2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Well, that didn't take long, did it?

The only silver lining in this information is that it's at least giving us an idea of our parameters so we don't waste too much time chasing after people who aren't likely to accept our offers. I still think we should offer and do a little persuasion but don't spend too much time and go after numerous others. To get one big man who is at least decent, we're probably going to have to throw out at least 10 or 12 offers.
I mean it is always key in recruiting (high school or transfers) to focus efforts on realistic recruits and not waste a ton of time on guys that are highly unlikely to come here.

But I disagree with eker's premice that the only transfers we have a real shot with are guys with ties to the area. The local connection obviously helps a lot but we are still a Big Ten school which is going to be very appealing to a lot of players even if they don't have ties to the area.

I mean it is always key in recruiting (high school or transfers) to focus efforts on realistic recruits and not waste a ton of time on guys that are highly unlikely to come here.

But I disagree with eker's premice that the only transfers we have a real shot with are guys with ties to the area. The local connection obviously helps a lot but we are still a Big Ten school which is going to be very appealing to a lot of players even if they don't have ties to the area.

I agree with your last paragraph. After all, we've had a lot of guys, including transfers, come here without local ties but having some proximity to a recruit's home base does help with probably most players. Perhaps we wouldn't have much of a disadvantage with foreign players because they would have a long trip home regardless of where they go to school in the USA.

Recruiting transfers seems to be more competitive than recruiting freshmen. There are a lot of guys who P6 programs may not have recruited coming out of high school but will swim to them like a school of piranhas when they are transfers who have established solid records at mid-major D1 schools.

The reality is unless a player has ties here (Dawson Garcia) we are unlikely to be a very attractive spot. I saw that Texas Tech, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Wichita State, and many others have already reached out within 24 hours.

He's probably out of our league. Like you said, lots of demand but very little supply.
CBJ job to make it attractive.

I agree with your last paragraph. After all, we've had a lot of guys, including transfers, come here without local ties but having some proximity to a recruit's home base does help with probably most players. Perhaps we wouldn't have much of a disadvantage with foreign players because they would have a long trip home regardless of where they go to school in the USA.

Recruiting transfers seems to be more competitive than recruiting freshmen. There are a lot of guys who P6 programs may not have recruited coming out of high school but will swim to them like a school of piranhas when they are transfers who have established solid records at mid-major D1 schools.
Makes total sense that the transfer market is far more competitive because you are dealing with far more proven commodities in a lot of cases.

CBJ job to make it attractive.

You're right and if he doesn't make the program sufficiently attractive to enough good players he will lose his job eventually. There's a reason why they pay so much money to coaches at this level: it's a tough job, most people won't be able to do it well enough, and most won't last that long.

We do have to show a little patience though. For a program in our current condition, it may take a coach three or four years to build enough of a case to attract a sufficient number of good players to give this program a chance to perform at a much higher level. If he's not doing that by year 4, his days probably are numbered.

Makes total sense that the transfer market is far more competitive because you are dealing with far more proven commodities in a lot of cases.

Absolutely! We saw that with Pitino in that he had a much higher flop rate with prep recruits than with transfers. His only total flop as a transfer recruit was Stull and he was around for only one year.

You're right and if he doesn't make the program sufficiently attractive to enough good players he will lose his job eventually. There's a reason why they pay so much money to coaches at this level: it's a tough job, most people won't be able to do it well enough, and most won't last that long.

We do have to show a little patience though. For a program in our current condition, it may take a coach three or four years to build enough of a case to attract a sufficient number of good players to give this program a chance to perform at a much higher level. If he's not doing that by year 4, his days probably are numbered.
Disagree.

There are many examples of new coaches turning programs around year 1 or 2. As I have said, if the team loses a bunch next year, CBJ job is going to be really difficult. This upcoming season is going to be very, very important to his future and that starts with getting impact players from the portal and the HS ranks on this team asap.

And far more proven commodities = more opportunities for impact players for a program such as MN.

Disagree.

There are many examples of new coaches turning programs around year 1 or 2.

Sure, but there are probably more who haven't done that including Scott Drew who started his Baylor tenure with four straight losing seasons. Unless his first three years are really poor I think he's here for four years anyway.

Sorry to be unclear -- I am talking about coveted players. If we go head to head with other B10 schools or tournament level teams I don't like our chances.

Playing time is an angle. Unfortunately most places can offer that, even if it is a lie/dishonest.

Last year we were able to get Willis because of his previous experience here and Curry. Battle obviously with the MN connection. Jason Kemp was hired and that helped with Luke Loewe. Sutherlin with the MN connection. Stephens -- not sure if there was anything other than playing time.

So coaching connections and geography matter a ton to a program like ours right now that doesn't have on court success or a big name coach to draw talent.

Last edited:

While it doesn't hurt to start at least inquiring with players in the portal, there will be a ton more players available once the tournament is over. If Walton and Garcia are real possibilities, there a take, no question in my mind. This would directly impact what other types of players we are going to be looking for.....although I also understand we are in no position to turn down talent.

Sorry to be unclear -- I am talking about coveted players. If we go head to head with other B10 schools or tournament level teams I don't like our chances.

Playing time is an angle. Unfortunately most places can offer that, even if it is a lie/dishonest.

Last year we were able to get Willis because of his previous experience here and Curry. Battle obviously with the MN connection. Jason Kemp was hired and that helped with Luke Loewe. Sutherlin with the MN connection. Stephens -- not sure if there was anything other than playing time.

So coaching connections and geography matter a ton to a program like ours right now that doesn't have on court success or a big name coach to draw talent.
Loewe was committed before Kemp was hired. Loewe mentioned this in some interview. Their respective moves were unrelated.

Loewe was committed before Kemp was hired. Loewe mentioned this in some interview. Their respective moves were unrelated.
Thanks for the correction, I thought I remembered Kemp vouching for him.

While it doesn't hurt to start at least inquiring with players in the portal, there will be a ton more players available once the tournament is over. If Walton and Garcia are real possibilities, there a take, no question in my mind. This would directly impact what other types of players we are going to be looking for.....although I also understand we are in no position to turn down talent.

Fine, but don't hold your breath and waiting for those players to decide what they're going to do would be crazy. That's how you end up with Danny Ogele. Those players had opportunities to come here and didn't want to do that. I'm also not sure that Garcia wouldn't have to sit out a year. We have a new coach (which may or may not help) but we just finished tied for last in the conference.

And far more proven commodities = more opportunities for impact players for a program such as MN.

Yes, but recruiting the good transfers is very competitive. Did you see the offers that freshman from Ball State got in a matter of days?

Yes, but recruiting the good transfers is very competitive. Did you see the offers that freshman from Ball State got in a matter of days?
There are no “buts” here.

Either get the impact players or you can’t.

Yeah, I heard the former coach was Mo Williams. I believe that's the same Mo Williams who was a pretty decent NBA player. He's got a new job at Jackson State though.
That’s home for him and yes it is the NBA player. Would not be surprised to see a chunk of transfers follow him to Jackson State.

Walton with 2 points today in NC's 95 point output. He's buried there, for whatever reason. One has to believe he is headed for the portal.

Walton with 2 points today in NC's 95 point output. He's buried there, for whatever reason. One has to believe he is headed for the portal.
Last year after 8 games, he averaged about 25 minutes a game. This year after 8 games, he never played a total of 20 minutes in any game. His last 6 games of this year, averaging a little over 4 minutes approximately. Started 20 of 29 last year. This year, one start. Have to concur, he probably is going to get out of there.

Is he buried or is his performance not great? No idea just wondering.

Is he buried or is his performance not great? No idea just wondering.
At this point it is both but the question is can somebody unlock elite production out of him. It seems like the ability to perform at a much higher level was in him in high school. Can be as simple as: Change your attitude, change your life.

or both? Something about what he is doing is not fitting. Defense?
UNC message boards seem pretty perplexed on him, that he just seems super off. It could be fit with coaching staff, some have speculated injury, but those are the unknowns.

The things we do know is that Hubert Davis has tightened up his bench and Kerwin's biggest skill isn't as valuable to UNC because their guards (Davis & Love) have turned into good shooters and they added Brady Manek (a big who can shoot). So I think with Kerwin's defense and the addition/development of other shooters, Kerwin's minutes might just be crunched.

He would a good backup PG… quick and tough… shoots the three respectably. Can run an offense and I think he broke his nose twice taking charges.. 🤷🏾‍♂️
I wouldn't mind him at all.

So if you had to pick, Dodd or Larsen, who do you add?

I know it's a bit apples to oranges here because Dodd is a FR and Larsen is a SR. But if you had 1 scholarship remaining and you had to pick between these two, who ya got?

Top Bottom