2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Legend indeed! I truly believe the dalliance with the Texas A&M trio really set the program back a few steps last year. Add McNeilly to the Mount Crushmore of Gopher hoops with Ganglehoff for writing papers, Russ Archambault for fighting Khalid El-Amin, and a pantheon of others.
Not sure he deserves a spot on the mountain but I do agree that the whole thing with the Coach and players from Texas A&M might have had a negative impact on transfer recruiting last off season.

Not sure he deserves a spot on the mountain but I do agree that the whole thing with the Coach and players from Texas A&M might have had a negative impact on transfer recruiting last off season.
I single the younger McNeilly out but it was really the result of Coach Jamie McNeilly's situation that resulted in Ben not recruiting the portal as hard as needed for bigs as he thought we had Miller locked up in the deal. After this fell through, Ben not only had to turn back to hiring a 3rd assistant but also reestablish relationships with possible transfers in the portal.

man i forgot about that debacle last off season.....what if!

Wonder if Loyola Chicago would have the inside track on Spencer? From the same Jesuit type of school in Maryland. From a Catholic high school. Paging @Holy Man
Perhaps an inside track for the Ramblers is in order from an earthly perspective. From a divine perspective, it's hard to believe anyone who had both an offer from the Ramblers and the Gophers would choose the Ramblers. Simply doesn't make sense.;)

Perhaps an inside track for the Ramblers is in order from an earthly perspective. From a divine perspective, it's hard to believe anyone who had both an offer from the Ramblers and the Gophers would choose the Ramblers. Simply doesn't make sense.;)
JOJ chose Minnesota>Loyola Chicago

D***! Thanks for the update on Quinn!

To answer BGA1...I'm really not sure. Walton? Henley? Carrington? Someone else? A Point Forward? I don't know but there are teams out there without a 'true' point guard. I think a roster of what we've got, what we have coming in, what we have coming back from injury, and these four would make for a very interesting/versatile/talented team and I would love to see them play

I would say "someone else." There have been at least 3 or 4 possible point guards mentioned here recently as people who are being recruited by the coaching staff.

I haven't kept up on the transfer portal rules. Players get to take 5 official visits... how many official visits can a team offer?

We could definitely use Thompson and we need guards. He's been a key rotation player on some very good Purdue teams, has had solid showings in some NCAA Tournament games, and carries Big Ten experience and a dependable 3-pt shot. Not many guys would be starting over Jaden Ivey either. I'd take him as a steadying veteran presence who has a track record of staying healthy and can give us 22-25 dependable minutes every game.

That being said, where do we stand with Sam Sessoms? He'd clearly be my option 1 as far as PG/CG transfers go. Is there a visit set up there?

Have we considered reaching out to Meechie Johnson from Ohio State? 3 years of eligibility left; has had his last couple of years derailed by injuries, covid, early enrollment. Lots of untapped potential still there, he has a nice looking perimeter jump shot and can bail a team out in late shot clock situations. He's said to be a fantastic locker room guy, and could be a 3 year starter here.

I guess Nick Honor doesn't quite move the needle for me but would happily take him as a 6th-7th man type.

Look at Willis. I mentioned it in an earlier post. Turns out players don't just progress in a straight line. After a promising freshman season at Vanderbilt, he regressed but then progressed.

Vandy - 44%
Vandy - 35%
Redshirt
Gophers - 38%
CoC - 46%
Gophers - 47%

Walton didn't just forget how to shoot. If he comes here let's hope Ben can utilize him well and put him in a position to succeed.

Great post - life is rarely an A to B journey based on 55 years of living it

Sheesh, moving on to his 4th school and he hasn't played more than 1 season at any of his previous 3 programs. I'd still take him though 😂

He was irritating to play against, so in that sense he would be a good add IMO. Tough kid, shot 39% from 3. Solid add IMO.

On transfers - here is my perspective.

when you judge a transfer - or a new HS recruit for that matter -

the question is not whether he or she is better than the best player on your roster.

the question is whether he or she is better than the worst player on your roster.

if you bring in a new player, and that player is better than the worst player on your roster, then you have improved the roster.

it's one thing to dream about bringing in a "superstar" player. But, in the real world, the goal is to improve your roster. and as long as the new player you bring in is better than the worst player currently on your roster, you have improved the roster.

Sheesh, moving on to his 4th school and he hasn't played more than 1 season at any of his previous 3 programs. I'd still take him though 😂
When the music stops you gotta find a chair to sit. 😐

the question is not whether he or she is better than the best player on your roster.

the question is whether he or she is better than the worst player on your roster.

if you bring in a new player, and that player is better than the worst player on your roster, then you have improved the roster.

it's one thing to dream about bringing in a "superstar" player. But, in the real world, the goal is to improve your roster. and as long as the new player you bring in is better than the worst player currently on your roster, you have improved the roster.
You are wise beyond your years, son! Step by step... leap by leap.... eventually these improvements lead to wins and success!

Last edited:

Apparently he’s been through quite a lot. Went to UT-Martin to play for his dad and he sadly passed away. Hopefully a place like the U can give him some stability and support

That fully depends on whether or not you are eliminating the worst player or not. Should we be recruiting a slightly better player than Daniel Ogele or Charlie Daniels? I think not.

Top Bottom