2021-2022 College Football Coach Hire/Fire Thread

Some whispers that old friend Jerry Kill might be in line for the New Mexico State job. What are Tracy Claeys and the rest of the boys doing these days?

Get the band back together in Las Cruces! Home of "Aggievision"

Report: James Franklin to Sign New Penn State Contract amid Exit Rumors

Penn State head football coach James Franklin is reportedly set to sign an "enhanced contract" to remain with the Nittany Lions after being rumored as a candidate for the LSU and USC coaching vacancies.

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg reported Tuesday that Franklin's situation is "expected to be settled very soon" as the idea of rebuilding the Tigers' or Trojans' roster wasn't "overly appealing" for the 49-year-old Pennsylvania native.

It will be interesting to see who ends up at the high profile jobs that are available. Will they be able to lure away a sitting power 5 coach, or will they have to dig a little deeper to find their next guy?

Just waiting for Ted Lasso's father to get back in the game.
Robb Reeves is HC at Hill- Murray
Dan O'Brien is HC at St. Thomas Academy
Tracy Claeys in running his own bar
Jay Sawvel is DC at Wyoming
Brian Anderson is RB coach at Kansas State
Bart Miller is OL at Illinois
Jeff Phelps is DL coach at Mississippi State
Pat Poore is at Southern Illinois
Matt Limegrover is OL coach at Arkansas State

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg reported Tuesday that Franklin's situation is "expected to be settled very soon" as the idea of rebuilding the Tigers' or Trojans' roster wasn't "overly appealing" for the 49-year-old Pennsylvania native.​

It became especially unappealing when Franklin was informed that he would not be offered either of those jobs.

This Mel Tucker contract is bonkers. I can’t imagine how that contract would go over in the Twin Cities. He’s getting $9.5 million per year, fully guaranteed, WITH JUST A $2.5 MILLION BUYOUT FOR HIM TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Tucker’s agent is worth every penny. That is an absurd payout based on 3/4 of a season.

So I see Cristobal is listed as an odds on guy for Florida. Serious question is that a better gig than Oregon? I get that he’s a Florida guy and that alone could bring him home but wouldn’t it be easier to make the CFP in Oregon? Weaker conference, less pressure, huge alumni support. I’m not sure that’s a “better” gig especially when it seems if you lose any given year you are out. I get that Florida is insanely rich with football talent but the West Coast certainly isn’t barren.

So I see Cristobal is listed as an odds on guy for Florida. Serious question is that a better gig than Oregon? I get that he’s a Florida guy and that alone could bring him home but wouldn’t it be easier to make the CFP in Oregon? Weaker conference, less pressure, huge alumni support. I’m not sure that’s a “better” gig especially when it seems if you lose any given year you are out. I get that Florida is insanely rich with football talent but the West Coast certainly isn’t barren.
Think about the quality of life and relative pressure at Oregon mixed with Nike money.

Think about the quality of life and relative pressure at Oregon mixed with Nike money.
I think you are agreeing with me that it might be not a great move to go to Florida given the facilities (supposedly the best in CFB), Nike money, less pressure to win, and an easier road to CFP?

This Mel Tucker contract is bonkers. I can’t imagine how that contract would go over in the Twin Cities. He’s getting $9.5 million per year, fully guaranteed, WITH JUST A $2.5 MILLION BUYOUT FOR HIM TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Tucker’s agent is worth every penny. That is an absurd payout based on 3/4 of a season.
If his agent doesn't win Agent of the Year someone needs to go up on the stage of that Radisson Multipurpose Hall B and pull a Kanye and protest.

It's the best of all worlds for a guy who did less than what Fleck did in 2019 at Minnesota, but gets more than 2x the money and is still free to take whatever job he wants.

Dan Campbell might be looking for a job outside the NFL. He has a very interesting strategy on timeouts.

It looks like we can put to rest the Fleck to Florida rumors.

I think you are agreeing with me that it might be not a great move to go to Florida given the facilities (supposedly the best in CFB), Nike money, less pressure to win, and an easier road to CFP?
Exactly, if it weren't from him being from FL there is zero reason to leave OR.

Robb Reeves is HC at Hill- Murray
Dan O'Brien is HC at St. Thomas Academy
Tracy Claeys in running his own bar
Jay Sawvel is DC at Wyoming
Brian Anderson is RB coach at Kansas State
Bart Miller is OL at Illinois
Jeff Phelps is DL coach at Mississippi State
Pat Poore is at Southern Illinois
Matt Limegrover is OL coach at Arkansas State
What’s the name of Clayes’ bar?

Good for him, hopefully good for USC. I hate to say it, but college football is better when some of these typical helmet schools are relevant. It's not good for 80% of the relevant programs to be in the SEC. USC has been down long enough. I would expect Riley to get his pick of the high caliber HS QB's that come out of California in the coming years.

I'm not sold on Lincoln Riley as the next great CFB coach. He's standing right next to Ryan Day on 3rd base without a triple.

I would rather live in LA than Norman, Oklahoma but there's plenty of ways this could go bad for USC and Riley, considering he's never built a program from anything other than the top.

Top Bottom