2021 Other Bowl Games Thread

What a difference a day (or two) makes… B1G looks like complete shit in the upper tier bowls, brutal.
Meh. That's how the narrative will go (esp on ESPN), but in reality Iowa played tough and almost beat the #4 team in the SEC and PSU minus like 6 guys (multiple draft picks) hung around most of the game... Plus they should've never been in the Outback with a losing conference record. I bet you Minnesota wins that game and PSU - WV would've been close but a win

Meh. That's how the narrative will go (esp on ESPN), but in reality Iowa played tough and almost beat the #4 team in the SEC and PSU minus like 6 guys (multiple draft picks) hung around most of the game... Plus they should've never been in the Outback with a losing conference record. I bet you Minnesota wins that game and PSU - WV would've been close but a win
I agree. Minnesota would have won the Outback.

What a difference a day (or two) makes… B1G looks like complete shit in the upper tier bowls, brutal.

Idk about shit. Iowa played Kentucky tough. That was a good game with great defense and brutal offense. Again....Penn State should never have been in the Outback Bowl. They would have had a game with ASU.....and probably would have handled WVU. Wisconsin or Minnesota would have played Arkansas much tougher.

Idk about shit. Iowa played Kentucky tough. That was a good game with great defense and brutal offense. Again....Penn State should never have been in the Outback Bowl. They would have had a game with ASU.....and probably would have handled WVU. Wisconsin or Minnesota would have played Arkansas much tougher.
I'm saying the same thing. Swap Minnesota and State Penn and I think both win

Looking at the Fiesta Bowl, I think the gophs beat Okie State and probably Notre Dame.

And just like that, B1G is 5-4. Really let us down in this later half of games.

Nice choke jobs today by Iowa and Notre Dame. :giggle:
captain-underpants-captain-underpants-gi-fs.gif

It’s been discussed, but tOSU players opting out of the Rose Bowl is just gross. If you’re not going to play in the Rose Bowl, why play in the regular season? Just WTF.
I wish the announcers would quit elaborating on the opt-outs. Just call it what it is-quitters. We dont want to hear about them. They aren't there, concentrate on the players that are participating in the actual game.

T
Because for tOSU, the Rose is a letdown. The goal is the CFP.
This is only the 3rd time they’ve played in it in the past 25 years. It’s still a big deal. If you’re going to pout over losing 1 game and not getting into the CFP, I want nothing to do with that player as an NFL GM. But that’s just me.

Because for tOSU, the Rose is a letdown. The goal is the CFP.
I wonder if any likely high-level pro prospects for Alabama would have opted out of a bowl game if the Tide hadn't made the CFP. I'm certainly not advocating that route, but it just seems that for programs that view anything but the CFP a let-down, players who plan on leaving early for the pros do that with some regularity.

I wonder if any likely high-level pro prospects for Alabama would have opted out of a bowl game if the Tide hadn't made the CFP. I'm certainly not advocating that route, but it just seems that for programs that view anything but the CFP a let-down, players who plan on leaving early for the pros do that with some regularity.
I think that would have happened without question.
This article discusses that expanding the playoffs would likely result in fewer opt outs, because playing for a shot at a national title would matter to most more than a bowl.

ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit on players opting out of bowl games: 'I think this era of player just doesn't love football'

I wonder how that works. Do they pay ESPN or something? Fiesta Bowl needs better terms then.
It’s the most valuable TV property among all the bowls outside the CFP games so they can dictate terms. The Grandaddy of the All, don’t you know.

I know it’ll open things up to more criticism of the BT by the media but I’m fine with Utah winning. They’re actually excited to be there.
Agreed. 60k fans there, zero opt outs among the players, just pure joy. Someday Minnesota will make it and the story will be similar. Keep the faith!

I really don't care who wins the Rose Bowl, but it looks like one team is happy to be there and the other would rather be watching the game back at the hotel.

Regardless of the game result this is a damn gorgeous uniform matchup. Both teams brought their A games to Pasedena.

Also, Notre Dame is now 0-8 in BCS/NY6 bowls.

Both of these notes bring me pleasure for different reasons.

I think that would have happened without question.
This article discusses that expanding the playoffs would likely result in fewer opt outs, because playing for a shot at a national title would matter to most more than a bowl.

ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit on players opting out of bowl games: 'I think this era of player just doesn't love football'
They had an extended honest conversation about it today on GameDay and all three ex-players agreed it’s different today for some, but not all players.

I don’t know if there is a way to address it to limit or not, but hopefully the powers that be can take a look at it

I honestly would like to see a game between the Gophs and Cincinnati. But I would really like to put Rossi's defense against Bama and Georgia. Just as a measuring stick.

They had an extended honest conversation about it today on GameDay and all three ex-players agreed it’s different today for some, but not all players.

I don’t know if there is a way to address it to limit or not, but hopefully the powers that be can take a look at it
I don't know that there is anything they can do. Just like guys leaving school right after the basketball season as a one and done to enter the NBA draft. But those guys aren't skipping the NCAA tournament.

Why? Because it matters. Bowl games do not matter in the CFP era as they once did.

It’s been discussed, but tOSU players opting out of the Rose Bowl is just gross. If you’re not going to play in the Rose Bowl, why play in the regular season? Just WTF.

You could tell Herbstreit on Gameday this morning was disgusted with the opt outs (being an OSU alumn).

Stroud is a better pure passer than Young at this point in their careers

You could tell Herbstreit on Gameday this morning was disgusted with the opt outs (being an OSU alumn).
Herbstreit was never a pro prospect, so even if the CFP had existed then, he'd have had no reason to opt out of anything. Howard may have felt differently had he come up today as he was a pro prospect who played 11 seasons in the NFL.

Top Bottom