2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Interesting comment from TV guys about Utah having an identity, doing what they do, sticking to it, and knowing that it might not always work but staying with it is best for long-term success.

Also noticed that the Utes played some tough defense that is rarely seen out west.

Just saying...
Must be nice....

Interesting comment from TV guys about Utah having an identity, doing what they do, sticking to it, and knowing that it might not always work but staying with it is best for long-term success.

Also noticed that the Utes played some tough defense that is rarely seen out west.

Just saying...
That's what you do when you're coaching Mayville State and South Dakota: figure out just what it is that you do and how to do it. You don't conjure that up on the fly in a meat grinding major conference.

That's what you do when you're coaching Mayville State and South Dakota: figure out just what it is that you do and how to do it. You don't conjure that up on the fly in a meat grinding major conference.
Are you suggesting that one learns the job at a lower level before being handed the keys to a position in a much more demanding environment? Are you living in the Stone Age, man?

I wouldn't call him a point guard anywhere. He does not appear to be handling the bulk of those duties at High Point either. And, yes, he was terrible here according to "objective measures." Player efficiency rating of -1.3 and also a negative Win Shares Per 40 minutes number. To put those in perspective, Gaston Diedhiou's career Player Efficiency Rating here was 4.9 and the Win Shares per 40 number was .053.

What baffled me is that his shooting was even terrible here while he was a good shooter in junior college and has been pretty good at High Point. His True Shooting Percentage was 55.1% in his first year at High Point and a very good 64.6% this season. He was 33.5% in his one season here. Even Ahmad Gilbert was better than that.

Are you sure we're talking about the same player? Given that you said "SEC" you might be confusing him with Cooper. I would never say that Cooper was terrible in his one year here.
I definitely am confusing him with Cooper and stand corrected. I’m either heading to memory care or I completely misread who we were talking about, which I definitely thought was Cooper.

I’ve not gone completely mad. The post I made references to included stats on both Thiam and Cooper.

I definitely am confusing him with Cooper and stand corrected. I’m either heading to memory care or I completely misread who we were talking about, which I definitely thought was Cooper.

Yeah, my original comment was a reply to a poster talking about Thiam having a good game for High Point. I fully understand those moments of mental confusion that you referenced though!

Colorado State 41 Colorado 26 @ halftime on CBS Sports Network

Colorado State 41 Colorado 26 @ halftime on CBS Sports Network
I was skeptical of Nico a few years ago, but the guy is getting it done. I'd put the odds of Gophers coach next year

Medved-120
Johnson +125
Field +1000

Not a huge Muss fan, but always appreciate Puke going down. By my recollection, a true road game at this time of year is pretty rare for dookies.

Muss must be Ray Guy or Shane Lechler sooo out-kicked his coverage!

Combine that with the risk this job could be a career killer, and it becomes another historical “what could have been “ in Minnesota.
I prefer the power of positive thinking. Hiring Tubby raised the profile of the Gopher program and created a good deal of buzz. Similarly, some national media were surprised when Fleck signed on here over other potential opportunities, and that created buzz and legitimacy, too. If the Gophs snag Medved over other suitors, it reflects well on this school and program.

I prefer the power of positive thinking. Hiring Tubby raised the profile of the Gopher program and created a good deal of buzz. Similarly, some national media were surprised when Fleck signed on here over other potential opportunities, and that created buzz and legitimacy, too. If the Gophs snag Medved over other suitors, it reflects well on this school and program.
I’m just too far beyond positive thinking right now. Maybe a barrage of threes tonight will change my disposition.

Potential Medved suitors?

Iowa (get the feeling Fran is ready for something different)
Minnesota
Nebraska (if things go totally haywire for The Mayor after their great start)
Oklahoma State (Boynton likely on his way out)
UCF (Johnny Dawkins is blah)
Vanderbilt (Stackhouse has to be on thin ice)
West Virginia

Potential Medved suitors?

Iowa (get the feeling Fran is ready for something different)
Minnesota
Nebraska (if things go totally haywire for The Mayor after their great start)
Oklahoma State (Boynton likely on his way out)
UCF (Johnny Dawkins is blah)
Vanderbilt (Stackhouse has to be on thin ice)
West Virginia
On that list I think Iowa is our biggest competition. I think Nikos next step is Power 5. I have no idea what his emotional/ family connections are to the Twin Cities, but I think we’re a better place to live than Lincoln or Stillwater, and maybe even Iowa City.

On that list I think Iowa is our biggest competition. I think Nikos next step is Power 5. I have no idea what his emotional/ family connections are to the Twin Cities, but I think we’re a better place to live than Lincoln or Stillwater, and maybe even Iowa City.
A lot depends on financial positioning, but with the caveat that I don't know their situations in that respect, I could see both Oklahoma State and West Virginia looking to make moderate-to-big swings with their next hires. Also, do we think DeVries gets in the mix for any of these jobs (i.e. Iowa)? Also also, where does Dusty May end up - Louisville?

I was skeptical of Nico a few years ago, but the guy is getting it done. I'd put the odds of Gophers coach next year

Medved-120
Johnson +125
Field +1000
Field is way too low there. We don't have some lock on Medved.

Not a huge Muss fan, but always appreciate Puke going down. By my recollection, a true road game at this time of year is pretty rare for dookies.
I'm dumbfounded. According to our coach, games are practically impossible to schedule. How did Arkansas get Duke??

Top Bottom