2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I suppose it shouldnt, but it does surprise me that some of these kids wait so long to enter the portal. I mean a guy like Hunter will have no issues as he could go to any school in the country, but that is not the case for everyone. Eventually those spots dry up and then you don't get your pick of the litter. Who knows, maybe Ben has a surprise waiting in the wings to transfer here!

EDIT* Rumor is Hunter is going to UNC, yet another sign Kerwin is likely out

I suppose it shouldnt, but it does surprise me that some of these kids wait so long to enter the portal. I mean a guy like Hunter will have no issues as he could go to any school in the country, but that is not the case for everyone. Eventually those spots dry up and then you don't get your pick of the litter. Who knows, maybe Ben has a surprise waiting in the wings to transfer here!

EDIT* Rumor is Hunter is going to UNC, yet another sign Kerwin is likely out
Late portal entrants could suggest a player has a pre arranged plan (higher end guys like Hunter) or have been forced out by the program, thus potentially losing their scholarship and free education. Unintended consequence of the freedom of transfer movement.

Rumor from twitter/reddit/isu boards is that UNC has offered $750k in NIL. Everyone laughed at this theory last week, not so many laughing now. Even if he doesn't go to UNC, Iowa state fan was still correct that he was leaving. This could also free up Kerwin for us
You better have one of two strategies:

1. A huge NIL booster fund to attract transfers and 5 star players
2. A very good developmental program using three star types in a system

Or plan to be mediocre.

With that kind of money afloat at the blue bloods and some well financed schools like Oregon and others, kids are not going to just stay home and pass on 6 figures. It just makes me wonder, why at this point are there any rules? I can't stand this version of college buckets. Yuck.

But hey, if we all wear our Gopher jerseys....

Or plan to be mediocre.

With that kind of money afloat at the blue bloods and some well financed schools like Oregon and others, kids are not going to just stay home and pass on 6 figures. It just makes me wonder, why at this point are there any rules? I can't stand this version of college buckets. Yuck.

Yup. And there were the folks around here that said nothing much would change........

Yet another dream transfer that who will likely go way above our class

Rumor from twitter/reddit/isu boards is that UNC has offered $750k in NIL. Everyone laughed at this theory last week, not so many laughing now. Even if he doesn't go to UNC, Iowa state fan was still correct that he was leaving. This could also free up Kerwin for us

If this is true, then this news makes me angry about the state of college basketball. The blue bloods and top teams have almost always been dirty (there are even rumors of the old UCLA teams paying players), but the new transfer portal and NIL will continue to make the blue bloods and top teams with deep pocketed boosters even more powerful. And now they can do it in broad daylight. Player loyalty to 'the team' has been slowly dying the past ten years, and it will die completely when money is thrown around like this. The mid-majors will continue to be poached like minor league teams.

I love college basketball, but this is starting to feel like something completely different.

Most of these kids now a days listen to that rap this... Hip hop.. stuff... What doesn't best buy just do a nil and pimp out a kids car or room with electronics.. say 5k per kid on the team.. I'd guess you could get a pretty bad ass sound system for 5k... Or a nice theater set up...

General mills... Make a gopher cereal... Like a gopher with a badger or Hawkeye (head only) in it's mouth... Then do maroon and gold crunch berries.... Or marshmallows... I don't get it...

Anyway.... Ben's been recruiting dawson since like 2017 basically .. 6th years gotta be the charm....

Or plan to be mediocre.

We're witnessing the end of amateurism and the destruction of college athletics before our very eyes and it's disgusting.

This might be the best point guard available (just dropped) in the portal (Yuri Collins of St. Louis ) at least based on this past season. Led the nation in assists per game this season.

Is it too late to at least offer? I know we seem to have settled on pool of guards but still.

Surprising...

Are there still a bunch of guys entering everyday?

Lately commits have outnumbered entries. For considering immediate eligibility, there are only 12 days left to enter the portal.

Or plan to be mediocre.

Nailed it.

Sure hope Coyle has a plan. But I'm not counting on it.

Go Gophers!!

This might be the best point guard available (just dropped) in the portal (Yuri Collins of St. Louis ) at least based on this past season. Led the nation in assists per game this season.

Is it too late to at least offer? I know we seem to have settled on pool of guards but still.

Why would it be too late? I'd be shocked if we don't offer him. Our guards aren't settled until we sign a couple. Recruiting will be fluid until then.

We're witnessing the end of amateurism and the destruction of college athletics before our very eyes and it's disgusting.
That may be somewhat true for football and basketball but the majority of college athletics are still amateur and run the way they are supposed to be. Not fair to lump all of the other sports in with the high dollar ones.

Why would it be too late to offer a new player if he was someone we thought we could get and would consider us as an option?

I mean obviously we have been focusing on a particular pool of available players but until all the available spots are full of commitments anything can happen.

If this is true, then this news makes me angry about the state of college basketball. The blue bloods and top teams have almost always been dirty (there are even rumors of the old UCLA teams paying players), but the new transfer portal and NIL will continue to make the blue bloods and top teams with deep pocketed boosters even more powerful. And now they can do it in broad daylight. Player loyalty to 'the team' has been slowly dying the past ten years, and it will die completely when money is thrown around like this. The mid-majors will continue to be poached like minor league teams.

I love college basketball, but this is starting to feel like something completely different.
The Blue bloods take all of the headlines, but quite frankly there's more parity than ever in college hoops, we just saw a 15 seed make the elite 8. Sure the Hunter deal is a headline stealer, but teams across the board are looking to get older, high majors like us, are picking guys off from mid and low majors. Mid and low majors are getting guys from lower levels D2, D3 high major h\guys looking for playing time. It sucks to lose a Tyrese Hunter if you're Iowa State, but they can still put a good product on the floor. Makes it all the more important for us to get local plan A targets

In my opinion if you think money hasn't been changing hands at massive rates prior, then you are just choosing to look the other way. Go listen to Fred Taylor's interview with Barstool from a few weeks ago. He said on signing day there was a bag with like $50k sitting at his house from Georgia to sign with them, and he said there were Georgia boosters who told him when he needed cash (He said a thousand + at a time) just to ask. And spoiler, he didnt even sign there! That means the bag he got from Florida was bigger! You can not like it, I understand why people don't like it, but its just the reality and has been that way forever.

I have no issues with the kids getting paid, its not my money, if T Boone Pickens wants to pay kids $1m a year to play at OK St, thats on him and the kid. The one thing I do not like is the under the table stuff and kids leaving just for that. As someone said before, if a kid (especially a stud like Hunter) is leaving now, I am sure he already knows where he is going and what he is getting, that I don't like. Now, is there anything you can do about that? Doubtful, the only thing I can think is that you go back to 100% of transfers sit a year, no if ands or buts, you want that money and they want you then ok, but you cant play for a year. I think that would stop a lot of this sneaking around business.

and dont worry, if I come up with the next billion dollar idea I will be lining up the contracts for kids haha. There will be 12 5* kids on the team every GD year! :)

Went from 42 pages to 77 (and counting) just today.

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Let’s define heavy hitters, if Boone Pickens & Michigan State billionaires are Barry bonds & Shohei Ohtani, we’d be…
Nick Punto and Rey Sanchez.

The bold part was on there, that is a classic line hahaha

Or plan to be mediocre.

I presume that last line is some jab at my recent posts so I'll bite. You are not seeing the bigger vision.

If the entire state wore their Gopher jerseys, the 3Ms, Targets, Best Buys of MN will know that fans have a passion about the program and want to play ball in the NIL game. Right now, they see such little interest that it is not worth spending valuable advertising and outreach dollars in this area.

If the entire state wore their Gopher jerseys, the wealthy donors of MN will become more engaged in the U of M athletic program and start spreading their $$ to athletics as they see that as part of the fabric of the state's culture rather than focusing just on the arts. We need those donors and future wealthy donors to be engaged in this program.

If the entire state wore their Gopher jerseys, local kids would develop a love for the U and dream of representing this quality institution and local prep athletes would see the support for the team and be more drawn to represent their home state. We need to give them another reason to stay.

Top Bottom