2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

No inside information here. Just speculative hope.

It seems like Green will most likely go to Iowa State. In high school it seemed like Iowa State might have been the runner up to UNI. At UNI his dad was an assistant for his first few years. Now his dad is at Iowa State. Those are the obvious dots to connect.

Dark horse Minnesota: His dad has connections to the state. At least part of it is that he played at Hamline with Dave Thorson. Minnesota was the first to offer a scholarship back in high school.

If the kid was looking to get out of Iowa for a year, Minnesota might be the ideal landing spot.
His dad was an 88 Washburn grad. As someone from that generation, it was right when Clem was making it popular to be a Gopher fan. I would have thought Thorson was a little older than Green but maybe they overlapped for a year or two.

Dark Horse is probably an accurate description as it would seem he would want to play for his dad. Minnesota would probably have the fit and a clear path to the minutes he would want to build his resume for his basketball future. I’ve actually never seen him play, but he would seem to be the home run to complete this class. Small chance….but I guess you never know.

No inside information here. Just speculative hope.

It seems like Green will most likely go to Iowa State. In high school it seemed like Iowa State might have been the runner up to UNI. At UNI his dad was an assistant for his first few years. Now his dad is at Iowa State. Those are the obvious dots to connect.

Dark horse Minnesota: His dad has connections to the state. At least part of it is that he played at Hamline with Dave Thorson. Minnesota was the first to offer a scholarship back in high school.

If the kid was looking to get out of Iowa for a year, Minnesota might be the ideal landing spot.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know his dad was an assistant at ISU when I first posted that. I think it would be difficult to turn down ISU under the circumstances. It's not just reuniting with his dad. Committing there would also be a feather in his dad's cap professionally.

Interesting. They have three freshman guards coming in and Ivey headed for the NBA but it might be that he feels his time has passed at Purdue. I'd love to have him. Nice fit.
He knows Nijel Pack will be committing to purdue shortly

He knows Nijel Pack will be committing to purdue shortly
Of course a lot of internet smoke out there right now, but I'm following that one semi-closely and rumors are that Ohio State and Miami are the major frontrunners. Take that with a grain of salt though.

EDIT: He's set to commit at 3:30 tomorrow afternoon.

At this point, I think Ben has done a good job of getting us to a point where he has something to sell for the remaining guard slots. The right guy could certainly put us into the NCAA tournament picture. A combo guard with some quickness that can defend and score might find a nice leadership role here. With that said, I think patience for the right guy to pop up- perhaps Hunter or someone we don't know of yet is worth it. I wouldn't just take a guy for depth at the moment.

At this point, I think Ben has done a good job of getting us to a point where he has something to sell for the remaining guard slots. The right guy could certainly put us into the NCAA tournament picture. A combo guard with some quickness that can defend and score might find a nice leadership role here. With that said, I think patience for the right guy to pop up- perhaps Hunter or someone we don't know of yet is worth it. I wouldn't just take a guy for depth at the moment.
Definitely in a much better position than we were last year. Will be interesting to see how the roster fills out and who else we bring in.

Not really portal related per se but Carr is going back to Texas for another year. Guessing like Tshibewe he is going to get more money from NIL this year at Texas than he would playing in the G League or overseas.

Interesting. They have three freshman guards coming in and Ivey headed for the NBA but it might be that he feels his time has passed at Purdue. I'd love to have him. Nice fit.
According to my Boiler contacts they also have a couple of quality red shirts that will see the floor next year. I’d take Hunter in a heartbeat.

I'm guessing he's looking for a significant increase in his role, may not of had that with us.

Edit: I completely missed the news that Pat Chambers landed at FGCU.

Isaiah Thompson to FGCU. I was never high on him, this makes sense.

Hunter though....I would love to have him, stead as it gets and played his role well at Purdue.

New Gopher PG Ta’Lon Cooper Talks About His Decision – “Coach Johnson and the whole staff, they recruited me the hardest out of any school that recruited me.”​

By Chris Monter

Anyone familiar with the NBA draft exploration process? I'm wondering if Ben might keep one or both of the remaining scholarships for a higher level player who might be testing the waters, like Hunter. I'm wondering when they'd be done and be likely to announce a school, if transferring.

I'm guessing he's looking for a significant increase in his role, may not of had that with us.

Edit: I completely missed the news that Pat Chambers landed at FGCU.

That would be a great place to hoop for a year - fun in the 🌞

Last edited:

I don't see another experienced PG signing with the Gophers, it is going to have to be a CG that can get time at both SG and PG, but they are talking about Tyrese Hunter going to Wisconsin and starting with Hepburn so who knows.

Doogie talks to Garcia and Cooper. When you listen to the interview with Cooper, Cooper talked about knowing Stewart and trying to recruit him to the Gophers as well. Doogie also mentions that Strong has a visit to Nevada this weekend but that the Gophers are interested him after a visit earlier this week.

The Garcia interview starts about 1:12 into the podcast with Cooper’s interview right after.

Doogie talks to Garcia and Cooper. When you listen to the interview with Cooper, Cooper talked about knowing Stewart and trying to recruit him to the Gophers as well. Doogie also mentions that Strong has a visit to Nevada this weekend but that the Gophers are interested him after a visit earlier this week.

The Garcia interview starts about 1:12 into the podcast with Cooper’s interview right after.

I have a hunch that we will be getting a commitment from Stewart this next week. No great inside info, but the relationship with Cooper does not hurt at all.

I have a hunch that we will be getting a commitment from Stewart this next week. No great inside info, but the relationship with Cooper does not hurt at all.
I think it is very possible. I’m not sure how close they are but when Doogie stated you and Stewart would be a nice backcourt, Cooper responded, “that’s what I told him!” It seemed like Doogie felt they had a good chance with Strong.

I’m really excited to see Garcia in maroon and gold. I’m good friends with someone who worked at PLHS who said both Garcia and Jones (the center who transferred to ISU last year) were both great kids in high school.

For me it’s easy to root for Ben Johnson. I know several high school coaches who have coached several players who have played major college basketball at places besides the U. The feedback I’ve received from the ones I’ve talked to is that they really like Ben Johnson too.

Is next year Stewart's 6th year in college?
Edit: It is. Nice senior day speech by Parker.

Last edited:

That would be a gray place to hoop for a year - fun in the 🌞

As fans of a major conference team, I think a lot of us forget about this. Sometimes a player just wants to play major minutes in a great location. When Willis transferred to Charleston, many were a bit confused. Even while limping most of that year for us, you could tell he was a quality major conference player. Charleston is a super fun town. Some decide they want to play the last season or two for a college in a fun location, regardless of stepping down from the power conferences. Now obviously Willis came back here, but you see this more often then you might realize.

If Stewart comes here we would have to have one of the tallest starting 5s in college basketball with a backcourt of 6'4" Cooper and 6'5" Stewart to go along with the front court guys all being 6'7" or taller.

Bye bye rebounding woes!

As fans of a major conference team, I think a lot of us forget about this. Sometimes a player just wants to play major minutes in a great location. When Willis transferred to Charleston, many were a bit confused. Even while limping most of that year for us, you could tell he was a quality major conference player. Charleston is a super fun town. Some decide they want to play the last season or two for a college in a fun location, regardless of stepping down from the power conferences. Now obviously Willis came back here, but you see this more often then you might realize.
Just curious why you say Charleston is a super fun town?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">High Point 6-foot junior guard John-Michael Wright told <a href="https://twitter.com/Stadium?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Stadium</a> he will transfer. <br><br>Averaged 18.4 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game this past season.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) <a href="">April 24, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom