2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

UNC message boards seem pretty perplexed on him, that he just seems super off. It could be fit with coaching staff, some have speculated injury, but those are the unknowns.

The things we do know is that Hubert Davis has tightened up his bench and Kerwin's biggest skill isn't as valuable to UNC because their guards (Davis & Love) have turned into good shooters and they added Brady Manek (a big who can shoot). So I think with Kerwin's defense and the addition/development of other shooters, Kerwin's minutes might just be crunched.
Has Kerwin not been a good defender for UNC? I haven't watched him play, but I think he had a good reputation as a defender coming out of high school?

Has Kerwin not been a good defender for UNC? I haven't watched him play, but I think he had a good reputation as a defender coming out of high school?
I've only seen him play a couple of times at UNC but that has been what I've read on their message boards.

I thought he had that reputation too.

Larson mainly because it’s immediate help for next year. Dodd is not ready for big 10 point guard minutes next year. iMO
I agree. Dodd would get eaten alive as a freshman in the B1G. He has some good intangibles, but enough weaknesses that he'll have to fix before he can significantly contribute.

He would a good backup PG… quick and tough… shoots the three respectably. Can run an offense and I think he broke his nose twice taking charges.. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Hmm.. St. Thomas maybe? Although they have former Eden Prairie and Liberty transfer Drake Dobbs

I'm not so sure about a player like Larson. He is only 6'1". Loewe is 6'4" and averaged almost twice as many ppg agaisnt similar competition. Larson probably a better shooter though. EJ Stephens put up 16.4 ppg at Layfatte while being 6'3". If Larson wasn't from Minnesota we wouldn't be talking about him.

I've only seen him play a couple of times at UNC but that has been what I've read on their message boards.

I thought he had that reputation too.
I obviously have no insight into Walton's specific situation, but I've seen plenty of players who were good defenders when they were more physically talented that much of their competition and the only thing they had to worry about was "Staying in front of my guy and keep him from scoring".

Again, not saying this is the case, but it could also be that he is having issues with team defensive concepts. A different coach this year may mean different types of rotations, responsibilities, ect as part of a 5-man defensive unit, as opposed to individual man-up defense. It takes some players longer than others to understand certain concepts and pick them up. Sometimes, they click and sometimes they don't. Some styles are more advantageous for one player and less so for another.

I've seen so many players that had trouble guarding 1-on-1, but were awesome as part of a coordinated team defensive concept. Seems like those guys tend to take a lot of charges in front of the basket. I've also seen plenty who were great 1-on-1 defenders, who if a teammate got beat, were absolutely terrible at making the correct rotation to cover.

That might be an explanation for his supposed defensive struggles.

Walton's senior year I watched Hopkins 5 games, all at home. Seemed like he always coasted until the last 5-6 minutes and would turn it on in a close game on both ends of the floor. Small sample size, but something I noticed. I thought his defense was pretty eliete and his shot was really good. Sounds like he shot even better in aau

Sounds like every one does. There will be a long line for him
Hes got the biggest schools in the country after him, don't bother even calling him.

This was a weird story to me. Great last year, didn't play much at all this year. The shooting is legit
*edit, sounds like he may have been in a little trouble for some personal issues

Hes got the biggest schools in the country after him, don't bother even calling him.
Yeah and some of those schools could be telling him he's going to be the first big off the bench. Definitely call him, leave a good impression and plant that seed. Never know who he knows, we could be throwing an offer at his cousin or brother in 3 years. He tells that relative, don't go to Minnesota, they were the only team who didn't call me when I was in the portal. Parker Fox had 50 offers including Ohio State, glad we called him

This was a weird story to me. Great last year, didn't play much at all this year. The shooting is legit
*edit, sounds like he may have been in a little trouble for some personal issues
Very good player. I believe freshman of the year last year… sadly there are mental health issues that have lead to disciplinary issues… sad deal.. hope he puts things together

He’s been ok/slightly above average. Lack of engagement has hurt him on that end I think

Yeah and some of those schools could be telling him he's going to be the first big off the bench. Definitely call him, leave a good impression and plant that seed. Never know who he knows, we could be throwing an offer at his cousin or brother in 3 years. He tells that relative, don't go to Minnesota, they were the only team who didn't call me when I was in the portal. Parker Fox had 50 offers including Ohio State, glad we called him
Fox is from MN and outside of Ohio St I don't think he had real top level teams after him. Aimaq has the likes of Gonzaga Kentucky Texas etc after him. He's not coming here, spend your time on realistic targets.

Fox is from MN and outside of Ohio St I don't think he had real top level teams after him. Aimaq has the likes of Gonzaga Kentucky Texas etc after him. He's not coming here, spend your time on realistic targets.
The settle for less mentality will land us the likes of players who average 3.4 points at Stephen F. Austin

The settle for less mentality will land us the likes of players who average 3.4 points at Stephen F. Austin
IMO that happened because we went after too big of fish to start with and ended up without a spot to sit in musical chairs.

Fox had over 50 offers when he entered the portal, including "top level teams."

If Johnson isn't recruiting at a high level, we'll be looking for a new coach in a couple years.

If Johnson isn't recruiting at a high level, we'll be looking for a new coach in a couple years.
Creighton, Cal-Berkley, Clemson, South Carolina, LSU, St. John's, Xavier, Butler, Arkansas, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, TCU, Boston College, Georgetown, New Mexico and Dayton

I also know recruiting is everything, obviously I want the best players. Sometimes you also have to be logical and economical with your time. We 100% should aim to beat out the above teams for players. That list and the list Aimaq aren't even close to the same thing. He has the top 1% of schools after him, that list is middle of the pack teams like a Minnesota. Ben could spend every second of every day recruiting the top 10 kids in the country, 99.99% of the time that kid is never coming here. That's not on Ben, that's just the program and the current system. Look at Michigan St, great program, they almost never get a top 15 kid. Do i hope in 10 years we are a top flight team in the Big 10 yes, then you open up yourself to a higher level of recruiting. There's a level of logic here some are missing.

I have to agree with leib here. Offer this guy but it's hard to see how we have much of a chance. I also agree with his conclusion that spending too much time hoping to get guys like this is how you end up with Daniels and Ogele. Between this guy and Daniels/Ogele are guys who can help you but won't be in consideration for any all conference teams. Consider a guy like Matz Stockman. A player of even his caliber would have been a big help to us this past season.

In the fairy tale the princess kisses the frog and turns him into a prince but, in the real world, princesses seldom kiss frogs.

I agree with that (although I'd say in four years) but he just may not be able to recruit top tier transfers just yet. It may be reasonable enough right now for him to avoid taking any low tier ones.

Counter point, coach spends too much time on guys he'll never get and then has to take Diedhou and Konate....

Or, even worse, Daniels and Ogele. There were moments in this past season when I wished we had Konate.

I have to agree with leib here. Offer this guy but it's hard to see how we have much of a chance. I also agree with his conclusion that spending too much time hoping to get guys like this is how you end up with Daniels and Ogele. Between this guy and Daniels/Ogele are guys who can help you but won't be in consideration for any all conference teams. Consider a guy like Matz Stockman. A player of even his caliber would have been a big help to us this past season.

In the fairy tale the prince kisses the frog and turns her into a princess but, in the real world, a prince seldom kiss frogs.
There are some that are too old (such as me) and just never do a kiss because they are just fascinated with a talking frog.

I'm not so sure about a player like Larson. He is only 6'1". Loewe is 6'4" and averaged almost twice as many ppg agaisnt similar competition. Larson probably a better shooter though. EJ Stephens put up 16.4 ppg at Layfatte while being 6'3". If Larson wasn't from Minnesota we wouldn't be talking about him.

We've had short point guards before who have been successful. Larson was a surprisingly good rebounder for a 6'1" guard. Larson is good enough to be offered and pursued by a program of our stature at this point and, hopefully, the local origin will help.

His player efficiency rating and win shares per 40 minutes were pretty decent this past season. He played 32 minutes per game (durability and stamina appear to be necessary qualities for Ben's starters). He's not a big scorer but he hit double figures in 13 games this season. He averaged a respectable 3.6 assists per game and his assist to turnover was bit above 2 to 1. He is a very good free throw shooter. He had fair games against higher level competition (Clemson, Georgia, South Carolina, and Chattanooga).

In the fairy tale the princess kisses the frog and turns him into a prince but, in the real world, princesses seldom kiss frogs.
I'm not holding my breath and doubt we get him, but how hard is it to reach out and make one little call/salespitch? There are many teams doing this who are scouting their opponents in the NCAA tourney yet still reaching out. It would be very lazy on our end if we didn't do anything. The portal is about to blow up in a few weeks, we need to extend an offer to every decent player we can right now, and be choosy later when the portal is 3x as big

Top Bottom