2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

The view is always sunny from inside MNVCGUY's head.

eye
own
u

Don’t worry Banned Burner, I won’t supplant you as Spaulding’s 👻
Canoodle away.

Where is he today anyway? I thought he’d be here to shout fake news or that Garcia’s Twitter was hacked

I presume that last line is some jab at my recent posts so I'll bite. You are not seeing the bigger vision.

If the entire state wore their Gopher jerseys, the 3Ms, Targets, Best Buys of MN will know that fans have a passion about the program and want to play ball in the NIL game. Right now, they see such little interest that it is not worth spending valuable advertising and outreach dollars in this area.

If the entire state wore their Gopher jerseys, the wealthy donors of MN will become more engaged in the U of M athletic program and start spreading their $$ to athletics as they see that as part of the fabric of the state's culture rather than focusing just on the arts. We need those donors and future wealthy donors to be engaged in this program.

If the entire state wore their Gopher jerseys, local kids would develop a love for the U and dream of representing this quality institution and local prep athletes would see the support for the team and be more drawn to represent their home state. We need to give them another reason to stay.
Actually, I like your spirit. I have always felt the same way you do. My closet is lined with Gopher gear and I long for the days when the angle you are asking for works. Unfortunately, this game is being bought and sold.

Actually, I like your spirit. I have always felt the same way you do. My closet is lined with Gopher gear and I long for the days when the angle you are asking for works. Unfortunately, this game is being bought and sold.
I hear you! I have made it my personal mission to introduce as many of my friends and colleagues from out of state to the University of Minnesota athletics. It is my only way to make a difference. If even one of these friends introduces another and starts a chain reaction, my goal will have been successful.

Imagine if each fan on the GopherHole did something similar. Bring a friend to the game, buy a Goldy for a young child in your life, etc. and we can slowly restore this great university's brand in the community.

I presume that last line is some jab at my recent posts so I'll bite. You are not seeing the bigger vision.

If the entire state wore their Gopher jerseys, the 3Ms, Targets, Best Buys of MN will know that fans have a passion about the program and want to play ball in the NIL game. Right now, they see such little interest that it is not worth spending valuable advertising and outreach dollars in this area.

If the entire state wore their Gopher jerseys, the wealthy donors of MN will become more engaged in the U of M athletic program and start spreading their $$ to athletics as they see that as part of the fabric of the state's culture rather than focusing just on the arts. We need those donors and future wealthy donors to be engaged in this program.

If the entire state wore their Gopher jerseys, local kids would develop a love for the U and dream of representing this quality institution and local prep athletes would see the support for the team and be more drawn to represent their home state. We need to give them another reason to stay.

If the entire state wore Gophers jerseys.....wait a minute....this isn't Nebraska!

You ought to be glad that you live in a state with some diversity of interests.

In my opinion if you think money hasn't been changing hands at massive rates prior, then you are just choosing to look the other way. Go listen to Fred Taylor's interview with Barstool from a few weeks ago. He said on signing day there was a bag with like $50k sitting at his house from Georgia to sign with them, and he said there were Georgia boosters who told him when he needed cash (He said a thousand + at a time) just to ask. And spoiler, he didnt even sign there! That means the bag he got from Florida was bigger! You can not like it, I understand why people don't like it, but its just the reality and has been that way forever.

I have no issues with the kids getting paid, its not my money, if T Boone Pickens wants to pay kids $1m a year to play at OK St, thats on him and the kid. The one thing I do not like is the under the table stuff and kids leaving just for that. As someone said before, if a kid (especially a stud like Hunter) is leaving now, I am sure he already knows where he is going and what he is getting, that I don't like. Now, is there anything you can do about that? Doubtful, the only thing I can think is that you go back to 100% of transfers sit a year, no if ands or buts, you want that money and they want you then ok, but you cant play for a year. I think that would stop a lot of this sneaking around business.

and dont worry, if I come up with the next billion dollar idea I will be lining up the contracts for kids haha. There will be 12 5* kids on the team every GD year! :)
But, you can't do that either. The majority of guys transferring are just unhappy and/or not getting minutes for their current teams. The rule was thought to be put in place for those kinds of situations. Again, that's the majority.
I have no idea how you draw the line between them and the 5th year senior guys, the all conference guys being offered $750k to come to "my school"
It's ugly.
And Ben isn't getting any help from anybody to offer NIL packages to guys that we are aware of.
Adapt or perish....seems unlikely Coyle being helpful.

Rumor from twitter/reddit/isu boards is that UNC has offered $750k in NIL. Everyone laughed at this theory last week, not so many laughing now. Even if he doesn't go to UNC, Iowa state fan was still correct that he was leaving. This could also free up Kerwin for us
His stock probably will never be higher than right now. Can’t blame him for cashing in Don’t believe he’s a sure NBA player down the road. The college game is declining rapidly in quality of play and with the portal the blue bloods are going to be stronger and Cinderellas a thing of the past . Got to feel for ISU fans

I hear you! I have made it my personal mission to introduce as many of my friends and colleagues from out of state to the University of Minnesota athletics. It is my only way to make a difference. If even one of these friends introduces another and starts a chain reaction, my goal will have been successful.

Imagine if each fan on the GopherHole did something similar. Bring a friend to the game, buy a Goldy for a young child in your life, etc. and we can slowly restore this great university's brand in the community.
Many, many Gopher fans have been doing some what you suggest for decades. Just a thought….,,,

But, you can't do that either. The majority of guys transferring are just unhappy and/or not getting minutes for their current teams. The rule was thought to be put in place for those kinds of situations. Again, that's the majority.
I have no idea how you draw the line between them and the 5th year senior guys, the all conference guys being offered $750k to come to "my school"
It's ugly.
And Ben isn't getting any help from anybody to offer NIL packages to guys that we are aware of.
NIL deals are independent of the school. What is Coyle supposed to do?

Hope Ben passes on Antoine Davis and Parker Stewart. Davis has averaged around 20 shots a game for his career, and his shot selection can be horrible at times. No guarantees he'd be willing to be more of a team player on a better squad. And I wasn't impressed at all with Stewart when watching Indiana last year.
I have not seen him play but do you have any idea how good you have to be to average 24 points a game on 19 shots? He did average almost 4 and a half assists per game. He shot 88% from the line with over 100 attempts.
His two next best scoring teammates averaged 12 and 11. The guy who averaged 11, he played one game. Next is 8 ppg. Now if you have coached a team like this you'd realize since the other team puts their entire emphasis on stopping your best player...shots are hard to get. Assists are even hard to get because you put people in a nice position to score and they miss the shot but at 4 plus assists... that is not easy on any team as an average. 5.9 led the country.
Score 12...you need 36 in the next game to average 24. Do that over 29 games...that's impressive.

NIL deals are independent of the school. What is Coyle supposed to do?
Ya, absolutely nothing. You are right. How many boosters, big companies even realize NIL exists?
How many know the sports landscape has changed? These people are immersed in their own world of trying to hire qualified people, arrange shipping of supplies that used to be routine and half the price, plan for inflation and a long list of problems that are new to business in the last couple years.

It would take a salesman, an energetic charismatic leader to make booster candidates aware of the opportunities to help. Our guy can't raise money for the facilities he inherited. What is Coyle supposed to do? Cut sports, talk to the public once every 6 months and masterfully say nothing seems to be the answer of what you comfortable with from him.

In my opinion if you think money hasn't been changing hands at massive rates prior, then you are just choosing to look the other way. Go listen to Fred Taylor's interview with Barstool from a few weeks ago. He said on signing day there was a bag with like $50k sitting at his house from Georgia to sign with them, and he said there were Georgia boosters who told him when he needed cash (He said a thousand + at a time) just to ask. And spoiler, he didnt even sign there! That means the bag he got from Florida was bigger! You can not like it, I understand why people don't like it, but its just the reality and has been that way forever.

I have no issues with the kids getting paid, its not my money, if T Boone Pickens wants to pay kids $1m a year to play at OK St, thats on him and the kid. The one thing I do not like is the under the table stuff and kids leaving just for that. As someone said before, if a kid (especially a stud like Hunter) is leaving now, I am sure he already knows where he is going and what he is getting, that I don't like. Now, is there anything you can do about that? Doubtful, the only thing I can think is that you go back to 100% of transfers sit a year, no if ands or buts, you want that money and they want you then ok, but you cant play for a year. I think that would stop a lot of this sneaking around business.

and dont worry, if I come up with the next billion dollar idea I will be lining up the contracts for kids haha. There will be 12 5* kids on the team every GD year! :)

I pretty much agree with all of this. The blue bloods have been paying payers for decades, that's nothing new. The fact that it is out in the open is the only thing that's changed.

I like the idea of going back to transfers sitting out for a year. It's the only real way to keep NIL and this new college free agency somewhat under control. I still believe you should be able to transfer if your coach changes, but beyond that you need to sit for a year.

I have not seen him play but do you have any idea how good you have to be to average 24 points a game on 19 shots? He did average almost 4 and a half assists per game. He shot 88% from the line with over 100 attempts.
His two next best scoring teammates averaged 12 and 11. The guy who averaged 11, he played one game. Next is 8 ppg. Now if you have coached a team like this you'd realize since the other team puts their entire emphasis on stopping your best player...shots are hard to get. Assists are even hard to get because you put people in a nice position to score and they miss the shot but at 4 plus assists... that is not easy on any team as an average. 5.9 led the country.
Score 12...you need 36 in the next game to average 24. Do that over 29 games...that's impressive.

I watched Detroit Mercy a few times this past season. Every one of those games Davis had at least 3-4 shots that would make your eyes roll. He would have these moments at times where it didn't matter what the defense was showing him, he was going to avoid his teammates and shoot no matter what (wild shots, like a poor man's JD Notae). Also, he was very ball dominant, so the 4 assists a game isn't all that impressive.

Not saying he isn't a fine basketball player. If he can learn to be more of a team guy at his next power-6 stop, I'm sure he'll be very effective. You just never know if a player is going to accept a different role or not, especially a high volume shooter.

He can't be involved with NIL deals.
Good grief. Do you suppose there is anything Coyle could do? You know, outside of being directly involved?

More excuses. I’m sure Go Heels are thinking the same of their ad.

Good grief. Do you suppose there is anything Coyle could do? You know, outside of being directly involved?

More excuses. I’m sure Go Heels are thinking the same of their ad.
He can't in regards to NIL. He can work with businesses/companies/individuals on donations to the athletic department (something he does do and does it better than any past AD), he can create a program that pays our athletes for getting good grades (something he has done), and he can manage a whole athletic department. You can blame our compliance or whomever you want, but we don't cheat here (I think that's ok). NCAA says to stay out of the NIL deals because they want to avoid lawsuits. Chip Scoggins wrote a whole article about this last week. There needs to be a "collective" that does this. Heels AD has nothing to do with the NIL stuff either. He doesn't need to as his boosters took it and ran with it.

He can't in regards to NIL. He can work with businesses/companies/individuals on donations to the athletic department (something he does do and does it better than any past AD), he can create a program that pays our athletes for getting good grades (something he has done), and he can manage a whole athletic department. You can blame our compliance or whomever you want, but we don't cheat here (I think that's ok). NCAA says to stay out of the NIL deals because they want to avoid lawsuits. Chip Scoggins wrote a whole article about this last week. There needs to be a "collective" that does this. Heels AD has nothing to do with the NIL stuff either. He doesn't need to as his boosters took it and ran with it.
Nothing he can do.

Nothing he can do.
Barney, good grief ... Take the reins here and put together a collective. Coyle is sitting on his hands because of some silly NCAA rules. He's no use to us.

You, Barney, can save Gopher basketball with your God-given talent as a leader of men. Get er done, Barn.

Most of these kids now a days listen to that rap this... Hip hop.. stuff... What doesn't best buy just do a nil and pimp out a kids car or room with electronics.. say 5k per kid on the team.. I'd guess you could get a pretty bad ass sound system for 5k... Or a nice theater set up...

General mills... Make a gopher cereal... Like a gopher with a badger or Hawkeye (head only) in it's mouth... Then do maroon and gold crunch berries.... Or marshmallows... I don't get it...

Anyway.... Ben's been recruiting dawson since like 2017 basically .. 6th years gotta be the charm....
Good god either this is a bad attempt at humor or you are 1000 years old...

Ya, absolutely nothing. You are right. How many boosters, big companies even realize NIL exists?
How many know the sports landscape has changed? These people are immersed in their own world of trying to hire qualified people, arrange shipping of supplies that used to be routine and half the price, plan for inflation and a long list of problems that are new to business in the last couple years.

It would take a salesman, an energetic charismatic leader to make booster candidates aware of the opportunities to help. Our guy can't raise money for the facilities he inherited. What is Coyle supposed to do? Cut sports, talk to the public once every 6 months and masterfully say nothing seems to be the answer of what you comfortable with from him.

How many know it exists? Um all of them unless they are hiding under a rock.

But yeah it is surely Coyle's fault that he isn't doing the thing he isn't allowed to do. How dare he follow the rules?!?!!?

Barney, good grief ... Take the reins here and put together a collective. Coyle is sitting on his hands because of some silly NCAA rules. He's no use to us.

You, Barney, can save Gopher basketball with your God-given talent as a leader of men. Get er done, Barn.
NOTHING he can do.

It's ugly.
This is an opinion, not fact. There can be a multitude of reasons why they transfer. There are plenty of players in the portal who actually got adequate minutes.

Coyle's been the best fundraiser we've had in the last 20 years. Do we still lack in donations? Yes big time, but he's improved it not kept it down in the gutter.

Coyle's been the best fundraiser we've had in the last 20 years. Do we still lack in donations? Yes big time, but he's improved it not kept it down in the gutter.
No point going down this rabbit hole. There are some that have hated Coyle since the day he was hired and that won't change anytime soon.

Ripping him for NIL though is pretty funny since schools can't be directly involved with those. And because our AD is not publicly doing something illegal the assumption of course is that he is in no way shape or form advocating for U of M athletes on the NIL front.

Top Bottom