2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

Now I remember why I read Gopherhole and refrain from posting....I mess up when I do post. Meant to comment on Jeremyp's post and ended up commenting on another!
THANK YOU for a very good post...your thoughts and opinions are very well expressed and supported. This is the type of post I personally love to read;
Love the positivity, greatdane1973... keep it coming! Post more often!

Jon Scheyer appears to be cleaning house of unsavory elements in the Duke program. Michael Savarino, Coach K's grandson who was a walk-on and most famously known as being ticketed for a DWI with Paolo Banchero riding shotgun, is now in the portal. I'm sure he is well schooled in slapping the floor before a big defensive possession.

Yet they have the #1 cla$$ with four 5 $tar$$$$ committed all in the top 13 nationally. In the NIL era you're not landing that many top player$ without some unsavory element$$$.

Jon Scheyer appears to be cleaning house of unsavory elements in the Duke program. Michael Savarino, Coach K's grandson who was a walk-on and most famously known as being ticketed for a DWI with Paolo Banchero riding shotgun, is now in the portal. I'm sure he is well schooled in slapping the floor before a big defensive possession.
You know Coach K is still around at Duke right?

Yet they have the #1 cla$$ with four 5 $tar$$$$ committed all in the top 13 nationally. In the NIL era you're not landing that many top player$ without some unsavory element$$$.
Duke has been getting these classes since for at least 10 years. Tyus, Okafor, & Winslow were 3 5 stars and that was well before the NIL Era

I actually enjoy following this recruiting in the transfer portal. It is more fast moving and is like free agency when you look at needs.
Right Now:
True Post: Parker Fox 24min Pharrel Payne 12 min Ihnen 4 min
Stretch 4: Dawson Garcia 30 min Treyton Thompson 8 min Ihnen 2 min
Small Forward/Wing Jamison Battle 30 min Ihnen 10 min (also have JOJ and Ramberg

I believe front court is completely set. Very good shooting front court with great size. Only adequate defensively and might be difficult to guard 3 guard lineups.

Here is where it gets fun. They have Carrington who I believe will be a combo guard good for about 15 minutes a game in a perfect world. Thiame and Henley are probably a year away from being significant contributors.

They need a pure point guard:
1. Honor 2. Cooper 3. Mcintosh (these 3 have indicated mutual interest) There are a few others out there like the SLU guy who would definitely slot in. We do not need a shooter here necessarily. We need a guy who can handle it vs. pressure and get it to shooters. Most importantly, we need a very good on the ball defender. That is why I like Honor the most. He is a 2 year starting ACC point guard, who plays great defense and does not need 10 shots a game. Cooper is a well rounded player who facilitated for a great mid major. However, I believe that McIntosh from Elon will attempt to commit in the next few days. He is solid but imo not as pure a PG for what Coach Johnson needs. If he offers to commit, do you make him wait? Probably not because if you don't get the other 2 guys, you have a big hole in a very good lineup. Honor has us in his final 3, but I heard he might be a week out from visiting. Cooper, I believe might head out next weekend.

They need a combo guard who can handle the ball some, guard a good perimeter player and can score/drive some:
It could be McIntosh if they sign another PG in addition to him.
1. Spencer 2. Thompson 3. Strong
Like McIntosh, I believe Strong will be ready to commit quickly. He was very solid for Illinois State and makes a good 7th or 8th man on a good Big Ten Team. Spencer is the best here in many ways, but I am not sure where we are on him. Thompson is a very good shooter and has 3 years of Big Ten experience at Purdue. Do we take Strong's commit right away or play the waiting game and lose a solid player potentially?

They need a 3 and D Wing that can guard bigger perimeter players and hit open "3s". This would likely be the 5th starter (although the new combo guard could start).
1. Walton 2. Jones 3. Stewart
I really like all three guys. Walton will wait to see what UNC teammate Caleb Love will do with the NBA draft (which he has 10 days left to decide) before he would enter the portal. The Gophers might not be able to wait that long. The Davidson kid, Jones, is a great fit here, but I am hearing Stanford for him. Stewart visited this past weekend. If he commits, does Coach Johnson accept it or wait. Same dilemma. I am actually very high on Stewart who is a proven Big Ten starter who will be much better this year (He played for his father and was amazing. Then his father unexpectedly passed away). He transferred to Indiana and probably was still getting over his family situation.

If they fill those 3 positions with any of those players on the list or even new guys who are better, I see a 6-8 seed NCAA tournament team

Wow.

If you think this will only benefit blue bloods then you’re fooling yourself. More kids transfer down than up
But the players that are transferring down are the ones yet aren’t god enough to play at the blue bloods and P5 level and the ones that are good enough are going up to that level.

So the blue bloods and other P5 schools are always going to get the better end of the deal compared to the mid and low majors.

I actually enjoy following this recruiting in the transfer portal. It is more fast moving and is like free agency when you look at needs.
Right Now:
Small Forward/Wing Jamison Battle 30 min Ihnen 10 min (also have JOJ and Ramberg

I believe front court is completely set. Very good shooting front court with great size. Only adequate defensively and might be difficult to guard 3 guard lineups.

Here is where it gets fun. They have Carrington who I believe will be a combo guard good for about 15 minutes a game in a perfect world. Thiame and Henley are probably a year away from being significant contributors.

1. Honor 2. Cooper 3. Mcintosh (these 3 have indicated mutual interest) There are a few others out there like the SLU guy who would definitely slot in. We do not need a shooter here necessarily. We need a guy who can handle it vs. pressure and get it to shooters. Most importantly, we need a very good on the ball defender. That is why I like Honor the most. He is a 2 year starting ACC point guard, who plays great defense and does not need 10 shots a game. Cooper is a well rounded player who facilitated for a great mid major. However, I believe that McIntosh from Elon will attempt to commit in the next few days. He is solid but imo not as pure a PG for what Coach Johnson needs. If he offers to commit, do you make him wait? Probably not because if you don't get the other 2 guys, you have a big hole in a very good lineup. Honor has us in his final 3, but I heard he might be a week out from visiting. Cooper, I believe might head out next weekend.

They need a combo guard who can handle the ball some, guard a good perimeter player and can score/drive some:
Like McIntosh, I believe Strong will be ready to commit quickly. He was very solid for Illinois State and makes a good 7th or 8th man on a good Big Ten Team. Spencer is the best here in many ways, but I am not sure where we are on him. Thompson is a very good shooter and has 3 years of Big Ten experience at Purdue. Do we take Strong's commit right away or play the waiting game and lose a solid player potentially?

They need a 3 and D Wing that can guard bigger perimeter players and hit open "3s". This would likely be the 5th starter (although the new combo guard could start).
I really like all three guys. Walton will wait to see what UNC teammate Caleb Love will do with the NBA draft (which he has 10 days left to decide) before he would enter the portal. The Gophers might not be able to wait that long. The Davidson kid, Jones, is a great fit here, but I am hearing Stanford for him. Stewart visited this past weekend. If he commits, does Coach Johnson accept it or wait. Same dilemma. I am actually very high on Stewart who is a proven Big Ten starter who will be much better this year (He played for his father and was amazing. Then his father unexpectedly passed away). He transferred to Indiana and probably was still getting over his family situation.

If they fill those 3 positions with any of those players on the list or even new guys who are better, I see a 6-8 seed NCAA tournament team
I’d be happy with Cooper as the point, Strong at the 2 and McIntosh as the combo guard off the bench. I think I like Strong a tad more over Stewart, 41% from 3 and MVC players translate well to the P5 level (Liam, Reggie, Mikyke McIntosh from ISU to Oregon off the top of my head) although they both seem close.

Honor would be solid as well. Thompson and Moore would be ok as backup PG’s but I don’t love our chances of making the tourney with them as starters.

But the players that are transferring down are the ones yet aren’t god enough to play at the blue bloods and P5 level and the ones that are good enough are going up to that level.

So the blue bloods and other P5 schools are always going to get the better end of the deal compared to the mid and low majors.
Some transferring down are not good enough to start on the most talented teams in America. A lot of coaches can make a living with the 7th and 8th man from Duke or Kansas.

Transferring Down doesn't make a player not good enough for that level. It could be more about fit. Blue bloods arent the only ones benefitting from the portal. A 4 star kid transferring down to a mid major from a power 5 is great for that conference and will help increase the talent level across the board

Devin Askew (Kentucky/Texas) just entered the portal. A kid who reclassed and went to Kent early, then played last year at Texas and didnt get a ton of run. Feels like he wants to be more of a focal point of a team. His stats don't look great but with such limited time i think that is tough. I think he has big upside, one of those kids who ends up a lower end P5 or a high mid major and just blows up.
He's just not good

Transferring Down doesn't make a player not good enough for that level. It could be more about fit. Blue bloods arent the only ones benefitting from the portal. A 4 star kid transferring down to a mid major from a power 5 is great for that conference and will help increase the talent level across the board
I understand it goes both ways but like I said, the higher end schools are going to get the better end of the deal a lot more compared to the lower end schools.

I would think it's easier than recruiting from high school where you have 21,000 high school teams. You have a limited number of guys in the portal, they have fewer years remaining so mistakes don't impact you as much, they've already been in college so you know if they can handle the academics and you have tape of many of them playing against college players. Also it gives you the opportunity to part ways with players who are never going to see the floor and they can go to an easier conference where they will. There are just so many fewer unknowns and there is a much shorter list than the thousands playing in high school...
There are definite benefits with recruiting transfers, older, experienced, have already made the transition to college and proven they can play.....

My comment has more to do with the compressed window of time coaches have to work with in regards to guys in the portal. The big advantage with high school recruiting is that yes you are working with a much larger pool but you have time on your side to get to know players. With the transfer portal there might be some guys that you had some relationship with a few years ago but you are pretty much starting from scratch with each guy and have to rush through to the process to avoid losing them to someone else.

Right Now:

Why are you so sure Henley isn’t ready to contribute this year. Good stats in a strong California league, I think you are underselling him.

Is it no longer taboo to take a transfer off another Big Ten team? I know 25 years ago it was, but Maryland and Rutgers and Nebraska have been added and a lot has changed in the transfer situation since then.

I understand it goes both ways but like I said, the higher end schools are going to get the better end of the deal a lot more compared to the lower end schools.
I don't think it will be much of a difference compared to anything else. I also think more mid-majors will benefit from high majors running kids out because they have the next stud to bring in. I see it almost being a wash. The transfer portal is currently seeing the results of giving kids an extra year of eligibility. There are 3-5 kids in Minnesota who would be mid to low major kids in a normal year that will be going to a D2 college because of the extra year. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those guys transfer up in 2 seasons. I think it will take at least 3 seasons to correct that extra year decision which at the time seems like the right thing to do but it caused high school kids to suffer because of the lack of roster movement

Why are you so sure Henley isn’t ready to contribute this year. Good stats in a strong California league, I think you are underselling him.
It is alway risky to expect too much from a true freshman. Some can make the transition and succeed right away and others need time. But I do agree that it is not impossible that we get significant contributions from some of the freshman next year.

I know it has been mentioned some in here about Coyle, NIL, what can fans do to help. This is certainly interesting. Have to assume if giving to an NIL deal while also being exempt would entice more donors and more money.

I know it has been mentioned some in here about Coyle, NIL, what can fans do to help. This is certainly interesting. Have to assume if giving to an NIL deal while also being exempt would entice more donors and more money.
Somebody knows somebody in the IRS. If we can't get our ticket required scholarship donations deductible, there is no way an organization formed to get donations to pay players should be granted 501(c)3 status as a charity. This is crap.

"Hoosiers for Good" give me a break.

Somebody knows somebody in the IRS. If we can't get our ticket required scholarship donations deductible, there is no way an organization formed to get donations to pay players should be granted 501(c)3 status as a charity. This is crap.
If a Tea Party group can be exempt because it's "primarily about education" I guess an NIL group that spends 5% of it's on charity and 95% on recruits can be "primarily about charity."

Is cash considered an NIL opportunity?🤔

Dang, thought another piece to the puzzle would fall today. (My impatience, once again, showing through.)

Top Bottom