2022 Minnesota Bowl Projection Tracker

God, I would love to play — and beat — yet another SEC team in yet another bowl game.

The 2019 win against Auburn was absolutely delicious. They never knew what hit 'em.

This is only my 10th year as a true Gopher football fan but the Outback Bowl victory was the highest point for me. My favorite drive of that game was one where we didn't score - the last one where we grinded the ball for over 11 minutes. The body language of their All American defensive linemen in those closing minutes was priceless.

Most people around here seem to value league rivalries more than anything but the bowl performance means the most to me. It's the last game of the year and the one that you carry with you for the next 8 months. It's also the one where you're performing on a truly national stage without so many concurrently competing games.

I really wish we didn't have to play so many SEC teams in bowls. It's not the conference quality that bothers me. I just wish that the other three P5 conferences were better represented among our bowl opponents. Like most people, I was angry at our bowl assignment last season but it was at least a very rare (lately) opportunity to play a Big 12 team in a bowl.

I’d probably head to Orlando, Nashville, or Tampa honestly. Those are all great trips, but I’m hopeful that an Indianapolis loss would send us to the Rose if the B1G champion went to the cfp. Would probably require us going like 11-2 though and sweeping the crossover games.

I assume all those citrus bowl picks have Michigan in the Rose Bowl and OSU in the cfp.

Last edited:

I’d probably head to Orlando, Nashville, or Tampa honestly. Those are all great trips, but I’m hopeful that an Indianapolis loss would send us to the Rose if the B1G champion went to the cfp. Would probably require us going like 11-2 though and sweeping the crossover games.

I assume all those citrus bowl picks have Michigan in the Rose Bowl and OSU in the cfp.
My belief has been that if we don't actually win the Big Ten championship outright, we'll probably need to have one more win than the second place team in the Big Ten East, so enter the Big Ten championship game at 12-0 if the loser of Ohio State/Michigan ends up 11-1. I'd guess an 11-1 Michigan or Ohio State gets taken over an 11-2 Minnesota. But maybe some other NY6 bid is still possible even if we miss out on the Rose Bowl? I think I remember the Fiesta, Orange, Peach, and Cotton Bowls all taking Big Ten teams in the recent past, but the Fiesta and Peach Bowls are the playoff games this year. Not really certain on the circumstances that allow a Big Ten team to get into one of the other bowls. But maybe at 11-2 we'd only be ranked #18 or something due to a weak schedule and miss out on the NY6 anyway.

All right everyone, get ready to book your bowl trip because here is what the prognosticators have told locked in on.....

We are going to be playing in the Pinstripe bowl against Syracuse or Wake Forest or North Carolina or Louisville or Pittsburgh

But we might also be playing in the Music City Bowl against South Carolina or Florida or Ole Miss

Then again it could be the Citrus Bowl against Arkansas or Tennessee

But maybe it will be the ReliaQuest Bowl against Ole Miss or Mississippi State

Or possibly the Duke's Mayo bowl against Pittsburgh or Florida.

Don't get me wrong...I love this thread and the early season bowl projections crack me up....but they are so worthless in terms of accuracy. Can see why the sponsors love it though as they get months of free advertising to go along with all these projections.

Can't wait to see how many other locations and teams get added to this list. Not a ton more locations but there are a few, list of potential opponents is likely to grow a lot though.
Yes, they're worthless in terms of accuracy. But the the bowl lineup is based in part on where we stand in the conference overall -- especially for national people who don't worry about the details of which location a team went to last year, etc. It's fun to see where people think we are in the Big Ten pecking order overall. It seems like we picked up a few more Florida guesses this week, probably because Michigan State lost.

But maybe some other NY6 bid is still possible even if we miss out on the Rose Bowl? I think I remember the Fiesta, Orange, Peach, and Cotton Bowls all taking Big Ten teams in the recent past, but the Fiesta and Peach Bowls are the playoff games this year. Not really certain on the circumstances that allow a Big Ten team to get into one of the other bowls. But maybe at 11-2 we'd only be ranked #18 or something due to a weak schedule and miss out on the NY6 anyway.

I think if we end up 11-2 before the bowl assignments, we're probably ranked higher than #18. I'd say that our schedule is somewhat better than it was in 2019. We were ranked around #15-#16 at the end of the 2019 regular season after finishing 10-2. If we ended up 11-2, that means that we likely will have a 11-1 regular season with a loss in the Big Ten championship.

I think it all depends upon what Penn State does for the rest of the season. Right now I'm seeing them picked for a NY6 (like the Orange Bowl). If they have 3 losses on the season and we have an 11-2 record, I think our chances of getting a non-playoff NY6 would be pretty good.

247 first out of the gate:

Citrus Bowl

Projected matchup: Minnesota vs. Texas A&M

Major changes in the SEC's upper-tier bowl games, Texas A&M replaces Arkansas in Orlando for this week's Citrus Bowl distinction after holding off the Razorbacks at AT&T Stadium in Arlington. Jimbo Fisher has found his quarterback in LSU transfer Max Johnson and the Aggies have won consecutive games against nationally-ranked teams after their season was pushed to the brink following the upset loss to Appalachian State in Week 2.

Go Gophers!!

After yesterday's events I'm waiting for someone to go out there and call for Rose.

It's very defensible for a team many computer models show winning the 2nd most games in the Big Ten (10+) and with the best chances to win a division outside of Georgia and Bama.

I think that Music City projection is from last week; their full Bowl slate projections usually don't come out til around noon today.....

I think that Music City projection is from last week; their full Bowl slate projections usually don't come out til around noon today.....
Nopy, you're correct. Palm still has us in Nashville.

After yesterday's events I'm waiting for someone to go out there and call for Rose.

It's very defensible for a team many computer models show winning the 2nd most games in the Big Ten (10+) and with the best chances to win a division outside of Georgia and Bama.
I think there already had been. RJ young has been since preseason

Iowa is 3-1 with Nebraska and northwestern still on the schedule.
I would say Iowa is the team to beat in the west if it isn’t Mn
Them beating world beaters SDSU, Nevada, and Rutgers - and looking bad in the process. Even though they got steamrolled last night, I think WI is the 2nd best team in the West.

Them beating world beaters SDSU, Nevada, and Rutgers - and looking bad in the process. Even though they got steamrolled last night, I think WI is the 2nd best team in the West.
Agree. I predict wi will go 6-3 and Iowa will go 5-4 in the B1G!

I think Wisconsin offense is as bad as Iowa offense but defense isn’t as good

Plus
Iowa more likely to beat Michigan at home than Wisconsin is to beat Ohio state (since they already lost LoL)

No, it's Iowa with the nation's best defense. Whisky is mediocre on both sides of the ball.

Decided to schedule my second knee surgery for November 29th, which will basically have me out of commission for travel well into January.

Knew that I was taking a risk on a bowl game but now am starting to consider rescheduling till later January.

Mrs. Billd will not be pleased with that although she was bummed we would miss a bowl one way or the other under my 11/29 timeline.

I think Wisconsin offense is as bad as Iowa offense but defense isn’t as good

Plus
Iowa more likely to beat Michigan at home than Wisconsin is to beat Ohio state (since they already lost LoL)
What makes you say this? Mertz has played much better than Petras. Allen and Mellusi are a great and good back. Losing Cundiff is a blow but Wisconsin's pass catchers are better than anything Iowa has.

Top Bottom