2022 Minnesota Bowl Projection Tracker

I think Gophers would flock to Pasedena in droves if given the chance.
Exactly, OSU and Mich play for the championship and the Rose Bowl is a consolation prize to them now. The gophs are not in the same boat, tons of gopher fans would flock to the rose bowl. The gophs would likely sell out the initial ticket allotment fairly quickly.

Obviously it’s a long ways off but we really need Michigan to lose a game before they play OSU. Any chance we have of going to the elusive Rose Bowl is to not have Michigan and OSU in top 7-8 before BT title game.
Michigan isn’t very good

Didn’t OSU have a pretty poor showing at the Rose Bowl last year? The Gophers going to the Rose Bowl would be a once in a generation (or 2) moment. I think all bets based on previous travel history would be off.
They didn't have Olave or Wilson and were still able to beat a good Utah team

This sounds right. Similar to Iowa's cinderella run several years ago. They only made the Rose Bowl because they were still undefeated headed to Indianpolis.

13-0: CFP
12-1 (win in Indy): CFP
12-1 (loss in Indy): Rose Bowl
11-2 (win in Indy): Most likely random NY6 with an outside shot at Rose.
11-2 (loss in Indy): Random NY6 or Citrus (this is the one where I really hope we eek out a NY6 because I think it's a likely finish)
10-3 (still get to and lose in Indy): Citrus Bowl
Worse: Tampa/Music City
Generally agree with this, though I think the Rose Bowl is required to take the Big Ten champion if they don't go to the playoff. 11-2 with a Big Ten title would put us in the Rose Bowl I think. I'd be curious then if a 12-1 Ohio State without a Big Ten title would still make the playoff in that scenario.

Also agree with another poster that, as someone who hasn't been pining for the Rose Bowl for 50 years, the Orange Bowl would be still be an amazing end to the season. I believe the Orange Bowl takes the top ranked team from Big Ten/SEC/Notre Dame, and if you assume the CFP gets 2 SEC teams, then the 3rd place SEC team goes to the Sugar Bowl, I think Minnesota would only have to be ahead of the #4 SEC team (and probably ranked in between Michigan and Penn State) to get the Orange Bowl bid.

Generally agree with this, though I think the Rose Bowl is required to take the Big Ten champion if they don't go to the playoff. 11-2 with a Big Ten title would put us in the Rose Bowl I think.
Great point. That totally went over my head as I was thinking through those scenarios.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the BCS era and not the days of the B10-Pac10 traditional Rose Bowl, but to me the Orange Bowl would be just as nice as the Rose Bowl.
Even within the BCS era the orange bowl doesn't hold a candle to the Rose Bowl for me. Those mountains, that grass, that field painting, the parade, etc. It is just the best bowl game of them all and another aspect is it is always played at the same time of day and that grows its traditional feel.

If the Gophers went to the Rose Bowl, a lot of people would be shocked at the number of people from MN that would be clamoring for tickets.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the BCS era and not the days of the B10-Pac10 traditional Rose Bowl, but to me the Orange Bowl would be just as nice as the Rose Bowl.

I remember being a kid and thinking how cool it would be for one of our players to have a rose in his teeth after the final game. The Rose Bowl was always the goal...

I don't get this line of thinking at all. This isn't the 1970's or 80's. The ultimate prize is a national championship.
I just want to go to the Rose Bowl parade and see the team play there. Everyone else has had that chance since 1962. I'm in the extreme minority, but I would prefer a 14-0 season with a rose bowl win than I would with a 15-0 season and a national title.

I don't get this line of thinking at all. This isn't the 1970's or 80's. The ultimate prize is a national championship.

This is the only answer. People would rather play a weaker Pac-12 team with players potentially sitting out over the opportunity to shut up Alabama fans with a full roster of players and a chance to win the national championship?

If we're at the level of playing in a CFP game, the Rose Bowl will come sooner than later.

Yours is. That's fine.

I want to go watch the Gophers in the Rose Bowl. Would mean much more to me than something that didnt exist when i was forming my longtime Gopher fandom, and which I don't really GAF about.

This is the only answer. People would rather play a weaker Pac-12 team with players potentially sitting out over the opportunity to shut up Alabama fans with a full roster of players and a chance to win the national championship?

If we're at the level of playing in a CFP game, the Rose Bowl will come sooner than later.

Yup. In my mind, I'd love to see the players and coaches add another conference title sign to the stadium ring (even though it's a lot harder to get a conference title now than it was pre-1990s). A CFP appearance means they did that. That's my top hope.

Yours is. That's fine.

I want to go watch the Gophers in the Rose Bowl. Would mean much more to me than something that didnt exist when i was forming my longtime Gopher fandom, and which I don't really GAF about.

My guess is that for the team (any team), winning a championship is the holy grail.
This is very much like the people who complain that the uniforms aren't the same as they were in the 1960's. The world has changed.

It's also so typical Minnesotan. Settle for something less.

1664306317467.png

My guess is that for the team (any team), winning a championship is the holy grail.
This is very much like the people who complain that the uniforms aren't the same as they were in the 1960's. The world has changed.

I've seen lots of complaints from people who don't like the uniforms (for various reasons), but I don't remember seeing anyone complain that the current uniforms don't look like the uniforms from the 60s.

Maybe I missed those posts.

It's also so typical Minnesotan. Settle for something less.
You don't care about the Rose Bowl as much as some posters here. For some of us the Rose Bowl is the thing we've been aspiring for as a fan, and thus it doesn't have anything to do with settling for less. The changing landscape of postseason college football hasn't changed my, or apparently some other fan's, desire to see the team in Pasadena for the first time in our lifetimes.

Yours is. That's fine.

A national championship is not the ultimate prize? Interesting. What's the title of this forum again??

You don't care about the Rose Bowl as much as some posters here. For some of us the Rose Bowl is the thing we've been aspiring for as a fan, and thus it doesn't have anything to do with settling for less. The changing landscape of postseason college football hasn't changed my, or apparently some other fan's, desire to see the team in Pasadena for the first time in our lifetimes.

It has been my dream for a long time to see the Gophs play in the Rowl Bowl. Not only for the pageantry surrounding that game, but also because it meant that the Gophs won a BG10 championship. Nowadays, it's more likely the Gophs make the Rose Bowl as a second place team than a first place team, so its importance to me has declined. Personally, I'd rather see the Gophs play in the Fiesta, Orange, Cotton or Peach bowls as conference champs in a first round CFP game than the Rose Bowl as the 2nd place team. That's just me.

Regardless, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll put this dream in a similar category as winning the lottery for a few more weeks.

Last edited:

It has been my dream for a long time to see the Gophs play in the Rowl Bowl. Not only for the pageantry surrounding that game, but also because it meant that the Gophs won a BG10 championship. Nowadays, it's more likely the Gophs make the Rose Bowl as a second place team than a first place team, so it's importance to me has declined. Personally, I'd rather see the Gophs play in the Fiesta, Orange, Cotton or Peach bowls as conference champs in a first round CFP game than the Rose Bowl as the 2nd place team. That's just me.

Regardless, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll put this dream in a similar category as winning the lottery for a few more weeks.
Since seeing that there is a 5% chance of making the Rose Bowl as the Big Ten champ I hope that we can both be satisfied and win the conference and make the rose bowl.

CFP > Rose Bowl > other NY6 Bowl > all other bowls from Citrus to Detroit

So we have people that would pass on a national championship, or a shot at it, because the Rose Bowl reminds them of when they were a kid? Should the bowls go back to being exhibitions again too?

I don’t even know what to say.

In stand alone fashion the Rose Bowl is indeed the best and many a Minnesotan would shed a tear if the Gophers played in it. But I would assume nearly all would forget about it in a hurry if the alternative is a legit shot at a national championship.

So we have people that would pass on a national championship, or a shot at it, because the Rose Bowl reminds them of when they were a kid? Should the bowls go back to being exhibitions again too?

In stand alone fashion the Rose Bowl is indeed the best and many a Minnesotan would shed a tear if the Gophers played in it. But I would assume nearly all would forget about it in a hurry if the alternative is a legit shot at a national championship.

Been amused that we've swept right past the fact that the Gophers haven't had a single loss season since 1956. There have only been a pair of 2 loss seasons since 1967. Yet we went right to arguing if fans should be upset or not if they got to the Rose Bowl instead of the College Playoffs!

Last edited:

The Rose Bowl to me is just the thing that has been unattainable. My wife's mother was born just after Christmas in '61. Her father decided to not attend the Rose Bowl and said he'd go again the next time. He died at 94 having never gone. I have no idea if the college football landscape will even look remotely the same in 5-10 years and that is why, if I could pick, I'd like to see the team in Pasadena.

Yes. I think the current setup sucks. Any other questions?

And before anyone asks I am 42 not 90 and I have never once cared about the CFP and never watch it. I don't even bet on it in Vegas that is how little it matters to me. Let the SEC care about it and tout it.

I don't care if others agree that is just how I personally feel.

had this thought the other day -- as long as we're spinning out scenarios:

let's say the Gophs run the table in the regular season, go 12-0 and lose the B1G title game to OSU.

Does a 12-1 Gopher team make the CFP?

I could see a scenario where the Gophs go 12-1 and win up as the #5 team in the final rankings.

in that scenario, would fans be upset at going to the Rose Bowl - because they think the Gophers deserved to be in the CFP?

that would be the most Gopher thing ever - make it back to the Rose Bowl and still be upset......

Top Bottom