2021-2022 College Football Coach Hire/Fire Thread

He is a really good coach, and he grew up about 10 miles from the Minnesota border.
He was the coach at the University of Sioux Falls when I was in college and I had several friends who went there. They were a nearly unbeatable powerhouse under him.

ND is the first job opening linked to Luke Fickell that makes sense!

The Purge Has Begun​

colin.lavery - 12h ago
Less than 24 hours after yet another miserable effort from the 2021 Indiana football team, Tom Allen announced that he was taking a pay-cut and firing offensive coordinator Nick Sheridan. Probably the best or most significant part about this is the apparent urgency on Allen’s part, since there was some concern that he could be reluctant to fire a good friend.

The Lincoln Riley move is an interesting one. There seem to be some rumors that he wasn't happy about the move to the SEC. Surely makes more money for the athletic department, but also makes his job a lot harder.

IMO there is also something to be said about the quality of life in LA vs Norman. Not just in terms of a "higher-class" society, but more in how he is able to live his life. I'd imagine he can't really go anywhere in Norman without being recognized. Can't run to Target, can't go out to dinner unless he's getting a private room in the back, can't go to school events for his kids, etc. In LA he'll be a C-list celebrity, and will be able to do those things in relative anonymity. Some coaches probably love being the king of a college town, but others don't want the extra attention when they are off the clock, especially with a young family.

I don't get the sense this was a money thing. He's probably not getting a huge raise in the net with the higher taxes in California. Was making about $8M per year at Oklahoma, and I bet he could have gotten them to match whatever he was offered by USC if he really wanted to stay.
Not for the money?
What you smokin over there?
🧐🧐🧐

Lincoln Riley USC contract details (not confirmed; best I could do):
- $110 million
- USC buying both his homes in Norman for $500,000 over asking ($1 million bonus)
- Buying a $6 million home in LA for him
- Unlimited use of the private jet 24/7 for family
#Sooners #Trojans

The Lincoln Riley move is an interesting one. There seem to be some rumors that he wasn't happy about the move to the SEC. Surely makes more money for the athletic department, but also makes his job a lot harder.

IMO there is also something to be said about the quality of life in LA vs Norman. Not just in terms of a "higher-class" society, but more in how he is able to live his life. I'd imagine he can't really go anywhere in Norman without being recognized. Can't run to Target, can't go out to dinner unless he's getting a private room in the back, can't go to school events for his kids, etc. In LA he'll be a C-list celebrity, and will be able to do those things in relative anonymity. Some coaches probably love being the king of a college town, but others don't want the extra attention when they are off the clock, especially with a young family.
Also in places like NYC and LA it is considered gauche for denizens of those cities to bother celebs. I’ve seen 20+ Well known in my time living here so it ends up being commonplace after a while.

also the average person there could give 2 hoots about the SC coach; Pete Carrol was the obvious exception as he cultivated it openly by having celebs at practices etc.
I don't get the sense this was a money thing. He's probably not getting a huge raise in the net with the higher taxes in California. Was making about $8M per year at Oklahoma, and I bet he could have gotten them to match whatever he was offered by USC if he really wanted to stay.

Not for the money?
What you smokin over there?
🧐🧐🧐

Lincoln Riley USC contract details (not confirmed; best I could do):
- $110 million
- USC buying both his homes in Norman for $500,000 over asking ($1 million bonus)
- Buying a $6 million home in LA for him
- Unlimited use of the private jet 24/7 for family
#Sooners #Trojans
He’s going to pay a lot more in taxes in CA and was already making $8M per year. Do you really think OU wouldn’t have matched? If Mich St can give Mel Tucker $95M, then OU can surely come up with $110M

He was the coach at the University of Sioux Falls when I was in college and I had several friends who went there. They were a nearly unbeatable powerhouse under him.
In NAIA. How have they been since joining the Northern Sun?

In NAIA. How have they been since joining the Northern Sun?
They won the NSIC in 2016, breaking a pretty dominant streak of titles from UMD and MSU before and since.

They have the highest conference winning percentage all time at .782. Of course thats over a lot fewer games because they are new to the conference. Still, definitely a strong program. They have a beautiful stadium too.

They won the NSIC in 2016, breaking a pretty dominant streak of titles from UMD and MSU before and since.

They have the highest conference winning percentage all time at .782. Of course thats over a lot fewer games because they are new to the conference. Still, definitely a strong program. They have a beautiful stadium too.
Bolded is interesting, if you're saying they've only won the conference once since joining in 2012.

Bolded is interesting, if you're saying they've only won the conference once since joining in 2012.
It is. Looking at the records, which are very clunky to search through, it seems they've often been in second or third place, but always with a very good record.

The current Northern Sun is basically a hodgepodge of:

- the rest of the NCC schools that couldn't/wouldn't move up but didn't want to drop their programs
- the old Northern Sun, ie the second-tier DII conference in the NCC days (Winona State, etc.)
- NAIA move-ups (some from the DAC)
- Upper Iowa moved up from DIII, I believe

So it's not surprising that some of the programs are pretty weak and only a handful each year really compete for the title.

Kalen Deboer leaving Fresno State for Univ of Washington

I was secretly hoping Coach DeBoer would be available if Fleck left us. Good background story on Kalen from his hometown newspaper.

Top Bottom