2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

Seems like we’re destined for another pulse as far as I can tell. Maybe this is just a sign we need to get out more. Wake me up when the season starts,

the guy certainly has wingspan

regarding @atagopher's 'guys who get pushed out' i was thinking derrian ford, arkansas. was 247's 2022 #80. leaving after his freshman year

wing DJ Rodman WSU just entered the portal. yes, Dennis Rodman's kid. Good player. Maybe science project wilson could make a call
DJ Rodman would be a nice get.

He likely has designs on something more promising than Dinkytown, though.

Not saying we can't find others, but would you rather take this guy or not use the scholarship?
I'm curious what kind of locker room guy he can/would be. He has already played for 3 teams (UIC, Idaho, KC) and KC was bad last year (11-21). Somebody made a comment about how he "was out to get his". Also jacked up 8 3PT per game. Battle shot only 5.6 per game last year for reference.

That said he drives/goes to the FT line at an incredible rate. He shot 5.7 FT per game, at an 83% clip. That is something we are really missing from our team right now. He had games where he attempted 20, 12, 16, 10, 10 free throws. I wonder if he played 15 minutes per game and had some discipline/shot selection he could be more effective in a smaller role.

Not advocating for this guy, but I do hope we add another 1-2 guards and I hope one of them is a guy who has a high FT% and drives to the hoop.

I'm curious what kind of locker room guy he can/would be. He has already played for 3 teams (UIC, Idaho, KC) and KC was bad last year (11-21). Somebody made a comment about how he "was out to get his". Also jacked up 8 3PT per game. Battle shot only 5.6 per game last year for reference.

That said he drives/goes to the FT line at an incredible rate. He shot 5.7 FT per game, at an 83% clip. That is something we are really missing from our team right now. He had games where he attempted 20, 12, 16, 10, 10 free throws. I wonder if he played 15 minutes per game and had some discipline/shot selection he could be more effective in a smaller role.

Not advocating for this guy, but I do hope we add another 1-2 guards and I hope one of them is a guy who has a high FT% and drives to the hoop.
Yes. And I want defense and transition points.

Much like others, I know 0 about him but it appears we have not reached out. At this point you have to ask least check in right? There is no way CBJ looks at the roster today and says. Nah we're good! Right??

Much like others, I know 0 about him but it appears we have not reached out. At this point you have to ask least check in right? There is no way CBJ looks at the roster today and says. Nah we're good! Right??
Unless he already knows him and says no on the culture fit. I know nothing of the guy but I can easily see a player who is a ball hog not going over well with teammates.

No, your right about the looks at roster part.

He is huge on fit though. I think where others see he just took Samuels, I suspect it was more the opposite of the RayQ’s orientation. I would doubt we pursue.

I’m just guessing but it Seems like he prefers a grad transfer with one slot and would take a 2nd with 1 or 2 years.

No, your right about the looks at roster part.

He is huge on fit though. I think where others see he just took Samuels, I suspect it was more the opposite of the RayQ’s orientation. I would doubt we pursue.

I’m just guessing but it Seems like he prefers a grad transfer with one slot and would take a 2nd with 1 or 2 years.
To me, at this point, this team needs players but it also is going to rely on really good teamwork and chemistry. If this guy is not a team first guy, don't take him or pursue him.

Per the OP --- would you have said this isn't a bad roster in year 3 post cbj hiring?

I think I'm taking him if he wants to come here.

Not ideal, could be a disaster, but think it's worth the risk.

Per the OP --- would you have said this isn't a bad roster in year 3 post cbj hiring?
When he was hired, I said he was the wrong guy and would have huge struggles getting the talent he needed because of his lack of a track record. I at the time stated that the fans would quickly lose patience with him because he had to start over and the results would be rough. At the time I didn't anticipate how much tougher the NIL situation would make it.

So considering who we hired, I think the talent he has acquired is not bad. Would I say that this roster is as good as Musselman or perhaps Dutcher would have gotten? No way. If Ben can get to 8+ wins somehow this year- then we probably have a pretty good coach that we can grow with.
He was given a nearly impossible situation to sell considering his own lack of experience.

What is the typical drop dead (roster set date) for us to sign a transfer? If I recall, our final pick up from last year was the prodigy (samuels) around the second week of may…

Of course. And bga is one of the very few posters that understands college basketball. He is indeed the premier poster on this board. Pay attention.

When he was hired, I said he was the wrong guy and would have huge struggles getting the talent he needed because of his lack of a track record. I at the time stated that the fans would quickly lose patience with him because he had to start over and the results would be rough. At the time I didn't anticipate how much tougher the NIL situation would make it.

So considering who we hired, I think the talent he has acquired is not bad. Would I say that this roster is as good as Musselman or perhaps Dutcher would have gotten? No way. If Ben can get to 8+ wins somehow this year- then we probably have a pretty good coach that we can grow with.
He was given a nearly impossible situation to sell considering his own lack of experience.
8 wins. Wonderful.

What is the typical drop dead (roster set date) for us to sign a transfer? If I recall, our final pick up from last year was the prodigy (samuels) around the second week of may…
not much happens after mid june. about the latest to the U was both gach 0n 6/15/2020

Unless he already knows him and says no on the culture fit. I know nothing of the guy but I can easily see a player who is a ball hog not going over well with teammates.
As I said, I don't know the kid, maybe he's a kid who is all about #1 and a jerk. But again, we are woefully thin at the Pg/sg/cg positions. So to me maybe you have to risk it. CBJ must know if the only kids we add going forward are Samuels levels he's not going to keep his job. It's either that or he's got a 1 in a million revelation that no one knows about.

Well.. there is the strange story of Kansas State who in year one put together a whole team and made a tournament run..... They only had 5 guys signed up by last July!

MANHATTAN — When Kansas State's basketball team unveiled new T-shirts on Sunday night for the NCAA Tournament bracket reveal, they had a special meaning for senior guard Markquis Nowell and junior forward Ismael Massoud.

The words, "CRAZY FAITH" across the chest applied to all the Wildcats, who at the direction of first-year coach Jerome Tang adopted the motto for the team's improbable run to a third-place Big 12 finish and then a No. 3 seed in the NCAA East Region.

But below those words were two numerals, followed by 13 blank spaces.

"It's actually a 1, 2, because we started out with two guys, me and Ish, and then it just leads on to everybody we have on the roster," Nowell explained. "So we had crazy faith from the jump, me and Ish.

"We did everything and anything in our power to get guys here. And now to see that we're selected in Selection Sunday is just a testament to our crazy faith."

Indeed, when Tang was named head coach a year ago, Nowell and Massoud were the only players from the 2021-22 roster that stuck around. Tang can joke about it now, but it took all spring and summer for the 13-man roster, plus two walk-ons, to take shape.

"Gene (Taylor, K-State athletics director) was telling Marco (Borne, basketball chief of staff) just now that he remembers in July when we still had five guys and he was walking around like: 'Man, do these guys know what they're doing? What's going on here?'" Tang said with a smile. "So it's this whole accomplishment and what we've been able to do since March 22.

Assuming he would go to a blue blood over the Gophs proximity?
I suppose we need a guard more, and what you say might be true, but when I was in the private sector, we used to call this kind of thing a strategic hire. I would court him big time; he's good.

Nebraska adds former Iowa back-up PG Ahron Ulis. The Mayor's transfer class now includes:

Bradley's Rienk Mast-- 13.8 ppg, 8 rpg
Charlotte's Brice Williams -- 13.8 ppg 5.3 rpg
Ulis -- 6.1 ppg, 2.1 apg

Last edited:

Nebraska adds former Iowa back-up PG Ahron Ulis. The Mayor's transfer class now includes:

Brown's Rienk Mast-- 13.8 ppg, 8 rpg
Ulis -- 6.1 ppg, 2.1 apg
Mast was at Bradley. I was impressed with him as a big who could score inside and out.

Brown's Rienk Mast-- 13.8 ppg, 8 rpg
Ulis -- 6.1 ppg, 2.1 apg

Good haul for them. Probably 3 starters. To go along with Wilcher and Tominaga(if he withdraws from the nba draft). As of now, they have a better starting 5 than we do IMO.

I'm not sure if Ramberg and Purcell are testing the waters, but I'm confident they'll stay when Ben offers them a scholarship.
Does the sun EVER shine at your house?

Top Bottom