2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I'm not optimistic anymore. Hope he's in the portal tomorrow though
I'm wondering if NIL is impacting his decision. Make more on the bench at UNC than he could ever make being a star at Minnesota.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">High Point 6-foot junior guard John-Michael Wright told <a href="https://twitter.com/Stadium?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Stadium</a> he will transfer. <br><br>Averaged 18.4 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game this past season.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) <a href="">April 24, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Accomplished player but it looks like we just got our presumptive starting guard. This guy is pretty high usage. We have a number of mouths to feed already next season.

Accomplished player but it looks like we just got our presumptive starting guard. This guy is pretty high usage. We have a number of mouths to feed already next season.

Haven't seen him play, but guessing he and Cooper could play together. If he's a good defender then I'd definitely take him based on his other numbers.

I'm wondering if NIL is impacting his decision. Make more on the bench at UNC than he could ever make being a star at Minnesota.
Could be. Seems like an ego thing, that he needs to prove he belongs at unc. Obviously Davis would like him there, he's the best 11th man in the country. Feel like he's getting false promises that he's close to cracking the rotation when he probably isn't. Come to Minnesota where you can get meaningful minutes and we can make the tourney

Wonder if he’s thinking, “Not gonna quit just because things got tough and aren’t going well right now.”. Maybe his thought process is, “ I’m gonna spend the summer working my tail off, get better at the things coach mentioned as things I need to do to earn playing time. I’m gonna bust my ass and COMPETE, and show them that I AM good enough to play for a team that’s probably going to the tournament again”.

Maybe he feels that going into the transfer portal would be like quitting and running home with his tail between his legs. Obviously, I don’t know the kid or what exactly is going through his mind. However, if he’s thinking “I’m sticking with this through good times and bad and I WILL reach the goal I set for myself when I came out here!”, I kinda laud him as the type of guy and player I’d want on my team. Guys with that attitude are winners.

And of course, maybe he just likes being away from home and enjoys college life in North Carolina. I know that it's not good for we Gopher fans, but if he's convinced that's what he wants, then I'm fine with whatever he decides to do.

Wonder if he’s thinking, “Not gonna quit just because things got tough and aren’t going well right now.”. Maybe his thought process is, “ I’m gonna spend the summer working my tail off, get better at the things coach mentioned as things I need to do to earn playing time. I’m gonna bust my ass and COMPETE, and show them that I AM good enough to play for a team that’s probably going to the tournament again”.

Maybe he feels that going into the transfer portal would be like quitting and running home with his tail between his legs. Obviously, I don’t know the kid or what exactly is going through his mind. However, if he’s thinking “I’m sticking with this through good times and bad and I WILL reach the goal I set for myself when I came out here!”, I kinda laud him as the type of guy and player I’d want on my team. Guys with that attitude are winners.

And of course, maybe he just likes being away from home and enjoys college life in North Carolina. I know that it's not good for we Gopher fans, but if he's convinced that's what he wants, then I'm fine with whatever he decides to do.
If the top of your post is really what he's thinking, I tip my hat to him wanting to tough it out and prove himself rather than quitting. It is a decision in prudence, of course, but my take is that too many in his generation step away too quickly. I still would like to see an outstanding shooter in the Gophers rotation, though.

Just a note, sounds like the May 1st deadline is kind of a paper tiger.

We need a guard who can score. Right now we don't have one.
Adding an inefficient high usage guy at the the two doesn't make a ton of sense though either. Adding another guard who can help space and defend seem like the number one priority over being a "scorer". Offensively Dawson and Battle will lead the charge scoring.

Adding an inefficient high usage guy at the the two doesn't make a ton of sense though either. Adding another guard who can help space and defend seem like the number one priority over being a "scorer". Offensively Dawson and Battle will lead the charge scoring.

You need more than 2 players who can score at a high level if you’re going to be a good team. And that’s without considering injuries.

You need more than 2 players who can score at a high level if you’re going to be a good team. And that’s without considering injuries.
Think it depends on what you define as scoring at a high level. Realistically we need a guy who can hit some 3s and average around 10 pts a game. Shouldn't be all that tough to find a player like that.

Clearly you've never been to Charleston...
I have... that is why I am asking. It didn't seem exceptional to me. I would compare its nightlife to any other city. I had just flown from NO so maybe that was such as downgrade that I was left unimpressed?

Yeah I'm not saying I wouldn't take them if one presented itself and it would allow us to move into a top 6 B1G position if we did imo. I'm saying it isn't required to be a tournament team though imo.

I have... that is why I am asking. It didn't seem exceptional to me. I would compare its nightlife to any other city. I had just flown from NO so maybe that was such as downgrade that I was left unimpressed?
Nice beaches though.

Yeah I'm not saying I wouldn't take them if one presented itself and it would allow us to move into a top 6 B1G position if we did imo. I'm saying it isn't required to be a tournament team though imo.

As the team is currently constructed, I would say it is. But there's time to change that yet.

Tournament? Tournament?

MNVCGUY says no tourney talk until the culture is firmly established, perhaps by the 4th year.

As the team is currently constructed, I would say it is. But there's time to change that yet.
Yeah I would like to see one more wing added to make me confident that they will at minimum be a bubble team. That wing needs to be able to defend the other teams best wing scorer imo more than being able to score. That defender type would really only need to be a decent enough shooter to keep teams honest. (Above 30% shooter). Now of course if you added another wing that can do that and add 12 ppg, then you are looking at a top 8 team in the B1G at minimum. Problem is those wings aren't very accessible and are being snagged up elsewhere by blue bloods.

Yeah I would like to see one more wing added to make me confident that they will at minimum be a bubble team. That wing needs to be able to defend the other teams best wing scorer imo more than being able to score. That defender type would really only need to be a decent enough shooter to keep teams honest. (Above 30% shooter). Now of course if you added another wing that can do that and add 12 ppg, then you are looking at a top 8 team in the B1G at minimum. Problem is those wings aren't very accessible and are being snagged up elsewhere by blue bloods.
BUT, we are all forgetting we do have 3 wildcard "guards" in incoming freshmen.

My guess is that Ben is waiting on Walton. Garcia at minimum would be communicating with him.
The next guy depends on his decision because if we take this guy and get Walton we can't
take the shooter...but if Walton isn't coming then...scenarios like that, so we do nothing, waiting.

We took Cooper because he filled a need. Gets murky now OR nobody will say yes to us? Don't think that's it.

BUT, we are all forgetting we do have 3 wildcard "guards" in incoming freshmen.

My guess is that Ben is waiting on Walton. Garcia at minimum would be communicating with him.
The next guy depends on his decision because if we take this guy and get Walton we can't
take the shooter...but if Walton isn't coming then...scenarios like that, so we do nothing, waiting.

We took Cooper because he filled a need. Gets murky now OR nobody will say yes to us? Don't think that's it.
You might be onto something with Ben waiting on Walton. Surely somewhere on here knows Walton pretty well and can give us some insight? Go Gophers!

You might be onto something with Ben waiting on Walton. Surely somewhere on here knows Walton pretty well and can give us some insight? Go Gophers!
I think he may be waiting on Walton as well. And my memory tells me that Walton had a hard time making his initial decision to go to NC. He may be someone who struggles with that big a decision, and that doesn't make him a bad guy. It does make the process more difficult for Johnson, especially if he has any other wing candidates that are waiting for his decision.

Top Bottom