2023 College Basketball Transfer Portal Watch Thread

those of you thinking its a sound strategy to add players on scholarship as "practice players", just look at the tennis team. injuries happen. there are starters and non-starters, and non-starters likely will have to start at some point in a season

It would be fascinating to see what the inner workings of transfer portal recruiting look like. I have to believe it is mass chaos constantly monitoring who is in the portal and then trying to quickly vet them and determine if they are a good fit and gettable. All while still watching to see who else might become available and also making sure your current players don't leave.

It definitely shouldn't be a one-man job. I hope all hands are on deck this offseason including some grad assistants doing monitoring and updating.

those of you thinking its a sound strategy to add players on scholarship as "practice players", just look at the tennis team. injuries happen. there are starters and non-starters, and non-starters likely will have to start at some point in a season

What are you talking about? No one here wants practice players on scholarship while there are still open roster spaces that need to be taken by productive players.

However, not all recruits are clueless. They can see if you have a crowd at their positions. So, if you already have two players with a high probability of playing the point full or part-time, you're unlikely to get a third one of much quality.

It definitely shouldn't be a one-man job. I hope all hands are on deck this offseason including some grad assistants doing monitoring and updating.
You can stay on top of things with a good data base and proper delegation of responsibilities. Not hard for the team, impossible for us.

What are you talking about? No one here wants practice players on scholarship while there are still open roster spaces that need to be taken by productive players.

However, not all recruits are clueless. They can see if you have a crowd at their positions. So, if you already have two players with a high probability of playing the point full or part-time, you're unlikely to get a third one of much quality.
So you are saying we are unlikely to land 5 starting caliber guards.... :)

Some don't seem to get that you need role players too.

You can stay on top of things with a good data base and proper delegation of responsibilities. Not hard for the team, impossible for us.
I am sure teams have worked out ways to track and manage the portal but I still don't think it's easy given the short window and constantly changing player pool. Very different than high school recruiting where you have an extended period of time to establish relationships and vet players.

I am sure teams have worked out ways to track and manage the portal but I still don't think it's easy given the short window and constantly changing player pool. Very different than high school recruiting where you have an extended period of time to establish relationships and vet players.
Portal recruiters certainly must be leaning forward in the foxhole day and night.

So you are saying we are unlikely to land 5 starting caliber guards.... :)

Some don't seem to get that you need role players too.
Depends on what you mean by caliber. Samuels started games for us last year, finding 5 guys that good wouldn't be difficult.

Hell, finding 5 guys that good at your local YMCA wouldn't be impossible,.

Twins pitchers have been striking out a lot of batters so far this year. But still pretty sure that strike 47 isn't a baseball term :)
was thinking more along the lines of swing and a miss for Ben and for the Twins. After the football was pulled away from me saturday night in Tampa, I'm sure if I follow the Twins closely this season they will win 110 games then be swept by the Yankees in the playoffs. Love being a MN sports fan.

This is not true. You absolutely need role players and the hard part is keeping players whose role is to not start.
Shaq always talks about the “others” and how with how great he and Kobe were, they don’t win squat without Fischer, Horrey, Fox etc - their role players were good, minimal weak links

Shaq always talks about the “others” and how with how great he and Kobe were, they don’t win squat without Fischer, Horrey, Fox etc - their role players were good, minimal weak links
Yes, but those "role" players were starters. I doubt coaches recruit guys thinking they would never be part of the top 8-9 man rotation. "Hey, this guy will be a good practice player but in 4 years will never avg more than 1 min/gm". If that is the case, why recruit the guy in the first place? I would assume a coach recruits players aiming for those 8-9 top spots. Of course young guys (usually) need a season or 2 to develop. I suppose there are always those situations/seasons where it is nice to pick up a Matz Stockman or 2 to fill a back up immediate need for one season. I don't envy the job the coaching staff has to juggle this spring. Good luck Ben.

Everyone making the assertion that role players are important are absolutely correct. I think the point others are trying to make is that after consecutive last place finishes our front line starters need to be better and our focus needs to be on finding better players than we currently have or it could be a threepeat.

How in the hell can you understand what Big Mumbles is saying anyway?

And that is on us the fans for not donating to the NIL pot....not Ben's fault. It's OURS
Are you really, truly blaming MN BB fans for the failure? Really?

Do you suppose there are fans that already are at their limit spending for tickets, parking, etc etc?

Dont worry, Ben, its the darn MN BB fans that cause all these losses...........

Completely blind.

Yes, but those "role" players were starters. I doubt coaches recruit guys thinking they would never be part of the top 8-9 man rotation. "Hey, this guy will be a good practice player but in 4 years will never avg more than 1 min/gm". If that is the case, why recruit the guy in the first place? I would assume a coach recruits players aiming for those 8-9 top spots. Of course young guys (usually) need a season or 2 to develop. I suppose there are always those situations/seasons where it is nice to pick up a Matz Stockman or 2 to fill a back up immediate need for one season. I don't envy the job the coaching staff has to juggle this spring. Good luck Ben.
You don't recruit a kid out of high school with the idea they are going to be a role player but transfers could be a different story.

Top Bottom