2021-2022 College Football Coach Hire/Fire Thread

This Mel Tucker contract is bonkers. I can’t imagine how that contract would go over in the Twin Cities. He’s getting $9.5 million per year, fully guaranteed, WITH JUST A $2.5 MILLION BUYOUT FOR HIM TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Tucker’s agent is worth every penny. That is an absurd payout based on 3/4 of a season.
It’ll probably cost him like 2.5 million plus 3 million per year to leave since no one is paying him more than 5.5 except Michigan state

I'm not sold on Lincoln Riley as the next great CFB coach. He's standing right next to Ryan Day on 3rd base without a triple.

I would rather live in LA than Norman, Oklahoma but there's plenty of ways this could go bad for USC and Riley, considering he's never built a program from anything other than the top.
Yeah. And Oklahoma is going to learn it’s easier to be a big fish in a medium pond than a medium fish in a big pond (see Nebraska)

Riley must have a pretty good agent. Is currently being paid $7.5 mil/year from OU, but OU is only owed a buyout of $4.5mil from USC for poaching him.

I think you are agreeing with me that it might be not a great move to go to Florida given the facilities (supposedly the best in CFB), Nike money, less pressure to win, and an easier road to CFP?He's going to get paid a lot more by another helmet school in a much easier conference to win in.
plus which locale is a more desirable place to live?

Tracy Claeys never struck me as the sort to come up with a clever name. I bet it's got chicken fingers and Bud Light on draft. Maybe some onion rings on Fridays when the chef's feeling frisky.
What does a draft of chicken fingers taste like?

I'm not sold on Lincoln Riley as the next great CFB coach. He's standing right next to Ryan Day on 3rd base without a triple.

I would rather live in LA than Norman, Oklahoma but there's plenty of ways this could go bad for USC and Riley, considering he's never built a program from anything other than the top.
Being in Oklahoma is like doing time, I'd bolt for LA too.

I would expect Riley to get his pick of the high caliber HS QB's that come out of California in the coming years.
You should take a look at the recent de-commits from the Southern California area that were “committed” to OU.

This is a big surprise to me. Big get for USC. It's kind of a weird move. On the one hand, USC operates in a conference that would be much much easier to compete in than the SEC; almost like Oklahoma's position as a big dog in the Big 12. On the other hand, USC and LA in general have diminished reputations and Riley hasn't built a program (granted, it's not like USC has fallen off the map).

I was surprised to see Oklahoma has only 4 California players on its roster, so Riley might need to bolster than pipeline. He doesn't have a West Coast background. Maybe that can be turned into a positive that could help recruit Texas players.

This might be the first off-season I can remember with no Big Ten coaching changes. With promises made, recent successes for the disappointing teams, tenure, contracts...it would be a major surprise for any of the jobs to turn over between now and next season.

This might be the first off-season I can remember with no Big Ten coaching changes. With promises made, recent successes for the disappointing teams, tenure, contracts...it would be a major surprise for any of the jobs to turn over between now and next season.
The big underperformers were overpeformers in prior year, plus you have BB and Schiano just being hired.

Frost look to hire as WR coach and recruiting coordinator
WO coach for Justin Jefferson, and others.

I just don't see any person being able to recruit that kind of talent from the deep south or wherever to Lincoln, Nebraska.

Unless they revert to Tom Osborne era level of cheating.

The Lincoln Riley move is an interesting one. There seem to be some rumors that he wasn't happy about the move to the SEC. Surely makes more money for the athletic department, but also makes his job a lot harder.

IMO there is also something to be said about the quality of life in LA vs Norman. Not just in terms of a "higher-class" society, but more in how he is able to live his life. I'd imagine he can't really go anywhere in Norman without being recognized. Can't run to Target, can't go out to dinner unless he's getting a private room in the back, can't go to school events for his kids, etc. In LA he'll be a C-list celebrity, and will be able to do those things in relative anonymity. Some coaches probably love being the king of a college town, but others don't want the extra attention when they are off the clock, especially with a young family.

I don't get the sense this was a money thing. He's probably not getting a huge raise in the net with the higher taxes in California. Was making about $8M per year at Oklahoma, and I bet he could have gotten them to match whatever he was offered by USC if he really wanted to stay.

Top Bottom