2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

So whats next?
Stewart visited over the weekend.
Strong was on campus yesterday?
McCintosh starts his visit today?
Cooper this weekend or early next week?
Thompson next weekend?
am i right on those?
any word on when Honor and Spencer are visiting? i thought i heard/read both were planning too but not sure i have heard dates?

im hoping for some bigger names to emerge on the PG front here but just not a lot of buzz going on with that it seems

So whats next?
Thompson next weekend?
am i right on those?
any word on when Honor and Spencer are visiting? i thought i heard/read both were planning too but not sure i have heard dates?

im hoping for some bigger names to emerge on the PG front here but just not a lot of buzz going on with that it seems
Interesting how this recruiting appears so different from high school recruiting. I’m not sure slow playing is possible in the portal for anyone but blue bloods. Looks like the masses need to identify two or three guys in each hole that are acceptable and take the first one who commits even if another one is better. If not could end up zeroed out. Not sure if that’s what happened to us last year or not but it’s a high risk game.

Interesting how this recruiting appears so different from high school recruiting. I’m not sure slow playing is possible in the portal for anyone but blue bloods. Looks like the masses need to identify two or three guys in each hole that are acceptable and take the first one who commits even if another one is better. If not could end up zeroed out. Not sure if that’s what happened to us last year or not but it’s a high risk game.
Portal recruiting has to be crazy hard for coaches. You have to vet a player in a really short window of time, try to figure out how their game will fit with your style and determine if they are going to mesh with what you already have on the roster.

And you have just a few short weeks to do all of this in a lot of cases.

So whats next?
Thompson next weekend?
am i right on those?

McIntosh committ today, Stewart soon. If Kerwin waits too long, then we take Stewart over him.

Portal recruiting has to be crazy hard for coaches. You have to vet a player in a really short window of time, try to figure out how their game will fit with your style and determine if they are going to mesh with what you already have on the roster.

My guess is coaches likely focus on players they already know through previous recruiting or other places. Also likely that they look for guys who have played in a similar system. I know that’s a big reason Stephens ended up here. Lafayette ran same system Ben was going to do. Still crazy though.

McIntosh committ today, Stewart soon. If Kerwin waits too long, then we take Stewart over him.
I'm hoping to see that Stewart commit. McIntosh is fine. He seems more like a lock up guy, just in case you miss on others, but I'd probably take him over Thompson. Cooper would be slick. The 3 I want would be Cooper, Spencer, Stewart.

I still like Moore from CSU too but I don't know if he's anywhere on the radar.

Last edited:

I think we need two really good ball handlers and as many shooters as possible. I am a fan of Kerwin but think that we have one combo guard spot open and two true PG spots. I believe that we have the front court to be very competitive but really good teams have two well seasoned veteran (Eric Harris and Bobby Jackson anyone) ball handlers. I say we keep dipping into the great state of North Carolina and grab the Elon guard and then either the Moorhead State guard or Purdue guard (not sexy but smart I think). Lastly, find a shooter (Walton or Spencer would be my pick) and let’s run. I think the one thing we will have over any of the Pitino teams this year is huge front court depth and lots of shooting. I really think Fox and Payne will surprise a lot of people!

So whats next?
Thompson next weekend?
am i right on those?

I would guess Strong commits pretty soon and we get PG news within the next 2 weeks

Devin Askew (Kentucky/Texas) just entered the portal. A kid who reclassed and went to Kent early, then played last year at Texas and didnt get a ton of run. Feels like he wants to be more of a focal point of a team. His stats don't look great but with such limited time i think that is tough. I think he has big upside, one of those kids who ends up a lower end P5 or a high mid major and just blows up.

Imagine a Mid Major coach. Every good player you have basically leaves early after you believe in and help develop them. Anyone who believes there is more parity and St Peter stories is fooling themselves. This plays right into blue blood city.

The sporadic nature of guys entering the portal has to drive coaches nuts. You start to settle in on the guys you want to go after and then a new name drops and you might have to rethink your plan.

Imagine a Mid Major coach. Every good player you have basically leaves early after you believe in and help develop them. Anyone who believes there is more parity and St Peter stories is fooling themselves. This plays right into blue blood city.
I think there is more parity between P5 schools but the mid-majors/lower levels are going to get slaughtered.

The life of a mid major.....develop good players and they leave.....make the tournament and there is a good chance you are going to lose your coach....
Being a fan of a mid-major is like being a fan of a minor league baseball team.

I actually enjoy following this recruiting in the transfer portal. It is more fast moving and is like free agency when you look at needs.
Right Now:
True Post: Parker Fox 24min Pharrel Payne 12 min Ihnen 4 min
Stretch 4: Dawson Garcia 30 min Treyton Thompson 8 min Ihnen 2 min
Small Forward/Wing Jamison Battle 30 min Ihnen 10 min (also have JOJ and Ramberg

I believe front court is completely set. Very good shooting front court with great size. Only adequate defensively and might be difficult to guard 3 guard lineups.

Here is where it gets fun. They have Carrington who I believe will be a combo guard good for about 15 minutes a game in a perfect world. Thiame and Henley are probably a year away from being significant contributors.

They need a pure point guard:
1. Honor 2. Cooper 3. Mcintosh (these 3 have indicated mutual interest) There are a few others out there like the SLU guy who would definitely slot in. We do not need a shooter here necessarily. We need a guy who can handle it vs. pressure and get it to shooters. Most importantly, we need a very good on the ball defender. That is why I like Honor the most. He is a 2 year starting ACC point guard, who plays great defense and does not need 10 shots a game. Cooper is a well rounded player who facilitated for a great mid major. However, I believe that McIntosh from Elon will attempt to commit in the next few days. He is solid but imo not as pure a PG for what Coach Johnson needs. If he offers to commit, do you make him wait? Probably not because if you don't get the other 2 guys, you have a big hole in a very good lineup. Honor has us in his final 3, but I heard he might be a week out from visiting. Cooper, I believe might head out next weekend.

They need a combo guard who can handle the ball some, guard a good perimeter player and can score/drive some:
It could be McIntosh if they sign another PG in addition to him.
1. Spencer 2. Thompson 3. Strong
Like McIntosh, I believe Strong will be ready to commit quickly. He was very solid for Illinois State and makes a good 7th or 8th man on a good Big Ten Team. Spencer is the best here in many ways, but I am not sure where we are on him. Thompson is a very good shooter and has 3 years of Big Ten experience at Purdue. Do we take Strong's commit right away or play the waiting game and lose a solid player potentially?

They need a 3 and D Wing that can guard bigger perimeter players and hit open "3s". This would likely be the 5th starter (although the new combo guard could start).
1. Walton 2. Jones 3. Stewart
I really like all three guys. Walton will wait to see what UNC teammate Caleb Love will do with the NBA draft (which he has 10 days left to decide) before he would enter the portal. The Gophers might not be able to wait that long. The Davidson kid, Jones, is a great fit here, but I am hearing Stanford for him. Stewart visited this past weekend. If he commits, does Coach Johnson accept it or wait. Same dilemma. I am actually very high on Stewart who is a proven Big Ten starter who will be much better this year (He played for his father and was amazing. Then his father unexpectedly passed away). He transferred to Indiana and probably was still getting over his family situation.

If they fill those 3 positions with any of those players on the list or even new guys who are better, I see a 6-8 seed NCAA tournament team

I think it can go both ways too. Might allow them to get some higher talent out of HS if the recruit doesn't get the offers he wants because the recruit knows they can transfer later on easily. The recruit may want to go to a Mid-Major over a lower end Power 6 team to get more playing time right away.

May also allow them to get transfers from Power 6 teams that weren't getting a lot of playing time.

Being a fan of a mid-major is like being a fan of a minor league baseball team.
So a few counter points. I would say being a fan of a low/mid major team I would say you go into the year knowing 100% we have 0 shot to win the national title, if they win 25ish games, when their conference and conference tourney that is essentially the peak. If they think like that they can still benefit from this. Longwood's best player this year was Isaiah Wilkins (role player at uVA) Cal St Fullerton's best player was a failed Tennessee player. NM State's best player went from WVU to Neb and finally to NM St where they had a nice little run. Yah I am sure it really blows to find a gem and have them leave after 1 year to a bigger school, but they have the ability to work the portal the other way as well.

I do wish there was more loyalty, but as mad as we are about guys leaving, no one is made at Battle or Garcia for leaving and coming here, so its a little bit contradictory to be just upset about players who leave but not the ones who come here.

The one thing I do wish they could take out is the tampering. I think it is almost a 100% certainty that schools/boosters called Tyrese Hunter after the year and told him hey this is what we can offer, and guessing he waited to leave until he found the best offer. I don't blame the kid, any of us would probably do the same, but I just think its dirty pool to do that.

If you think this will only benefit blue bloods then you’re fooling yourself. More kids transfer down than up

I actually enjoy following this recruiting in the transfer portal. It is more fast moving and is like free agency when you look at needs.
Right Now:
Small Forward/Wing Jamison Battle 30 min Ihnen 10 min (also have JOJ and Ramberg

I believe front court is completely set. Very good shooting front court with great size. Only adequate defensively and might be difficult to guard 3 guard lineups.

Here is where it gets fun. They have Carrington who I believe will be a combo guard good for about 15 minutes a game in a perfect world. Thiame and Henley are probably a year away from being significant contributors.

1. Honor 2. Cooper 3. Mcintosh (these 3 have indicated mutual interest) There are a few others out there like the SLU guy who would definitely slot in. We do not need a shooter here necessarily. We need a guy who can handle it vs. pressure and get it to shooters. Most importantly, we need a very good on the ball defender. That is why I like Honor the most. He is a 2 year starting ACC point guard, who plays great defense and does not need 10 shots a game. Cooper is a well rounded player who facilitated for a great mid major. However, I believe that McIntosh from Elon will attempt to commit in the next few days. He is solid but imo not as pure a PG for what Coach Johnson needs. If he offers to commit, do you make him wait? Probably not because if you don't get the other 2 guys, you have a big hole in a very good lineup. Honor has us in his final 3, but I heard he might be a week out from visiting. Cooper, I believe might head out next weekend.

They need a combo guard who can handle the ball some, guard a good perimeter player and can score/drive some:
Like McIntosh, I believe Strong will be ready to commit quickly. He was very solid for Illinois State and makes a good 7th or 8th man on a good Big Ten Team. Spencer is the best here in many ways, but I am not sure where we are on him. Thompson is a very good shooter and has 3 years of Big Ten experience at Purdue. Do we take Strong's commit right away or play the waiting game and lose a solid player potentially?

They need a 3 and D Wing that can guard bigger perimeter players and hit open "3s". This would likely be the 5th starter (although the new combo guard could start).
I really like all three guys. Walton will wait to see what UNC teammate Caleb Love will do with the NBA draft (which he has 10 days left to decide) before he would enter the portal. The Gophers might not be able to wait that long. The Davidson kid, Jones, is a great fit here, but I am hearing Stanford for him. Stewart visited this past weekend. If he commits, does Coach Johnson accept it or wait. Same dilemma. I am actually very high on Stewart who is a proven Big Ten starter who will be much better this year (He played for his father and was amazing. Then his father unexpectedly passed away). He transferred to Indiana and probably was still getting over his family situation.

If they fill those 3 positions with any of those players on the list or even new guys who are better, I see a 6-8 seed NCAA tournament team

Heck of a first post!!! Post more often!

Go JeremyP!!

Right Now:

Solid breakdown. Only exception I would say is swapping Ihnen and TT the stretch 4. TT did not seem to impress the staff much and a lot of good things about Ihnen so I would expect him to get over the 16 min you had him for. 22 min if he took those 8 stretch 4 minutes would make sense.

The Carrington/Thiam/Henley group is the true wildcard to me. I think at this point we will get a good/serviceable PG and a CG. Our upside lies in the young kids, can they give us a boost or are they not quite ready. I like the optimism but a 6-8 seed is pretty frisky, thats basically being in the top 25 all year, that seems pretty unlikely. I would think if it all falls into place that 9-12 range in the NCAA seems feasible.

Solid breakdown. Only exception I would say is swapping Ihnen and TT the stretch 4. TT did not seem to impress the staff much and a lot of good things about Ihnen so I would expect him to get over the 16 min you had him for. 22 min if he took those 8 stretch 4 minutes would make sense.

The Carrington/Thiam/Henley group is the true wildcard to me. I think at this point we will get a good/serviceable PG and a CG. Our upside lies in the young kids, can they give us a boost or are they not quite ready. I like the optimism but a 6-8 seed is pretty frisky, thats basically being in the top 25 all year, that seems pretty unlikely. I would think if it all falls into place that 9-12 range in the NCAA seems feasible.
This is the kind of post that makes me check Gopherhole everyday! Very well written and well- informed thoughts and opinions. THANK YOU for posting

Right Now:

Now I remember why I read Gopherhole and refrain from posting....I mess up when I do post. Meant to comment on Jeremyp's post and ended up commenting on another!
THANK YOU for a very good post...your thoughts and opinions are very well expressed and supported. This is the type of post I personally love to read;

I would think it's easier than recruiting from high school where you have 21,000 high school teams. You have a limited number of guys in the portal, they have fewer years remaining so mistakes don't impact you as much, they've already been in college so you know if they can handle the academics and you have tape of many of them playing against college players. Also it gives you the opportunity to part ways with players who are never going to see the floor and they can go to an easier conference where they will. There are just so many fewer unknowns and there is a much shorter list than the thousands playing in high school...

Last edited:

I would think it's easier than recruiting from high school where you have 21,000 high school teams. You have a limited number of guys in the portal, they have fewer years remaining so mistakes don't impact you as much, they've already been in college so you know if they can handle the academics and you have tape of many of them playing against college players. There are just so many fewer unknowns and there is a much shorter list than the thousands playing in high school...
It's basically juco recruiting on steriods.

Jon Scheyer appears to be cleaning house of unsavory elements in the Duke program. Michael Savarino, Coach K's grandson who was a walk-on and most famously known as being ticketed for a DWI with Paolo Banchero riding shotgun, is now in the portal. I'm sure he is well schooled in slapping the floor before a big defensive possession.

I think there is more parity between P5 schools but the mid-majors/lower levels are going to get slaughtered.
The mid majors are doing the same thing to low majors and non D1 schools, it's a trickle effect, but it's making all programs get older which ironically is making more parity than ever. Even at the D2 level Augustana's entire Freshman class would have all been mid-low major D1 five years ago, teams are looking to get older and that's pushing down a lot of late blooming high school talent

Top Bottom