2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

If you go to ESPN and look up his stats you will see he would not compete for a spot here. We could put any of the 4s, any 3 and several 2s way ahead of Puff. He is not productive and bad in the locker room. I’ll put our HS recruit way ahead of him at the 3. Christie. Move up from there. btw posted his line and left out a lot of negatives that he would not know. Ihnen should have a true break out year for us too. I put JOJ well ahead of Puff. Puff makes PSU easier for us to beat. Heck some people still see Battle as a loss.
Thank you, that's better. Appreciate it!

Are you the guy (under another moniker) that was saying if someone also supports another team(s) they're a troll & not a true Gopher fan? Now it all makes sense.
It always made sense. I just wish more Gopher fans knew more about sports. There some. You used to be one.

Puff Johnson is a solid role player at best. Because UNC is on ESPN a lot, I've seen them play 15+ times over the past two years. He was supposed to be the lefty version of his brother, but he's not. He's not a consistent shooter (yet floats around the 3 point line) not quick enough to defend guards, not big enough to defend power forwards, and doesn't rebound well. He went to Penn State because there aren't many power conference teams he would start for. I would take him as a bench player, but that's it. He has a lot to improve this offseason to become a good college basketball player.

It always made sense. I just wish more Gopher fans knew more about sports. There some. You used to be one.
I’m not even making the argument Johnson will necessarily have a better season than the Gophers 3 SF you finally mentioned. But I am curious how they all perform. And Penn State overall compared to the Gophers, too.

I’m not even making the argument Johnson will necessarily have a better season than the Gophers 3 SF you finally mentioned. But I am curious how they all perform. And Penn State overall compared to the Gophers, too.
We really don’t know until the games begin, but 3 SFs? More like 4 or 5 whether it is their optimal position or not. The 4 and 5 are the ones we can not rotate out of position. Garcia will tie up half of the other team D while Payne draws 2.

So according to Rockraven, the Gophers have tons of NBA level talent, an all time great coach and every other team is trash. I guess the good news is that since he knows more than everyone else, he's going to make millions upon millions betting the Gophers over on wins, ya know since it's a lock. Then he will be able to fund all the NIL and we will win title after title. #Blessed

🤣🤣🤣
No need now for NIL. Rocky brought all our good players - and we have some - in without it, proving it can be done.

Maybe play Garcia and Payne with another 4 or with 3 guards. Use your talent where they are the best. And nothing with 4s that can shoot 3s at 40%.

Last edited:

I was optimistic heading into last year, so I'm in the I'll believe it when I see it mode. I was hoping for better results in the portal, even given his past failures. We haven't upgraded at all IMO. Which is my frustration.

Entering last season everyone assumed Battle would be as good or better than the year before. Coupled with Garcia we thought we had two good Big Ten players. Cooper was highly rated. Reality was Battle competed with Garcia for stats, forcing early threes, and hurt the offense all year.

No need now for NIL. Rocky brought all our good players - and we have some - in without it, proving it can be done.
Haven’t supported any yet, but we are looking at 1 BB and 1 FB player before long. Revenue sports only. All American student types.

Locally we have a Carolina Panther and a women's MMA fighter.

Taurus Samuels scored 23 @Georgetown and 22 @Stanford in his last season at Dartmouth. Boy did that translate well...

Yeah, and Samuels wouldn't have even seen the court if he was on that UNC team, because he was unplayable the last month of the season on the worst Gophers team of my life...

This is similar to where I'm at and seems fair as a fan. Ben just hasn't been able to handle the portal. Still time this year I guess, but idk.
Ben and Minnesota the program. Portal guys don't choose on basis of coach alone.

Puff Johnson is a solid role player at best. Because UNC is on ESPN a lot, I've seen them play 15+ times over the past two years. He was supposed to be the lefty version of his brother, but he's not. He's not a consistent shooter (yet floats around the 3 point line) not quick enough to defend guards, not big enough to defend power forwards, and doesn't rebound well. He went to Penn State because there aren't many power conference teams he would start for. I would take him as a bench player, but that's it. He has a lot to improve this offseason to become a good college basketball player.
You described Battle.

We really don’t know until the games begin, but 3 SFs? More like 4 or 5 whether it is their optimal position or not. The 4 and 5 are the ones we can not rotate out of position. Garcia will tie up half of the other team D while Payne draws 2.
Who will the other half a player guard? Somebody should be open.

Battle is easily the better player. Proved he can shoot (and take over games) his first year here. I'd bet on him rebounding from his slump this past year and playing well for Ohio State.
Battle's slump was in his head, his focus on scoring stats for pro scouts. Not a team player. Doubt it will be different at OSU.

put Jack in the corner...pretty sure he'll be unguarded...wide open
we need shooters...plural
That is actually worth a try. Even TT could have dropped two of ten in that offense. If Jack goes three of ten he's as good as Battle.

That is actually worth a try. Even TT could have dropped two of ten in that offense. If Jack goes three of ten he's as good as Battle.
If it was his (TT) role and he played with confidence, I'm guessing he'd have done better. Make him a perimeter defender in a zone defense and he'd actually be able to contribute.

Top Bottom