2023-2024 College Basketball Other Games Thread

should be fun and a test of our guard play being able to move their feet. they look pretty horrible defensively however, giving up 100 to Incarnate Word last time out
Dang, they get in some high scoring games! They get Oklahoma, Gonzaga, Connecticut right in a row coming up.

Woj 7 years at Marquette: 2 NCAA tournament appearances, no NCAA victories, last berth 2018-19
Pitino last 7 years at Minn:- 2 NCAA tournament appearances, 1 NCAA victory, last berth 2018-19

Shaka Smart and Ben Johnson couldn't have taken over more similar programs in terms of recent history. Minneapolis and Milwaukee are even similar.

While we are running away from a tournament featuring San Diego State, Washington, and Xavier, Shaka blows out #1 Kansas in Maui.

I remember Howeda7 being a big Shaka supporter. I think he's earned a place on the next search committee.

Woj 7 years at Marquette: 2 NCAA tournament appearances, no NCAA victories, last berth 2018-19
Pitino last 7 years at Minn:- 2 NCAA tournament appearances, 1 NCAA victory, last berth 2018-19

Shaka Smart and Ben Johnson couldn't have taken over more similar programs in terms of recent history. Minneapolis and Milwaukee are even similar.

While we are running away from a tournament featuring San Diego State, Washington, and Xavier, Shaka blows out #1 Kansas in Maui.

I remember Howeda7 being a big Shaka supporter. I think he's earned a place on the next search committee.
SS didn’t have him on his comparables thread because he was a big fish, but you are correct - Minnesota and Marquette were both swirling in purgatory and the admin went in opposite directions. You get what you pay for.

BIG Games today
Michigan vs Memphis in the Bahamas
Purdue vs Marquette in Hawaii
Nebraska at home against Duquesne
wisconsin vs SMU in Ft Meyers, FL

I would argue that the situations were not as similar as records might indicate. Woj woefully underperformed his talent. He recruited well and his talent underachieved. I don’t hold any illusions that Pitino underachieved his talent. His recruiting was better than the current regime but very inconsistent, too many of his recruits didn’t develop or had discipline problems. The U was deeper into the dumpster than Marquette was. Perhaps the most similar aspect was they both had point guards given the keys who were great players but not good at getting others involved, and in Marquette case cost them players.

I'll do it for free!

I like Shaka a lot. I know the timing probably didn't work as he got fired by Texas about 36 hours before we hired Ben, but they really should have paused the search and made a run at him. Especially if they were being restricted in who they could consider, as many have implied.

Shaka and Marquette soundly beat Kansas.

I was very impressed with Marquette yesterday. What a well-oiled machine. They did not let up once all game on the defensive ended. I was wondering if last year was a flash in the pan with this specific group of players. Sneaking up on the Big East is one thing, but doing it again the next year with high expectations can be really tough for a non-blue blood. It's clear that Shaka has things rolling. They looked like a more athletic version of his VCU teams last night, which should scare the rest of the Big East right now. I never saw that once with his Texas teams.

Colorado State (4-0) on top of Boston College (4-0) 34-24 with about 5 minutes left in the 1st half

Colorado State is a really good team.

Kansas is way overrated. Tons of talent....but they play super sloppy and don't have very good outside shooting.

Colorado State is a really good team.

Kansas is way overrated. Tons of talent....but they play super sloppy and don't have very good outside shooting.
I pay attention to them because of Isaiah Stevens. He's pretty good.

San Francisco takes on Purdue Fort Wayne later tonight. Dons are 3-2 and the Mastodons are 4-0
(Have to confess, no idea what a Mastodon is.)

I'll do it for free!

I like Shaka a lot. I know the timing probably didn't work as he got fired by Texas about 36 hours before we hired Ben, but they really should have paused the search and made a run at him. Especially if they were being restricted in who they could consider, as many have implied.
Checks notes…yep Smart checks “the box”. It’s entirely possible Smart preferred to go back home to WI and coach at Marquette no matter what MN offered. Though not public, it appears Smart’s salary is around $3MM. He voluntarily left TX, so he received no buyout, so I find it hard to believe money wouldn’t talk. Would he have come here at say, $4MM/year? Or do you willingly forego some money to be back in WI at a private institution (which in his position has to be a plus) in the more friendly confines of the Big East? Too bad we didn’t even try and find out. Sigh.

So glad we saved some money and now we have an empty barn as a consequence. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Checks notes…yep Smart checks “the box”. It’s entirely possible Smart preferred to go back home to WI and coach at Marquette no matter what MN offered. Though not public, it appears Smart’s salary is around $3MM. He voluntarily left TX, so he received no buyout, so I find it hard to believe money wouldn’t talk. Would he have come here at say, $4MM/year? Or do you willingly forego some money to be back in WI at a private institution (which in his position has to be a plus) in the more friendly confines of the Big East? Too bad we didn’t even try and find out. Sigh.

So glad we saved some money and now we have an empty barn as a consequence. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Word on the street is getting closer to home was significant for Shaka. Also heard he missed his private plane ride to the St. Paul Airport.

Missouri ends up winning by 23 after a 47-22 second half. They are a strange team to figure, perhaps in a way- like our Gophers, great for a while and then awful then great...

Becky slowly getting back into game against SMU.Deep squad and mix of vets and newbies. Tough disciplined bunch. Bad from 3 but play tough D

Becky gets the W and #1 at Ft Meyers’s classic. Hate them but they do so many things well. Blackburn is going to be really good

BIG Games today
Penn State vs Texas A&M in Florida
Iowa vs Oklahoma in San Diego
MSU vs Arizona in California
Michigan vs Stanford in the Bahamas

The Dons over the Mastodons 76-60
Ryan Beasley, off the bench, leads SF with 20 points. 3 starters in double figures. 18 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks and 15 points for 6’8” 225, Jonathan Mogbo. Wow! Who draws him defensively? What a chore that appears to be.

Top Bottom