This might be just a little over the top, but I totally get it. There will be some serviceable players available, and we'll probably snag one or two, but with where things are currently at, we need more than just serviceable; we need star power to get out of the basement. We lost star power with Battle's leaving. I'm optimistically saying we gain star power with Christie. That's a star-power wash with last year, and last year was historically bad.

My god you are so pathetic and weak you can't even come up with a good comeback. Its ok everyone knows exactly who you are and how sad your life truly is. :ROFLMAO::unsure:

Oh and not that I have to defend my fandom to a sad basement dweller like you but:

3rd gen Gopher fan, 2nd gen Gopher graduate, 15 year football season ticket holder, 10 year hockey season ticket holder, basketball season ticket holder and so much more. Been to 4 Frozen Fours, witnessed 2 national titles in person (St. Paul and Buffalo) and have travelled to multiple cities to watch games over the years and have so much memorabilia it is ridiculous. Hell my profile picture on Twitter is me and Goldy from a Frozen Four in Tampa and my avatar on another Gopher message board is me and Doug Friggin Woog.

But yeah...I am the BADger fan. Its ok one day someone will think you have an opinion that is relevant and interesting. I mean not here and certainly not now...but I bet there is a barista at Starbucks that is just waiting to hear your opinion on how she should shape the foam in your latte or something. 🤡🤡🤡
Badger Sleeper Agent!!

This might be just a little over the top, but I totally get it. There will be some serviceable players available, and we'll probably snag one or two, but with where things are currently at, we need more than just serviceable; we need star power to get out of the basement. We lost star power with Battle's leaving. I'm optimistically saying we gain star power with Christie. That's a star-power wash with last year, and last year was historically bad.
Battle was not star power last year. He didn't perform at anything near star level. You are right we are getting a potential star in Christie and maybe a surprise in Betts. Overall that is a pretty fair post.

I have no problem adding depth... But when all your pieces are depth, and young talent, and not starpower.... Your not going to win many B1G games... While yes my comment was said with a sprinkle of "over the top sarcasm", it is in my opinion valid. We needed an elite quality player at any of the 1-3 positions... A month later.... They whiffed, and continue to do so.... But hey we got our practice player who was atop our draft board.....

I have no problem adding depth... But when all your pieces are depth, and young talent, and not starpower.... Your not going to win many B1G games... While yes my comment was said with a sprinkle of "over the top sarcasm", it is in my opinion valid. We needed an elite quality player at any of the 1-3 positions... A month later.... They whiffed, and continue to do so.... But hey we got our practice player who was atop our draft board.....
I'll hedge by saying that Mitchell was nominated on a postseason award list, which is more than we can say about Battle after last year, so maybe we're coming out ahead. But I don't see this moving the needle enough to get out of the bottom four in the conference...or even the bottom one. I would love to be wrong.

Battle was not star power last year. He didn't perform at anything near star level. You are right we are getting a potential star in Christie and maybe a surprise in Betts. Overall that is a pretty fair post.
Betts should not be a surprise. He is a star in waiting.

If we were losing Payne and Garcia- you would be saying that we are losing all of our star power. But since they are staying- we have none. Your glass is dry.

I'll hedge by saying that Mitchell was nominated on a postseason award list, which is more than we can say about Battle after last year, so maybe we're coming out ahead. But I don't see this moving the needle enough to get out of the bottom four in the conference...or even the bottom one. I would love to be wrong.
You are wrong, but not excruciatingly so. Getting rid of Battle moves us out of the bottom four. Christie, Betts, Ihnen, and Fox lift us into the top half of the conference.

Battle averaged 14 ppg and single-handedly won us the Rutgers game, which was 50% of our wins.

Betts should not be a surprise. He is a star in waiting.
OK, I'll bite. With all this star power, where should the Gophers finish in the conference standings? Assume the remaining additions are in the 'serviceable' category.

Battle averaged 14 ppg and single-handedly won us the Rutgers game, which was 50% of our wins.
The upside to Battle was there was always a chance he would make some long range shots as he did against Rutgers. The downside was that in most games he was high volume AND inefficient and his defense wasn't real good. He may be a reason we won the Rutgers game and also a reason why we lost so many others.

The upside to Battle was there was always a chance he would make some long range shots as he did against Rutgers. The downside was that in most games he was high volume AND inefficient and his defense wasn't real good. He may be a reason we won the Rutgers game and also a reason why we lost so many others.
Which others? Please list them. The only B1G losses close enough for him to have "lost them" that I can recall are the home games against Nebraska, Indiana and Wisconsin and I'm not sure you can pin them all on Battle.

And do answer my own question: Battle scored 20 against Indiana and 14 against Nebraska. So you can't pin those losses on him. He did no-show the Wisconsin home game. I don't think that equates to "lost us so many others."

Last edited:

I do believe in Betts, Christie, Payne and the high ceiling potential of those guys.

Obviously Garcia is a good player. Even Carrington, JOJ and Mitchell should be solid. Those 3 may just need a little bit more time to fully develop.

I don't believe in the coaching staff getting it all to come together. They haven't shown they can do it yet.

Top Bottom