2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Lamar cardinals have a PG in the portal.
Are you a lonely man?
You know one without a plan?
One who just likes to sit on his can?
While worshipping KFAN?

Whose real name is Stan?
Who married a gal named Pam?
With a kiddo named Dan?
Who still pines for Denard Span?

One who doesn't tan?
Because you ran?
And really is on the lam?
And now lives in Japan?

Last edited:

Well, it seems a lot of guys are seriously in play to become Gophers if this many guys are visiting.
More than 10 guys either have visited or have scheduled visits coming up, right? I think we are going to land a nice group.
Dawson Garcia
Parker Stewart
Isaiah Thompson
Nick Honor
Cam Spencer
Josiah Strong
Ta'Lon Cooper
Hunter Mc Intosh
Walton speculation
who else is a serious possibility?
Sorry if this is a stupid question but do we know if any of these guys have been offered or is that a given if they are visiting?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do we know if any of these guys have been offered or is that a given if they are visiting?
Pretty sure that with transfers most of the available information is contingent on what players put out on social media and isn't really tracked super close by places like 247 at this point. They do their transfer portal but that doesn't track offers or visits.

They do put in a crystal ball transfer prediction sometimes. Overall though I think the transfer portal process moves pretty quick so not really worth their time to get overly detailed on offers and visits. At least from what I have seen to this point.

Can't remember if this has been posted, so I apologize if it's a duplicate. Mentions injury as a factor (but not the only factor) that led to Walton's reduced PT.
I don't recall seeing this one yet.....good stuff. Garcia coming here for next year would be massive and while I know some are not overly thrilled about the prospect of Walton coming as well I would love to see it happen.

I don't recall seeing this one yet.....good stuff. Garcia coming here for next year would be massive and while I know some are not overly thrilled about the prospect of Walton coming as well I would love to see it happen.
Garcia would be a great get of BJ. And a great start to the transfer class. We really arent "in" on any other bigs and the roster make up makes sense that we arent going after any more bigs. Although a true stud 5 man would do this team wonders

Garcia as the big.

for the wing spot.
-Walton (if he enters. for me he would be a great addition and he would play a big role for us next year. multiple year guy)
-Jones (i am a little surprised we havent heard more on him as i think he would be a great addition, plus he is a multiple year guy)
-Spencer (became Loyola's go to scorer this year. and watching his highlights he has some of the best pump fakes i have ever seen 😆. His shooting percentage went down this year for him as he looks to have been basically there only offence so im sure thats part of the reason as sounds like he did have to force his shot. again a multiple year guy that i think can be a sharpshooter for a team where he isnt the primary scorer)
-Stewart (been around the block in his college career. Starter for Indiana. was an effective shooter for them. Not a big time scorer and would have a similar role here)
-any one else i am missing there?

PG-was hoping we would be in on some bigger fish
-Nick Honor-i think he would be a very solid add. Wouldnt be counted on as a big time scorer but a guy that can come in and control the game
-Isiah Thompson-Im pretty meh on this one. But he has been a solid big ten player.
josiah Strong-would be a great addidtion as a scoring punch off the bench. More of a combo guard but if you can get him to buy into the idea of coming in and being the 1st ball handler off the bench while also battling for minutes at the other guard spot

People can really overthink things. Kerwin Walton would be a massive pick up. He may have struggled in a limited minutes but he would get plenty of minutes and shoot the lights out for Ben’s team.
If I’m being honest I struggle with this because I feel like many on the board get to caught up in the one of us mentality. During the Monson era we had squads full of Minnesota kids and weren’t successful. I think the level of talent in Minnesota will fluctuate. We had a solid run over a 3-5 year period but that isn’t a guarantee going forward. I can see that in the 23 & 24 classes. You also can see it with the way all the Minnesota team performed their first week on the national AAU scene. There isn’t as much elite talent over the next couple of seasons

Garcia would be a great get of BJ. And a great start to the transfer class. We really arent "in" on any other bigs and the roster make up makes sense that we arent going after any more bigs. Although a true stud 5 man would do this team wonders

Garcia as the big.

for the wing spot.
-Walton (if he enters. for me he would be a great addition and he would play a big role for us next year. multiple year guy)
-Jones (i am a little surprised we havent heard more on him as i think he would be a great addition, plus he is a multiple year guy)
-Spencer (became Loyola's go to scorer this year. and watching his highlights he has some of the best pump fakes i have ever seen 😆. His shooting percentage went down this year for him as he looks to have been basically there only offence so im sure thats part of the reason as sounds like he did have to force his shot. again a multiple year guy that i think can be a sharpshooter for a team where he isnt the primary scorer)
-Stewart (been around the block in his college career. Starter for Indiana. was an effective shooter for them. Not a big time scorer and would have a similar role here)
-any one else i am missing there?

PG-was hoping we would be in on some bigger fish
-Nick Honor-i think he would be a very solid add. Wouldnt be counted on as a big time scorer but a guy that can come in and control the game
-Isiah Thompson-Im pretty meh on this one. But he has been a solid big ten player.
josiah Strong-would be a great addidtion as a scoring punch off the bench. More of a combo guard but if you can get him to buy into the idea of coming in and being the 1st ball handler off the bench while also battling for minutes at the other guard spot
Good list here and breakdown. Agreed on Garcia.

Only other 2 I'd add to the list are the Elon Guard and the Morehead St. kid. Both visiting. Sessoms still has us in Top 5 but losing faith there.

Wonder if there aren't others that just don't get leaked.

Good list here and breakdown. Agreed on Garcia.

Only other 2 I'd add to the list are the Elon Guard and the Morehead St. kid. Both visiting. Sessoms still has us in Top 5 but losing faith there.

Wonder if there aren't others that just don't get leaked.
I am sure there are others we are after that we aren't hearing about.

People can really overthink things. Kerwin Walton would be a massive pick up. He may have struggled in a limited minutes but he would get plenty of minutes and shoot the lights out for Ben’s team.

Sometimes a change of scenery is required for a reset

I'm not real enthused about the PG/CG list we have. I will say last year I thought Willis would be a disaster and that worked so hopefully one of these guys work out but yah not the top tier of talent I was hoping for

I'm not real enthused about the PG/CG list we have. I will say last year I thought Willis would be a disaster and that worked so hopefully one of these guys work out but yah not the top tier of talent I was hoping for

I would take pretty much any of the guards we took as transfers last season over the list of guards who are currently scheduled to visit.

With Davis, college basketballs #22 scorer of all time, in the portal I did some research on the top 25. Two interesting tidbits.

If Pete Maravich (1st all time in points) played as many college games as Doug McDermott (6th all time) he'd have scored 6409 points. Doug scored 3150. And he had a 3pt line.

Of the top 25 scorers in NCAA history—4 have played under 100 games. All 4 are hall of famers. No one else in the top 25 is in the hall of fame.

Why would top tier transfers come here?

If I’m being honest I struggle with this because I feel like many on the board get to caught up in the one of us mentality. During the Monson era we had squads full of Minnesota kids and weren’t successful. I think the level of talent in Minnesota will fluctuate. We had a solid run over a 3-5 year period but that isn’t a guarantee going forward. I can see that in the 23 & 24 classes. You also can see it with the way all the Minnesota team performed their first week on the national AAU scene. There isn’t as much elite talent over the next couple of seasons

Minnesota ranked #17.

Because a coach convinces them to.
Little more to it than that. You have to get the kid to listen first. That is the part we don’t get with most high end transfers at this time. Most of the high end guys have a list and focus on those only. Most have back channeled and seen if there was interest.

I also think it’s really hard to say we know that Willis, Loewe, or Stephens are better than Strong, Spencer, and Stewart for example. Michael Jones is for sure better than Loewe (and I liked Luke a lot). Just hard to tell. No one thought Willis would do as well as he did by looking at his previous stats for example.

This staff doesn’t rely on MN only guys thankfully. They utilize the connection, but they branch out. We’ve honestly had a 10 year run with a lot of high major talent, but that does seem like it’s going to cool off for a couple years.

Little more to it than that. You have to get the kid to listen first. That is the part we don’t get with most high end transfers at this time. Most of the high end guys have a list and focus on those only. Most have back channeled and seen if there was interest.

I also think it’s really hard to say we know that Willis, Loewe, or Stephens are better than Strong, Spencer, and Stewart for example. Michael Jones is for sure better than Loewe (and I liked Luke a lot). Just hard to tell. No one thought Willis would do as well as he did by looking at his previous stats for example.

I agree on Jones and Spencer, but unless I missed it, I haven't seen either officially schedule a visit yet.

This staff doesn’t rely on MN only guys thankfully. They utilize the connection, but they branch out. We’ve honestly had a 10 year run with a lot of high major talent, but that does seem like it’s going to cool off for a couple years.
There will still be talent here but not on the level as years past

I would take pretty much any of the guards we took as transfers last season over the list of guards who are currently scheduled to visit.
So starters on low to mid major teams are better than key bench players on top B1G teams? I don't think you were that high on the transfer guards last year until they walked in the door and started to perform. Let's let the ink dry on the yet unknown player's transfer paperwork before we judge.

Well, it seems a lot of guys are seriously in play to become Gophers if this many guys are visiting.
More than 10 guys either have visited or have scheduled visits coming up, right? I think we are going to land a nice group.
Dawson Garcia
Parker Stewart
Isaiah Thompson
Nick Honor
Cam Spencer
Josiah Strong
Ta'Lon Cooper
Hunter Mc Intosh
Walton speculation
who else is a serious possibility?
Seems like this is the pecking order at each spot

PG 1) McIntosh 2) Honor 3) Thompson
Combo Guard 1) Spencer 2) Strong 3) Cooper
Wing 10 Stewart 2) Spencer could fill this spot as well 3) Kerwin if he enters the portal
Big 1) Garcia.

Seems like Garcia is all, but in the fold, Stewart visiting this weekend, seems like the wing spot is his to lose. Not sure if Honor already visited, but we are in his top three. Spencer wants to visit, not sure if he has already or will. McIntosh with a visit date ahead of Thompson makes me thing the lead guard spot is his to lose. Not sure if Strong has visited yet. McIntosh and Spencer I believe were both Academic All Conference, so on top of being really good players on their team, obviously guys you want in your culture if you're going to take a multi year player.

So starters on low to mid major teams are better than key bench players on top B1G teams? I don't think you were that high on the transfer guards last year until they walked in the door and started to perform. Let's let the ink dry on the yet unknown player's transfer paperwork before we judge.
But it is so much more fun to just assume the worst :)

Top Bottom