2023-2024 Gophers Basketball Schedule Thread

I couldn't help myself, so I did a little research.

Since the 2018-19 season, 8 Big Ten teams finished the Big Ten regular season with a 9-11 record (2 games below .500). 4 of those made the NCAA Tournament (Gophers 2019, Maryland 2020, MSU 2020, Indiana 2022) and 1 other by my estimation (Wisconsin 2023) was near the bubble heading into the Big Ten Tournament but did not make it. The other 3 (Indiana 2020, Purdue 2020, Nebraska 2023) by my estimation were not close to the bubble.

So a little bit of a mixed bag. ... 5 of the 8 were close to the bubble, 4 made it (50%).
Interesting
2023 Nebraska wasn’t close to the bubble
2020 Indiana wasn’t close to the bubble, but on February 27 they had 4 games left and if they won 2 or 3 instead of 1 they would’ve been on the bubble or in
2020 Purdue was 16-15, if they were 19-12 (9-11) it would be different
2020 Purdue also lost 5 of their last 7. They spend February on the bubble but then fell off the bubble the last 3 weeks of the season.

I should revise my statement.
I shouldn’t say “near the bubble”
I should say “in the bubble discussion in February”

Because if the gophers went 18-13 8-12
They’d almost assuredly be on the bubble discussions in February unless they happen to have 6 of their 8 conference wins in the month of February.

Last edited:

Known Gophers non-conference opponents with last year's final NET ranking:
Ball State (156)
USC-Upstate (253)
Maine (273)

Average NET Rank (so far): 227.333
Average NET of 2022-23 Non-Conference Opponents: 218.4

Not doing the research, but win total isn’t what it used to be. SOS - and winning some those quad 1 games - is a main criteria these days. The committee will not be impressed with q3/q4 scheduling.

With the dire situation they are in regarding season ticket renewal (it's going to be bad) I would think they will try to add a couple of solid non conference games at home. Perhaps that is the thinking behind ditching the tournament against two tough teams. Why not bring the tougher games to Williams Arena as a perk to the fans and also give the Gophers a better shot at winning?

With the dire situation they are in regarding season ticket renewal (it's going to be bad) I would think they will try to add a couple of solid non conference games at home. Perhaps that is the thinking behind ditching the tournament against two tough teams. Why not bring the tougher games to Williams Arena as a perk to the fans and also give the Gophers a better shot at winning?
Keep your optimism going, man! Your thought process is almost completely contrary to how the athletic department has treated season ticket holders for a generation. The faces have changed, but the actions have not. If we get a couple of decent (at this point, I'll call any P-6 home opponent decent) this year, I'll be shocked.

If they are really looking to sell tickets, they would bring in St. Thomas, NDSU, and North Dakota.

Known Gophers non-conference opponents with last year's final NET ranking:
Ball State (156)
USC-Upstate (253)
Maine (273)

Average NET Rank (so far): 227.333
Average NET of 2022-23 Non-Conference Opponents: 218.4

Maine is a bottom ten program in the nation. I'd bet 273 was the best they've had since the NET began.

Keep your optimism going, man! Your thought process is almost completely contrary to how the athletic department has treated season ticket holders for a generation. The faces have changed, but the actions have not. If we get a couple of decent (at this point, I'll call any P-6 home opponent decent) this year, I'll be shocked.

If they are really looking to sell tickets, they would bring in St. Thomas, NDSU, and North Dakota.
I agree with you. I am saying what they should do. Those 3 would be fun but I would bring in another power conference team as well.

Lmao. Not happening. We ditched that to play Ball State and USC Upstate. Get ready for a roll call of MEAC and SWAC teams.

The forward-thinking ADs in the BIG are already looking at how the additions of USC and UCLA are going to affect their team's chances of not only winning the conference but also making the tournament and what changes have to be made.
USC is said to have a stellar recruit ranking this year.
To put things in perspective, given the dreadful record the BIG has had in the tournament lately winning the BIG is not really that much of a prize.
The whole league has to get better.

The forward-thinking ADs in the BIG are already looking at how the additions of USC and UCLA are going to affect their team's chances of not only winning the conference but also making the tournament and what changes have to be made.
USC is said to have a stellar recruit ranking this year.
To put things in perspective, given the dreadful record the BIG has had in the tournament lately winning the BIG is not really that much of a prize.
The whole league has to get better.
Will be interesting to see who adapts to who's style of play, once the two west coast teams are added.

Will be interesting to see who adapts to who's style of play, once the two west coast teams are added.
I don’t know why anyone would adapt to anyone if they’re winning. One thing about Underwood - when he arrived, the Illini used a high-pressure defense that tried to force a lot of turnovers that led to his team giving up a poop-ton of easy baskets, as well as losses. The league is full of teams that concentrate on low turnovers. He changed to be less high-risk and results followed. If it had worked, no need to change. Assuming he’s still around, Cronin is known for hard nosed defense and will fit right in. Enfield is a high tempo guy. He is different and it remains to be seen whether it’ll work in the B1G. However, he hasn’t really elevated USC above a mid-pack team in a crappy conference. Bronny won’t be around long, either.

I

I had no clue the Big Ten Tournament is here next year.
I was hoping to have a competent team this year because I think that would be a fun event to go through but I can't justify spending any money on a weakling Wednesday session.

I

I was hoping to have a competent team this year because I think that would be a fun event to go through but I can't justify spending any money on a weakling Wednesday session.
You won’t need to spend more than $5 on a weakling Wednesday game.

One good thing about Weakling Wednesday is you'll never get better seats. Fans can pretty much sit wherever they want that first day of the tournament. Ushers don't really check tickets much, knowing that it's the only day where it's pretty much an empty building.

One good thing about Weakling Wednesday is you'll never get better seats. Fans can pretty much sit wherever they want that first day of the tournament. Ushers don't really check tickets much, knowing that it's the only day where it's pretty much an empty building.
General admission seating on Weakling Wednesday. United Center was filled in the lower bowl this year. More than I’ve ever seen before.

There are only 3 P6 teams not tied to an exempt event yet. Cincinnati, Cal, and Missouri. Maybe we'll get one of these on the schedule.

There are only 3 P6 teams not tied to an exempt event yet. Cincinnati, Cal, and Missouri. Maybe we'll get one of these on the schedule.
No thank you. We have a B1G schedule. That is plenty. You just want/expect a blow out so you can cry about a diversity hire. Is “diversity hire” code word for something?

No thank you. We have a B1G schedule. That is plenty. You just want/expect a blow out so you can cry about a diversity hire. Is “diversity hire” code word for something?

Lmao. Dude give it up.

It's a shame the MTE couldn't have been the great MN/Cal/Louisville/Georgetown classic of the worst Power 6 teams of 2023.
Minnesota will be only be amongst the worst in the minds of the diversity hire haters.

Top Bottom